The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by The Nickman »

Ah well, I guess we’ll wait and see. At the end of the day the Australian people will choose the government they want and I certainly won’t be kicking stones either way. If it’s time for change, it’s time for change... that’s good. If it’s not time for change, then it’s not meant to be. Also good. Let the people decide.

I’m sure you can say the same thing, old friend?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Sterlk wrote: May 18, 2022, 6:29 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2022, 2:07 pm Just voted for a new Canberra Stadium and against the government responsible for some of the worst failures of public policy I’ve ever seen.
Who's promising a new Canberra Stadium?
UAP
Good grief GE. I know Scomo has you foaming at the mouth, but the UAP? That's too far GE. Far too far.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2022, 2:07 pm Just voted for a new Canberra Stadium and against the government responsible for some of the worst failures of public policy I’ve ever seen.
UAP
Good grief GE. I know Scomo has you foaming at the mouth, but the UAP? That's too far GE. Far too far.

To be fair, old Ferg has always struck me as a bit of a Clive Palmer fan
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 18, 2022, 9:37 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
UAP

To be fair, old Ferg has always struck me as a bit of a Clive Palmer fan
You'd be disappointed that he's outed himself though, surely?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I most certainly did not or would not vote for the UAP.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The only person promising a new Canberra stadium was Raidersfan a long forgotten poster who was convinced Andrew Barr was going to deliver it half a decade ago.

Cue music. Was Raidersfan Pauline Hanson.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

The Nickman wrote: May 18, 2022, 9:31 pm Ah well, I guess we’ll wait and see. At the end of the day the Australian people will choose the government they want and I certainly won’t be kicking stones either way. If it’s time for change, it’s time for change... that’s good. If it’s not time for change, then it’s not meant to be. Also good. Let the people decide.

I'll certainly back in the result, lest we become some kind of rabble like the US, though not sure I trust the wisdom of the crowds in the same way.

Disinformation rages. Trump 2016. Marcos Jr in the Philippines just now. You gotta give the people what they want if you hope to avoid turning into Russia or China, but geez, people can be tricked into voting for some questionable things.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I most certainly did not or would not vote for the UAP.
It's OK. You're amongst friends here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 18, 2022, 10:09 pm

No shame for the good doctor to go over to Clive - if it's anything like up here down on the Gold Coast, he's driving past about 300 bright yellow billboards each day on the way to work. It gets to you.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: May 18, 2022, 9:31 pm Ah well, I guess we’ll wait and see. At the end of the day the Australian people will choose the government they want and I certainly won’t be kicking stones either way. If it’s time for change, it’s time for change... that’s good. If it’s not time for change, then it’s not meant to be. Also good. Let the people decide.

Remove the stones of disinterest and attach the stones of triumph!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Look GE, there’s no shame in admitting you voted for the Shooters, Fishers, Farmers and Raiders party.

BTW based on a previous error of judgment, I now know the Greens party aren’t actually the Greenmachines party. Also surprisingly, Adam Bandt is not actually a relation to David Grant despite having a surname that rhymes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wait, wait, hold up BJ... the Greens Party is NOT a Raiders supporters’ party?

Oh no, I’ve made a terrible mistake
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote:Look GE, there’s no shame in admitting you voted for the Shooters, Fishers, Farmers and Raiders party.

BTW based on a previous error of judgment, I now know the Greens party aren’t actually the Greenmachines party. Also surprisingly, Adam Bandt is not actually a relation to David Grant despite having a surname that rhymes.
I thought Adam Bandt was the lead singer of Adam and the Ants?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Next thing he'll try and tell us he doesn't own a heap of cats.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I thought this was a clean hit at first but having seen the still images I reckon he gets 18 weeks. Contact with the head, off the ball, wrong sport.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:I thought this was a clean hit at first but having seen the still images I reckon he gets 18 weeks. Contact with the head, off the ball, wrong sport.

Kid took a dive

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: May 19, 2022, 12:20 pm I thought this was a clean hit at first but having seen the still images I reckon he gets 18 weeks. Contact with the head, off the ball, wrong sport.

Scomos a clean skin, just a $1500 fine.

The young bloke failed a HIA and will automatically sit out a week.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Okay we get it Scotty, you're a Bulldozer.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fitzy saw the footage.

ScoMo off the bench this weekend.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:

No shame for the good doctor to go over to Clive - if it's anything like up here down on the Gold Coast, he's driving past about 300 bright yellow billboards each day on the way to work. It gets to you.
Yes the piss yellow signs are everywhere. As tempting as it was, I've trained myself not to be startled by shiny things over the years

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

This has been my favourite so far:

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by The Nickman »

I don’t think I’ve ever felt more positive about an election in my adult life

The way I see it, it’s win/win... either Labor wins as they’re predicting, which means the country has spoken and overwhelmingly wants change, or they keep the Libs in, which means we’re generally satisfied with the job they’re doing and we get four more years of ScoMo tackling kids, welding without a mask and shaking people’s hands who don’t want him to

Obviously I prefer the latter, but the former won’t spoil my day
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Don't make the same mistake I did.
Check this website before voting to make sure your local polling booth has a democracy sausage available.

https://democracysausage.org

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote:Don't make the same mistake I did.
Check this website before voting to make sure your local polling booth has a democracy sausage available.

Not all hero’s wear capes. I will buy you a beer later today Sid for your service to the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Legalise marijuana party got mine.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Question wrote:Legalise marijuana party got mine.

Well unless they end up getting up in your electorate you still would’ve ended up having to choose between Albo and ScoMo, Q

And you strike me as more of a ScoMo type guy
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Out of those flips ATM I'd have to go Albo, I'm a swinger mate, keep the bastards honest.

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Even after ScoMo completely smashed that kid?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

nice hit.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Sid wrote:Don't make the same mistake I did.

Yeah I failed. The polling booth I went to had no Democracy Sausages.

Felt cheated.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Our local had some snags
Was good to get out early grab a snag, get some treats from the school cake stall and cackle in the face of the greens how to vote guy when he asked if id like a paper.

Where is everyone going for their coverage tonight? Im not sure yet which station ill go through. Channel 10 have a pretty solid line up, and my guy Pppppppyne is over on C7. If things turn nicely for Morrison, i might flick over to Nine to catch Bill Shorten's PTSD
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

If pynes on 7 I'm in, love that guy.

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sure is awfully quiet in here considering the occasion...

So the Libs blew out to 3.90 early today and sat at 3.80 for most of the day... but in the last two hours they’ve just started dropping like a stone and they’re back to 2.85 already
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LNP into 2.40 now
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.