2022 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: June 29, 2022, 8:19 pm Is Raydon Burns on train and trial ? I think he got injured and carried off last I saw, but he looked pretty good for the games I watched before that one
Lower grade contract is my understanding. 7 News Queensland called it a development contract when it was announced, but he’s not on the development contract list.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: June 29, 2022, 8:27 pm
Neeeegz wrote: June 29, 2022, 8:19 pm Is Raydon Burns on train and trial ? I think he got injured and carried off last I saw, but he looked pretty good for the games I watched before that one
Lower grade contract is my understanding. 7 News Queensland called it a development contract when it was announced, but he’s not on the development contract list.
Thank you, one to watch I think, looked a level above in reserves I thought
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Havent watched a lot of NSW footy, just the highlights these days but he had some very nice skills. REALLY impressive
Unfortunately i think he's too small

Raiders website has him at 170cm and 74kgs
Some comps of smaller stature players

Jahrome Hughes - 183cm and 90kgs
Kayln Ponga - 184cm and 92kgs
Scott Drinkwater - 181 and 91kgs
Reece Walsh - 177cm and 88kgs
Nathan Cleary - 182cm and 92kgs
Jayden Campbell - 183cm and 80kgs
Xavier Savage - 184cm and 80kgs
Ben Hunt - 178cm and 88kgs

Evan Sam Williams is 180cm and 87kgs according to his profile. Tough situation for Burns.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2022, 9:22 pm Havent watched a lot of NSW footy, just the highlights these days but he had some very nice skills. REALLY impressive

Evan Sam Williams is 180cm and 87kgs according to his profile. Tough situation for Burns.
Savage listed as 90kg on the Raiders website.
Sam Walker 183cm and 78kg would be one of the leanest. Tom Starling would be close to the overall smallest at 172cm and 80kg. He's nuggety strong though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sam Walker is a good shout. Tom i thought about but didnt google because i figured he'd be bigger than that! Definitely defends above his size

Wonder what Linclon Withers was at his peak. That bloke **** folded dudes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preston Campbell was 1.67m and 75kgs. Times have changed, but height not the only thing. We’ll see how he goes.

Lincoln Withers was 1.76m and 84kgs.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: 2021 in review - Emre Guler

Post by Ilanraiders »

How’s Emre travelling? Is he injured? Must be in a very bad form slump?
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 in review - Emre Guler

Post by Crash Ball »

Ilanraiders wrote: June 30, 2022, 5:45 am How’s Emre travelling? Is he injured? Must be in a very bad form slump?
Looks to be injured or got Covid this week. He has been ok in NSW Cup from what I have seen, not standing out but not terrible.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Which is a real problem for him. Given his experience and potential he should be dominant in NSW cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: June 29, 2022, 12:26 pm
Crash Ball wrote: June 29, 2022, 12:19 pm Is Guler injured? I noticed he isn't in the NSW Cup side.
Must be. Schneider too, after going off against Newcastle for an HIA. Not selected either. The official injury doesn’t seem to cover top 30 players, more like the players injured who have been playing first grade.
The Raiders' website today states that Schneider will partner Frawley in the halves in NSW on Sunday.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2022, 9:22 pm Havent watched a lot of NSW footy, just the highlights these days but he had some very nice skills. REALLY impressive

Yeah, was unsure of age, if he could gain a few kgs of muscle, but yeah, still a spot for those little fast guys in vladysball, if used right, and seemed to have a good footy brain from what I saw of him,
I hope we keep him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harry Rushton out for 8-10 weeks with fractured jaw

As reported on The Greenhouse on Saturday, Harry Rushton, Trey Mooney and Semi Valemei were injured in the NSW Cup clash with the Bears. Harry Rushton had surgery today and will miss 8-10 weeks with a fractured jaw. Trey Mooney will have scans this week on an ankle injury to determine if he requires surgery.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/07 ... y-valemei/

Semi Valemei, Knee (Rd 19-20)
Harry Rushton, Fractured jaw (Rd 25)
Trey Mooney, Ankle (Indefinite)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

is that list missing Schiller or he is back already?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Boomercm wrote: July 12, 2022, 1:53 pm is that list missing Schiller or he is back already?
Returned in NSW Cup last weekend.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8866753138

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ouch. Harry looked pretty tough in his FG stints, but that's a brutal photo. Hope he bounces back ok.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana facing 2-3 weeks on the sidelines for careless high tackle

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana faces at least two games on the sidelines after being charged with two offences in Sunday's win over the Storm.

Rapana was charged with a grade one shoulder charge on Marion Seve in the 40th minute. The charge carries a $3000 fine increasing to a two-game ban if he fights the charge and is uncuccessful. Rapana also faces a two-game ban for a careless high tackle on Seve in the 58th minute or three games if he challenges the charge and loses.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

how many weeks did Olam get?

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: July 18, 2022, 1:20 pm how many weeks did Olam get?

None.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Olam wasn't a conventional shoulder charge, he was saving a try and didn't put Schiller's head at any risk of a knock. It's a contact sport - things like that will happen and a bit of discretion needs to be applied. Was he meant to give Schiller a saloon passage to the line?

We had a very similar one with Rapa on Sivo last year which also went unpunished.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Olam wasn't a conventional shoulder charge, he was saving a try and didn't put Schiller's head at any risk of a knock. It's a contact sport - things like that will happen and a bit of discretion needs to be applied. Was he meant to give Schiller a saloon passage to the line?

We had a very similar one with Rapa on Sivo last year which also went unpunished.
Yeah it's more a body check than a shoulder charge. That said Rapana did get away with 2 (I think) last year but was suspended at the start of the season for a similar 'body check' in the All Stars game. Apparently you can get suspended from that game but not from Origin?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:Olam wasn't a conventional shoulder charge, he was saving a try and didn't put Schiller's head at any risk of a knock. It's a contact sport - things like that will happen and a bit of discretion needs to be applied. Was he meant to give Schiller a saloon passage to the line?

Yeah it's more a body check than a shoulder charge. That said Rapana did get away with 2 (I think) last year but was suspended at the start of the season for a similar 'body check' in the All Stars game. Apparently you can get suspended from that game but not from Origin?
origin they came out before the series and said it is a different weighted game and that fines were going to be issued rather than suspension.
Olam tucked his arm and drove the shoulder, Schiller was a foot inside the touchline so if you can't even attempt to wrap arms tough luck.
Rapana on Sivo was hip first contact not shoulder

Edrick The Entertainer
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:21 am Olam wasn't a conventional shoulder charge, he was saving a try and didn't put Schiller's head at any risk of a knock. It's a contact sport - things like that will happen and a bit of discretion needs to be applied. Was he meant to give Schiller a saloon passage to the line?

He was supposed to wrap his arms around him so that it was an actual tackle. That's the rule isn't it?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They're pretty consistent in not penalising or charging wingers who are attempting to stop a try in that scenario
Thank god too, otherwise Jordy Raps would never play more than 1-2 games in a row :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
gergreg wrote:

origin they came out before the series and said it is a different weighted game and that fines were going to be issued rather than suspension.
Olam tucked his arm and drove the shoulder, Schiller was a foot inside the touchline so if you can't even attempt to wrap arms tough luck.
Rapana on Sivo was hip first contact not shoulder

I don't think it makes sense that players can be suspended leading into an Origin match and therefore missing that opportunity but then not be punished for the exact same issue in that Origin game.

I watched a few replays of the Olam body check and in the 'stills' it actually looked like his leading with his head.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

Post by greeneyed »

In that case (the try saver on Sivo) no shoulder was involved. It was Rapana’s hip that made contact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana takes early guilty pleas, suspended for two matches

Jordan Rapana will miss two matches after taking the early plea for the grade two careless high tackle on Marion Seve. He has also taken the early guilty plea for his grade one shoulder charge on Seve and will pay a $3000 fine.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/07 ... an-rapana/
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2022, 11:28 am

In that case (the try saver on Sivo) no shoulder was involved. It was Rapana’s hip that made contact.

And in the Olam case first contact was with his head, contact was on the chest (I know height isn't in the rulebook but it helps with common sense application) and he was clearly wrapping his arms around but the impact of collision sent Schiller out of his grasp.

Pretty clearly not a shoulder charge given they are ruled very technically, as with the Rapana example you cited. League is a collision sport which will occasionally look spectacular and like someone did something wrong, but in this case Olam didn't.

If you want to go down the path of penalising this and the Sam Verrills tackle the other week because of the optics then fair enough. But we'll be Rugby Union sending players off the field for head collisions soon enough.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 19, 2022, 1:56 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2022, 11:28 am

And in the Olam case first contact was with his head, contact was on the chest (I know height isn't in the rulebook but it helps with common sense application) and he was clearly wrapping his arms around but the impact of collision sent Schiller out of his grasp.

Pretty clearly not a shoulder charge given they are ruled very technically, as with the Rapana example you cited. League is a collision sport which will occasionally look spectacular and like someone did something wrong, but in this case Olam didn't.

If you want to go down the path of penalising this and the Sam Verrills tackle the other week because of the optics then fair enough. But we'll be Rugby Union sending players off the field for head collisions soon enough.
I think Olam's "tackle" was pretty clearly a shoulder charge. No wrapping motion with the arms, shoulder is the point of contact. I don't have a huge problem with it, as I always enjoyed a good shoulder charge, so long as there was no dangerous contact. If you look at the shoulder charge that Rapana was charged for on the weekend, there was no dangerous contact, it wasn't high, and there wasn't even much force. Not even concerning enough for the referee to award a penalty. Much less dangerous than the Olam tackle. But it was technically a shoulder charge and the rules say you can't.

In short, if Rapana was being charged with a shoulder charge, I think Olam should have been too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schiller out for one to two weeks with ankle injury

James Schiller has been ruled out for 1-2 weeks with an ankle injury. Schiller suffered a lateral ankle sprain and will hopefully be available for selection again in Round 20. Trey Mooney will miss a further 2-3 weeks with his ankle injury, while Semi Valemei is also set to miss 1-2 more matches with his knee injury. Corey Horsburgh is still recovering from illness and will miss one more match.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (hamstring) will be named in NSW Cup this week.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/07 ... le-injury/

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Virus (Rd 20)
James Schiller, Ankle (Rd 20-21)
Semi Valemei, Knee (Rd 20-21)
Jordan Rapana, Suspended (Rd 21)
Trey Mooney, Ankle (Rd 21-22)
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Does anyone know how long Ricky is out with his torn calf?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Joe Tapine's fitness to be assessed on Tuesday

Joe Tapine will be assessed again on Tuesday to see if he will be available for selection against the Dragons on Sunday at Canberra Stadium.

Ryan Sutton will undergo concussion protocols after failing his HIA during the match on Saturday, to see if he is available for the match on Sunday. Semi Valemei also sustained a rib injury during the NSW Cup game and will also be assessed on Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/08 ... oe-tapine/

Joseph Tapine, Ribs (Indefinite)
Semi Valemei, Ribs (Indefinite)
Xavier Savage, Ankle (Rd 22)
James Schiller, COVID isolation (Rd 22)
Ryan Sutton, Concussion (Rd 22-23)
Nick Cotric, Suspended (Rd 23)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Two dangerous contact charges for Canberra Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead

Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead has been hit with two charges from Friday night's 40-4 semi-final loss to Parramatta but will be free to play for England in the opening game of the World Cup.

Whitehead was hit with two dangerous contact charges for incidents involving Eels five-eighth Dylan Brown in the 49th minute of the match at CommBank Stadium and prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard two minutes before fulltime. Each offence will cost Whitehead an $1800 fine if he pleads guilty or $2500 if he unsuccessfully challenges the charge.

Regardless, the England second-rower will be available for the opening game of the World Cup against Samoa at St James Park on October 15.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GE, is there any word on how injured players HSS and JC are recovering from their injuries?
Do you know of any other Raiders players who were carrying injury into the finals who will need surgery in the off season, please?