Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by chris83 »

Dusty wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:59 am We need our number 7 to be a player that can read the game and control much of the kicking and guidance of the team. He needs to be telling Jack what to do, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely agree. People on the Facebook pages seem to think it's all savages and horsburgh's fault, they don't really see that our halfback, who we bought to control the game and run the side, doesn't do it. His game management is 0 at the moment, jack needs a dominant half so he can just play his game, similar to stick and loz
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Dusty wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:59 am We need our number 7 to be a player that can read the game and control much of the kicking and guidance of the team. He needs to be telling Jack what to do, not the other way around.

Completely agree. People on the Facebook pages seem to think it's all savages and horsburgh's fault, they don't really see that our halfback, who we bought to control the game and run the side, doesn't do it. His game management is 0 at the moment, jack needs a dominant half so he can just play his game, similar to stick and loz
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I need a winning lotto ticket
Unfortunately for me, and us, neither of these things are easy to find.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player on signing speculation 2022

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'd go Jackson Hastings - can run, kick, tackle and organise. Not too expensive as well and seems mature now - recognised his previous failings and doesn't seem too cocky.

I haven't been impressed with Fog - it's early days but he looks slow on top of his other failings
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wouldnt go hastings... not because i dont think he'd be an upgrade, he would, but because he's not enough. Hastings with us doesnt change our fortunes a great deal imo.

I think we're at the point where we need to consider trying to identify some highly touted halfback and swinging for the fences, and see if we can get lucky. Stick will like it, we're owed a bit of luck apparently
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

My big concern with Fog now is what he thinks his role is in the team. I think to a man everyone on here thought he was a game manager that would offset Jack, it was the effectiveness of it that was argued.

But all preseason we heard from Fog ‘Ricky has had me working in my running game, playing what I see’, and that concerns me greatly as we have a squad of 30 that ‘try hard and play what they see’, and no one to put it all together.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I also love the narrative we have a bunch of cash from Hodgo to spend…

I have zero doubt half of that has already been spent upgrading players for 2023 and beyond. Savage, Cotric, Timoko, starling, Huddo, kids like Rushton and mooney, all will be getting a slice of that pie.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Coastalraider wrote: June 13, 2022, 7:27 am I also love the narrative we have a bunch of cash from Hodgo to spend…

I have zero doubt half of that has already been spent upgrading players for 2023 and beyond. Savage, Cotric, Timoko, starling, Huddo, kids like Rushton and mooney, all will be getting a slice of that pie.
We also lost Sia, Lui, Simonsson, Havilii, George Williams, James and Scott over the last year. Seems most of those players would’ve moved into those spots in the squad salary wise.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Crash Ball wrote:
Coastalraider wrote: June 13, 2022, 7:27 am I also love the narrative we have a bunch of cash from Hodgo to spend…

We also lost Sia, Lui, Simonsson, Havilii, George Williams, James and Scott over the last year. Seems most of those players would’ve moved into those spots in the squad salary wise.
Hodgo was told we didn't have cap space to keep him, that may be a fib but I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm hopeful we do have that to spend in 2023...

Cotric- Bulldogs paying freight 2022 and 2023. 2024 he becomes our problem, depending how the deal is structured. Shouldn't affect our ability to spend 2023 though as Rapa is retiring by then and we have budget players in 1,3, 4 and by then probably 5 too.
Starling- now a role playing hooker, no upgrade.
Young- contracted end 2024.
Timoko- signed end 2024.
Mooney- signed end 2024.

Rushton- maybe upgrade, Adam Elliot leaving, play swapsies with contract value since Elliot was relatively low- suits young squad member.

Savage might be the one needing an upgrade. But CNK comes off contract. If CNK is no longer 1st choice fb he takes a pay cut (to Savage) or we let him go.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: June 13, 2022, 9:02 am
Crash Ball wrote:

Hodgo was told we didn't have cap space to keep him, that may be a fib but I don't think so.

There's don't have room... to pay him what he used to be on here ($850/900k)

...to match Parra's offer.

...to pay a hooker that much with (at that time) Starling on the way up.

...because we might need to buy a halfback.

Different ways to interpret that.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:58 pm I wouldnt go hastings... not because i dont think he'd be an upgrade, he would, but because he's not enough. Hastings with us doesnt change our fortunes a great deal imo.

I think we're at the point where we need to consider trying to identify some highly touted halfback and swinging for the fences, and see if we can get lucky. Stick will like it, we're owed a bit of luck apparently
The most frustrating thing about this is we had exactly this in George Williams and it didn’t turn out.

Stuart cops a lot on here, some of it is warranted. But he’s brought in some really good players - which we hadnt been able to do for years - and for whatever reason it just hasn’t worked out as he’d have liked. From Hodgson’s injuries to Williams / Bateman’s homesickness.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Backended contracts will have a part to play. Starling was re-signed early this year to be our lead hooker for the future. It was around the same time Hodgo got busted. Don’t be in any way surprised if he isn’t on 4-500k min. The fact he is now a bit part player based in 2022 form plays no role in his contract signed in Feb until the end of 2024.

I REALLY hope we have cash to spend, but this is an annual game we play here at the greenhouse…. We loose $1mill of talent and wonder why we sign plodders on redemption stories. Don’t be in any way surprised when we don’t sign a star this year, we haven’t even been mentioned to any player other than CHT, Elliot and Hetherington.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CR on the money I reckon.

Or lack of it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2022, 9:18 am
bonehead wrote: June 13, 2022, 9:02 am
Crash Ball wrote:

There's don't have room... to pay him what he used to be on here ($850/900k)

...to match Parra's offer.

