Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

bonehead wrote: July 17, 2022, 11:34 am
greeneyed wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: July 16, 2022, 11:32 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote: July 16, 2022, 9:02 pm This Hosking guy playing for Brisbane should be playing more first grade. Does everything right (nearly, unlucky to have a try disallowed just now). Been stuck in QLD cup for years so would be cheap.
We should absolutely be on the phone to his manager
He just signed with the Broncos this year, though, didn’t he?
yes, knights junior

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Ah ok, so played a lot of NSW cup as well? Hard to believe Knights didn’t rate him, even as a back up. Not the fastest or strongest but seems very smart and skillful, almost like a young Elliot Whitehead….
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

You would want Tesi Nui or Herbie Farnworth.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote: July 16, 2022, 9:02 pm This Hosking guy playing for Brisbane should be playing more first grade. Does everything right (nearly, unlucky to have a try disallowed just now). Been stuck in QLD cup for years so would be cheap.
yes, knights junior

Ah ok, so played a lot of NSW cup as well? Hard to believe Knights didn’t rate him, even as a back up. Not the fastest or strongest but seems very smart and skillful, almost like a young Elliot Whitehead….
He was the player of the year in NSW cup last year as well. Very surprised that the knights let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: July 16, 2022, 8:57 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: July 15, 2022, 9:36 pm
bonehead wrote: July 15, 2022, 5:42 pm CNK was reported on $500k recently and Sutton would be on $400k plus being a top 15 player.
Whitehead has been very clear that his post footy days are in the Canberra region, I don't see him going to the uk

He might want to stay in the Canberra region but he might have a problem getting a decent contract in Australia. If he plods on for another whole season next year, how much do you think NRL clubs would be willing to offer on his next contract come November next year? Probably not much more than $200-250k and that's if anybody would even be willing to take him on at that point. UK might become an attractive option.
I may be missing something but I thought we extended Whitehead until end 2024? So we're on the hook for $600k or so until then?
(or did I miss a trick and it's clubs option for 2024?)

So even in 2024 we will be relying on Croker and Whitehead each giving away half a million dollars, just out of the goodness of their hearts, knowing they have a family to raise and will likely never get a look at a paycheque even close to that ever again. I don't think that's likely. More often than not, even club greats are dragged out kicking and screaming like Campo, Darius, Farah, Ricky etc etc.
Whitehead is with us until end 2024 but that means he's free to negotiate in November next year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: July 17, 2022, 6:30 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

yes, knights junior

He was the player of the year in NSW cup last year as well. Very surprised that the knights let him go.

To be clear, the Knights NSW Cup player of the year, but not the whole competition.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

deanoman wrote:You would want Tesi Nui or Herbie Farnworth.
They can't keep them all, unless as I suggested earlier the Thoroughbreds are back?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 74f8d66572

I've said it before, but surely, SURELY Raiders should make a play at Liam Martin. NSW Country boy, Canberra's 2 hours from his hometown. **** Whitehead off and put some decent cash into Martin.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Mr. Snrub wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:09 pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 74f8d66572

I've said it before, but surely, SURELY Raiders should make a play at Liam Martin. NSW Country boy, Canberra's 2 hours from his hometown. **** Whitehead off and put some decent cash into Martin.
If Martin played for the Tigers...he would be playing for the Magpies.

Exact type of player that scores massive dollars after winning a premiership elsewhere and looks average.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

President Clinton wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:15 pm
Mr. Snrub wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:09 pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 74f8d66572

Exact type of player that scores massive dollars after winning a premiership elsewhere and looks average.
That's a terrible take, sorry.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Mr. Snrub wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:54 pm
President Clinton wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:15 pm

That's a terrible take, sorry.
He wouldnt be playing for the Magpies, that was flippant of me. But I do think playing in the Panthers side makes him look better than he is. I wouldnt want us to pay top $ for him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm with snrub, Liam Martin is a gun edge

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Martin is a decent quality back rower. However you do get the feeling he'll end up being overpaid for what he will be able to contribute to a team. Very similar scenario to players coming out of the Storm system in the past. We dodged a bullet a few years back when we offered big $$ to Kevin Proctor. Not that he was a bad player. Just not worth $800k per year.

Martin would certainly be an upgrade on Whitehead by the time 2024 comes around. Would he offer that much more than Young and CHN consideirng he'd be earning that same as those two comined? Not convinced myself.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah put Hudson next to Cleary and Luai and co and he'll do much more than Martin. I wouldn't be against it but you just know we'd be paying massive overs
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We have enough good player coming through in these positions. We just don’t give them opportunities.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Would be a dire mistake overpaying a second rower from a gun team. We've seen this movie before.

Joe Galuvao
Adam Blair
Kevin Proctor
Joe Stimson
Tim Glasby

Etc etc

Martin is a decent player. But he's not someone you want to overpay. And being from Penrith you will definitely have to overpay.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Eli Katoa apparently has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs despite being contracted to the warriors for two more seasons. Telecrap article links us, the storm and the dolphins being in the hunt. When he is on Katoa is a force but tends to struggle for consistency. Id be happy to take a punt on him especially as we are losing Elliott next season.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Liam Martin is a plodder. No thank you .

Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

I think it would be easier to address CHN's shortcomings and spend nothing rather than spend big money on Martin. As far as Penrith players go I prefer the Leniu rumour.

Given the glut of players in the outside backs I think they should look at converting a couple of them to the forwards. Kris been an obvious option, but I reckon Valemi is another. HSS maybe as well depending on his return.

Then there are Webb and Esera who are still coming through.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

HSS is an outside back, pure and simple. Definitely not a forward.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Brew wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:54 pm Interesting the Titans have come out and said they are going to market to buy an experienced half.

Wonder if trying to lure Fogarty back is on their radar.

They bought Foran
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: July 21, 2022, 10:47 pm Eli Katoa apparently has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs despite being contracted to the warriors for two more seasons. Telecrap article links us, the storm and the dolphins being in the hunt. When he is on Katoa is a force but tends to struggle for consistency. Id be happy to take a punt on him especially as we are losing Elliott next season.
I'd dip my toe in these waters. Kid has ability
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
Bloody_Burnham wrote: July 21, 2022, 10:47 pm Eli Katoa apparently has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs despite being contracted to the warriors for two more seasons. Telecrap article links us, the storm and the dolphins being in the hunt. When he is on Katoa is a force but tends to struggle for consistency. Id be happy to take a punt on him especially as we are losing Elliott next season.
I'd dip my toe in these waters. Kid has ability
definitely

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Crash Ball wrote: July 22, 2022, 12:15 am I think it would be easier to address CHN's shortcomings and spend nothing rather than spend big money on Martin. As far as Penrith players go I prefer the Leniu rumour.

Given the glut of players in the outside backs I think they should look at converting a couple of them to the forwards. Kris been an obvious option, but I reckon Valemi is another. HSS maybe as well depending on his return.

HSS?!? hahahaha. That's having a laugh.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Matt wrote: July 22, 2022, 8:21 am
Crash Ball wrote: July 22, 2022, 12:15 am I think it would be easier to address CHN's shortcomings and spend nothing rather than spend big money on Martin. As far as Penrith players go I prefer the Leniu rumour.

"Based on his return".

He is coming off a knee reco and if he has lost a yard of pace or any agility it will impact him a lot, and there are established backs in front of him it would be a path back into first grade. I have watched a heap of his footy since the juniors and he has a skillset that would suit the edge. He might just be a bit undersized.

Anyway, it was just a left field thought and didn't deserve your pissant response, but I'm glad I could give you a laugh.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Wow I'm surprised about the Liam Martin negativity. Even of all the 2nd rowers listed that turned out to be average, I rate him.higher than all mentioned in their Prime!

Though different people want different things from 2nd rowers. But here he could have all the minutes he wants, and the guy has gears. His aggression n line speed would be Infectious n reminds me a bit of johnny batemen

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I can't believe what I'm reading about Liam Martin...hottest of hot takes...
He's a gun and I'd love to have him replace Whitehead (an actual plodder)...
But I agree, he will command huge dollars that should never be invested in an edge backrow.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The thing with second rowers is that even the very very good ones are almost entirely reliant on their halves for their impact in attack.
You can run a good line and create space but if your half has no idea what to do with that and cant read the game, you're not going to have the impact on the game like you did playing with an elite half.

If Liam Martin leaves, it will be for big dollars, probably a club with not very good halves looking to make a splash. And he'll not really improve that football team and people will point at him and laugh and say "i told you so, the panthers system made him look good" when the actual reality is if he landed with another team with an elite half, he'd be good there too. But for the same reasons he might get squeezed out of Penrith, players like him dont land with those clubs because those clubs dont have the cash to spend on edge forwards because they're paying an elite half top of the market money.

So i get both sides of this. I dont for one second think Liam Martin is a bad player. He's a very good one and certainly better than every single edge forward on our roster. But there is diminishing returns for players like that, and whilst i think he'd be good for us. With the ball playing we have in the football team, we'd never get proper value for money out of him
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by BJ »

That’s right Bot.

I’ve often said that I reckon a good half makes a second rower about 50% better, but a good second rower only makes a half about 20% better.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: July 22, 2022, 3:32 pm That’s right Bot.

