Parramatta Eels 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Parramatta Eels 2022

Post by greeneyed »

Squad Game: Eels 2022 roster changes and best 17

Depth at hooker and in the outside backs shape as key issues for the Eels, who still have 12 months until a host of stars begin to filter out of the club.

Possible best 17
1. Clint Gutherson, 2. Maika Sivo, 3. Will Penisini, 4. Waqa Blake, 5. Bailey Simonsson, 6. Dylan Brown, 7. Mitch Moses, 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 9. Reed Mahoney, 10. Junior Paulo, 11. Isaiah Papali'i, 12. Ryan Matterson, 13. Nathan Brown, 14. Marata Niukore, 15. Shaun Lane, 16. Oregon Kaufusi, 17. Ray Stone/Bryce Cartwright

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/22/squ ... d-best-17/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Parramatta Eels 2022

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dylan Brown re-signs with Eels

The Parramatta Eels are delighted to announce Dylan Brown has agreed to a multi-year extension to remain at the Club until at least the end of 2025 with an option to remain an Eel until 2031.

“I left New Zealand to pursue an NRL career when I was 15, and the Eels have been home for me ever since. It’s been an amazing journey so far, and the Club has an exciting future that I want to be part of for a long time,” Dylan said.

Read more: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2022/ ... with-eels/
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Parramatta Eels 2022

Post by Rick »

Wow that’s a huge player option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's such a bad deal, if he blows his knees he's set up for life

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah, that's a 'build your club around him' sort of deal but I'm not sure he's ever going to be that elite level half. He's close and will probably have a very good NRL career but not a marquee player.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Player option until 2031 HAS to be a typo
That cant be real. That's a decade into the future
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Apparently it's 2 3 year player options, one in 25 and the next in 28

To "ensure he is getting appropriate market value"

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: December 20, 2022, 11:02 am Apparently it's 2 3 year player options, one in 25 and the next in 28

To "ensure he is getting appropriate market value"

That makes sense from the player and agent perspective.
But it's still going to be a major problem if he declines or suffers a career altering injury
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I am surprised that the current medical retirement rules have not led to more of these types of deals. You can sign up young a-listers up long term when they have no/few prior injuries, and you are insured against career threatening injury. Renewing a deal every 3 years means the prior injury list gets updated.

With that in mind, makes a lot of sense for both parties.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm not sure what the current medical retirement rules are but I'm not sure the Burgess method would work now. Inglis' retirement wasn't as farcical as Burgess' due to the complaints.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The current medical retirement rules don’t help everyone. Our old timer, who we love as a servant and player, dislocated his shoulder changing the channel and is still playing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

there was another thread that touched on the medical retirement rules. It's complicated because there are both NRL and insurance decision-making processes, and these won't necessarily return the same answer (i.e., you could be medically retired by NRL and wiped off the cap, but not paid out by insurers).

But for either process pre-contract injuries are very relevant. Few or no pre-contract injuries make it more likely to achieve a successful medical retirement (and insurance pay out to cover the club financially tp pay the wages).

Given this, I think signing young and elite guys to very long term contracts makes some sense for all concerned.
* The player gets guaranteed career money at an early age
* club locks up elite player long term
* both club and player protected from career threatening injury because few or no prior injuries
* club likely benefits from this in the renegotiation every 3 years too, because if the player leaves any injuries accrued since the last contract would be considered prior to the new contract

It obviously won't help if the player has lots of niggles and plays on anyway, but my guess is if Croker had been signed under a contract like this 10 years ago he would probably be able to medically retire.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The 2023 Eels will miss the 8.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: