2022 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

Post by greeneyed »

He is one of the club’s greatest ever servants. He deserves to get to 300 games. If it doesn’t happen, he’ll still be one of the club’s greatest ever servants. A wonderful player, deservedly holds all sorts of club records and records in the game. He’s our captain, a humble player, a good bloke, he’s served with distinction. And that is why I’d love to see him get 300.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

300 likely becomes more difficult if there is a fit HSS on the scene in addition to the current centres who are showing decent form.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2022, 11:13 pm He is one of the club’s greatest ever servants. He deserves to get to 300 games. If it doesn’t happen, he’ll still be one of the club’s greatest ever servants. A wonderful player, deservedly holds all sorts of club records and records in the game. He’s our captain, a humble player, a good bloke, he’s served with distinction. And that is why I’d love to see him get 300.
Would you select him if he wasn't the best man for the job to push him up to 300?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 4, 2022, 9:29 am
greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2022, 11:13 pm He is one of the club’s greatest ever servants. He deserves to get to 300 games. If it doesn’t happen, he’ll still be one of the club’s greatest ever servants. A wonderful player, deservedly holds all sorts of club records and records in the game. He’s our captain, a humble player, a good bloke, he’s served with distinction. And that is why I’d love to see him get 300.
Would you select him if he wasn't the best man for the job to push him up to 300?
I think for many it’s easier to avoid that question and just kid yourself he is the best man for the job.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The problem is some of the best players in team sports damage their long term legacy by playing on too long past their best.

They get remembered for the poor end to their career not the first 80% of it. Darius Boyd is but one example.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No. But there were six games this year when he was the better option.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: June 4, 2022, 10:01 am
I think for many it’s easier to avoid that question and just kid yourself he is the best man for the job.
Ah, I knew it wouldn't be long before you wouldn't be able to restrain yourself from dancing on his grave.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: June 4, 2022, 2:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 4, 2022, 10:01 am
Ah, I knew it wouldn't be long before you wouldn't be able to restrain yourself from dancing on his grave.
I don’t think anyone has actually died here Skater.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: June 4, 2022, 10:44 am The problem is some of the best players in team sports damage their long term legacy by playing on too long past their best.

They get remembered for the poor end to their career not the first 80% of it. Darius Boyd is but one example.
I don’t think that’s very accurate at all
The overwhelmingly majority of sports stars are remembered for their peak, and the final days are almost completely forgotten

No one really remembers Stuart and Clyde for their bulldogs stints.
Steve Walters finished his career with entirely forgettable stints at the cowboys and knights
Ruben Wiki’s warriors time was underwhelming and no one gives a ****

That’s just raiders
Just one noteable example, Wally Lewis playing out the his final two years as a pretty washed up version for the chargers

Across sports, we’ve got Gary Ablett Jr’s run with their Gold Coast team
I dont even remember the last time someone mentioned Lockett’s very bold and unsuccessful comeback in 2002

This is rife in US sports
With prominent NBA and NFL players “ring chasing” at the tail end of their careers.
The best example being Michael Jordan’s Washington career

Bill Simmons did a podcast on this not so long ago and it was hilarious hearing some of it.
Apparently, Shaq played for the Celtics, Dion Sanders and his rough run in Baltimore, Jerry Rice and his final days at the Raiders and Seattle.
Brett Farve and the jets
It could go on for days!

I promise you 10 years from now Broncos and Dragons will only remember Boyd for the incredible career he had and his legacy will not be impacted at all by his final very bad years. They’ll be completely forgotten, like Wally’s Gold Coast run
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2022, 5:35 pm
BJ wrote: June 4, 2022, 10:44 am The problem is some of the best players in team sports damage their long term legacy by playing on too long past their best.

The overwhelmingly majority of sports stars are remembered for their peak, and the final days are almost completely forgotten

Steve Walters finished his career with entirely forgettable stints at the cowboys and knights

That’s just raiders
Just one noteable example, Wally Lewis playing out the his final two years as a pretty washed up version for the chargers

I dont even remember the last time someone mentioned Lockett’s very bold and unsuccessful comeback in 2002

With prominent NBA and NFL players “ring chasing” at the tail end of their careers.

