Rugby League 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Rugby League 2022

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: February 9, 2022, 12:15 pm Vale John ‘Johnny’ Raper

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1491217035539456000

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has paid tribute to Immortal John Raper, who died today aged 82.

Raper represented the Kangaroos in 39 Tests, including as Captain of the 1968 World Cup winning side, won eight Premierships with the St George Dragons and twice won NSWRL player of the year.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said Raper was one of the greatest players in the game’s history.

“Today we have lost one of our all time greats. An Immortal, a Kangaroos captain and an eight-time Premiership winning player. Johnny was the best of the best,’’ Mr V’landys said.

“Johnny was a football genius. He had a gut instinct for rugby league like few we have seen. He wasn’t the biggest player on the field, but he was the smartest. Johnny’s feats with the Dragons will remain part of rugby league legend forever.

“On behalf of the game, I send my deepest condolences to Johnny’s family, friends and teammates.”

NRL media release
What a player. A childhood hero of mine and many others. Never the biggest, fastest or strongest on the paddock, but with an incredible will to win and he had an innate sense of knowing where the football was going to be. Great cover defender and 'never beaten' attitude saw him named as an immortal. Famous for wearing a bowler hat and nothing else through the town of Ilkley in England during a Kangaroo tour. When he nominated to be an Australian selector he owned up that it was not him but a team mate called Dennis Manteit who was the man in the bowler hat. RIP John Raper.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL confirm enhancements to judiciary and MRC

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved enhancements to the Judiciary and Match Review Committee aimed at making the processes simpler to understand and more consistent for participants.

Judiciary

The pool of available Judiciary panel members will be expanded with former coaches and former referees now eligible to be members along with former players on two-member judiciary panels.

The Judiciary Chairman will now observe the judiciary panel’s deliberations and will provide the casting vote where the verdict is not unanimous.

Once the verdict is announced, the Judiciary Chairman will now provide a summary which explains the reasons for the panel’s decision. This will better inform clubs, players and the public of the reasons behind a decision.

Match Review Committee (MRC)

The pool of available Match Review Committee Members will also be expanded with former coaches and former referees joining former players as members.

The MRC Manager will have the casting vote on whether a charge is issued, if there is a deadlock. Former Player Luke Patten has been appointed the MRC Manager. The match review will remain independent, with the NRL CEO and ARL Commission having the ability to refer matters for the MRC to review an incident for charging not already captured by the Match Review Committee.

Charges and Penalties

The existing points system, including carryover points, has been retired and made simpler with players issued with fines or a suspension.

Every player will begin 2022 with a clean slate with player records reset on a rolling 12-month period since their last offence. Players serving suspensions from last season will be required to complete their existing suspensions.

All Grade 1 Offences will carry a fine except for a reckless high tackles, which is effectively treated as starting at an equivalent of a Grade 4, following on from careless high tackles.

The number of offences will be streamlined into 8 categories. Players who enter an early guilty plea will be eligible to have their suspensions reduced by one week. Additional guidance and video libraries of examples of each category and grading will be made available.

The changes will add more diverse experience to the decision making panels, simplify sanctions and reduce anomalies where players received significantly different penalties for similar offences because of carry over points. In particular, to ensure consistency, a decision tree with video examples will be used for each type of offence by the Match Review Committee. The process will be easier to understand and more transparent.

The changes will be effective from Round 1 of the 2022 NRL Premiership.

Penalty schedule and read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/10/nrl ... committee/

Probably sensible changes on first read. I'd like to look more closely at the suspensions etc. They look a bit too severe to me.

Process, of course, is terrible. They announce them literally hours before the first game, with virtually no notice given to players or clubs. Do they do anything that is not "on the run"?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Just need some judiciary panel members who don’t read the Daily Telegraph or listen to the Continuous Call.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Welcome to the judiciary panel Boyd Cordner, Cameron Smith and Darren Lockyer.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We’ve talked about Rugby Leagues poor television coverage compared to other sports over the past few years.

Fox sports used to focus their coverage and promotions on their select games. Ever since they got the rights to simulcast Nine’s games, Fox are also focusing on the big teams and big games (essentially duplicating Nines league coverage).

The NRL really needs to step in and focus Fox across the code as a whole, not just more news and more talk about the same 5 teams as Nine.
BJ
Steve Walters

Rugby League 2022

Post by BJ »

Geez this new Ultra HD channels approach on Fox is confusing. Have to type in the exact number. Can’t channel browse to it. Can’t save it as a favourite channel. Can’t find it on the onscreen TV guide.

