Ricky Stuart’s rage over NRL inconsistencies

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart’s rage over NRL inconsistencies

Post by greeneyed »

‘Raiders copping it up the **** again’: Filthy Ricky fumes over double standards in huge NRL call

Fuming Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has blown up over a suspension loophole that benefited other clubs, accusing the NRL of double standards. The Raiders were told prior to the All Stars game that Jordan Rapana could not serve a suspension for a drink driving incident in that match. They were told that was only permitted for players suspended for on-field offences. Since then three players have been permitted to count the All Stars game to off field suspensions.

“It is the Canberra Raiders copping it up the **** again. That is a quote,” he said. “I am in disbelief and disgusted that it always seems to happen to us. We keep on copping it and copping it and it gets to the stage where you are absolutely fed up with it.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2a509194f5

Ricky Stuart’s rage as Brandon Smith cleared to play but Canberra’s Jordan Rapana punished: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c498a82ee1

NRL backflip leaves Canberra Raiders withering on the vine yet again: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Ricky Stuart’s rage over NRL inconsistencies

Post by -PJ- »

Stick mate, we’re undefeated.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good spray, hopefully it gets the desired outcome. Quite clearly that's a Bull situation and deserves a spray
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

NRL says his 1 match ban can run concurrently with his 2 match ban for the shoulder charge in the All Stars game. If he sits out the All Stars due to suspension then he can't commit the shoulder charge and is OK for round one. The situation is immersed in irony.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Yeah, I'm sick of the BS administrators that pander to the big clubs like Roosters, Souths and Melbourne. It's very unfair. Munster and Smith should have gotten more than one week in the first place - bringing the game into disrepute.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:NRL says his 1 match ban can run concurrently with his 2 match ban for the shoulder charge in the All Stars game. If he sits out the All Stars due to suspension then he can't commit the shoulder charge and is OK for round one. The situation is immersed in irony.
That’s made Ricky even more cross. He would have sat Rapana out of the All Stars if the NRL had been consistent. Then Jordan… well we know what then happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

A very measured professional response there. Don’t disagree with the point he’s making but more than a tad embarrassing and amateurish the way he made it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It isn't the way the point should have been made. But I certainly don't disagree that the NRL is repeatedly inconsistent in its policies and decision making... and I have no doubt that the more powerful clubs are often beneficiaries.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Calls like this just widen the already large gap between the NRL favourites and the other clubs. The current administration favours revenue over the integrity of the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 1, 2022, 11:54 am It isn't the way the point should have been made. But I certainly don't disagree that the NRL is repeatedly inconsistent in its policies and decision making... and I have no doubt that the more powerful clubs are often beneficiaries.
Yep a very half baked unprofessional and inconsistent approach from the NRL. No arguments there. I get Ricky’s rage, passion and emotion but a crass reply that possibly could even be seen to carry homophonic undertones is not the correct path. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I also sincerely hope that Raps experienced a similar level of anger for making the poor choices that created this situation in the first place.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I reckon all that will come from this is him being hauled over the coals for using the dated slang 'copping it up the ***' from the woke crowd, tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It has nothing to do with “woke” in my view (putting aside the point that being awake to social injustice is in fact a desirable thing in any modern society). It’s just not the sort of language to use in polite, public conversations. I suspect Ricky would be regretting it this morning.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 1, 2022, 12:43 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 1, 2022, 11:54 am It isn't the way the point should have been made. But I certainly don't disagree that the NRL is repeatedly inconsistent in its policies and decision making... and I have no doubt that the more powerful clubs are often beneficiaries.
Yep a very half baked unprofessional and inconsistent approach from the NRL. No arguments there. I get Ricky’s rage, passion and emotion but a crass reply that possibly could even be seen to carry homophonic undertones is not the correct path. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I also sincerely hope that Raps experienced a similar level of anger for making the poor choices that created this situation in the first place.
A more measured delivery would not have gained the same reaction by the media and therefore would get no attention from the NRL. This isn't a response in the heat of the moment. Sticky know's what he is doing.
Last edited by Northern Raider on March 1, 2022, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

On ya Stick, **** em.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wish Sticky had left it at being in 'disbelief and disgusted'. Fair enough to make the point about inconsistency from the NRL. I don't think he has done the Club any favors with the outburst. He can't expect professional behavior from his players when they are in public, if he doesn't act consistently professional in public himself.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It would be a shame if his language undermined the message.

In saying that, the NRL usually doesn't waste a good opportunity to **** things like this up. This policy on the run nonsense has got to stop. Nobody knows what the actual **** rules are around suspensions and the preseason games.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: March 1, 2022, 10:31 am Stick mate, we’re undefeated.
I think the fact RIcky is already blowing up deluxe in pre season means the boys must be champing at the bit- no slow starts this year!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

julian87 wrote: March 1, 2022, 1:30 pm I reckon all that will come from this is him being hauled over the coals for using the dated slang 'copping it up the ***' from the woke crowd, tbh.
Well they did go after him after his netball comment
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to clear up rep suspension loophole

The NRL will search for ways to simplify suspensions involving representative games after mass confusion surrounding exemptions granted since the All Stars fixture. It is unclear what model the NRL will come up with as they begin work on ideas, but one will be presented to the commission.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14326

Ricky Stuart erupts, while Laurie Daley says NRL should close suspension loophole for off-field issues: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/coppi ... b44061beff

Raging Ricky: ‘It’s the Canberra Raiders copping it up the **** again’: https://canberraweekly.com.au/raging-ri ... rse-again/

'In disbelief': Coach left 'disgusted' by NRL double standards: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2022-ri ... 51332.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sounds like the desired outcome will be achieved and a more consistent policy will be put in place, wont help us now, but a good result

So again, a good and valid spray by Ricky, his choice of words arent for today's standards but i dont think we need to be THAT worried about 55 year old man who has spent his entire life in an environment (professional sports) which is quite draconian and is thus behind the times on that language front. That battle is firmly being won, but you wont change people like him, the cement on the wall of his brain was set a long time ago.

And as NR rightly points outs, a measured response was not the goal here. A blow up and a spicy quote was required to get the attention it needed.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So you’re ok if you asked your raiders supporting children how school was today and they complained about a teacher in the same words Ricky chose?

If we want to limit ourselves to a 55 year old supporter base then all power to Ricky. I’d have thought we’d have a little higher ambition.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick has a fair point.

Just a shame that it’s very much a law of diminishing returns with these theatrics. The great man has whinged about so many other things over the years in an effort to deflect attention from his substandard coaching, the routine is pretty tired now.

He’s the boy who cried wolf at this point
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 1, 2022, 8:27 pm So you’re ok if you asked your raiders supporting children how school was today and they complained about a teacher in the same words Ricky chose?

If we want to limit ourselves to a 55 year old supporter base then all power to Ricky. I’d have thought we’d have a little higher ambition.
No, im an adult who can explain to them context and how life really works, not how it should work but how it does... and they have real life experiences of people in their lives who might sometimes use language or express views that don't align to our values and how we want their values to be, and we explain why they may say these things and why we beleive them to be unacceptable and we trust them to learn the lessons. And guess what? They do!

Welcome to real life Billy. Old people dont change, at least most of them, And hot tip pal, your grandkids wont much care for your rusted on views either, and you can say you wont be that all you like but odds on you will, and they'll be conservative and outdated views.
And it will be on your kids to explain why grandpa isnt a monster but rather just a guy who is behind the times and each generation gets better.

Its really fine. I've spoken to both my children about this very thing many times, and will many times again. And one day i expect (and hope!) they'll consider me a fossil of different age whose opinions and views should be discounted. Im not arrogant enough to think ill be on the cusp of societial progression in the waning years of my life. Imma have some takes about life my grandkids think are WILD.

again, we dont need to turn EVERYTHING into a WOKE vs CANCEL CULTURE battleground. We really can just be a thing to accept is not good and keep it moving without the fanfare
Last edited by Botman on March 1, 2022, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bot I’m sure your a great parent so let’s move the debate away from that example.

Surely you don’t accept the position that we just accept a lower standard because the person holding it doesn’t know better?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 1, 2022, 8:47 pm Bot I’m sure your a great parent so let’s move the debate away from that example.

Surely you don’t accept the position that we just accept a lower standard because the person holding it doesn’t know better?

My comments cover that. But yes, we as a society have to accept people dont always know better.

Is that ideal? No. Is that how i want life to be? No.
But it is a reality of life. Reality on reality terms.
My grandmother was a wonderful woman. Truly a special women who achieved many great things in her life. She didnt much care for women leaders. She was wrong. She was the unquestionable matriarch of a very large and expansive family. She was what she didnt beleive her gender could be, she didnt know better because of the environment she was brought up.

It's really IS ok. We'll get by. We have for ages and will continue to get by, as long as we continue to impress on our kids the need to evolve beyond their parents views.
Parents, and i speak only for myself here SHOULD tell their kids Stuart's verbage is unaccaptable and explain why if they ask or hear them, and they'll learn from it and the next generation will be better than the next.
But there is nothing we can do to change Stuart's dispositon. You can fine him, you can suspend him, he could make a statement... its IMO, worthless. So dont bother, just use it as a chance to educate the next generation
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Of course the other option is we demand more of our leaders and hold them to a higher standard. I’m pleased that the majority of poster on this topic can separate the grossly unreasonable stance of the NRL and the very poor response from our club coach. I’m not suggesting we march on Raiders HQ or burn jumpers in disgust but I really don’t think we should just look the other way and say that the response is just Ricky being Ricky.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And not a lot of poeple are! Most of us are calling out and accepting his language is not OK.
If demanding more achieved absolute results we might be in a different world We're not.
Most people accept the situation is unacceptable and Stuart's verbage in expressing his anger at that is unacceptable. We really can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 1, 2022, 9:26 pm And not a lot of poeple are! Most of us are calling out and accepting his language is not OK.
If demanding more achieved absolute results we might be in a different world We're not.
Most people accept the situation is unacceptable and Stuart's verbage in expressing his anger at that is unacceptable. We really can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Sounds like we are on the same page about Ricky’s language being poor and not what we want from leaders at our club.

I must have misinterpreted when you said:

“i dont think we need to be THAT worried about 55 year old man who has spent his entire life in an environment (professional sports) which is quite draconian and is thus behind the times on that language front”.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read Ricky's comment.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ill telll ya what, I aint changing for No ****. I am awaitng for that sickening Greta to bounce in here soon, she can get **** too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: again, we dont need to turn EVERYTHING into a WOKE vs CANCEL CULTURE battleground.
Pretty sure that’s the one side you’ve got fighting there.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: March 1, 2022, 8:27 pm So you’re ok if you asked your raiders supporting children how school was today and they complained about a teacher in the same words Ricky chose?

I'm fat more concerned about other rubbish they're teaching in schools, and real life problems like the war in Ukraine.

If you're so naive Billy, to think that kids aren't using profanity, including that phrase, then I don't know what to say.

The military have a phrase of similar meaning: pineappled.

I'm sure you can work out what that implies. Maybe call Ricky and expand his vocabulary.

People acting as moral arbiters when their own life is imperfect is the problem with today's society.

While the phrase is 'old school', as Pig stated.....it got the outcome.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 1, 2022, 9:37 pm
Botman wrote: March 1, 2022, 9:26 pm And not a lot of poeple are! Most of us are calling out and accepting his language is not OK.
Most people accept the situation is unacceptable and Stuart's verbiage in expressing his anger at that is unacceptable. We really can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Sounds like we are on the same page about Ricky’s language being poor and not what we want from leaders at our club.

I must have misinterpreted when you said:

“i dont think we need to be THAT worried about 55 year old man who has spent his entire life in an environment (professional sports) which is quite draconian and is thus behind the times on that language front”.
If you took anything from that quote other than exactly what it says, then yes, I guess you did misinterpret what i said.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Who would have thought "Copping it up the a**" would cause so much Butt hurt...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think it’s an expression like “I’ll be buggered” that shouldn’t be taken too literally. Ricky didn’t mean anything by it.