Bill Simmons did a podcast on this not so long ago and it was hilarious hearing some of it.
Apparently, Shaq played for the Celtics, Dion Sanders and his rough run in Baltimore, Jerry Rice and his final days at the Raiders and Seattle.
Brett Farve and the jets
It could go on for days!

I promise you 10 years from now Broncos and Dragons will only remember Boyd for the incredible career he had and his legacy will not be impacted at all by his final very bad years. They’ll be completely forgotten, like Wally’s Gold Coast run
Maybe. The issue with your example is that every rugby league player you’ve listed there has played at the highest levels - both State of Origin and for Australia. The AFL players you have listed are both All-Australians, and while I don’t follow US sports I’ve heard Michael Jordan was a fair baller and expect the others were also in the elite class.

I’d agree that someone who has played the sport at the highest of levels will likely be remembered for that even if their career ends on a lesser note. Does that translate to a player that never played proper representative football or win a premiership. Time will be the judge and everything else is just speculation.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:

That’s just raiders

Brett Farve and the jets
It could go on for days!

I probably needed to be clearer. I’m not talking the Superstars like Lewis, Stuart or Clyde they’re always going to be remembered for their best, even though they finished below par.

I’m talking those good players who ‘seemingly’ play on for the paycheque with performances well below their former level for many years. I’m not accusing Croker of this, but some may.

My West Tigers mate who absolutely loved Chris Lawrence, still goes on about his last few terrible seasons. Similar to my Saints fan mate who was constantly bagging Jason Nightingale for his final seasons blocking some young star and another friend who loved Luke Birt for years and still blames him for Parra missing out on some star winger.

Croker has had pretty forgettable 2020,21,22 seasons. Noting I don’t remember bagging Jarrod out on here over the last few years. I’ve always been a fan of his, but I’m just thinking I don’t want him playing on as a shadow of his former self.

I probably remember Lawrence, Birt and Nightingale at their worst rather than their best.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 was a bit down for Jarrod but it was not a forgettable one: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34326

He’s had one poor season due to injury in 2021. And now 2022, again due to injury.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You cited Boyd, who played a **** ton of games for QLD and Australia, with a remarkable strike rate, won a premiership and was the CMM medalist of that game. and was truly one of the cataylsts for the current modern day sweep play, and then tell me you're talking about superstars legacy? Ok. So what's Boyd got to do with it? :lol:

What "legacy" are any of those guys mentioned are leaving behind?

If you're good enough to have a legacy to leave behind, that's what you'll be remembered for. If not, you'll fall where you fall. But no one tarnishes a legacy, because anyone good enough to have one is remembered for what they did to achieve it. "Good" players dont leave legacies. Great players do.

That said Id feel very confident there are FAR more fans who think back on 2 of those guys with fondness than those who dont. That will be the case for Croker, of that im 100% certain of.
Individual fans can feel how they feel, and you can feel it for any reason you like. That's fandom.
But i know quite a few parra fans, i've never heard a bad word against Burt. My feeling is he's very much appreciated in the fan base.

Lawrence was an interesting situation because he was BAD for a LOT longer than he was good, thanks to that terrible hip injury. Lawrence dislocated his hip at the peak of his powers in 2011, 4 years into his career (i think, or was it 5?), he was never CLOSE to the same player, but played on another 9 years. That's not Croker. Anyone who wants to say its like for like can hit the bricks IMO, not interested in talking to you about football.

I dont know a lot of dragons fans, but Nightengale fell off hard and fast at the very death, but he too put in a VERY long time of quality service and i'd wager he's remembered fondly by the vast majority of Dragons fans.

