Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Gmachine121
Gerry De La Cruz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Gmachine121 »

Matt wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:07 pm Here are some names off contract in the next couple of yrs.... yes, there are some hit and hopes:

FB

WING
Taylan May

CTR
Herbie
Isaiah Tass
Will Kei

HALF
Jock Madden

LOCK

EDGE
Aitken
Matterson
Jack Bird
Angus Crichton

PROP
J'maine Hopgood
Suluka-Fifita

HOOKER
Walters*
Trev needs to be re-signed
Fainu#
Rein (sigh)

FB
Drinkwater (half too)

WING
Cobbo
Muliatlo
Katoa
Marzhew
Dom Young

CTR
Nui
Tago
S Crichton

HALF
Clifford
Ben Hunt (or hooker)
Hastings

LOCK
Mann

EDGE
Patolo
Dave Fifita 🤣
Bullemore
Loiero
Egan Butcher

PROP
Jordan Grant
Aaron Pene
Leo Thompson (how ironic)
Fletcher Baker

HOOKER
Robson
Out of that list

Drinkwater , marzhew and matterson would improve our side by miles
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm leaning more towards Matterson as well. Got a fend, offload. Can create and run a line. The only issue would be price. Given how we are going we'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more than previous.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

zim wrote:I'm leaning more towards Matterson as well. Got a fend, offload. Can create and run a line. The only issue would be price. Given how we are going we'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more than previous.
I'd rather have Angus Crichton and David Fifita seeing as salaries aren't transparent.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: May 5, 2022, 3:41 pm I'm leaning more towards Matterson as well. Got a fend, offload. Can create and run a line. The only issue would be price. Given how we are going we'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more than previous.
Always seems to be injured these days. Also question his character after what he pulled with Tigers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crichton and Matterson are on the downhill slide of their careers and Fifita ... potential galore but we'd waste him on the edge in much the same way the Titans are. I'd go for Schuster or another young guy coming through. We need players that can make stuff happen for those around them instead of someone who shows some individual brilliance once every 10 games. We have a lot of old forwards which makes it even more baffling why we're not developing some younger ones - unless you consider Rushtons 5 minutes a game and then dropping him, as development?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matterson to Dolphins

Briton Nikora not going to parra

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2022, 4:42 pm
zim wrote: May 5, 2022, 3:41 pm I'm leaning more towards Matterson as well. Got a fend, offload. Can create and run a line. The only issue would be price. Given how we are going we'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more than previous.
Always seems to be injured these days. Also question his character after what he pulled with Tigers.
He had a rough concussion period there but he's played 6/8 rounds this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: May 5, 2022, 5:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2022, 4:42 pm
He had a rough concussion period there but he's played 6/8 rounds this year.
Yeah, he's already missed 25% of games even at this early stage. How it pans out rest of the season will be telling.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

:lol: We've had guys go missing for 75% of games this year. It'd be a big improvement to switch that around.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I liked what I saw of Ryan Matterson v Penrith - can play through the middle or edge, nice footwork and makes his tackles
I was wrong about Dylan Brown last year -he's an extremely good player.
It's a shame Isaiah Papali'i is going to Wests as he would have been an upgrade on both CHN, Young and Whitehead
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: May 5, 2022, 5:00 pm Crichton and Matterson are on the downhill slide of their careers and Fifita ... potential galore but we'd waste him on the edge in much the same way the Titans are. I'd go for Schuster or another young guy coming through. We need players that can make stuff happen for those around them instead of someone who shows some individual brilliance once every 10 games. We have a lot of old forwards which makes it even more baffling why we're not developing some younger ones - unless you consider Rushtons 5 minutes a game and then dropping him, as development?
Crichton, who will play SOO, and Matterson, he just killed Penrith, aren't trending down.
Schuster wants to play 6. So unless u move Jack he ain't coming here
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: May 7, 2022, 11:25 am
gergreg wrote: May 5, 2022, 5:00 pm Crichton and Matterson are on the downhill slide of their careers and Fifita ... potential galore but we'd waste him on the edge in much the same way the Titans are. I'd go for Schuster or another young guy coming through. We need players that can make stuff happen for those around them instead of someone who shows some individual brilliance once every 10 games. We have a lot of old forwards which makes it even more baffling why we're not developing some younger ones - unless you consider Rushtons 5 minutes a game and then dropping him, as development?
Crichton, who will play SOO, and Matterson, he just killed Penrith, aren't trending down.
Schuster wants to play 6. So unless u move Jack he ain't coming here
Yeah, Crichton has only just turned 26. Plenty of good footy ahead of him. He's an excellent player and I'd definitely take him but can't see us getting him unless we pay significant overs.

Matterson is a good player but he's always been paid well above his output and he's not going to shift the needle much here.

Schuster is the right type of guy to sign but, yep, would need to move Jack. And there's absolutely no chance Manly will let him go.

We could be in a weird position of having money to spend but no one to spend it on.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Surely people don't think we're too good for Ryan Matterson... "moving the needle" puts the bar too high, sometimes you just need an upgrade, which is what he is
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think a genuine edge forward would move the needle
Especially if you made solid upgrade at halfback (be that Fog or someone else)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Matterson is after pretty big money based on media reports.
RaiderDavo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by RaiderDavo »

Long time reader, first time writing anything. I heard on Triple m that Burton has a clause on his contract that allows him to test the market from 1st November. We absolutely should make a play at him, no matter how much that costs.
Move Wighton to lock with Fogarty and Burton in the halves, that’s the sort of player’s we need, but I doubt our club would undo the purse strings!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2022, 4:48 pm I think Matterson is after pretty big money based on media reports.
Zero Tackle has him on $470K, which isn't quite as much as I thought.
Canberra Milk wrote: May 7, 2022, 3:53 pm Surely people don't think we're too good for Ryan Matterson... "moving the needle" puts the bar too high, sometimes you just need an upgrade, which is what he is
I agree with your upgrade v move-the-needle observation, I was just questioning his upgrade value versus his price. But, as mentioned above, I thought he was on more than he appears to be.

He'll be 28 this year, so I expect he'll gunning for one last big pay cheque. I'd hate to use our alleged war chest on guy, who while good, has never dominated for extended periods and has had some health concerns.

Having said that, the market is pretty thin on 'needle movers', so not sure what else to do.

How much would you pay for him?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RaiderDavo wrote: May 7, 2022, 7:42 pm Long time reader, first time writing anything. I heard on Triple m that Burton has a clause on his contract that allows him to test the market from 1st November. We absolutely should make a play at him, no matter how much that costs.
Move Wighton to lock with Fogarty and Burton in the halves, that’s the sort of player’s we need, but I doubt our club would undo the purse strings!!!

If we could poach him, sure.
But you'd think he would want a good team, not another struggler.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
RaiderDavo wrote: May 7, 2022, 7:42 pm Long time reader, first time writing anything. I heard on Triple m that Burton has a clause on his contract that allows him to test the market from 1st November. We absolutely should make a play at him, no matter how much that costs.

He's probably watching Munster, there's a spot a lot of halves would be keen to fill whichever way Munster goes.

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: May 7, 2022, 10:12 pm
Matt wrote:

He's probably watching Munster, there's a spot a lot of halves would be keen to fill whichever way Munster goes.

Would u go to Phins?
I think that would be a gamble.
But good coach, and experienced pack. Could be worse places.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Angus Crichton would be a very good pick up.
Only 26 years old, Great on an edge and very good in the middle if needed. He’s a winner and a competitor.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Dusty wrote:Angus Crichton would be a very good pick up.
Only 26 years old, Great on an edge and very good in the middle if needed. He’s a winner and a competitor.

A side like this in 2023 would be handy:
1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Trevelyn
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Crichton
13. Mooney

14. Starling
15. CHN
16. Horsburgh
17. An aggressive young prop

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dusty wrote: May 8, 2022, 9:54 am Angus Crichton would be a very good pick up.

He'd be my pick of 2nd rowers available. I think he has plenty of decent footy to come and agree with your assessment of his competitive qualities. We want to be bringing people in with high standards instead of only and always discards like Scott and Elliot.

He's a good defender, can break a tackle/line and he's a genuine edge, he makes real good yards for an edge and he can hold discipline (big edge on CHN/Young there)- he's got the mental toughness to do that.

I hope Sticky isn't going to sit on his hands through some sort of misguided loyalty to Whitehead, Elliot and CHN, neither of who have quite aimed up this year.

If we're not going for a big halfback (my other preference) and want to see how Fog goes then we absolutely should be going in with $750k/800k for Crichton, 3 years. Either we get him or it forces Rorters to register a fair sized deal. 2nd row would be one I'm looking to upgrade. If it allows Young to then be a lock/mobile prop/bench of those who is only edge in emergency cover then we might improve two positions there by getting best use out of Young.

