2022 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

I really can’t stand Ivan Cleary. And I really can’t stand Nathan Cleary.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:I really can’t stand Ivan Cleary. And I really can’t stand Nathan Cleary.
Maybe now you know why NSWelshman can’t stand Smith(without the salary cap cheating mind you), he’s just too bloody good.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: April 1, 2022, 7:54 pm Panthers either have the worlds greatest strength and conditioning coach in the history of sport ever or there is something suss going on (Peptide Sharks 2011)

They physically perform head and shoulders above anyone to the point where it actually does not make sense. Even 2-3 years later other sides have legally not been able to bridge the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sure they’ve got a strong staff around them
But the biggest edge the panthers have is talent. They’ve got two really good and creative halves and have a catchment area that produces insanely gifted athletes who grow up playing footy for every other position.

It took them a while to figure how to structure their system to make sure they are identifying the talent early and developing them, but now it’s in place, it’s a production line with no signs of slowing down

Teams need to start targeting their young talent. I remember saying we should have been making calls on Izack Tago about 2 years ago when he was behind about 8-9 blokes. He’s in the side now and looks a phenomenal talent
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Postman Pat wrote: April 2, 2022, 1:12 am
greeneyed wrote:I really can’t stand Ivan Cleary. And I really can’t stand Nathan Cleary.
Maybe now you know why NSWelshman can’t stand Smith(without the salary cap cheating mind you), he’s just too bloody good.
Nah, it's because they are arrogant twats.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No that’s not the reason.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 2, 2022, 7:52 am
Nah, it's because they are arrogant twats.
Yep, that’s the reason.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:This Sharks Knights game is good. Sharks have some great passers in the team and some players who can break a tackle.
Sharks are a real fun side to watch at the moment. Good line speed in defence and eyes up footy in attack. That pass that Moylan popped up for Talakai, back on the inside was very nice. Unfortunately try was overturned. Like you say though if the NRL don't call that one back it opens it up for those devious coaches to exploit. Their entire spine is creative and all have decent ball skills.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Rick wrote: April 1, 2022, 7:54 pm Panthers either have the worlds greatest strength and conditioning coach in the history of sport ever or there is something suss going on (Peptide Sharks 2011)

They physically perform head and shoulders above anyone to the point where it actually does not make sense. Even 2-3 years later other sides have legally not been able to bridge the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sure they’ve got a strong staff around them
But the biggest edge the panthers have is talent. They’ve got two really good and creative halves and have a catchment area that produces insanely gifted athletes who grow up playing footy for every other position.

It took them a while to figure how to structure their system to make sure they are identifying the talent early and developing them, but now it’s in place, it’s a production line with no signs of slowing down

Teams need to start targeting their young talent. I remember saying we should have been making calls on Izack Tago about 2 years ago when he was behind about 8-9 blokes. He’s in the side now and looks a phenomenal talent
Yep. It's a freaking production line out there. Those finishes from May last night were pretty good. He managed to control his body position and balance really well. Tago does make a few errors in defence but what centre doesn't?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez Broncos not called for a knock on when touching the pass going in for a tackle.

I’ve seen them consistently called a knock on, as mentioned earlier in the thread I’ve seen tackles like the Titans one that led to the winning try often called knock on too.

Don’t tell me that call has led to yet another new and different interpretation of these situations. Those of us old enough will remember it was a potential match winning try to Todd Carney that first created the ’ball is considered knock on even if the player was attempting a tackle when the ball hit the hand from a pass).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez I’m getting sick of attacking players loitering around the defensive line whilst they’ve run block plays.

I’m glad the refs have been calling interference on these lately.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:Don’t tell me that call has led to yet another new and different interpretation of these situations. Those of us old enough will remember it was a potential match winning try to Todd Carney that first created the ’ball is considered knock on even if the player was attempting a tackle when the ball hit the hand from a pass).
I’m still bitter.

Agree with you on decoys as well. Glad to see them penalised, and prefer benefit of any grey to be with the defence if you’re screwing around in front of the ball. I’m sick of Raiders decoys lazily stopping in the line and giving away penalties or killing plays. Bellamy would have their guts for garters if they were Storm players.

On a related note one of my pet hates is the commentary saying “how is that obstruction? The defender still got there!”. Yeah, sure they did. Later and in poor position usually trying to stop a guy from the side or behind instead of in front. It’s really easy, you can’t disadvantage the defence.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

My God the Broncos are bad
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Your right Gangrenous about some of our players lazily hanging around the opposition line after a ball out the back.

Guler, Hors and Hudson Young are particularly bad.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2022 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Those were 3 in particular I had in mind.

The NRL need to tidy up this captains challenge nonsense. I can’t follow when you can and can’t challenge. Also they’re completely inconsistent, they just told Reynolds he can only challenge the holding down call, yet in the challenge against the Raiders last season the challenger (Melbourne?) was allowed to be completely wrong and have the decision overturned for an earlier infringement in the play and keep their challenge.

Reynolds should have insisted on reviewing the hold down and challenged the NRL about why sometimes the bunker is allowed to go back and look at other elements of the play and they aren’t here.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Lol Donkeys..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dylan brown looking more threatening this year... maybe we missed a trick there

Nah he wouldn't have come here anyway
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 3, 2022, 6:51 pm Dylan brown looking more threatening this year... maybe we missed a trick there

Nah he wouldn't have come here anyway
Ive watched them pretty closely this year, this game aside which was the flattest of flat tracks... it's been very much more of the same imo
And his game absolutely doesnt fit around Jack Wighton. Maybe as a Wighton replacement but he's not a ball player at all. Which is what we need.