All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Ryan Sutton signs three year deal with Bulldogs from 2023

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: March 9, 2022, 3:51 pm
bonehead wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:22 pm at least she nailed it, shouldn't do it but nailed it nonetheless. He's leagues ahead of Elliott and he's been a fantastic representative of our club.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I don't agree with this at all. You can compare them all you want but one is a bloke who can play NRL level at second row and lock and at a pinch could possibly cover centre in a crisis. The other is a prop only. A prop who doesn't make many metres.

This 17, with Sutton in for Elliott, would be way, way worse and tbf; stupid.
Basically yes. We need another lock who can pass a bit to spell Whitehead for tactical reasons- no ball player at lock means we can'tsame game plan all 80.

I railed all 2021 about Sutton playing at lock when he is clearly a pure prop with no other skills. And not even the full deck of prop skills- not much offload, limited go forward, makes his tackles though and is a decent enough NRL lower wage prop.

No idea if Elliot is quick enough for centre (CHN would be my bet there) but he is a serviceable utility and picked as the utility.

Sutton V Guler is th more apt comparison, with not a whole lot between them in attack (but if you're curious Guler gets smashed and stopped in his tracks a lot less and offloads twice as often) but Guler comes up slightly better in defence too- way less try and linebreak causes, similar efficiency, misses less tackles. And he's got more future... SOrry Mrs Sutton.

Hors- well I think Hors is a rare bloke who is almost completely unable to regulate his focus and thinking/emotions during a game to play FG but I hope he finally learns.
Last edited by BadnMean on March 9, 2022, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: March 9, 2022, 4:13 pm
julian87 wrote:
bonehead wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:22 pm at least she nailed it, shouldn't do it but nailed it nonetheless. He's leagues ahead of Elliott and he's been a fantastic representative of our club.

I don't agree with this at all. You can compare them all you want but one is a bloke who can play NRL level at second row and lock and at a pinch could possibly cover centre in a crisis. The other is a prop only. A prop who doesn't make many metres.

This 17, with Sutton in for Elliott, would be way, way worse and tbf; stupid.
you're entitled to your opinion which I'm more than happy to disagree wholeheartedly with.
Adam Elliott is an nrl level quality edge and middle since when? and can cover centres how? he's flat out dreadful

Badnmean summed it up imo.

'Middle since when' - he had a period 2 seasons ago where he played very very well at lock for Canterbury.

Elliott probably couldn't play centre real well, I agree with BNM that it would be CHN. But he's there to cover the backrow. Sutton can not cover the backrow.

Elliott could play centre better than Sutton.

And I disagree he's dreadful. If he was coming from Melbourne or Easts everyone would think he's the best thing since sliced bread imo.

He has shown more in first grade than Sutton imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

These continued outbursts from the players wives could be the exact reason Ricky signed Elliott?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

kiwi raider wrote:

These continued outbursts from the players wives could be the exact reason Ricky signed Elliott?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘It’s embarrassing’: Instagram sledge triggers apology to Ricky Stuart: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8bca004551

Paul Kent really didn’t need to put that in those terms. He acts poorly himself, often. Much worse in fact.

However, I am puzzled by the idea that players and partners seem to think it’s OK to criticise their employer and the people in charge of the club in public.

Social media policies is all sorts of organisations constrain this sort of thing. As we saw last year, it’s certainly not good for the organisation.

Yet today we had a report today quoting Joe Tapine to the effect that there was nothing astray with last year’s incident:

Tapine said his partner is entitled to her opinion any time she likes, but admitted the experience was a learning curve.

“She can jump back on (social media) this season. I don’t know why people think her opinion is not as much as anyone else’s,” Tapine said. “She can do what she wants, I support her, every word she said, and I pretty much said that to her. I’ve had a chat with Stick and her and it’s nothing I’d change. Media say worse things about me.”

The 27-year-old emphasised the incident was “100 per cent” water on the bridge.

“We learn from it and we go from there,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bd34a4d430

I can’t imagine it happening in any other business.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: March 9, 2022, 7:29 pm

hahah holy ****.
Well played Kiwi.

Finals series form
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

kiwi raider wrote:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:‘It’s embarrassing’: Instagram sledge triggers apology to Ricky Stuart: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8bca004551

Paul Kent really didn’t need to put that in those terms. He acts poorly himself, often. Much worse in fact.

However, I am puzzled by the idea that players and partners seem to think it’s OK to criticise their employer and the people in charge of the club in public.

Social media policies is all sorts of organisations constrain this sort of thing. As we saw last year, it’s certainly not good for the organisation.

Yet today we had a report today quoting Joe Tapine to the effect that there was nothing astray with last year’s incident:

Tapine said his partner is entitled to her opinion any time she likes, but admitted the experience was a learning curve.

“She can jump back on (social media) this season. I don’t know why people think her opinion is not as much as anyone else’s,” Tapine said. “She can do what she wants, I support her, every word she said, and I pretty much said that to her. I’ve had a chat with Stick and her and it’s nothing I’d change. Media say worse things about me.”

The 27-year-old emphasised the incident was “100 per cent” water on the bridge.

“We learn from it and we go from there,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bd34a4d430

I can’t imagine it happening in any other business.
Is that 'water on the bridge' a direct quote? If so, there certainly is some things we can learn from it.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: March 9, 2022, 7:29 pm

Are you suggesting these things are better kept in the water closet?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The mind boggles. I've been unhappy at work various times over the years in different careers under different bosses. I'll have a whinge to the missus in private (or to the boss himself), leave it at that. I would never have to worry that the missus would then go and rant about it on social media. Why would she? Why would anyone else care about my work circumstances? The fact is, they wouldn't, because I'm not famous.

So the question is then raised, are they only posting it to social media to get a reaction because their other half is famous? I don't mind if Sutto is annoyed about not making the 17, I don't mind if his missus is annoyed about him not making the 17. But why post about it on social media if not to get a reaction in the media and cause trouble?

This isn't her having a whinge over coffee with some friends and them leaking to the media, it's her directly putting it out there to get a reaction from who knows who.

Either way, it's hardly going to help him get selected in firsts for Canberra now. WAGS - keep your mouths shut, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Have we ever known a time where the partners seem to have soooo much control/ say in the players careers?

In the past you have heard how the wives/partners sacrifice for their man's career . Now it seems the women spend the money and pull the strings

George wanted out because his girlfriend wanted a beach,

Tapine's wife seems to have elevated her profile through joe and used it to improve her career opportunities

Sutton's girlfriend just raised her profile AND is making Ryan move to Sydney for her career.

And where is the respect for the club looking after your man, paying your bills?
I'm sure Sutton's girlfriend would not appreciate Ricky publicly commenting negatively about her fashion skills. And nor would he because he is a football expert not a fashion expert.
And Tapine, yes your wife can have an opinion but NO she can't post about it.
Can you imagine if the PM'S wife posted her thoughts on Labor leaders? Her thoughts on Boris Johnson!
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Finchy wrote: March 9, 2022, 9:38 pm The mind boggles. I've been unhappy at work various times over the years in different careers under different bosses. I'll have a whinge to the missus in private (or to the boss himself), leave it at that. I would never have to worry that the missus would then go and rant about it on social media. Why would she? Why would anyone else care about my work circumstances? The fact is, they wouldn't, because I'm not famous.

So the question is then raised, are they only posting it to social media to get a reaction because their other half is famous? I don't mind if Sutto is annoyed about not making the 17, I don't mind if his missus is annoyed about him not making the 17. But why post about it on social media if not to get a reaction in the media and cause trouble?

This isn't her having a whinge over coffee with some friends and them leaking to the media, it's her directly putting it out there to get a reaction from who knows who.

Either way, it's hardly going to help him get selected in firsts for Canberra now. WAGS - keep your mouths shut, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Dont these girls realise it could seriously bite their own careers in the butt!

Based on kate ford's behaviour critical of ricky would you want her working for you?

They do know mafs and desperate housewives is a comedy , its not how most people really live!
Vaccinated
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Cat and Finchy have summarised it well above. I don't want anything to derail our season and I'm already annoyed with the off field stuff.

Already before the first game, Ricky has had a big whinge and exploded, a player's wife has used social media to criticise team selections, two FGer in Fogarty and HSS are out long term, two of our best players are still undecided in getting vaccinated, and Ricky has baffled with team selections (Semi) and non selections (Savage). Just need Adam Elliott to pash someone's wife for the full house. I really hope it's not 2021 again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Ryan Sutton season ending injury

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Ryan Sutton's time in capital ended by injury

It's a cruel end to another Englishman's time in Canberra, with Raiders prop Ryan Sutton needing season-ending surgery to a finger tendon. Sutton is heading to the Bulldogs in 2023.

"It's disappointing for Sutto, probably playing his last game for the club, but he's a very valued member of the team still - he leaves on the note he's playing some of his best football," Ricky Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart announces Ryan Sutton is to have an operation on a his hand which will end his season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/08 ... -round-23/

Botman
Mal Meninga

Ryan Sutton season ending injury

Post by Botman »

That’s a shame
He’s been a good solid player for us. It’s a shame for it to end this way but I thank him for his time and efforts at the club, and wish him all the best
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Reminded me a bit of Scott Logan. Happy to do the tough stuff with a no nonsense selfless attitude.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Lots of exits…
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He's been a good servant. I hope he goes well in the future. No nonsense and always put in. Not irreplaceable but his attitude and durability will be missed.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

Scored a crucial individual try in his final match for us.

Assuming the finger heals quickly enough, I hope he's selected for England and has a strong World Cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Daniel wrote: August 19, 2022, 2:03 pm Scored a crucial individual try in his final match for us.

Assuming the finger heals quickly enough, I hope he's selected for England and has a strong World Cup.
I wonder if that charge down was the thing that did the damage. Sad if so, sad in any case of course.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Suttgod will never be forgotten..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: August 19, 2022, 1:41 pm Reminded me a bit of Scott Logan. Happy to do the tough stuff with a no nonsense selfless attitude.

Similar no frills style. Tough dudes.

Sutton improved every single year and I respect that in anyone. He's probably just what the Dogs need.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He's a good player. I'll miss him
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

We will miss him 100% Absolute solid player who’s full contribution most likely won’t be noticed until he is no longer here.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: August 19, 2022, 9:00 pm We will miss him 100% Absolute solid player who’s full contribution most likely won’t be noticed until he is no longer here.
I think if this posts proves to be true, it will be because the guys like Hors, Mooney, Ata, Guler, Hola etc all fail to step up to fill the void.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Looking forward to Mariota stepping up.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sutton always took the tough carries. I liked his 'dam the defenders, full steam ahead' attitude. Straight and hard runner which every side needs. Unusual for an English forward in Australia that he didn't have a lot in the way of ball skills or offloading. I liked his no nonsense approach to the game and hope he goes well with the Dogs. Thanks for your time in Green, Ryan.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I wonder why Sutton signing with the Bulldogs still hasn’t been officially announced yet? They’re singing from the tree tops about signing Kikau and Mahoney. It’s like they’re embarrassed about Sutton because he’s not a superstar or something. Why the secrecy?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Finchy wrote: August 20, 2022, 8:49 am I wonder why Sutton signing with the Bulldogs still hasn’t been officially announced yet? They’re singing from the tree tops about signing Kikau and Mahoney. It’s like they’re embarrassed about Sutton because he’s not a superstar or something. Why the secrecy?
Probably waiting until the cap is finalised so they can officially register the contract.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

gergreg wrote: August 19, 2022, 1:41 pm Reminded me a bit of Scott Logan. Happy to do the tough stuff with a no nonsense selfless attitude.

Yes.
And his consistency through his tenure is similar to Scott Logans.
No doubt he was a valued and respected member of the team also.