The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Botman »

Doing some reading now as i pretend to pay attention in another pointless zoom meeting
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... als-leader

Based on that and some other articles, this seems like Littleproud as Nats leader is a good thing for Australian politics. He'll hopefully bring that party towards the sensible centre he speaks about.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2022, 11:11 am Doing some reading now as i pretend to pay attention in another pointless zoom meeting
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... als-leader

Based on that and some other articles, this seems like Littleproud as Nats leader is a good thing for Australian politics. He'll hopefully bring that party towards the sensible centre he speaks about.
The Nats have dragged the coalition further and further to the right on some issues. I think this will at least alleviate that to some extent (though I also suspect Dutton won't need the encouragement).

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They've reached a very slim majority.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

That really is a dream result for the ALP.

77 seats, no need to hunt around the crossbench for a speaker.

The Liberals eviscerated throughout the cities.

And a massive progressive crossbench to bolster the mandate on climate change and integrity.
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Albo has named a strong front bench.

No major surprises.

Chalmers will be a good Treasurer, and is positioned perfectly now to be Labor's 'next' PM. The Libs will work him hard in the House.

Wong will be an effective Foreign Minister (though how a half Chinese lesbian plays out in the Gulf, for example, will be fairly amusing to watch). Dont really like having the Foreign Minister in the Senate, but she follows in the footsteps there of the great Gareth Evans.

Plibersek a huge demotion to what is effectively half the environment portfolio (split with Bowen, who got the sexy half). You'd have to guess this is the beginning of the end for her.

Shorten will be simmering away in NDIS...big enough to keep him busy, too small to give him a platform to roll the PM.

Marles will be the foppiest Defence Minister in memory. Quite a change from Dutton.

Giles will be eaten alive in Immigration. Seems an odd choice. He will have a massive challenge to get the Department functioning again after COVID (currently a basket case)

Clare will be good in Education. Will be feeling Plibersek's hot breath on the back of his neck.

Really though, this is as good an incoming Cabinet that Labor has put up in a generation.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What's the take on Plibersek?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 31, 2022, 5:50 pm That really is a dream result for the ALP.

And a massive progressive crossbench to bolster the mandate on climate change and integrity.
Yeah it's finished up beautifully for them
Should give them every opportunity to succeed and push for a second term on the back of strong results.

All they've got to do now is deliver. Feel pretty optimistic about the next 3 years
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:That really is a dream result for the ALP.

And a friendly cross bench in the senate.

If anything, they might be pushed harder than they want on climate change and upset some of the punters who tentatively voted for them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 31, 2022, 7:39 pm What's the take on Plibersek?
The bleating about her comments is a massive eye roll for me, that said the outgoing ScoMo gov has a well earned reputation of being nasty bullies and the new government is trying to be something different... It was just such a dumb thing to do really.

As TR outlined, she's taken a huge demotion. Not sure if that has a lot to do with her comments or more that Albo doesnt want to give her any room to gain momentum if he starts losing popularity.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2022, 7:40 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 31, 2022, 5:50 pm That really is a dream result for the ALP.

Yeah it's finished up beautifully for them
Should give them every opportunity to succeed and push for a second term on the back of strong results.
Has it?

A razor thin majority from an election where a huge protest vote against the sitting PM went to almost anyone except them?

I think Labor will be quietly crapping itself.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 31, 2022, 7:39 pm What's the take on Plibersek?
It's odd. She's factionally aligned with Albo and is known as a great campaigner - but was almost absent from the whole shebang this time around. Her only media since was her making an idiot of herself with 'Voldemort' comments about Dutton, which Albo came out and criticised her for.