I’ve often said that I reckon a good half makes a second rower about 50% better, but a good second rower only makes a half about 20% better.
Yeah that's probably about right i think
similar I've long been critical of clubs (usually clubs like the knights, tigers, bulldogs, titans) for spending big money on free agent edge forwards because to me the elite edge forward is finishing touches on a house and I'm not risking falling short on the foundation and structures because I've blown the budget on the interior decorating and paint.

If you luck into one, you obviously keep him if you can its not a case of just letting a good player walk for the sake of it, but you dont want to overpay them and leave yourself short on the opportunity to strike for a player that can really impact your team. And certainly IMO, you dont pay the tax that comes with Free Agency for edge forwards unless the team is close enough to winning a title that you think he's the final piece of the puzzle
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 22, 2022, 3:54 pm
BJ wrote: July 22, 2022, 3:32 pm That’s right Bot.

Yeah that's probably about right i think
similar I've long been critical of clubs (usually clubs like the knights, tigers, bulldogs, titans) for spending big money on free agent edge forwards because to me the elite edge forward is finishing touches on a house and I'm not risking falling short on the foundation and structures because I've blown the budget on the interior decorating and paint.

If you luck into one, you obviously keep him if you can its not a case of just letting a good player walk for the sake of it, but you dont want to overpay them and leave yourself short on the opportunity to strike for a player that can really impact your team. And certainly IMO, you dont pay the tax that comes with Free Agency for edge forwards unless the team is close enough to winning a title that you think he's the final piece of the puzzle
Comes back to value. How much would you be willing to outlay for Martin to bring him here in 2024? As good as he is he's not the kind of player that really shifts the needle for a team. More a dependable guy than a match winner. Very few edge forwards could fall into that latter category. It's the old "positional value" equation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Crash Ball wrote: July 22, 2022, 11:06 am
Matt wrote: July 22, 2022, 8:21 am

"Based on his return".

He is coming off a knee reco and if he has lost a yard of pace or any agility it will impact him a lot, and there are established backs in front of him it would be a path back into first grade. I have watched a heap of his footy since the juniors and he has a skillset that would suit the edge. He might just be a bit undersized.

Anyway, it was just a left field thought and didn't deserve your pissant response, but I'm glad I could give you a laugh.
Left field is generous. Not everyone is convertible of position. In HSS instance, I'm pretty confident it would require Xerri styled intervention to do so.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Liam Martin is a hard nut. That's his game in a nutshell. Isn't particularly fast or agile. Isn't particularly skilful. I'd argue he is a bit of a throwback to the Toni Carrols of the world.

Whomever said Huddo would be better than him if at Penrith is probably not wrong. I think that solo try shows us there is a bit more football in Huddo than Martin. That said, I don't think there is too much in it.

So....
Do you want 2 of those guys? The answer is NO!
Esp if u r paying overs for the 2nd one.

We need an iPapa, Kik, Olakau'ato, Difi type edge guy. Ezra might be that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 22, 2022, 5:26 pm Liam Martin is a hard nut. That's his game in a nutshell. Isn't particularly fast or agile. Isn't particularly skilful. I'd argue he is a bit of a throwback to the Toni Carrols of the world.

Whomever said Huddo would be better than him if at Penrith is probably not wrong. I think that solo try shows us there is a bit more football in Huddo than Martin. That said, I don't think there is too much in it.

So....

We need an iPapa, Kik, Olakau'ato, Difi type edge guy
. Ezra might be that.
CHN is in that category on ability. Doesn't fully deliver on it unfortunately.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'd definitely take Young over Martin, but I'm possibly biased as I love the **** out of Hudson. That aside, I still think Martin is the style of player that would be effective in almost any system.

He's a very solid defender and doesn't mind the tough hitup. I'd have Martin over the likes of Proctor, Blair and Glasby when they were off contract. I think he's the type of player that could add some toughness to our team, and improve our defence. His brother also played here, so there is a nice link.

In saying that, his skillset seems to be limited, so you definitely don't want to overpay. It's also true to say we've got some good young backrowers coming through, so there is a genuine question about how much value he would add.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 22, 2022, 6:16 pm
Matt wrote: July 22, 2022, 5:26 pm Liam Martin is a hard nut. That's his game in a nutshell. Isn't particularly fast or agile. Isn't particularly skilful. I'd argue he is a bit of a throwback to the Toni Carrols of the world.

So....

We need an iPapa, Kik, Olakau'ato, Difi type edge guy
. Ezra might be that.
CHN is in that category on ability. Doesn't fully deliver on it unfortunately.
I'd agree, and yet, he doesn't get opportunities either.
He adds attacking upside none of our other forwards do currently.