All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

ChampionBets
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Canberra Raiders 2022 Previews with Steve Green

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 1: Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

The home team has lost their new half back, who has been ruled out for months. The Sharks have also lost their new lock, with McInnes ruled out for a few weeks. Although Fogarty is a more central player for the Raiders, the Sharks will also be missing Wade Graham and Jack Williams from the backrow, so I think the market has read too much into the loss of Fogarty.

The Sharks will also be without the underrated Connor Tracey in the centres, who will be replaced by Mulitalo. While I think he is a great player, Mulitalo has not played much centre and with Ikuvalu debuting for the club on the wing, this is a new looks Sharks outfit that can could be lacking cohesion for the opening rounds.

Making matters even more difficult for the Sharks, is the loss of new Coach Fitzgibbon due to a positive covid test. Although modern technology will enable the new coach to give all the directions he needs to, this is just another factor that could hurt the cohesion of the Sharks in this one.

For the Raiders, young gun Brad Schneider has been given first shot at making the Raiders 7 jersey his for the first half of the season and I like what I saw from him in the trials. With Hodgson always very creative around the ruck and Wighton now an experienced five eighth, the inexperienced half will be well taken care of in this Raiders line up.

A lot of the enthusiasm for the Sharks seems to have come after they demolished the Bulldogs in week 2 of the trials, but I thought that performance was more a reflection of the horrid completion rate and defence of the Bulldogs.

The Raiders on the other hand, looked fit and tough in their trials. With lots of depth, they have genuine competition for every spot besides the number 6 and at home, I am a little surprised the money has not come for the Raiders. The Raiders starting pack, featuring internationals such as Papalii, Tapine, Harawira-Naera , Whitehead and Hodgson, while young guys like Starling, Horsburgh and Guler looked great in the trials. Matt Elliott is a great addition, while Young is a dangerous edge runner and aggressive back rower.

Although it is sad to see Jarrod Croker lining up in reserve grade, it was a call that had to be made. James Schiller will get is NRL debut in Croker’s place and I really like what I have seen of Schiller in both the trials this year and playing for the Dragons in the NSW Cup last year. The nephew of Canberra legend Brett Mullins, Schiller actually displays many of the attributes of his Uncle and I think he will not relinquish this jersey and will become a permanent feature of the Green Machine for years to come.

The Raiders were very disappointing in 2021 and that is why I think punters are so gun shy here, while the recruitment of Hynes and Finucane from the Storm, and new coach Fitzgibbon is seeing a lot of people picking the Sharks to make the 8 in 2022.

I have a different opinion to the market on these two teams. While I think the Sharks will be improved and they have a great talent at fullback and at five-eighth, I am still a little unsure how Moylan will go and think Brailey at 9 will be outplayed by the Hodgson / Starling combination.

Although the Raiders had a horrid 2021, a lot of that stemmed from internal issues flared up by the George Williams saga. It feels as if those issues have been resolved and the Raiders have trimmed down their squad to make themselves more adapted to the modern speed of the game.

At home, happy to be on the Raiders here.

Raiders 22
Sharks 16
7 great seasons of profitable NRL Tips and Previews by big Raiders fan Steve Green.
https://www.championbets.com.au/about/steve-green
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders 2022 Previews with Steve Green

Post by Rick »

Good write up. Still bummed we signed Matt Elliot tho….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

:thumbsup Thanks Rick
7 great seasons of profitable NRL Tips and Previews by big Raiders fan Steve Green.
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Canberra Raiders 2022 Previews with Steve Green

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 3: Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Raiders 1.80
Titans 2.05
Raiders -1.5/Titans +1.5

The error riddled Raiders were hopeless against Cowboys, and although I think they can bounce back at home, Ricky Stuart is doing the Raiders no favours with his team selections.

Xavier Savage is an absolute star and he has to be in first grade asap. While Nicoll-Klokstad was a revelation at the back in 2019 and 2020, his 2021 injury seems to have really dented his confidence and his form is poor at the moment.

He has never been a great ball player, and now that he is dropping bombs and not making many running metres, I do think it is time to shift him to centres and give Savage a go at the back.

I also think Sutton needs to be brough back in to the top 17. Although I thought it was a reasonable decision to drop him and give Guler a go off the bench, the young Guler is not producing enough and Sutton will provide more punch. Finally, the decision to name Frawley on the bench is bizarre. I can only presume Stuart is foxing with squad announcement, and I expect some changes to be made in coming days leading up to kick off.

As for their opponents, it is difficult to get a read on them.

I thought the Titans were pretty lucky in their win against Warriors and off the back of some suspect defence, they are not going as well as many people think. I think the form of guys like Jayden Campbell and David Fifita sums up the Titans at the moment. Both guys are great attacking players, but

Raiders at home to bounce back, but not tipping this with much confidence.