They're in neighbouring seats and have been rubbing up against each other since her student days. It might honestly be personal.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's a LOT of seats to win back. They've got the votes to get the things done they've been voted in to do, and they dont need to do deals to do it.
I think as long as they're competent and deliver on that, they'll be able to get some of that protest vote going their way next time.

where i agree is if they cant deliver and/or are incompetent... it'll come crashing down around them hard and fast.
3 years is a long time and many things can happen, but my feeling is they're well positioned for a 2 term government
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2022, 7:57 pm It's a LOT of seats to win back. They've got the votes to get the things done they've been voted in to do, and they dont need to do deals to do it.
I think as long as they're competent and deliver on that, they'll be able to get some of that protest vote going their way next time.

where i agree is if they cant deliver and/or are incompetent... it'll come crashing down around them hard and fast.
3 years is a long time and many things can happen, but my feeling is they're well positioned for a 2 term government
Oh, Labor's in a great position - but make no mistake, they are only a couple of scandals away from relying on the cross benchers, and it's a rare government that doesn't lose one or two along the way.

Don't confuse a Lib loss with a Labor win. The Libs lost a lot of seats, but Labor didn't gain many.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

They gained a direct 10 seats from the Liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Rick wrote: May 31, 2022, 11:20 pm They gained a direct 10 seats from the Liberals.

Oh, you'd be much happier to be Labor than Liberal here, no doubt it. But ten seats is not a huge number by any means, and keep in mind they bled seats off on the left to the Greens.

The rise of Holmes a Court's 'independents' will frighten Labor as much as it will the Libs, too. Remember that his funding of the 'teals' was a huge dummy spit based on a personal falling out with Frydenburg, to who he used to pump money (serious parallels to Clive Palmer with the QLD LNP). This kind of unpredictability will have Labor looking at it's own inner city seats with a mounting sense of panic, I'd suggest.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The teals will achieve nothing over the next 3-6 years and those seats will return to a major party.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Rick wrote: June 1, 2022, 2:50 pm The teals will achieve nothing over the next 3-6 years and those seats will return to a major party.

History suggests the exact opposite will be true.

Once independents get elected they are very hard to dislodge.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

History is not really a good representation for what happened here though.

Kerryn Phelps didn’t last long after they showed their protest the first time and I think that felt more similar. Although they have gone and done it again!

I think in the case of Teals it will depend on how this term plays out as to whether they get embedded like independents often do, or cast aside having served their purpose as a message.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Jan 6 congressional hearings started about 20 mins ago if anyone is interested. Sadly, most Americans don’t care.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

New government - and the lights are about to go off.

If NSW / QLD do run out of electricity to households tonight, I am not sure people will be as supportive to a faster paced movement away from coal, nor do i think is it a great start for this government.

Lets hope the government does what it can to keep the lights on...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:New government - and the lights are about to go off.

If NSW / QLD do run out of electricity to households tonight, I am not sure people will be as supportive to a faster paced movement away from coal, nor do i think is it a great start for this government.

Yes the ALP has completed screwed up the Energy sector in the past 3 weeks.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:

This is exactly the kind of situation experts predicted would happen if there wasn’t a market driven energy transition when Tony Abbott scrapped the Carbon Tax.

I certainly don’t think Labor had the energy solution sorted when last in government (but the Libs kicked the can down the road and didn’t provide enough long term assurances to encourage more renewables to be in the development pipeline).

Pity both major parties and the Greens have been using energy as a political strategy to win votes, instead of a bipartisan long term and steady transition off coal and gas.

Some of the coal and gas companies are currently holding the energy market to ransom for the benefit of their shareholders.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:25 pm

It’s not the governments job to keep the lights on in the first few weeks.

How long should people wait before expecting the government to govern.

For one I hope they get it sorted.

But you don’t need to be a partisan zombie it’s not like this is a labor party forum..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: June 14, 2022, 2:58 pm
gergreg wrote:

This is exactly the kind of situation experts predicted would happen if there wasn’t a market driven energy transition when Tony Abbott scrapped the Carbon Tax.

I certainly don’t think Labor had the energy solution sorted when last in government (but the Libs kicked the can down the road and didn’t provide enough long term assurances to encourage more renewables to be in the development pipeline).

Pity both major parties and the Greens have been using energy as a political strategy to win votes, instead of a bipartisan long term and steady transition off coal and gas.

Some of the coal and gas companies are currently holding the energy market to ransom for the benefit of their shareholders.
Precisely.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: June 14, 2022, 3:19 pm

But you don’t need to be a partisan zombie it’s not like this is a labor party forum..
Labor party forum? More like bag the liberals forum.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:

I thought you were joking? Hang on ... you're not being serious here, are you?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The energy crisis is a real wicked problem.

Let us try to be even handed here: if the Libs had increased efforts in to prolong the life/capacity of some of these old and creaking coal fired plants, can you imagine the howls of protest from some progressives and greenies quarters?

And let’s continue to be fair: your honeymoon doesn’t last forever as a government and Labor are obviously on the clock.

But really. Seriously. After getting the caveats out of the way, how can anyone with a straight face not look at the crisis and see a decade of LNP energy policy mismanagement. They failed to land literally 2 dozen energy policies which are designed specifically to safeguard energy security.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 5:41 pm
papabear wrote:

FTR people who are as partisan as you push me and others like me in the other direction whichever way the tilt is.

The coalition got voted on their performance.

The labor party now have the opportunity to govern for however long they can show the electorate that they can do it well.

At one of the first tests for it - you bring out the old blame it on the old party tripe, obviously the previous party left labor / the country they are in (all the good and bad) the question isn’t how they performed - badly they got voted out.

It is what will labor do…

Good news is , no black outs for me where I am.. :)
Last edited by papabear on June 14, 2022, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote: Pity both major parties and the Greens have been using energy as a political strategy to win votes, instead of a bipartisan long term and steady transition off coal and gas.
What should Labor and the Greens have done towards bipartisan (tripartisan?) agreement with a ruling party that didn’t believe a transition was necessary and torpedoed their own energy plans before they got to parliament?

There are some hot takes here right now.
Last edited by gangrenous on June 14, 2022, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You know who else should get some shame here?

Ukraine. Couldn’t even negotiate a bipartisan transition to stay absolutely the same with Russia and now there’s a humanitarian crisis.

What about Brett Kimmorley? Tigers thumped on the weekend under his stewardship.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You don’t build new power generation sources quickly. The previous government has left the country a decade behind where it should be in terms of the investments and transition needed. This sort of thing takes years to fix up. That’s how serious this is.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 5:41 pm
papabear wrote:

FTR people who are as partisan as you push me and others like me in the other direction whichever way the tilt is.

The coalition got voted on their performance.

The labor party now have the opportunity to govern for however long they can show the electorate that they can do it well.

At one of the first tests for it - you bring out the old blame it on the old party tripe, obviously the previous party left labor / the country they are in (all the good and bad) the question isn’t how they performed - badly they got voted out.

It is what will labor do…

Good news is , no black outs for me where I am.. :)
Oh **** off dude. You're just as partisan as me. Stop kidding yourself.

When the Libs were knee deep in sports rorts, carpark rorts/pork barrelling, sexual allegations, ministers engaging in sexual activity with staffers and then having the **** nerve to vote against same sex marriage because of the sanctity of marriage... where were you to raise these issues? Nowhere ... Nowhere to be seen. I raised many of these issues in this thread and not a **** peep out of anybody.

But you parrot the libs Bull line that they are better economic managers ... so last week when it was announced that we would be forking out just under a billion dollars in compensation to the French government over the bungled submarine deal you were here complaining about it ... right ... right? No of course you weren't because you are as much a liberal stooge as I am a labor stooge. Own your **** man.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Zed out, Pocock in - officially.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I don’t think what labor did in opposition really should be held against them that much- I mean The opposition under tony torpedoed anything and everything.

The opposition is going to be doing whatever is politically opportunistic to knock the government. The government when they are in power will ultimately get judged on how well they wield it…
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:44 pm You know who else should get some shame here?

Ukraine. Couldn’t even negotiate a bipartisan transition to stay absolutely the same with Russia and now there’s a humanitarian crisis.

What about Brett Kimmorley? Tigers thumped on the weekend under his stewardship.
I am sorry are you bagging Ukraine?