But we can quibble about these sorts of players, but i go back to my original point... IMO, if you're good enough to have a legacy to leave, you'll be remembered for what you did to build it. If you dont, you dont. From my sports watching experience, time very much heals 99% of wounds on the legacy front. But perhaps we view "legacy" differently.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d be surprised if there were any raiders fans that didn’t hold Meninga, Daily, Clyde, Stuart, Belcher, Chicka and a host of other players in the true legend status. I suspect there will be a lot of raiders fans that see Croker in a similar light. But while I’m confident 100% of supporters hold the other players in that legend category I’m certain that less than 100% of raiders supporters hold JC in that legend category.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2022, 11:54 am
Hard to know if he was as JCs lack of durability means he could only get through 3/4 of a game against a Rabbits rabble. Valemei looked okay against some of the lesser teams early in the season too.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:51 am
Hard to know if he was as JCs lack of durability means he could only get through 3/4 of a game against a Rabbits rabble. Valemei looked okay against some of the lesser teams early in the season too.
Who only got through 3/4 of a Rabbitohs game?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:42 am
Oh it was the Bulldogs game. My bad :D
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 5, 2022, 10:15 am
Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:42 am

Oh it was the Bulldogs game. My bad :D
He played 75 mins
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Rapana suspended again

Post by cat »

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/

I didn't even notice this "horrific " tackle resulting in a grade 2 charge.

We do seem to get less money fines and more weeks off then others.

Yes Zac charged to and fined
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Rapana suspended again

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:12 pm We do seem to get less money fines and more weeks off then others.
No we don't, that's just silly.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

He kicked the Roosters player in the face… I think a one week suspension is fair
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana faces ban for dangerous contact

Raiders winger Jordan Rapana has been hit with a grade two dangerous contact charge for an incident involving Roosters forward Egan Butcher. He faces a one-match ban with an early guilty plea or two matches if he fights the charge at the judiciary and loses.

Raiders hooker Zac Woolford faces a fine for a crusher tackle on Joseph Suaalii.

Jordan Rapana (Raiders) Grade 2 Dangerous Contact 1-2 matches
Zac Woolford (Raiders) Grade 1 Crusher Tackle $1500 (1 match) - $2000 (1 match)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/

Jordan Rapana faces suspension for stray boot: https://canberraweekly.com.au/jordan-ra ... tray-boot/

Canberra Raiders' Jordan Rapana faces ban for face kick after 'low' Roosters tackle: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... rs-tackle/

VIDEO: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-canbe ... 8487c271c0
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Toviii wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:16 pm He kicked the Roosters player in the face… I think a one week suspension is fair
Nah, apparently it's a conspiracy against the Raiders.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'd take the 1 match for that.

Billy the Karate Kid will be giving Raps the call up for game II

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Not sure how the "victim" of Rapana "lashing out" wasn't charged for a cannon ball into the legs...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

harsh on woolford, others dropping off and sualli screwing around caused the crusher, penalty sufficient

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2022, 5:35 pm

That’s just raiders

Brett Farve and the jets
It could go on for days!

Botman I agree with you but to describe Michael Jordan’s stint at the Wizards as ring chasing is way off the mark. He was chasing $$$$$ and they did not come close to the playoffs in either of his seasons there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sorry, just a poorly structured post (i have some ADD and often jump from thought to thought in posts :lol:)
The MJ part should have been above that setence as MJ's washington stint is the best example of people completely ignoring the last bad years of players when it comes to legacy. He did the last dance doc and i dont think the wizards were mentioned at all! :lol:

the ring chasers are very much in US sports, but you are right, Jordan was was not one of them, he was in that Wizards deal for the ownership stake
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Both Rapana and Woolford have taken early pleas, as expected: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... nd-rapana/
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Does anyone know where Sammy Williams is?

Not listed anywhere and not listed as injured.

Saw something on Instagram that the girls we’re celebrating a farewell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elliott Whitehead charged with dangerous contact but will escape with a fine

Canberra Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead as been charged with Grade 1 dangerous contact after a late hit on Kalyn Ponga in the clash with the Newcastle Knights on Sunday. Whitehead will be fined $1000 if he takes an early guilty plea or $1500 if he contests and is found guilty by the judiciary.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... s/#Raiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elliott Whitehead takes early plea, fined $1000 for dangerous contact: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Is Guler injured? I noticed he isn't in the NSW Cup side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Crash Ball wrote: June 29, 2022, 12:19 pm Is Guler injured? I noticed he isn't in the NSW Cup side.
Must be. Schneider too, after going off against Newcastle for an HIA. Not selected either. The official injury doesn’t seem to cover top 30 players, more like the players injured who have been playing first grade.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Is Raydon Burns on train and trial ? I think he got injured and carried off last I saw, but he looked pretty good for the games I watched before that one