Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Roe v Wade overturned.

Well done Republican and Trump supporters. **** morons.
Trump's legacy lives on.

What a mess.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Such a bizarre country. Couldn't possibly wear a mask, because freedumbs, but damned if they are going to give women the freedom to choose what to do with their body.

An unintended consequence might be to mobilise apathetic people to vote against the GOP
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Probably cause even deeper problems by causing exodus from states with draconian laws, leaving them in the hands of the republicans for presidential elections…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:15 pm Probably cause even deeper problems by causing exodus from states with draconian laws, leaving them in the hands of the republicans for presidential elections…
The people who this affects most probably don't have that option. Minorities, those who simply can't even afford a trip to a State that has not criminalised abortion. I watched the cable news today, and the point that cut deepest was that all the justices who produced this decision lied in their confirmation hearings. These are the sort of people who came up with the decision.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

What I’m saying is that your middle/upper middle class who are stronger democrat supporters will move states to places with sensible laws for their children. Leaving those states they left harder to turn away from Republican.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the calls for impeachment of a few of these Justices on the grounds of perjury have a pretty good case... not sure they have it legally, not an expert but its very clear they deliberately lied in thier confirmation hearings.

I dont think they'd have the **** balls to do it, but they should at least try
I keep saying this, but at some point the Democrats have to actually do something. Expand the supreme court, pack the courts, eliminate the filabuster, ram through some meaningful legislatation on things like gun reform, voting rights, womens rights... if the GOP and their soulless ghouls overturn it next time they're in power so be it, but at least you can go to sleep at night knowing you tried, that you went down swinging.
Last edited by Botman on June 27, 2022, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's pretty damming that all three were specifically asked about Roe at their hearings, and all three inferred that it would not be touched. No moral compass. Not what you want from a judge sitting on the bench of the highest court in your land, but perhaps representative of a reasonable proportion of the US population. It's been obvious for years that we are watching the death throws of an empire.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

*throes

Sounds like the kind of thing that would be impossible to prosecute.

People really need to pay attention to politics stop voting for **** stupid, selfish, and occasionally downright evil people.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

For me it is more disconcerting how political the judiciary is in america.

It makes me appreciate the judiciary here in australia.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

It’s going to get a lot worse than Roe v Wade, they’ve spoken about looking at same sex marriage and sodomy cases, currently looking at one regarding state rights with voting which will essentially make voting meaningless, we’re watching the fall of Rome.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:11 pm
T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Roe v Wade overturned.

Well done Republican and Trump supporters. **** morons.
Trump's legacy lives on.

What a mess.

Such a bizarre country. Couldn't possibly wear a mask, because freedumbs, but damned if they are going to give women the freedom to choose what to do with their body.

An unintended consequence might be to mobilise apathetic people to vote against the GOP
Too little to late unfortunately, this Supreme Court will hold sway for decades to come and the Democrats are too gutless to do anything meaningful. I heard a savage but apt analogy earlier, Republicans are the mass shooter and Democrats the cops waiting outside the school too afraid to go in.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yes I’m still alive much to everyone’s disappointment 😘
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: July 8, 2022, 10:00 am Yes I’m still alive much to everyone’s disappointment 😘
Looks like I owe Botman 50 bucks!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He's back!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

How's that Sex Party thing going, Bushy?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It appears that the former Japanese PM, Abe, has been assassinated.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: July 8, 2022, 1:42 pm It appears that the former Japanese PM, Abe, has been assassinated.
Is he confirmed dead? I thought he'd just been shot!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2022, 12:55 pm How's that Sex Party thing going, Bushy?
Edit: Oops you meant the political party, Fiona’s still going strong not sure how the rest went.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote: July 8, 2022, 1:42 pm It appears that the former Japanese PM, Abe, has been assassinated.
Mixed reports. No vital signs but apparently revived at the hospital. Looks grim.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Mixed reports. No vital signs but apparently revived at the hospital. Looks grim.

He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was then transferred to a better hospital where his status was upgraded to alive.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was then transferred to a better hospital where his status was upgraded to alive.
Now he's dead again

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Now he's dead again

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who knew when Scomo was talking about his Captains pick he actually meant he'd just pick himself?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Reminds me of this episode of The Office
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Is Scomo the most self serving PM that we've ever had? Certainly the worst in my life time. I mean Abbott and Rudd were pricks, but this guy is next level.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's right up there. Every time you think "we'll see a bit of humility this time" you find out something or hear a speech and he just goes to another level.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who beats him? No one in my lifetime.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: August 31, 2022, 6:43 am Who beats him? No one in my lifetime.
Some may say Rudd/Turnbull but I don’t think having a galaxy sized ego is tantamount to being self-serving. They were victims of the blood sport of party politics but they both at least had a sense of public service and a desire to nation build.

