New Zealand Warriors 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

New Zealand Warriors 2022

Post by greeneyed »

Squad Game: Warriors 2022 roster changes and best 17

After departing the Warriors in acrimonious circumstances three years ago, Shaun Johnson is back and much of the club's hopes will ride on his influence and impact in the halves.

Possible best 17
1. Reece Walsh, 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 3. Rocco Berry, 4. Adam Pompey, 5. Marcelo Montoya, 6. Shaun Johnson, 7. Kodi Nikorima, 8. Matt Lodge, 9. Wayde Egan, 10. Addin Fonua-Blake, 11. Tohu Harris, 12. Euan Aitken, 13. Josh Curran, 14. Jazz Tevaga, 15. Bayley Sironen, 16. Ben Murdoch-Masila, 17. Bunty Afoa

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/10/squ ... d-best-17/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: New Zealand Warriors 2022

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors player Marcelo Montoya referred to NRL judiciary over ’unacceptable’ homophobic slur

New Zealand Warriors winger Marcelo Montoya has been referred directly to the NRL judiciary for targeting North Queensland Cowboys player Kyle Feldt with a homophobic slur and could face a lengthy suspension. The NRL’s match review committee deliberated for 44 hours before charging Montoya with contrary conduct.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6f98739824

Warriors club statement

Warriors CEO Cameron George and winger Marcelo Montoya have apologised for an on-field comment made in Friday night’s fifth-round NRL match against North Queensland in Redcliffe.

Montoya has today been charged with a contrary conduct offence for a comment he is alleged to have made following a tackle on Cowboys winger Kyle Feldt. The matter has been referred directly to the NRL judiciary.

“Both Marcelo and the club are extremely apologetic for the offence this has caused. It was unacceptable,” said George.

“Marcelo accepts responsibility and knows there’s no place for such behaviour both in the game and in society generally.”

George said the Warriors will make a special submission to the judiciary when it considers the charge and penalty this week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors set to part ways with Nathan Brown in ‘emergency meeting’ after bombshell admission

Warriors coach Nathan Brown has reportedly coached his last game after informing the club he cannot commit to living in New Zealand long-term.

Brown told the Warriors he is not willing to move to New Zealand permanently due to personal reasons. Brown will join club owner Mark Robinson and CEO Cameron George in an “emergency meeting” at 9am on Tuesday in Redcliffe — where the team is currently based.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 07c74e87ba
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Brown needs to realise he'd be an absolute gun recruitment manager

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Probably explains why the players aren't putting in for the coach when he's obviously not committed to the Club
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Nathan Brown sacked - fox sports

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors sack Nathan Brown ahead of emergency meeting

The Warriors have sacked coach Nathan Brown ahead of an emergency board meeting. The club was due to meet on Tuesday morning after Brown informed them he was not willing to move to New Zealand permanently due to personal reasons. The Warriors then moved to sever ties ahead of a scheduled meeting with CEO Cameron George and owner Mark Robinson at 9am.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 07c74e87ba

Warriors club statement

Warriors CEO Cameron George has today announced head coach Nathan Brown’s departure and confirmed current assistant coach Stacey Jones will take over the role for the rest of the 2022 NRL season.

The decision leaves Jones in charge for the last 11 rounds of the campaign starting with Sunday’s game against Cronulla.

“Nathan told us he had made a personal decision that for family reasons he wouldn’t be able to relocate to New Zealand as originally planned for the long term,” said George.

“We fully appreciate his position and the call he has made.

“Given those circumstances we agreed we needed to make an immediate change.

“It’s tough for everyone involved but, in the best interests of the club, we felt we had to go in a different direction now.

“Nathan has worked so hard for our club and we are extremely disappointed it has come to this. We’re truly grateful for what he has done and wish him and his family all the very best for the future.”

Jones (46) steps into the position after being involved with the club in playing and coaching roles for all but a few years of its existence.

“Stacey’s love of the club and knowledge of it is unparalleled. He has been on the inside of it for close to 25 years,” said George.

“We’ll be giving him, staff and players all the support possible for the rest of the season.”

Jones played his entire 261-game NRL career with the Warriors from 1995-2005 and then again in 2009 following two years with Les Catalans in the Super League in 2006 and 2007.

After a part-time coaching role with the Warriors in 2008 and his comeback year in 2009, he returned as the club’s pathways manager in 2013 before coaching the Junior Warriors to the 2014 NYC premiership title. In 2015 and 2016 he guided the club’s New South Wales Cup side to the finals each season.

He has been in an NRL assistant coach’s position since 2017 apart from last year when he returned home to work with the club’s Future Warriors programme before heading back to Australia to re-join the NRL squad’s coaching staff this season.

George said the club appreciated Jones stepping in to take up the role on an interim basis.

He added he would now work with owner Mark Robinson on an agreed process to appoint a new head coach.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2022/06/ ... -steps-in/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

They should go for Woolf, but it's the Warriors, so they'll end up with Trent Barrett

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pretty **** thing for Nathan Brown to do
I understand personal circumstances can change but when you take on a job like the warriors being pretty firm on your willingness to relocate to NZ to do the job is kind of part of it
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sid wrote: June 7, 2022, 9:20 am They should go for Woolf, but it's the Warriors, so they'll end up with Trent Barrett

Yea agree Woolf would be there best option, I don't think Stacey Jones is a long term head coach but he's popular so the players will at least play for him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I wouldn’t want to live in New Zealand either.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

With madge on the way out as well, is 3 coaches gone mid year the most we've ever had?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-PJ- wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:32 am I wouldn’t want to live in New Zealand either.
well then just make sure you don't sign a contract to coach the NZ warriors then Peeeej.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand is nice, would be a nice place to live, but they don’t have the Raiders.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2022, 2:30 pm New Zealand is nice, would be a nice place to live, but they don’t have the Raiders.
NRL wants to put a second team there don't they? ;)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

kiwi raider wrote: June 7, 2022, 1:55 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:32 am I wouldn’t want to live in New Zealand either.
well then just make sure you don't sign a contract to coach the NZ warriors then Peeeej.
I won’t kiwi.

You know I love the NZers !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s funny when you coach the New Zealand Warriors you have to be prepared to live in NZ. Surprisingly Ricky has to live in Canberra to coach Raiders and Thurston had to live in Townsville to captain Cowboys. This element seem to be proving a shock to both Lodge and Brown lately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just listened to Nathan Brown and he said his two eldest daughters jacked up and refused to move to New Zealand and the youngest one wanted to stay with the older sisters in Australia. His son happy to go wherever. Difficult choice for him.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

BJ wrote:It’s funny when you coach the New Zealand Warriors you have to be prepared to live in NZ. Surprisingly Ricky has to live in Canberra to coach Raiders and Thurston had to live in Townsville to captain Cowboys. This element seem to be proving a shock to both Lodge and Brown lately.
In fairness Brown is dealing with his teenage daughters, my daughters only 3 and I doubt I’d win the argument to move to New Zealand with her.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Postman Pat wrote:
BJ wrote:It’s funny when you coach the New Zealand Warriors you have to be prepared to live in NZ. Surprisingly Ricky has to live in Canberra to coach Raiders and Thurston had to live in Townsville to captain Cowboys. This element seem to be proving a shock to both Lodge and Brown lately.
In fairness Brown is dealing with his teenage daughters, my daughters only 3 and I doubt I’d win the argument to move to New Zealand with her.
It will be interesting when the teenagers suddenly realise their dad isn’t going to be earning $750k a year and that they can’t have their latest Apple Phones and designer clothing.

Lucky their Dad didn’t choose a military job where he has next to no say.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

End of the day its probably a good thing they part company. He certainly wasn't getting the best out of them and the players didn't seem like they really wanted to put in for him.

I don't think that will be the case with Stacey Jones but when your'e running out Jazz Tevanga and an overweight Ben Murdoch-Masila as your starting front row and very average outside backs then he's probably on a hiding to nothing no matter how much they try.

Kristan Wolfe the favourite for the head coaches role next year apparently
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Postman Pat wrote: June 7, 2022, 8:39 pm
Hearing that. My 6 year old is already giving me nightmares about the teen years
I havent won an argument with her since her first word.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

"Jacked up" these kids and their words.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
Hearing that. My 6 year old is already giving me nightmares about the teen years
You might next have a chance of winning an argument when she turns 35, so hang in there.

There’s also the chance of a “you were right Dad”, which will only come about 5 years after your initial comment.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

BJ wrote:
Postman Pat wrote:
It will be interesting when the teenagers suddenly realise their dad isn’t going to be earning $750k a year and that they can’t have their latest Apple Phones and designer clothing.

Lucky their Dad didn’t choose a military job where he has next to no say.
When you’ve been on good money for 20 years as a first grade coach and player do you really think he needs to coach for the dollars?

And do you not think he’ll get another role in recruiting with another club that pays well?

Let’s be honest, he hasn’t made this decision purely on his daughters. He’ll have loads of option to create income moving forward.

Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:
I’ve got a 5 year old son that agrees with me all the time, my little girl? Strongest personality I’ve ever meet!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:38 pm
Botman wrote:
You might next have a chance of winning an argument when she turns 35, so hang in there.

There’s also the chance of a “you were right Dad”, which will only come about 5 years after your initial comment.
35! I turn 35 in two days time. You'd get less time for killing a dude!
Ill go to my grave HAPPY if the day comes where she utters those words :lol:

Parenthood is quite a god damn ride.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Postman Pat wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:43 pm
Botman wrote:
I’ve got a 5 year old son that agrees with me all the time, my little girl? Strongest personality I’ve ever meet!
My young bloke is an angel. We wrestle, i throw him around, he comes back at me... he's easy
The girl... she's trouble. Nothing but sassy attitude haha. So confident, so assertive, so assured of herself... i dont have a **** prayer. :lol:
Last edited by Botman on June 7, 2022, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:46 pm
Botman wrote:
My young bloke is an angel. We wrestle, i throw him around, he comes back at me... he's easy
The girl... she's trouble. Nothing but sassy attitude haha.
Where did she get that from?!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:47 pm Where did she get that from?!
I get this **** enough from my wife, i dont need it here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:49 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:47 pm Where did she get that from?!
I get this **** enough from my wife, i dont need it here.
😅
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm still flabbergasted someone argues and wins with Botsy without questioning their whole existence

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:End of the day its probably a good thing they part company. He certainly wasn't getting the best out of them and the players didn't seem like they really wanted to put in for him.

I don't think that will be the case with Stacey Jones but when your'e running out Jazz Tevanga and an overweight Ben Murdoch-Masila as your starting front row and very average outside backs then he's probably on a hiding to nothing no matter how much they try.

Kristan Wolfe the favourite for the head coaches role next year apparently
He probably knew he'd be sacked soon anyway. Him and Maguire have been dead men walking for a few months now.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:
Botman wrote:
The girl... she's trouble. Nothing but sassy attitude haha. So confident, so assertive, so assured of herself... i dont have a **** prayer. :lol:
We’re living the same life, I wouldn’t trade her in for a second and little ladies need that assertiveness in there being moving forward.

But gee it’s hard to deal and negotiate with.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »