Manly Sea Eagles 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Manly Sea Eagles 2022

Post by zim »

How do you expect someone to agree or disagree with someone they don't even know exists? Anonymity is literally a condition that precludes you forming an opinion on the individual.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

dubby wrote:
BJ wrote: July 25, 2022, 9:19 pm I can never understand why some Christians would use their religious beliefs to draw the line about some rainbow colours on their jerseys, or similar perceived issues.
Usman Khawaja blocked out the VB logo on his cricket uniform
Sonny Bill did the same thing with gambling companies. I think Roosters replaced a sponsor with Gotcha4Life.

My issue comes with people who seem to pick and choose their beliefs. There’s no issues with alcohol or gambling sponsors, pre-marital shenanigans, playing on sabbath, but they draw the line at a pride jersey?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Honestly Fui every religious person picks and chooses otherwise they’d all be in gaol, the good ones throw out the abhorrent and bigoted passages though not choose to cling to them.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

dubby wrote: July 26, 2022, 9:02 am
Timbo wrote: July 26, 2022, 7:08 am What annoys me the most is the magical shield of religion that’s allowing them to get away with this.

Wait till they find out what god thinks about having ‘Pointsbet’ plastered across their jersey, or playing on the Sabbath, or having tattoos, or premarital sex, or wearing clothing made out of a weave of different cloths.

Stop it, please. This has nothing to do with loving Jesus.
Were you this outraged when Haneen Zreika refused to play wearing a pride jersey for GWS?
I didn't know about her but I completely agree that this was an inappropriate reaction from her as well.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 26, 2022, 11:42 am Anonymity isn't an excuse. It's indicative of a society that comprises varying people and different beliefs.

I hadn't heard of some of those Manly players either.
What the **** are you actually talking about?
How exactly can one be outraged by a person and/or situation if they are completely unaware of it? :lol:

No one was outraged by her because no one knows she exists and she's not high profile enough for any new organisation to bother to cover her homophobic Bull
Manly are a high profile club playing in one of the biggest sports in the country. They'll get covered, people will know about and react accordingly.

And again, what do you actually think people will say about Zreika?
Explain to me as if im 5 years old what point you're trying make?
Do you think people who are critical of the Manly players would support her position? Because they won't.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 26, 2022, 11:47 am
dubby wrote:
BJ wrote: July 25, 2022, 9:19 pm I can never understand why some Christians would use their religious beliefs to draw the line about some rainbow colours on their jerseys, or similar perceived issues.
Sonny Bill did the same thing with gambling companies. I think Roosters replaced a sponsor with Gotcha4Life.

My issue comes with people who seem to pick and choose their beliefs. There’s no issues with alcohol or gambling sponsors, pre-marital shenanigans, playing on sabbath, but they draw the line at a pride jersey?

No one should be surprised that subscribers to the old cults are not happy to wear a prominent symbol that represents one of the new cults.

They don't care about gambling or the sabbath because those things are not competing preachy semi-political movements.

The same thing would happen if one of the rich whacky church groups sponsored a team and had them wear a religious symbol on their jersey. Half the players would pull out. No different and would be an equally stunning PR screw up.

The Manly marketing team is to blame here. Totally. You just shouldn't do this stuff without engagement with the stakeholders/players
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Boomercm wrote:
dubby wrote:

No one should be surprised that subscribers to the old cults are not happy to wear a prominent symbol that represents one of the new cults.

They don't care about gambling or the sabbath because those things are not competing preachy semi-political movements.

The same thing would happen if one of the rich whacky church groups sponsored a team and had them wear a religious symbol on their jersey. Half the players would pull out. No different and would be an equally stunning PR screw up.

The Manly marketing team is to blame here. Totally. You just shouldn't do this stuff without engagement with the stakeholders/players
I've read this take multiple times from others and it really pisses me off. Showing support for a group of marginalised people who just want to exist and a rich hypocritical "religious" organisation paying for sponsorship are not the same thing, not even by a long shot.

The manly marketing department are to blame for absolutely nothing. In fact they should be applauded for this initiative. The only people to blame are the 7 cowards hiding behind their religion costing their team's finals chances.

People wanting to live their lives as equals to the rest of us, with the same rights should not be **** political.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Raider Azz wrote: July 26, 2022, 12:46 pm
Boomercm wrote:
dubby wrote:

I've read this take multiple times from others and it really pisses me off. Showing support for a group of marginalised people who just want to exist and a rich hypocritical "religious" organisation paying for sponsorship are not the same thing, not even by a long shot.

The manly marketing department are to blame for absolutely nothing. In fact they should be applauded for this initiative. The only people to blame are the 7 cowards hiding behind their religion costing their team's finals chances.

People wanting to live their lives as equals to the rest of us, with the same rights should not be **** political.

This is a terrible but common take.

I was very active and motivated in deplatforming the churches and their influence. I believed they had no right to tell others how to live and persecute them through politics and law. I still don't.

But nor do these new righteous movements. The manly blokes should be allowed to wear whatever symbols they want on their shirt (or no symbol). That is why religious groups needed deplatforming in the first place.

I don't have to like anyones beliefs to respect their right to their own beliefs. It would make no difference at all if these manly players simply wore a different jersey without the rainbow. And if it happened without comment - as the norm - that would be true diversity.

I'd say we will never agree on this on. Happy to have made my little contribution.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Manbush wrote:Honestly Fui every religious person picks and chooses otherwise they’d all be in gaol, the good ones throw out the abhorrent and bigoted passages though not choose to cling to them.
Agree Bushy, that was the point I was trying to make. They choice of which ones to follow and which ones to ignore is what irks me.

And yeah, I disagree with those saying the marketing team are to blame.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Boomercm wrote:
Boomercm wrote:
dubby wrote: Usman Khawaja blocked out the VB logo on his cricket uniform

I was very active and motivated in deplatforming the churches and their influence. I believed they had no right to tell others how to live and persecute them through politics and law. I still don't.

But nor do these new righteous movements. The manly blokes should be allowed to wear whatever symbols they want on their shirt (or no symbol). That is why religious groups needed deplatforming in the first place.

I don't have to like anyones beliefs to respect their right to their own beliefs. It would make no difference at all if these manly players simply wore a different jersey without the rainbow. And if it happened without comment - as the norm - that would be true diversity.

I'd say we will never agree on this on. Happy to have made my little contribution.
I thought we'd moved on from LGBTI being a belief or choice? People can choose to go to church or not if they want, LGBTI isn't a choice?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Boomercm wrote: July 26, 2022, 12:54 pm
I respect peoples rights to believe anything they like, people have the right to be racist, homophobic misogynist ***** but I do not need to respect their beliefs when they are disrespectful of others, it’s not only a right to call them out it should be a duty for any decent human being, we shouldn’t tolerate intolerance.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Boomercm wrote:
dubby wrote:

But nor do these new righteous movements.
The manly blokes should be allowed to wear whatever symbols they want on their shirt (or no symbol). That is why religious groups needed deplatforming in the first place.

This isn't a righteous movement - just (un)common human decency.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I'm going to take a hard pass on categorising giving a marginalised segment of the population basic human rights as a "righteous movement"
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Manbush wrote: July 26, 2022, 1:22 pm
I respect peoples rights to believe anything they like, people have the right to be racist, homophobic misogynist **** but I do not need to respect their beliefs when they are disrespectful of others, it’s not only a right to call them out it should be a duty for any decent human being, we shouldn’t tolerate intolerance.
It baffles me that ppl think the Manly players are the ones being intolerant. Those players are now the centre of hate threads and abuse from huge numbers of people who have never met them. And they are being vilified based on the fact they won't wear a particular symbol on their t-shirt. These blokes haven't posted stuff on their walls ala Folau - it was literally forced upon them. That reminds me of something that happened a lot to marginalised people in the past...

All I see here is a bunch of islander players with religious cultural backgrounds, that don't want to be forced to wear what they see as a political/religious symbol. And I suspect they are right. The rainbow stripe has now been transformed from a symbol of diversity into a political/religious symbol. If it wasn't, they would be able to chose whether or not to wear it (and no ***storm would result). This is what happens when you actually value diversity, instead of proscribing to a cult.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Boomercm wrote: July 26, 2022, 1:46 pm
Manbush wrote: July 26, 2022, 1:22 pm
I respect peoples rights to believe anything they like, people have the right to be racist, homophobic misogynist **** but I do not need to respect their beliefs when they are disrespectful of others, it’s not only a right to call them out it should be a duty for any decent human being, we shouldn’t tolerate intolerance.
It baffles me that ppl think the Manly players are the ones being intolerant. Those players are now the centre of hate threads and abuse from huge numbers of people who have never met them. And they are being vilified based on the fact they won't wear a particular symbol on their t-shirt. These blokes haven't posted stuff on their walls ala Folau - it was literally forced upon them. That reminds me of something that happened a lot to marginalised people in the past...

All I see here is a bunch of islander players with religious cultural backgrounds, that don't want to be forced to wear what they see as a political/religious symbol. And I suspect they are right. The rainbow stripe has now been transformed from a symbol of diversity into a political/religious symbol. If it wasn't, they would be able to chose whether or not to wear it (and no ***storm would result). This is what happens when you actually value diversity, instead of proscribing to a cult.
Sorry but can’t hide bigotry behind religion and culture to pretend it’s ok.

They view it as an LGBTQ symbol, that’s it, don’t pretend it’s being viewed their objection is a political/religious symbol.

The manly players are the ones being bigoted and intolerant, everyone is just calling them out for their ****. We should not tolerate intolerance which is exactly what you think we should do. Have you heard of Karl Poppers paradox of tolerance?

Philosopher Karl Popper described the paradox of tolerance as the seemingly counterintuitive idea that “in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.” Essentially, if a so-called tolerant society permits the existence of intolerant philosophies, it is no longer tolerant.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

This is women in league round, why isn’t the jersey pink?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think purple is the woman in league round colour. Judging by the branding on the website.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

That makes sense…
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

This is all just corporate virtue signalling gone spectacular wrong😆 sucked in Manly.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

dubby wrote:

That's pretty vague, Fui. The Sabbath can be any day.
Bible says nothing about alcohol but it prohibits drunkenness.
Nothing about gambling.
Pre marital hanky panky is unknown by anyone except the individual.

You're drawing on a lot of assumptions old mate without the proper context
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: July 26, 2022, 12:17 pm
dubby wrote: July 26, 2022, 11:42 am Anonymity isn't an excuse. It's indicative of a society that comprises varying people and different beliefs.

How exactly can one be outraged by a person and/or situation if they are completely unaware of it? :lol:

No one was outraged by her because no one knows she exists and she's not high profile enough for any new organisation to bother to cover her homophobic Bull
Manly are a high profile club playing in one of the biggest sports in the country. They'll get covered, people will know about and react accordingly.

Do you think people who are critical of the Manly players would support her position? Because they won't.
I refer you to Peter FitzSimons. Go read what he said about her compared to what he says about the Manly players and Folau
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Riaan wrote: July 26, 2022, 3:10 pm This is all just corporate virtue signalling gone spectacular wrong😆 sucked in Manly.
That's exactly what it is.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

dubby wrote:

How exactly can one be outraged by a person and/or situation if they are completely unaware of it? Image

I refer you to Peter FitzSimons. Go read what he said about her compared to what he says about the Manly players and Folau
Peter Fitzsimmons is about as irrelevant as this random AFLW player

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

dubby wrote:
dubby wrote:

Nothing about gambling.

You're drawing on a lot of assumptions old mate without the proper context
Yeah, fair. I was raised in a strict Seventh Day Adventist family. Growing up, there was very strict rules around drinking, gambling, no interactions with the outside world on Saturday etc. I didn’t eat bacon or prawns until I was 18 and moved out.

So yeah fair point. My opinions are based on a very conservative side of the religious spectrum.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 26, 2022, 5:17 pm

Why in the **** would I want to read Peter Fitzsimmons?

You seem to be dancing around something here. What exactly are you trying to say about this situation and the WAFL player situation?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

"Why in the **** would I want to read Peter Fitzsimmons?"

Regardless of any context, this comment is always correct.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the discussion on NRL 360. Some of the stuff said…

What a sorry state of the world. The idea that the game is inclusive has been shattered today, by the reaction from some people in the game and fans to this. And it is little wonder that only one male player in NRL history has ever felt able to openly say they are gay. If you need proof that the game and community are not inclusive, we now certainly have it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote: I don't have to like anyones beliefs to respect their right to their own beliefs. It would make no difference at all if these manly players simply wore a different jersey without the rainbow. And if it happened without comment - as the norm - that would be true diversity.
True diversity is having the full spectrum of good people through to ***** and allowing the ***** to pretend they’re good people.

Ok Boomer.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s funny. It’s a bit of a fail that Manly didn’t run this by the players, but that would have seen the idea quashed and there’d be no discussion now.

I’m hopeful this debacle has the benefit of dragging the conversation into the light and hopefully the weight of sentiment sits with the progressives and speeds the transition.

I don’t support sustained commentary or attacks on the specific players. They didn’t seek out making a stand on this. But it should just be called what it is, and we move on and celebrate with those who are willing.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2022, 7:07 pm Just watching the discussion on NRL 360. Some of the stuff said…

What a sorry state of the world. The idea that the game is inclusive has been shattered today, by the reaction from some people in the game and fans to this. And it is little wonder that only one male player in NRL history has ever felt able to openly say they are gay. If you need proof that the game and community are not inclusive, we now certainly have it.
This is the crux of it. It's actually a slap in the face to the gay community to whack on a pride jersey when only 1 out of hundreds of gay players has been confident enough to be out, so to speak. IMO
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2022, 7:07 pm Just watching the discussion on NRL 360. Some of the stuff said…

Very sad you've selected to write only the part which supports your view.

360 openly said there has always been gay players but they want to avoid making their personal life public because they don't want to get involved in being a public figure regarding this issue.

Rugby league was the first Australian sport to appoint an aboriginal captain of a national team, and the first to have a player come out as gay.

By and large most people keep their sexuality, politics and religious beliefs private.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: July 26, 2022, 5:16 pm
dubby wrote:

Nothing about gambling.

You're drawing on a lot of assumptions old mate without the proper context,
The sabbath is the 7th day to honor that god, so depending on which religion/denomination it’s either a Saturday or Sunday, the Bible specifically says he made the 7th day holy so it’s not “any day”.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:360 openly said there has always been gay players but they want to avoid making their personal life public because they don't want to get involved in being a public figure regarding this issue.
Oddly I’ve heard there were Jews who didn’t want their religion public in Nazi Germany too!

Oh Godwin’s law… oops
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep demonstrates exactly why this kind of thing still needs to occur.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

You're no theologian, bushy!
Colossians 2:16, NLT: So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.” Mark 2:24-28