Predicted score
Raiders 20
Titans 18
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 4: Manly Sea Eagles V Canberra Raiders

This is another game where the nominal home team is Manly, but I have it as a neutral venue due to the game being relocated to Mudgee.

Last weekend we saw how much a home ground means in the NRL. Manly were able to scrape out an ugly win against a determined Doggies outfit, and with the home ground support and some marginal refereeing decisions going their way, the value of Brooky was clear to see.

For the Raiders, they also got some lucky calls at home and with all the crowd support, they reeled in the Titans despite a 22-0 lead after 35 minutes of the game.

So on a neutral venue, it all comes down to the squad strength and the form of the team, and on the latter I think the Raiders have an edge. Manly have been thumped twice and won by a whisker against the Doggies.

In contrast, the Raiders have beaten the high-flying Sharks, and showed real character to beat the dynamic Titans outfit. Their only loss was on a sweltering night in Townsville, and I think the Cowboys have shown they are no easy beats this year… so I think the Raiders are going better than what the bookies think they are.

As for Manly, so much of their form depends on the success of DCE and Tommy T. Foran has his moments, but outside of these guys, Manly’s attack looks very predictable.

The Manly pack has not been dominant at all, and the form of Saab, Harper and Parker is all down on last year.

In contrast, some of the Raiders young guns (such as Timoko, Valemei, Schneider….) are all getting better every week they play. WIghton is great form, as is Starling at 9. Finally, Tapine and Papalii will fancy their chances of dominating the Manly back, with the rest of the Raiders pack also making a strong contribution.

I am happy with the Raiders start here. They are always a risk away from home, but I think this game will be close and think they may be good enough to just get the win.

Raiders by 1.
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 5: Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

Raiders 4.35
Storm 1.22
Raiders +13.5/Storm -13.5

McDonalds Park, 3.00pm.

Raiders form has been volatile, with gutsy wins against Titans and Sharks, and pitiful losses against Cowboys and Manly. In their four outings this year, they are yet to put forward a really dominant performance, so big ask here to beat a Storm team hitting their straps.

Coach Stuart has named an identical squad to last week, but he is likely to make some late changes, with Sutton surely due to be recalled to the top 17 and Treviliyan likely to be called in to replace Frawley. While these are good changes, it is nowhere near enough. The howls for Savage to be given a go are getting louder and although CNK was decent at the back for the Raiders last week, I still have him ranked as one of the lower end fullbacks in the game right now. He is miles behind the likes of Papenhuyzen, Tedesco, Tommy T, Mitchell, Gutherson, Edwards, Kennedy and Ponga.

To CNK and to be a top notch team in the NRL, your fullback must be one of your top 3 players. Although he is coming back from an injury, he's had enough time now and would surely have been told he needs more quality involvements. With one tackle break for the year and no try assists or line breaks, the Raiders need more from their fullback.

Another big-name player that is not delivering is Elliott Whitehead. The hard-working Englishman is turning 33 this year and he is starting to look a bit too old to do his job. His move to the 13 position has seen him pass far too often and his average running metres of 67 is far too low for someone playing so many minutes. In previous years this could be forgiven because of his defensive work rate, but with 27 tackles per game, he is just not putting up big enough numbers for a player taking up a fair chunk of the Raiders salary cap.

For the Storm, it is their spine that continues to dominant opponents. Grant, Hughes, Munster and Papenhuyzen are the best spine in the game in my view, and the likes of Brandon Smith, Olam and Big Nelson provide them with so many powerful running options.

They have played two soft teams so far this year (in Wests and Bulldogs) and have three out of four games at home, so although the Storm are clearly deserved favourites, I am not willing to take them at such a big line here.

The Raiders have a history of stepping up against the Storm, with their offload game and powerful forwards providing the kind of game plan that can unsettle the Storm (as the Eels showed a fortnight ago).

But with the Raiders still making far too many errors and Coach Stuart sticking with guys not getting the job done, not willing to take Raiders with the line here.

I think market is about right here.

Predicted score
Storm 22
Raiders 12
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

We may get the line here through boring the opposition to death and the fact that after tuesday teams named Bellamy said **** training lets hit the pub.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 6: Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

Raiders 1.50
Cowboys 2.65
Raiders -4.5/Cowboys +4.5

GIO Stadium, 7:50pm Thursday

Raiders have not won a game convincingly all year, with poor ball control a regular issue. Against the Storm, they never really looked in the contest, which was the same thing that happened against the Cowboys and Manly. Their forwards are not performing the way they need to, and without momentum through the middle, their backs are pushing passes and making silly errors.

This can be seen in the fact that the Raiders are running last for metres made and 4th worst for errors. Not a single Raiders player is exceeding expectations for 2022. Wighton has had some blinders, but also played poorly on occasion. While Starling looks great at times, but also lacks the consistency of other top-notch number 9s.

Most of these issues have to be tracked back to Stuart, who continues to leave out players that have the potential to provide the Raiders with much needed spark. Although having Savage at 14 is a good improvement, Stuart has confirmed he will only use Savage if injury requires it….so there is a chance that Stuart leaves Savage on the bench for 80 minutes.

As for the Cowboys, they choked against Warriors, after dominating for opening half. In contrast to the Raiders lack of yardage, the Cowboys are running 4th best for metres made and 6th for tackle breaks. Despite having a forward pack that was much maligned in the pre-season, their forwards are always aggressive and going forward. With the rejuvenated Hess back in the line-up, I think the Cowboys forwards have the edge here.

Cowboys head into this one in better form, but home ground a factor in favour of Raiders.

I cannot pick who will win this one and think that the head start on the Cowboys is decent value.

Predicted score
Raiders 20
Cowboys 20
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 7: Penrith Panthers V Canberra Raiders

Panthers 1.110
Raiders 6.75
Panthers -19.5/Raiders +19.5

Sunday, 4:05pm @ BlueBet Stadium

The Panthers can pile on points with ease and the Raiders are just handing over possession to their opponents, so this has the potential to get ugly. The Panthers have made the most metres in the NRL this season, while the Raiders make the least amount of metres. The main reason the Raiders do not make metres is because they give away too many penalties and drop the ball too often.

If the Raiders could improve their discipline and ball security, then they have the squad to beat any team on their day. But they continue to fail in the absolute basics and I can only presume that their aging stars are struggling to keep up with the speed of the game. Guys like Whitehead were found out in recent weeks and similar to what Coach Stuart has done with Croker and the NSW Cup, I think he may need to make a tough call with Whitehead in coming weeks. But that shows how leaderless the Raiders are at present, with Hodgson, Croker and Whitehead the natural leaders of this club.

While the Raiders also have made some important changes, with Savage starting on wing, Rapana to fullback and Charnze moving to the bench, I am not sure if the Raiders have a clear game plan the way a team like the Panthers do.

I think we will see a reinvigorated Raiders come out firing and make a game of it early but the Panthers should be too strong in the end off the class of Cleary, Edwards and Yeo.

Predicted score
Panthers 28
Raiders 10
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 8: New Zealand Warriors V Canberra Raiders

Warriors 2.05
Raiders 1.77
Warriors +1.5 / Raiders -1.5

Saturday, 3pm @ Moreton Daily Stadium, Brisbane

The Raiders tried to play it tough on the weekend and while it was a slight improvement in terms of defence and ball control, their go forward is pitiful in 2022 and they now rank 16th in that important metric.

What was particularly concerning for the Raiders on the weekend, was their complete unwillingness to use the ball to get out of trouble. With so few passes, the Panthers defence was able to compress and absolutely bask the Raiders offence without worrying about a spread. It looked as if Coach Stuart had taken away the Raiders passing licence and while I understand the need to get back to basics, such a strict following of a simple game plan does not bode well in my view. This Raiders club look out of ideas and with a roster featuring some guys now past their best (Whitehead, Croker, Sam Williams etc…) it is not clear what the plan was for 2022 if this is the kind of footy they are producing in Round 7!

Luckily for the Raiders, the Warriors rank 15th in metres made and after conceding 70 points on the weekend, the Warriors could be vulnerable here. Coach Brown was pretty critical of his team, but has also recognised that these things happen and I think that the Warriors head into this (ironically), with better recent form than the Raiders.

Although the Warriors are a bit shaky out wide, I do like what Walsh brings to the table every week and I think off the back of him and Johnson, this Warriors line up might just have the edge here.

I have no idea who will win this based on their patchy form to date, but I think it could be a scrappy thriller and at home, I think the Warriors offer very slight value with the head start.

Predicted score
Warriors 21
Raiders 20
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Not going too bad this season, Stevo
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 10: Cronulla Sharks V Canberra Raiders

Sharks 1.25
Raiders 4.10
Sharks -11.5 / Raiders +11.5

Suncorp Stadium, Sunday 1.50pm

The Sharks have two big outs here, with Kennedy at 1 and Ramien at 3 both missing for the Sharks. Although they have strong replacements as cover, this gives the Raiders a chance out wide, with both of these guys being two of the Sharks strike weapons in 2022.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, Talakai is still lining up and after a few quiet games, I can see the wrecking ball causing the Raiders plenty of issues out wide. The Sharks still lead the tackle break category and are second in line breaks.

The concern I do have for the Sharks, is just how much energy was sapped with their heroic 12 man win against the Warriors last weekend. When they were down to 11 men, the only way they were able to stay in control was by working extra hard in defence. While it was impressive, it would have taken its toll and there is a chance they are a bit flat here on the road this weekend.

While it was not a pretty win, the Raiders win over the Bulldogs last weekend could be enough to kick start their spluttering season. They did it off the back of strong defence and controlled footy, with Frawley showing his worth to the club.

More importantly, it was the Raiders go-forward that really stood out to me. Heading into Round 9, the Raiders hade made the least amount of metres in the NRL (averaging about 1350 a game). But in their Round 9 win over the Bulldogs, they made over 2000 metres.

Guys like Elliott Whitehead, Nick Cotric and Timoko played their best games of the season, while guys like Tapine and Papalii were immense!

However, the continued absence of Wighton at 6 will be tough to overcome and I think the Sharks will grind out a win in a game that is relatively close.

I am tempted to take the Raiders at the plus, but I am conscious of the step up in class here and worried that the Doggies made the Raiders look better than they really are.

Predicted score
Sharks 24
Raiders 16
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 11: South Sydney Rabbitohs V Canberra Raiders

Rabbitohs 1.57
Raiders 2.45
Rabbitohs -4.5 / Raiders +4.5

Sunday 2pm @ Apex Oval, Dubbo

If the Warriors had of been a little less hopeless in the first half, then they probably come back and beat Souths last weekend. Although Cody Walker was back creating tries all over the place, Souths will likely face some stiffer competition this weekend against a resurgent Raiders.

While Souths did well with an attack spearheaded by Cook at 9, the Raiders defence over the past fortnight has been impressive, conceding three tries in the past 160 minutes of footy. In contrast, Souths have conceded over 30 points in both of their last two matches, and have not kept a team to under 20 points for over a month….when they beat the Bulldogs.

Raiders trounced high flying Sharks and are now going for three in a row, at a country stadium (neutral venue). They welcome back their best player in Jack Wighton and have made a very savvy signing in the form of Zac Woolford, who was languishing on the bench for Newtown only a couple of weeks earlier. I did not expect to see him have such a quality game. While the try he set up made the highlight reels, it was service from dummy half and defensive resolve in the first half that helped lay the platform for the Raiders surprising win.

By not making errors, the Raiders have been able to give their attack a chance. They are making plenty of metres and I think Raiders have turned a corner in 2022 and could back up with another strong performance.

With Souths still missing two of their best players in Latrell and Cam Murray, I think the Raiders are a great chance of pulling off another upset here.

Predicted score
Raiders 20
Souths 20
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

Raiders 2.50
Eels 1.54
Raiders +4.5/Eels -4.5

Sunday 4.05pm @ GIO Stadium

While the loss of Nicoll-Klokstad is not great, it is not as big of a loss as it once was. Savage showed what an excitement machine he can be and just needs time to find his feet at 1. With news that CNK will be out for up to 6 weeks, Savage has a bit of time to make the position his own and I think that will really help with the attitude he takes into this game. He does not need to do anything special, Coach Stuart will be after a solid defensive effort and a safe pair of hands. In time, his speed will open up opportunities and we will see what this superstar has to offer.

With news filtering through that J Croker is out, after just returning from injury, Seb Kris will slot in nicely and should have been there anyway, so no big loss in my view.

But the really big news is the return of Fogarty at 7. Not sure why Coach Stuart is rushing him back into starting team after not playing for so long….I would have eased him off the bench and with Croker now out, there is a chance that Stuart does last minute shifting of the team.

The Eels look strong heading into this one, but were lucky to get away with win against Manly and were beaten wear earlier by Roosters, so form a little dicey.

While the return of guys like Waqa Blake and Niukore are big inclusions, I do think the Raiders will push the Eels here and would not be surprised to see the Raiders pull off another upset.

Raiders going for 4 in a row and at home for a day game, this game should be a thriller.

Predicted score
Eels 22
Raiders 18
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Raiders 2.45
Roosters 1.57
Raiders +5.5/Roosters -5.5
(Prices from Topsport.com.au)

Sunday 4.05pm at GIO Stadium

Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii (Maroons) are big outs. While Frawley at 6 and Horburgh are decent replacements, these two have been the cornerstone of the Raiders for a long time and I worry that without guys like Croker and Hodgson, they could be lacking some leadership in this one.

Roosters also look strong, but Tedesco has been their shining light and leader this year, so could struggle without their best player. Manu is no slouch at 1 and the increased involvement that this forces upon him will be a positive for the Roosters.

However, positional play as a fullback is not something you pick up overnight and with Frawley and Fogarty having clever kicking games, I think we may find the Raiders testing the match awareness of the stand in fullback.

The Raiders are set to debut Trey Mooney this weekend, with the big mobile young forward a rising star in our game. He has played great in NSW Cup this year and his debut, and a home ground advantage, will ensure the Raiders come out firing in this one.

Both teams have shown some impressive recent form, but it is the Roosters who have an attack that is really firing and should be just good enough for the win. Their halves pairing of Walker and Keary should be a little too good in this one and I think the market is about right.

Predicted score
Roosters 22
Raiders 20
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 14 Brisbane Broncos V Canberra Raiders

Broncos 1.56
Raiders 2.50
Broncos -4/Raiders +4

Saturday 7.35pm at Suncorp Stadium

Broncos in terrific form and with Reynolds returning from a short lay off and this game in Brisbane, the Broncos will once again prove to be very hard to beat.

Coach Walters did not even name Capewell to line up, and with Staggs not able to play on due to a severe cork, he is close to zero chance of playing too. With Reynolds coming back from a few injuries, there is still a chance he is a late withdrawal.

When you throw in how many minutes Carrigan played in the middle of his first Origin, the fact Cobbo is young and backing up from his first Origin and with Haas’ contract controversy and his frosty reception lingering, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Broncos here. Chatter is that Haas is OUT for this one due to shoulder injury flaring up, so that is obviously huge development. The Raider’s strength is their front row, so if the Broncos are without Haas, then they now have a distinct edge in the middle.

As for the Raiders, they are now playing tough footy that is centred on desperate goal line defence. Nearly every one of their players has improved dramatically over the past month, with Tapine, Papalli, Young and Horsburgh all playing brilliantly, while the young guys like Timoko and Savage getting better every week.

Although the Broncos will be hard to beat here, I think the Raiders are right in this and so I am having a small bet on them at the line and a small bet on half time draw, as both teams have excellent goal line defence at present.

Predicted score
Broncos 18
Raiders 18
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Raiders 1.27
Knights 3.80
Raiders -10.5/Knights +10.5

Sunday 2:00pm at GIO Stadium

The Raiders really blew it against the Broncos, with their stuttering second half attack again being their weakness. Fogarty and Wighton failed to control the game and they wasted so many chances.

Although he is electric, Savage still has a few errors in him and while Whitehead has been a great servant for the Raiders, he is looking old and tired. He is not the leader the Raiders need right now.

However talking of leaders, Tapine’s form is as good as I have seen from a prop. He is now an elite player in the NRL and with other forwards like Adam Elliott and Corey Horsburgh finding great form, this Raiders pack is looking pretty impressive.

On a cold Sunday and playing at home, desperate to stay in touch with the top 8, the Knights have a tough ask ahead.

The Knights are dreadful at the moment and their brains trust is now under mounting pressure. Coach O’Brien continues to come up with excuses, but the truth is the Knights are also suffering from a lack of on-field leadership. Ponga is too hot and cold to inspire the team, and with no D Saifiti, Bradman Best and J Brailey, the Knights are missing too much quality here.

I have the Raiders about 16 point favourites here.

Predicted score
Raiders 30
Knights 12
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 16 St George Illawarra Dragons V Canberra Raiders

Dragons 2.15
Raiders 1.70
Dragons -2/Raiders +2

Sunday 4:05pm at WIN Stadium

This is shaping up to be a great game to finish off Round 16. Both of these teams are likely to be battling for 7th or 8th spot this year and while the finals are still a while away, the winner of this game will be capable of launching a late season push for the finals.

Both Hunt and Papalii have been named to back up for their respective clubs, with Hunt the one most in doubt due to a leg injury sustained late in the match. He is a tough player and I would be surprised to see him not back up here, considering it is a full 7 days after Origin II was played. Papalii did not get many minutes again this game and it is clear something is not 100% with the big fella.

But in good news for the Raiders, CNK is back after a period where Savage took control of the 1 jersey. Although Savage has his knockers, I am a huge fan of what he has brought to the team and I am happy to see if he has been given first shot at 1 and CNK given a bench spot.

The Dragons are also running pretty well on the injury front and have named the same team that demolished Souths in the first half a fortnight ago.

While that was a very impressive 40 minutes, it is worth noting that as soon as Souths settled down a bit, they were able to come back and win the second half. So I think most of that performance was Souths just not turning up with the right attitude and so I am not getting too carried away with the Dragons just yet.

I think this game will be a cracker and I think the market is about right. No bet.

Predicted score
Raiders 19
Dragons 18
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 18 Melbourne Storm V Canberra Raiders

Melbourne Storm 1.23
Canberra Raiders 4.30
Storm -11.5 (1.85) / Raiders +11.5 (1.96)
(Prices from ReadyBet.com.au)

Sunday 4:05pm at AAMI Park

The Raiders have a good record against the Storm in Melbourne, but they head into this one with their backs against the wall. The Storm are hurting off one of their worst stretches of form under Coach Bellamy in recent memory.

Making matters worse for the Raiders, the Storm will have Munster fresh after missing Origin due to Covid, while Kaufusi has also been named to play, after missing Origin due to personal reasons.

As a positive for the Raiders, Brandon Smith’s suspension, coupled with the fact that Harry Grant played a lot of minutes in Origin 3, means the Storm could be a little underdone around the ruck. With some of their aging forwards struggling for form, this could give the Raiders an edge in the middle of the park.

With Wighton not playing in Game 3 and Papallii so far used very sparingly in this Origin series, the Raiders are coming into this match relatively unaffected by Origin.

On my ratings, the Storm deserve to be favourites here, but both teams have been very patchy in 2022 and so it is really hard to know how this one will pan out.

I am going to stay out of this one and see if the Storm can arrest their form slump or see if the Raiders can kick start their charge to the finals.

Predicted score
Storm 24
Raiders 14
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

Canberra Raiders 1.28
NZ Warriors 3.70
Raiders -10.5 (1.85) / Warriors +10.5 (1.96)

Saturday 3pm at GIO Stadium

Raiders have rediscovered their goal line defence and there are shades of 2019 creeping back into this side. While Savage has already made so many great attacking plays in his short career, the tackle he did last Sunday on J Hughes that dislodged the ball over the line, was his best play since joining first grade. It was the kind of tackle he was not willing to make 10 weeks ago and shows the change in attitude that has occurred over the past couple of months.

Fogarty had his best game for the club against the Storm, while guys like Schiller, Kris, Timoko and Woolford are all starting to look very settled in first grade.

The Warriors have dropped Walsh from 1 and promoted Asi in an attempt to spark something. But it is mainly about looking forward to 2023 and planning for a life without Reece Walsh. While this makes sense from a long-term strategic point of view, it does mean they will be a little weaker and a lot more disjointed heading into this game.

In Canberra, the Raiders should be too strong and get the win, but the Raiders have a knack of losing these ones!

Predicted score
Raiders 24
Warriors 16
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 20 Gold Coast Titans V Canberra Raiders

Gold Coast Titans 3.00
Canberra Raiders 1.40
Titans +7.5 / Raiders -7.5

Saturday 3pm at Cbus Super Stadium.

Titans’ latest incident with Proctor sacked for vaping could be a blessing in disguise, as he was nowhere near their best 17 and probably a disruptive force in squad. Getting him off the books and out of the clubhouse might actually allow Coach Hollbrook some clean air to set the standards for the club. However it is hard to know what this means for team morale internally, with issues like this sometimes pulling the playing group apart.

I think the Titans have named a strong squad and expect Campbell to start at 1 and Brimson to 6. Clark stays at 13 and Boyd shifts to 14 on the bench. With Sami back in centres and guys like Isaako nowhere near the top squad, the Titans will at least not give up so many easy tries with poor winger reads in defence.

Raiders came home strong against Warriors, but still look patchy and could be ripe for an ambush here up in the Gold Coast. While Tapine continues to lead from the front, Elliott Whitehead is looking far past his best for the Raiders and has been caught out in defence on multiple occasions.

With Starling still being underutilised and the Raiders bench rotation always a bit off, the Titans with the head start offers decent value.

Predicted score
Raiders 24
Titans 22
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Canberra Raiders 2.28
Penrith Panthers 1.63
Raiders +3.5 / Panthers -3.5 /

Saturday, 5:30pm at GIO Stadium.

The Raiders have won a few in a row, but neither of the past two performances has really convinced me. The Warriors had a strong lead early and the Titans still managed to score 24. The Raiders have some absolute gun players and on their day the Raiders can trouble anyone, but they have a few issues that means they are not genuine contenders in 2022 in my view.

The form of guys like Elliott Whitehead has fallen off the cliff. Coach Stuart should drop him, but he won’t because he likes the guy too much.

Starling and Woolford hooker rotation is not working out. Neither guy is making their mark and both are not running the ball well.

So, although the Panthers are without their halves, I am concerned that the Raiders form has been exaggerated by weak opposition in recent weeks. Even the Storm win was tainted by the fact that they lost Papenhuyzen mid-way through the first half.

It is hard to know just how the Panthers will go without Cleary and Luai, but I think they are still strong enough to get the win here and cover the line. With Crichton back out wide, and the Panthers still featuring a team choc-full of rep players, I think the Panthers are slight value in this one.

Predicted score
Panthers 22
Raiders 16
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

**** **** Steve
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons

Canberra Raiders 1.48
St George Illawarra Dragons 2.70
Raiders -5.5 / Dragons +5.5

Sunday, 2pm at GIO Stadium.

The Raiders lose not only Tapine and Cotric, but also for the first time in history, an NRL coach. Ricky Start has been suspended and is to miss the game. Although coaches have missed plenty of games this year due to Covid, the ban on Stuart is pretty harsh in that he is allowed no contact whatsoever with the team.

This means his two assistants will be totally running the show and so it is hard to know how they will use the bench and if there will be any differences to the way Stuart has controlled things. McFadden has coached at NRL level before and White is an experienced campaigner that is well respected by the playing group, so I am not factoring his development in as a negative.

They do welcome back Savage and Horsburgh and are at home, so like the Raiders chances to cover here. Against the Panthers they started strong, but after suffering a few injuries and dud calls, their halves failed to control the game and they missed some basic tackles. With their season on the line, I think Wighton, Papalii and Rapana will come out and lead this team to victory.

Although the Dragons put in a tough performance, they lack the class and Coach Griffin continues to change the line up with weird selections. The presence of Hunt means the Dragons are always a chance, but I think they have too many weaknesses across the park and the Raiders will win well.

Predicted score
Raiders 25
Dragons 12
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 23 Newcastle Knights V Canberra Raiders

Newcastle Knights 3.45
Canberra Raiders 1.31
Knights +9.5 (2.03) / Raiders -9.5 (1.80)

Sunday, 4:05pm at McDonald Jones Stadium.

The Knights horror season continues to get worse, with Ponga and Mann being caught in a cubicle and Tuala and Best dropped for being late for the bus.

When you throw in Klemmer being dropped last week and guys like Milford, Lee, and Hoy all bailing on the club next year, you have to ask how the coach still has his job.

Their ratings are still higher than the clubs near them on the ladder and at home I would usually consider the Knights a decent bet at the plus, but the culture and morale of this club is broken and who knows what they will dish up on the weekend.

The Raiders nearly choked again last week and their halves continue to make poor decisions, but overall they are a far better footy team and should be far too good.

They welcome back Tapine and Cotric, who were both in great form and will add plenty of power to the Raiders running game.

Predicted score
Raiders 24
Knights 12
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 24 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Canberra Raiders 1.23
Manly Sea Eagles 4.30
Raiders -13.5 / Se Eagles +13.5

Saturday, 3:00pm at GIO Stadium.

Manly are another team that is imploding and if they were unable to lift last weekend to send off Foran at home, it is hard to see them finding the energy this weekend.

The form drop off has been remarkable, with everyone playing poorer over the past month. DCE’s Australian halfback jersey has to be in doubt based on poor form, while guys like Tom T, Jake T, Reuben Garrick are all now proven to be the heart and soul of this team.

Taupau looks old and tired, while Sipley is not fit enough for first grade. Their forward pack, which was a strength earlier in the year, has been out muscled in every game of the past month.

Although the Raiders form has been patchy, they continue to build as the end of season approaches and simply must keep winning. Although Tapine and Papalii get all of the media’s attention, Guler and Horsburgh are tough middles that are doing great things off the bench.

Although the Raiders halves and hookers continue to look clunky, they have now had enough games together to strike some form and I think they will use this final home game as a chance to get things to click.

Because points are at a premium, I like the chances of the Raiders putting Manly to the sword and putting in a full 80 here.

Predicted score
Raiders 32
Manly 12
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Round 25 Wests Tigers V Canberra Raiders

Wests Tigers 3.80
Canberra Raiders 1.27
Wests +12.5 (1.85) / Raiders -12.5 (1.96)

Sunday, 4:05pm at Leichhardt Oval.

This is a game where the final line up will be determined by the outcome of matches earlier in the round.

If Broncos win, then I expect Canberra to come out all guns blazing and blow Wests off the park.

But, if the Broncos lose, the Raiders will try to wrap their stars in cotton wool and Wests would be in with a shot of pulling off a huge upset.

So, too much uncertainty at this stage to back any team with confidence.

Predicted score
Raiders 28
Wests 12
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Finals Week 1 Melbourne Storm V Canberra Raiders

Melbourne Storm 1.38
Canberra Raiders 3.10
Storm -8.5 (1.96) / Raiders +8.5 (1.85)

Saturday, 5.40pm at AAMI Park.

The Storm struggled last week but this week they welcome back Hughes, who is a huge inclusion in the scheme of things as it allows Munster to not be sole focus of Raiders’ defence. However, I do have some concerns about just how fit he is. Last week’s game was vital for Storm and for him not to play, suggests his calf is not 100% and those injuries do not settle quickly.

I also have some doubts over Meaney, who seemed to have picked up an arm injury late in the match against the Eels and K Bromwich, who was concussed in a heavy shot by Moses.

Although Grant, Munster and Hughes will always be hard to contain, the Storm pack is struggling due to the poor form of an aging J Bromwich and a bench featuring guys like Lewis, Loiero is a long way from the bench the Storm had in 2020 when they won the competition (B Smith, Nicho Hynes, Big Tino and Dale Finucane).

In contrast, the Raiders are getting some real strike off their bench, with Horsburgh and Guler maintain the rage when the come on to replace Tapine and Papalii.

The Raiders are playing full of confidence and off the back of an in-form Fogarty at 7, are peaking at just the right time of the year. Fogarty was absent for most of this year and it was a factor overlooked by many when writing off Canberra’s chances. No other team in the top 7 lost their first pick half back for such an extended period, so that is one reason why the Raiders late season surge in form should not be ignored.

The key for the Raiders is how Starling and Woolford play. Woolford starred last week against Wests, but Starling is the man with the running game that could worry this big Storm pack. If they can play well, the Raiders are right in this.

Predicted score
Storm 20
Raiders 18
ChampionBets
Ken Nagas

Post by ChampionBets »

2022 Finals Week 2 Parramatta Eels v Canberra Raiders

Parramatta Eels 1.51
Canberra Raiders 2.60
Eels -6.5 (1.96) / Raiders +6.5 (1.85)

Friday, 7:50pm at CommBank Stadium, Sydney

Despite going down heavily to the Panthers last weekend, there was still a lot to like about the Eels' performance. For the entire first half they matched the Panthers in every facet of the game. However, as the Panthers have done so often, their defensive line speed and pinpoint kicking game eventually took its toll and forced the Eels into errors.

Waqa Blake was cleverly targeted and his multiple errors were the difference. If he catches all the bombs that came his way, then the Eels very well could have gone on and won that game. But by turning the ball over and inviting the Panthers into their half, the Eels let the game slip away and a masterclass by Cleary was the difference.

Another factor that should not be overlooked was the loss of Moses. Up until that point, the Eels were still highly competitive, and the game was there to be won. But as soon as Moses came on, it was clear the Eels were done for and although I think Arthur will turn into a quality NRL player as he matures, he is not yet close to quality of Moses.

Heading into this match, I have little doubt Moses plays. The Eels therefore head into this game at full strength and playing at their beloved home ground, in front of a crowd that will be about 90% blue and yellow.

Although Coach Arthur has his critics due to his poor finals record, they are still very well placed to win this one and advance to a preliminary final in Townsville.

As for their opponents, they are on a real roll, and out of all the teams remaining, they are the team that has timed their run the best. Fogarty and Wighton have always been the key to the Raiders and their inability to play games together earlier in the season has been revealed to be the source of the Raiders early season woes. No other team remaining in the competition had to deal with losing their first pick 9 and 7 so early in the season and this is one of the reasons I think the Raiders remain such a dangerous dark horse.

However, it is also where I think the Raiders are weakest – at 9. Although Woolford has a crisp passing game and Starling a great running game, both of them have flaws and neither of them are capable of playing high, quality minutes. Coach Stuart has gotten around this by playing a heavy 9 rotation, but their combined numbers are still not good enough compared to what is needed from your 9 to win the competition

In his opening 50 minute stint last weekend, Woolford made 1 run for 4 metres. In his 30 minute stint, Startling made 3 runs for 19 metres. Now a hooker doesn’t have to make a ton of running metres to play well, but it does help. In contrast, Reed Mahoney played 80 minutes for the Eels last weekend and made 46 metres in 6 runs, as well as setting up the Eels only try with some sleek work close to the Panthers line.

The number 9 position is therefore one area where I think the Raiders will need to lift to win this one.

I am also concerned about the loss of Elliott, who has succumbed to a pelvic injury that had been affecting his form of late. Although the likely return of Sutton somewhat overcomes this, the Raiders middles defence will have to be at their best to stop the Eels power game and offloading abilities.

Savage and Cotric will also be heavily targeted by Moses kicking game and so although all eyes are on how Waqa handles the high ball, the Raiders back three also have their moments.

All in all, this will be a great game, but I do think the home team have a slight edge and should do enough to win.

Despite the number of points scored in recent weeks, I think this will be a low scorer and I do like the odds of a half time draw and draw at 80 minutes for a small bet.

Predicted score
Eels 22
Raiders 18