Pretty sure Ricky would rather extend Elliot though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bulldogs off-season recruit Matt Burton will reportedly test the open market after November 1, looking for a significant upgrade on his current salary: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 189d1987c3

An interesting one, and one I’m sure many on the GH will want us to peruse

Matt Burton said to test the market this off season… I’m still not seeing anything from him to suggest he’s not an out and out centre who happens to have a monster boot on him

Still he’s a big name and a “half”
Those advocating to move Wighton to lock/second row… acquiring a Burton style player makes that’s feasible

As tantalising as his talent is, I think I’d rather not peruse Burton. Just don’t think his game in the halves will match his price tag
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2022, 12:40 pm Bulldogs off-season recruit Matt Burton will reportedly test the open market after November 1, looking for a significant upgrade on his current salary: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 189d1987c3

An interesting one, and one I’m sure many on the GH will want us to peruse

Matt Burton said to test the market this off season… I’m still not seeing anything from him to suggest he’s not an out and out centre who happens to have a monster boot on him

Still he’s a big name and a “half”
Those advocating to move Wighton to lock/second row… acquiring a Burton style player makes that’s feasible

As tantalising as his talent is, I think I’d rather not peruse Burton. Just don’t think his game in the halves will match his price tag
Yeah, I agree with Botman. We shouldn't peruse Matt Burton, as tantalising as he may be. However, I do think we should consider pursuing him. Either way, we'll need his consent first.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s interesting because I think Burton and Wighton are cut from a similar cloth. Strong defenders, strong carry, run hard lines, can beat defenders with a step and straighten, big boot…..

But not the deft passing game or organisational ability we need in a spine player.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

BJ wrote: May 8, 2022, 5:37 pm It’s interesting because I think Burton and Wighton are cut from a similar cloth. Strong defenders, strong carry, run hard lines, can beat defenders with a step and straighten, big boot…..

But not the deft passing game or organisational ability we need in a spine player.
Burton a much better kicker of the ball than Wighton, and will be as good a runner.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Connor Tracey is a handy player. Signed until 2024 but playing as a back up, so we might have some chance of poaching him if we offered him a gig in the spine. Speedy and has skills (former Aus schoolboys halfback, possible fullback in current game).

Angus Chrichton an interesting one because of his early links to country football (Young). Just cross your fingers he wants to return to the country toward the back end of his career
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Drinkwater and Connor Tracey, plus Crichton/Matterson... that would be great recruiting
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 8, 2022, 6:19 pm Drinkwater and Connor Tracey, plus Crichton/Matterson... that would be great recruiting
Exactly right, those players improve our team by a mile and that's what we should be going all out for, at least drinkwater and one of those 2nd rowers
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 7, 2022, 9:38 pm
BJ wrote: May 7, 2022, 4:48 pm I think Matterson is after pretty big money based on media reports.
Canberra Milk wrote: May 7, 2022, 3:53 pm Surely people don't think we're too good for Ryan Matterson... "moving the needle" puts the bar too high, sometimes you just need an upgrade, which is what he is
I agree with your upgrade v move-the-needle observation, I was just questioning his upgrade value versus his price. But, as mentioned above, I thought he was on more than he appears to be.

He'll be 28 this year, so I expect he'll gunning for one last big pay cheque. I'd hate to use our alleged war chest on guy, who while good, has never dominated for extended periods and has had some health concerns.

Having said that, the market is pretty thin on 'needle movers', so not sure what else to do.

I'd go fairly hard. $600k. He can offload too, would suit Savage

Then I'd go bananas for Drinkwater. Like $800k bananas. That solves two problems: edge quality, and skill shortage

There isn't much quality otherwise so may as well pay a bit of overs. And we probably have to anyway, to be any chance of picking them up... the "Canberra tax"
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: May 8, 2022, 9:57 am
Dusty wrote:Angus Crichton would be a very good pick up.

A side like this in 2023 would be handy:
1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Trevelyn
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Crichton
13. Mooney

14. Starling
15. CHN
16. Horsburgh
17. An aggressive young prop

Mooney has been playing edge, and looks lost, so I agree with moving him back to 13.
BUUUT...
Rushton is a better 13 than Mooney now. Mooney as a middle is now a bench prop.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We need to start chasing the big guns. Even if they say no. Put numbers in front of them that at least force them to make a decision.
Angus
Matterson
Burton
Etc etc
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 8, 2022, 7:19 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: May 7, 2022, 9:38 pm

I'd go fairly hard. $600k. He can offload too, would suit Savage

Then I'd go bananas for Drinkwater. Like $800k bananas. That solves two problems: edge quality, and skill shortage

There isn't much quality otherwise so may as well pay a bit of overs. And we probably have to anyway, to be any chance of picking them up... the "Canberra tax"
Yeah, I could get behind that.

I would still rather Crichton than Matterson but we'd be paying accordingly.

Hard to see what else is out there besides these guys and someone like CHT.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

But instead they want to extend A Elliott for two more year.