Hopeless.

But the picture quality once you get there. Outstanding.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote:Geez this new Ultra HD channels approach on Fox is confusing. Have to type in the exact number. Can’t channel browse to it. Can’t save it as a favourite channel. Can’t find it on the onscreen TV guide.

Hopeless.

What’s the channel number?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

X Æ A-12
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: March 12, 2022, 5:13 pmX Æ A-12
My remote doesn’t even allow that.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote:Geez this new Ultra HD channels approach on Fox is confusing. Have to type in the exact number. Can’t channel browse to it. Can’t save it as a favourite channel. Can’t find it on the onscreen TV guide.

Hopeless.

591 - 594

Raiders game last night on 591. Took manual recording settings to tape last nights game in 4K.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2022

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Hopeless.

591 - 594

Raiders game last night on 591. Took manual recording settings to tape last nights game in 4K.
I just get a refresh circle. Oh, now it says my internet connection isn’t good enough.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
What kind of cheapo TV you got there GE?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
It’s an LG, and LG sound bar, with Foxtel.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
It’s an LG, and LG sound bar, with Foxtel.

Might need the full HD Foxtel license and a full 4K TV.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Braith Anasta has a player management company, Munster is on his books. How can Fox put Anasta as host of NRL 360 and expect us to have belief in his unbiased views. Poor look for what’s meant to be the most serious league show on the channel.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The media stopped caring about unbiased views long ago. In regards to NRL, we’re at least still living in an era where the lead commentator is unbiased. Sadly, that will probably go away too someday. For example, the regional commentators used in North America for NBA/MLB/NHL are heinously biased.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Titans has scored a thousand tries down Simonsson's flank

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why does the set of “Benji” have fake electronic bricks and fake graffiti? And why is he dressed like he’s from the ‘hood? He’s nearly 40 years old!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC announce expansion for NRLW, Women's State of Origin

The Australian Rugby League Commission has approved the expansion of the NRL Women’s Premiership, Ampol Women’s State of Origin and the introduction of a salary cap system which will increase average salaries by 28 per cent.

To ensure new teams have time to prepare and allow further talent development, the 2022 NRLW season will remain at six teams before expanding to eight teams in 2023 and 10 teams in 2024. The Commission will determine new licences by July this year.

For the 2022 season, NRLW teams will move to a salary cap system with the salary cap set at $350,000 per team. The new system will increase average salaries by 28 per cent and clubs will also be given the ability to contract up to two marquee players as full-time employees with additional salary cap dispensation. Private Health insurance will also be covered for all contracted NRLW players.

In 2022 Representative payments will increase substantially. State of Origin match payments will increase from $4000 to $6000 while All Stars payments will increase from $1,600 to $3000. From 2023, the Women’s State of Origin will expand to a two game stand alone series, with both games aired live on free-to-air television.

The Commission has also approved substantial increases in investment of junior female participation and pathways programs, including national age group championships as well as coaching and referee academies.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the Commission is committed to a sustainable growth strategy of the women’s game from grassroots participation to the elite level.

“Today is an exciting day for the women’s game. We’re expanding to eight teams in 2023 and 10 teams in 2024. We’re also introducing a salary cap for next season and creating the opportunity for more players to access full time employment through their club,’’ he said.

“The expansion of the NRLW competition and the introduction of the salary cap will ensure players earn substantially more income from our game.

"We’re experiencing significant growth in television audiences and that’s down to the players and the Commission will continue to invest and support that success.

“Importantly the announcements today are about ensuring a sustainable NRLW competition. We’ve always been very clear that we would ensure our playing talent is deep enough and our clubs are prepared before expanding. The lead-in time ahead of the next expansion phase will ensure our clubs have the right infrastructure in place and there is even more depth to our playing talent.”

Mr Abdo said all existing NRL Clubs would have the ability to submit applications to join the 2023 or 2024 seasons. The NRL will work with interested clubs over the coming months with the Commission to make final assessments and approve licence applications in July.

The Commission will focus on investment in female pathways to ensure the playing talent pool continues to grow.

“Today is not just about the elite game, it’s also about building stronger participation and pathways," he said.

“The Commission is focussed on building the women’s game from the bottom up. Not just encouraging more participation as players but also more female coaches and female referees. Right across the game we will continue to work to create pathways for women regardless of whether they want to play, coach, referee or be an administrator.”

Mr Abdo thanked the NRLW playing group and RLPA for their input throughout the process.

