2022 Rd 1 V Sharks: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Friday 11 March, 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 4:30 pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Mostly sunny. The chance of early morning fog. Light winds. Chance of rain: 0 per cent. Min 8 Max 23 Game time temperature forecast to be 21C at kickoff, falling to 17C by the end of the match.

The Canberra Raiders open their 2022 season at home - a clash with a bit of a bogey team, the Cronulla Sharks.

Preseason trials: The Canberra Raiders won both of their trial matches - defeating the Roosters (32-18) and Sea Eagles (18-16). The match against the Sea Eagles was the more serious of the two, with the teams running their first grade line ups for the first 60 minutes. The Raiders were relatively poor in the first half, with Jack Wighton gifting two tries to the speedy, Manly right edge. The Sea Eagles took a deserved 16-0 lead after 35 minutes. But the Raiders then launched a good comeback. Wighton certainly made up for his earlier errors, scoring a try just before the break, and setting up another for Nick Cotric early in the second half.

Team news: In the lead up to the game, the Raiders were rocked by the news that new halfback recruit, Jamal Fogarty, would be on the sidelines for around four months, after suffering meniscus damage in his knee. Brad Schneider, 21, will take over the No. 7 jersey in only his second NRL match.

The Raiders are without winger Jordan Rapana, after he was suspended for a shoulder charge in the preseason All Stars match. Harley Smith-Shields - who was shaping as a certain selection for the backline - is out for the season after suffering an ACL injury in training. Co-captain Jarrod Croker will start the year in NSW Cup, with James Schiller to make his NRL debut in Croker's left centre position. Matt Timoko will be his centre partner. In a shock selection, Xavier Savage has not been brought into the top 17 to replace Rapana. Semi Valemei, who had some unhappy trial games at centre, will start in the No. 5 jersey. As Stuart foreshadowed, Charnze Nicoll-Kloksad has been preferred at fullback. Savage will play in that position in NSW Cup.

The Raiders forward pack will line up as expected, but in a surprise, prop Ryan Sutton has not been named on the bench. He will play NSW Cup on Saturday. Emre Guler and Corey Horsburgh won the battle for the bench prop positions. New forward recruit Adam Elliott will also make his debut in green off the bench.

The Sharks are missing Braydon Trindall and Franklin Pele due to suspension, while new recruit Cameron McInnes is out with a knee injury. Matt Moylan will partner Nicho Hynes in the halves, given Trindall's suspension. Wade Graham is out until Round 6 due to an ankle problem. He's replaced by Tieg Wilton. New recruit Dale Finucane will captain the side at lock.

Late changes: The Raiders cut Ryan Sutton, Trey Mooney, Harry Rushton, Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams from their squad on Thursday evening, leaving Matt Frawley and Xavier Savage on the reserves list. The Sharks cut Lachlan Miller, Jenson Taumoepeau and Jayden Berrell.

Milestones: This will be Jack Wighton's 200th match. He will be the 13th Raider to hit the 200 mark. Hudson Young clocks up his 50th.

History: The Raiders have won 39 of 80 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 49 per cent win rate. Canberra has won seven of the past 10 clashes between the clubs - and the past six straight. Last year, the Raiders won a close encounter in the wet, 12-10, in unconvincing fashion at Kogarah. The Raiders posted a more decisive, 34-18, victory on the Gold Coast - a match remembered for the eye catching performance of Xavier Savage at fullback. The Sharks have a good record at Canberra Stadium. They've won 14 of the 30 games played at the venue, as well as 12 of the 17 matches played in Canberra since 2005. However, Cronulla has lost the past two games played in the national capital.

2021 Rd 18 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2021 Rd 2 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2020 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2020 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: Raiders: WLLWL
Sharks: LLWWL

The Sharks were soundly beaten, 34-6, by the Panthers in their first trial match - one which featured largely second string outfits. In a full strength trial against the Bulldogs in week two, the Sharks came up trumps, winning 30-6 at Shark Park.

Betting: The Raiders started as slight favourites, but that has now switched. The Sharks are paying $1.85, the Raiders $1.95. The Raiders now have 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Key match-ups:

Josh Hodgson and Blayke Brailey: Veteran hooker Josh Hodgson is in his last season with the Green Machine. He wasn't offered a deal beyond the end of 2022 by the Raiders, and he's heading to the Parramatta Eels next year. Tom Starling is the long term No. 9 in the nation's capital, but it looks like he'll again have the role of coming off the bench after the opening exchanges. That means Hodgson will likely play 25 minutes at dummy half before shifting into the forwards, as an extra ball playing option. Blayke Brailey is just 23 years old and is still developing. But he's a player with plenty of promise, but he's also got plenty to learn. Hodgson had nine try assists in 2021, and 14 try involvements. Brailey had five try assists and nine involvements. Both averaged around 30 running metres per game (Hodgson 32, Brailey 27). Both produced three line breaks.

Brad Schneider and Nicho Hynes: This is a tough match-up for half Brad Schneider in his first starting game in the NRL. He's only played 10 minutes of first grade to date, in the Round 11 loss to the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium last year. Coach Ricky Stuart has called this match Schneider's "real debut". He played well in the trials. Hopefully he'll be given a good run in first grade so he has a chance to settle in and grow. Nicho Hynes had a break out season last year, scoring seven tries and posting 25 try assists and 39 involvements for the Storm. The Sharks have done well to recruit him.

My tip: These two teams finished outside the finals, the Sharks in ninth and the Raiders in 10th. Both ended with 10 victories - level on competition points with the eighth placed Titans. All three were well adrift of the top six teams.

The Raiders have made some adjustments in the off season, with changes in the assistant coaching and perfomance staff. The Sharks have made bigger changes, with former Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon taking over as head coach. They've also been very active in the player market, with Nicho Hynes, Dale Finucane and Cameron McInnes, brought to the club on deals worth a combined $6.3 million. They might have lost Shaun Johnson, but they are a stronger squad. I'm not going overboard on the Sharks, however, after one good trial win over the Bulldogs.

Both teams have some "outs", but the Raiders are probably more disrupted. This match almost a flip of the coin. But I think the Raiders might just get there. Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

Jack Wighton on Brad Schneider: "I'm excited. There's nothing more exciting than playing with a young kid stepping into first grade and trying to make an impact. Brad's a good all rounder. He's got a very strong running game, that's going to be one of the main things for us. He'll take the organising on board."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. James Schiller
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. Brad Schneider
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Elliott Whitehead (c)

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Adam Elliott
17. Corey Horsburgh

19. Matt Frawley
23. Xavier Savage

Injury/Suspension

Sebastian Kris, COVID isolation
Peter Hola, Knee (Rd 2-4)
Jordan Rapana, Suspension (Rd 3)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)

Cronulla Sharks

1. William Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Jesse Ramien
4. Ronaldo Mulitalo
5. Matt Ikuvalu
6. Matt Moylan
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Toby Rudolf
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Braden Hamlin-Uele
11. Briton Nikora
12. Teig Wilton
13. Dale Finucane

14. Aiden Tolman
15. Siosifa Talakai
16. Royce Hunt
17. Andrew Fifita

18. Luke Metcalf
19. Jesse Colquhoun

Injury/Suspension

Franklin Pele, Suspension (Rd 2)
Cameron McInnes, Knee (Rd 3)
Braydon Trindall, Suspension (Rd 3)
Wade Graham, Ankle (Rd 6)

Officials

Referee: Ben Cummins
Touch judges: Darian Furner, Matt Noyen
Video referee: Chris Butler

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: 2022 Rd 1 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by cat »

Heads up to all who are coming Friday night, according to the GIO stadium website we are still doing the see through bag thingy so no backpacks and jackets/coats on to enter

Using the qr check in reads as though its elective now
Vaccinated
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

cat wrote: March 5, 2022, 2:54 pm Heads up to all who are coming Friday night, according to the GIO stadium website we are still doing the see through bag thingy so no backpacks and jackets/coats on to enter

Should be too warm for coats. After the last two years this will be easy - though the lack of fans previously made the food and drink options pretty easy to take up!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 6, 2022, 9:35 pm
cat wrote: March 5, 2022, 2:54 pm Heads up to all who are coming Friday night, according to the GIO stadium website we are still doing the see through bag thingy so no backpacks and jackets/coats on to enter

Should be too warm for coats. After the last two years this will be easy - though the lack of fans previously made the food and drink options pretty easy to take up!
It was so easy to pick the raiders fans at away games last year, they had the see-through bags lol

After 2 weeks of rain in Sydney I will be happy if its dry, cold would be a new experience
Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who’s excited ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: March 8, 2022, 12:41 pm Who’s excited ?
Do we know if anyone can get to Canberra from Sydney without the aid of a hovercraft at the moment?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: March 8, 2022, 1:15 pm
Do we know if anyone can get to Canberra from Sydney without the aid of a hovercraft at the moment?
Depends where in Sydney you are, you can get there it will just take twice as long because you have to go around bad bits
Vaccinated
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Schiller in Centres :clap: :clap: :clap:

No savage :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Schiller in the centres is a surprise. Disappointed Savage is not even in the 17, while we have Semi on the wing.

Expect Semi to start in the centres, and Schiller moving to the wing.

What happened to Kris ? Is he injured ?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 8, 2022, 3:04 pm Schiller in the centres is a surprise. Disappointed Savage is not even in the 17, while we have Semi on the wing.

Corona
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 8, 2022, 2:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 8, 2022, 1:15 pm
Depends where in Sydney you are, you can get there it will just take twice as long because you have to go around bad bits
Cat Sydney is one big bad bit. Oh you mean the floods…… yeah yeah the bad bits :roflmao
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

How many problems did it take last year before we realised the folly of not carrying cover for the outside backs on the bench?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We had 99 problems and a bench ain’t one
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ill say this, ignoring the... alarming Semi > Savage selection... it's hard to move past but once you do, i think the team is pretty good... really like how that pack looks, it's balanced in the right ways

im eager to see a few things
1. Tapine and Papalii starting... we should be dominating games up front almost every game in the opening exchanges. I like it, i hope Stuart doesnt go away from it. Start hot and let the guys come in behind them and take advantage
2. Whitehead at lock, is it viable? I think he's got the skills and is best suited to that role now but it didnt always run smoothly in the trails. Might take some time but i do think we should persist
3. CHN and Young on the edges... CHN is a no brainer and im excited to see what we get from him this year, and im not a fan of Young as an edge but i am really interested to see if he evolve his game to be an edge forward. On paper he has edge forward traits, he hasn't IMO, shown a lot there, but maybe this is the year it clicks for him on the edge.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: March 8, 2022, 3:12 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 8, 2022, 3:04 pm Schiller in the centres is a surprise. Disappointed Savage is not even in the 17, while we have Semi on the wing.

Corona
Ah great, another player with alcohol problems !
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've got the kids in a 7s tournament until about 9pm. I have to stay in complete media blackout until I can get home and see the game on Kayo

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johno wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:57 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 8, 2022, 3:12 pm

Corona
Ah great, another player with alcohol problems !
Just have to hope it's not as terminal as the Breezer variant.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Has anyone got any inside info of training this week?? Im still hoping savage comes into the team, noticed hes still in the reserves
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2022, 7:35 pm Ill say this, ignoring the... alarming Semi > Savage selection... it's hard to move past but once you do, i think the team is pretty good... really like how that pack looks, it's balanced in the right ways

1. Tapine and Papalii starting... we should be dominating games up front almost every game in the opening exchanges. I like it, i hope Stuart doesnt go away from it. Start hot and let the guys come in behind them and take advantage
2. Whitehead at lock, is it viable? I think he's got the skills and is best suited to that role now but it didnt always run smoothly in the trails. Might take some time but i do think we should persist
3. CHN and Young on the edges... CHN is a no brainer and im excited to see what we get from him this year, and im not a fan of Young as an edge but i am really interested to see if he evolve his game to be an edge forward. On paper he has edge forward traits, he hasn't IMO, shown a lot there, but maybe this is the year it clicks for him on the edge.
Seeing Yeo play last night, I think he's so good because he can be a link man *and* make yardage... not sure if Whitehead has the latter... I still think it's a very good move though, actually essential where the 6 and 1, and possibly the 7, are not proper playmakers. Even it if it looks clunky to start with, I hope we stick with it
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

MrPosh wrote: March 8, 2022, 5:41 pm How many problems did it take last year before we realised the folly of not carrying cover for the outside backs on the bench?
I think CHN can still cover centre at a pinch. Kris out means it's harder to find that bench player as he's the logical solution there imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Botman wrote: March 8, 2022, 7:35 pm Ill say this, ignoring the... alarming Semi > Savage selection... it's hard to move past but once you do, i think the team is pretty good... really like how that pack looks, it's balanced in the right ways

Seeing Yeo play last night, I think he's so good because he can be a link man *and* make yardage... not sure if Whitehead has the latter... I still think it's a very good move though, actually essential where the 6 and 1, and possibly the 7, are not proper playmakers. Even it if it looks clunky to start with, I hope we stick with it
I think Smelly can make the metres but he needs to be clever. Defenders possibly sliding off him early may provide opportunities for him to dig his nose through and earn some metres/ quick ptb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

julian87 wrote: March 11, 2022, 10:35 am
MrPosh wrote: March 8, 2022, 5:41 pm How many problems did it take last year before we realised the folly of not carrying cover for the outside backs on the bench?
I think CHN can still cover centre at a pinch. Kris out means it's harder to find that bench player as he's the logical solution there imo.
I agree with you Mr Posh. In too many games last year we had to put a backrower in the centers and disrupt the defensive cohesion of the side which cost us. I would have had Savage on the right wing, but it he wasn't there, he should be on the bench imo. Nothing wrong with having an X-Factor attacking player to bring in.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy Walker wrote:
On our way.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Thats me ofcourse Bradley Cooper.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Any late changes? Go Raiders
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Not updated yet

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Raiders 1-17. No Savage.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Booo

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s Round 1 clash between the Canberra Raiders and the Cronulla Sharks! Here are the final teams:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. James Schiller 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Semi Valemei 6. Jack Wighton 7. Brad Schneider 8. Josh Papali'i 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Corey Harawira-Naera 13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Adam Elliott 17. Corey Horsburgh

23. Xavier Savage

Cronulla Sharks

1. William Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Ronaldo Mulitalo 5. Matt Ikuvalu 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Braden Hamlin-Uele 11. Briton Nikora 12. Teig Wilton 13. Dale Finucane

14. Aiden Tolman 15. Siosifa Talakai 16. Royce Hunt 17. Andrew Fifita

18. Luke Metcalf
The Greenhouse score update service
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dammit. If it's any consolation, I consider him an out and out fullback, and wouldn't be very effective on the wing anyway... Needs to be in the middle to use his zigzag speed

Good luck to the boys... Would love to topple off the NRL's new bum chums the Sharks
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Is he able to play reggies as 18th man?
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Carrn Raiders! Unleash Hell on the catfish!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

I have to say, Jacks haircut look absolutely ridiculous, he looks like a Hare Krishna !
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Opening minutes Valemei is taken out with in illegal high shot by Nicko Hynes, who is subsequently sent off. Valemei is OK but fails his HIA, thus activating Savage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.