And even if you disagree with their politics you probably couldn’t accuse the likes of Howard, Abbott, Keating, Hawke or Whitlam of not being conviction politicians.

Morrison wins in an absolute canter. He openly stated that he did not seek to leave any legacy. Power for powers sake.

It would be difficult to mount a serious argument that Australia didn’t make the right choice by turfing him out in May.
Up The Milk
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: August 31, 2022, 6:43 am Who beats him? No one in my lifetime.
Some may say Rudd/Turnbull but I don’t think having a galaxy sized ego is tantamount to being self-serving. They were victims of the blood sport of party politics but they both at least had a sense of public service and a desire to nation build.

And even if you disagree with their politics you probably couldn’t accuse the likes of Howard, Abbott, Keating, Hawke or Whitlam of not being conviction politicians.

Morrison wins in an absolute canter. He openly stated that he did not seek to leave any legacy. Power for powers sake.

It would be difficult to mount a serious argument that Australia didn’t make the right choice by turfing him out in May.
Could see this years ago, he is so fake. Question is, how can a useless prick like that get to the top job and stay there for as long as he did.

I think I know the answer, and that’s why Rudd is pushing so hard for the Royal Commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Rick wrote: August 31, 2022, 12:10 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Could see this years ago, he is so fake. Question is, how can a useless prick like that get to the top job and stay there for as long as he did.

I think I know the answer, and that’s why Rudd is pushing so hard for the Royal Commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison was apparently very charismatic 1-1 and in small groups when with the Liberal party faithful. Those that met him, tended to like him personally. Turnbull was the opposite, not well liked and struggled to converse with the little people. That is, unless people engaged him about his grand scheme ideas or his grandkids. Note this is the opinion of a Liberal party volunteer that I worked with in a different capacity. I don't think I am going out on a crazy limb to suggest Rudd would have been similar.

To stay in that PM role, you need people skills (unless you are Paul Keating perhaps, but I think it was a minor miracle he stayed around so long as PM. And I think we were lucky he was a treasurer under Hawke for a long time, we got a lot out of him while he was in that role).

Surely amongst the whole population we can find someone that has people skills AND has the capacity for big ideas and legacy
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Interesting. I was listening to a Freakanomics podcast yesterday. It was talking about the Peter Principle, were people are promoted to their level of incompetance. For example, you are a good sales person and are promoted to Sales Manager, which is a different skills set, and you are not good at.

They briefly touched on public office, and that to win public office you need to be charismatic, but charisma doesn't make you a good president/PM etc.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

It is interesting. Perhaps charisma can make you a good PM/Pres if you know that is your role and surround yourself with very smart people. E.g., Hawke had Keating and Howard had Costello. Both of those no. 2s had very sharp minds, prob the best political minds i've seen really.

I'd certainly rather have the sharpest moderate minds in control, rather than a particular party. The really sharp moderates (from either side) are the ones that are usually capable of developing the sort of lasting policy I would consider a legacy. The best even get some stuff through that might seem against their party platform.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Thoughts on where Trump will be in 3 years time? In a gaol cell? In the oval office? 6 foot under.

The congressional hearings have been damming. The DOJ are clearly going deep in building a case against him over the classified documents.

Will it matter? Is that country so broken that he is untouchable?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Thoughts on where Trump will be in 3 years time? In a gaol cell? In the oval office? 6 foot under.

The congressional hearings have been damming. The DOJ are clearly going deep in building a case against him over the classified documents.

He’s either going to be in jail or he’s going to be President of the United States. And I honestly keep flipping on which one.

It really does look like they’re going to nail him to the wall though, thank ****.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Thoughts on where Trump will be in 3 years time? In a gaol cell? In the oval office? 6 foot under.

He’s either going to be in jail or he’s going to be President of the United States. And I honestly keep flipping on which one.

It really does look like they’re going to nail him to the wall though, thank ****.
But which judge is going to convict him?

And if they do, what will be the response of his heavily armed red neck supporters?