...to pay a hooker that much with (at that time) Starling on the way up.

...because we might need to buy a halfback.

Different ways to interpret that.
I'm sure we had cap space if he was willing to play for $300k.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Coastalraider wrote: June 13, 2022, 12:07 pm Backended contracts will have a part to play. Starling was re-signed early this year to be our lead hooker for the future. It was around the same time Hodgo got busted. Don’t be in any way surprised if he isn’t on 4-500k min. The fact he is now a bit part player based in 2022 form plays no role in his contract signed in Feb until the end of 2024.

I REALLY hope we have cash to spend, but this is an annual game we play here at the greenhouse…. We loose $1mill of talent and wonder why we sign plodders on redemption stories. Don’t be in any way surprised when we don’t sign a star this year, we haven’t even been mentioned to any player other than CHT, Elliot and Hetherington.
It has been nailed.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

President Clinton wrote:
Botman wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:58 pm I wouldnt go hastings... not because i dont think he'd be an upgrade, he would, but because he's not enough. Hastings with us doesnt change our fortunes a great deal imo.

The most frustrating thing about this is we had exactly this in George Williams and it didn’t turn out.

Stuart cops a lot on here, some of it is warranted. But he’s brought in some really good players - which we hadnt been able to do for years - and for whatever reason it just hasn’t worked out as he’d have liked. From Hodgson’s injuries to Williams / Bateman’s homesickness.
100% this

Bateman / Williams walk straight back into this side.

Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

Based on charnze last insta post, he could potentially be leaving to be closer to his kids?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Gorilla wrote: June 13, 2022, 10:00 pm Based on charnze last insta post, he could potentially be leaving to be closer to his kids?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
If we sign Connor it would probably make sense to let CNK go, we'd be pretty well covered

fullback: Connor/Savage
wings: Cotric, Rapana, Savage, Anderson, Valemei,
Centres: Timoko, HSS, Kris, Croker?, Morkos, Hopoate
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Rick wrote: June 13, 2022, 9:25 pm
President Clinton wrote:

100% this

Not Bateman now his shoulders are shot!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

sprintman wrote:
President Clinton wrote:

100% this

Still better than Whitehead Image

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Rick wrote: June 14, 2022, 5:25 pm
sprintman wrote:
President Clinton wrote:

100% this

Still better than Whitehead Image

Not at fishing…
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Nathan Brown done at Eels.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Raiders are surely cashed up for some cherries, Nathan Brown should be looked at, whats the go with Jake Connor?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nathan Brown had his moments but i dont know that im super interested. At the right price it might be worth a dart throw.
But i think we're doing OK in the middle forwards. What we desperately need is the modern day lock
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:23 pm Nathan Brown had his moments but i dont know that im super interested. At the right price it might be worth a dart throw.
But i think we're doing OK in the middle forwards. What we desperately need is the modern day lock
Isn't Rushton in that mould? I don't watch the lower grades but have heard comments that he's got that ball playing ability.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:37 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:23 pm Nathan Brown had his moments but i dont know that im super interested. At the right price it might be worth a dart throw.
Isn't Rushton in that mould? I don't watch the lower grades but have heard comments that he's got that ball playing ability.
I dont watch a ton of lower grades either but i've heard both Mooney and Ruston are players who could fill that role... so maybe we have them in house, certainly in EXTREMELY and RIDICULOUSLY limited minutes i've been impressed by both players... but until i see it for myself at NRL level it'll be a need in my mind
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Apparently Nathan didn’t recover from an injury well.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:41 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:37 pm
I dont watch a ton of lower grades either but i've heard both Mooney and Ruston are players who could fill that role... so maybe we have them in house, certainly in EXTREMELY and RIDICULOUSLY limited minutes i've been impressed by both players... but until i see it for myself at NRL level it'll be a need in my mind
Yep, I want to see more of Mooney, Rushton looked a little small for what he was trying to do, might need another 5-7 kg, but Mooney looked ready in his limited opportunity, I got the same feeling about watching Timoko and Smith-Shields when they were just starting to get some first grade experience as I did Mooney, he's ready, and the other prop in nsw cup, not guler, needs a shot, he's a maxi Joey Tapine by the looks of it
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brown looks cooked. Either he has been tanking for a while to get the release or there's health problems there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: June 16, 2022, 11:35 pm Brown looks cooked. Either he has been tanking for a while to get the release or there's health problems there.
His style (when good) relies a bustling, super aggressive, all energy all effort style. So if he's off the pace physically I'm not sure how he adapts to anything else.

At his best he was the kind of guy who leads line speed and inspires others, hit above his weight but small forward with a big motor.

There's the possibility we will be carrying a busted Elliot in our squad- I hope he refreshes or resets in the byes somehow. Not sure we need another physical risk but Ricky will be looking as he's a match for what Elliot brings.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Nathan Brown is just a poor man’s Anthony Watmough.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Nathan Brown is a rubbish player and a rubbish person. off.
Peter Doust
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Daniel Vidot

Post by Peter Doust »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 17, 2022, 9:45 am Nathan Brown is a rubbish player and a rubbish person. off.
I quite liked him. He’s a Dragons legend and a brilliant coach. He could have made magic if he stayed at the Warriors
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Should be 13. Wighton

But people get so hooked on 'oh but he won the dally M at six'

I personally think he would be like an Isiah Yeo or Cam Murray type of lock with some kicking ability
Perth Based Raiders Fan