“I want to thank our players. They were incredibly patient while we ensured we could launch a 2021 season which gave everyone the opportunity to play and we’ve had really constructive conversations with the RLPA about the next steps in our growth strategy," he said.

NRL media release
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Couple of Donkeys punching on.

Love it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I'm going to vomit when the roosters announce that they have signed Haas
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

James Maloney tests positive to cocaine, stood down by French club: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-13/ ... /100987320
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:James Maloney tests positive to cocaine, stood down by French club: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-13/ ... /100987320
Do you reckon some of these players think they can simply turn off the Cocaine habit when they stop playing and the easy money tap runs dry?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Momentous game in Carcassonne this evening.

Catalans v Toulouse is quite an incredible match-up.

Expansion moves at a glacial pace in our game and so this is one I thought I'd never see, but I'm delighted.

I suspect it might be a little one-sided on the pitch - Catalans are a very fine team - but if Toulouse can hang around in SL for a couple of years, their potential is all but unlimited.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Ash Taylor retires with a chronic hip problem

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Loved this on NRL 360. Braith Anasta asks… so why won’t they employ Shane Flanagan? Pregnant pause… everyone looks sideways… everyone avoids the obvious answer. Because he brought the game and club into extreme disrepute due to drug and salary cap cheating… and cheating on his cheating ban. That’s probably it!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't like Flanagan one bit, but not even I could see that pregnant pause....I think they were just waiting to see who would speak first.

It would be disappointing to see SF anywhere near a nrl head coaches job again.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don Furner saying the new CBA will come with a new NRL funding model, so you get more funding if you run Flegg, SG Ball and Harold Matthews teams, more funding if you run NRLW and Tarsha Gale teams. Still waiting on details: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Presumably there’ll somehow need to be recognition given to teams that fund Queensland Cup teams.

But it looks like the NRL is pushing for a national reserve grade competition above NSW and Queensland Cup…
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/number ... 5axzd.html

And the clubs want to get their hands on NRL funding for the NSWRL and QRL.

I’m not sure that’s the best idea.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

All I do know is the current junior funding model isn’t properly supporting the game at the grass roots level.

Under the current model, clubs like Knights, Cowboys and Raiders support 1000s of kids at all levels of skill with junior weekend football. Only for clubs like Roosters and Storm to cherry pick the best 1% in their mid teens for their own junior representative squads.

Will the new proposal fix this base issue????

If you’re not going to have an NRL wide draft or player movement restriction, poorly performing clubs based on their ladder position should be financially rewarded extra for their junior development.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: July 3, 2022, 9:59 am All I do know is the current junior funding model isn’t properly supporting the game at the grass roots level.

Under the current model, clubs like Knights, Cowboys and Raiders support 1000s of kids at all levels of skill with junior weekend football. Only for clubs like Roosters and Storm to cherry pick the best 1% in their mid teens for their own junior representative squads.

Will the new proposal fix this base issue????

If you’re not going to have an NRL wide draft or player movement restriction, poorly performing clubs based on their ladder position should be financially rewarded extra for their junior development.
I think the Roosters would qualify easily for most if not all tiers of funding under the proposal. The only level they don’t run their own team is NSW Cup (joint with the Bears).

But ironically, the Cowboys might not, if Blackhawks, Pride and Cutters don’t count.

Will need to see more detail.

I also wouldn’t want to see the state leagues lose any money. It’s grass roots stuff.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Powerbrokers Nick Politis, Karl Morris and Nick Pappas stunned by NRL's decision to buy Gambaro's Hotel for $25 million: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d5b29f2e55

The three are apparently considering resigning from the NRL's Investment Committee, after being kept in the dark over the decision. Gambaro's is to be themed as an NRL hotel, with rooms named after legendary players.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Can't find an ESL thread. Just watched Wign v St Helens.

Joe Batchelor looks a tremendous player to me. Really genuine modern second rower. Also seems like he's done it the hard way and honed his game and hardened himself in the second tier until his mid 20s.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL considering dramatic rule change which would see matches extend past 80 minutes

The NRL are considering a shock rule change which could see the game extend beyond the 80 minute mark and stop teams intentionally giving away set restarts in the dying stages of games with the match in the balance. The NRL will explore the potential of teams having to play out their set of six even if the game clock has elapsed.

That means for example, if you are in possession with just 15 seconds to go before the halftime or full-time siren then the referee will allow you to play out your set regardless if the match clock has expired.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c08281e79d

Another ridiculous mooted rule change from the NRL. Simplify the rules. Stop making them more complex!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

the never ending set of 6

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer