Canberra Raiders sign Mackay winger Josh Smith and fullback Rayden Burns

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Mackay winger Josh Smith and fullback Rayden Burns

Post by UncleDrew »

Could this spell the end of Simonsson? Pre-empting his exit, we have a couple of outside backs in the depth chart now.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 9:34 am

Rayden Burns profile: https://www.qrl.com.au/players/intrust- ... den-burns/
170cm and 74kg? He'd be on the small side in the u15s!

Edit: My 15 year old plays as an outside back at 182cm and 79kg, and while he's on the larger side, he's certainly not huge at that age group. I cannot fathom how you could play as an outside back at that size these days.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Those Instagram profiles are from 2020, so they’d both be 20.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Half/Fullback/Front Row.

Very versatile!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: November 3, 2021, 10:19 am

170cm and 70kg? He'd be on the small side in the u15s!
Doesn’t seem to have grown but 74kgs as of last year.

2019 highlights for Burns: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/07/01/ ... den-burns/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 10:21 am
T_R wrote: November 3, 2021, 10:19 am

170cm and 70kg? He'd be on the small side in the u15s!
Doesn’t seem to have grown but 74kgs as of last year.

2019 highlights for Burns: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/07/01/ ... den-burns/
Typo :) I jumped in with an edit.

Would still be on the small side at 15s. Amazing that he can play at that level.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

His highlights look pretty good. Nippy.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Crawleys boys

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

When I first saw the Thread, I only saw the Twitter update and was thinking "Geez, bit young for a Development Contract". Luckily I kept scrolling
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I like it. I like it a lot. Been saying we need new faces and a different approach. Not sure if either lad will get a run in 2022 but this is the way to go.

Simo and Semi might be nervous.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Jayden Campbell is ten cm taller and six kg heavier than Burns.

He’ll need to find a way to seriously bulk up without losing any of his zip if he wants to make it at the top level.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preston Campbell: height 1.67 m, weight 75 kg
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Development players are there to "kick the tyres" on some young talent. I'm happy they are looking.

170 and 74 is small though.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 1:03 pm Preston Campbell: height 1.67 m, weight 75 kg
And dominated close to 20 years ago, mostly as a half/hooker/super sub. Not sure that's relevant in today's game for a winger.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: November 3, 2021, 3:00 pm Development players are there to "kick the tyres" on some young talent. I'm happy they are looking.

170 and 74 is small though.
I’ve got a few Kgs I could lend him if that’s helpful?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: November 3, 2021, 3:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 1:03 pm Preston Campbell: height 1.67 m, weight 75 kg
And dominated close to 20 years ago, mostly as a half/hooker/super sub. Not sure that's relevant in today's game for a winger.
He’s a fullback.

Preston played up till 2011. 78 of 267 games at fullback.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Lucky he isn't a winger then
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Are these Development Contracts or development contracts?

A Development Contract is the official term for the up to 6 players who are outside the top 30 but are part of the full time squad and can be brought into first grade. Xavier Savage, Trey Mooney, Darby Medlyn and Kai O’Donnell have been in this class of player the past couple of years.

A development contract sounds to be to be a colloquial name for someone who has been signed to play in our Jersey Flegg team. That team will be coached by Mick Crawley who coached Mackay this year.

These players are not full time and have jobs during the week, attend training in the evening and play Flegg on the weekends. Some of those players may then progress the through the ranks.

My guess would be they fit into the second category.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

development Contracts I’d say
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 3:38 pm
He’s a fullback.

Not sure I'd call someone who played only 29% of their first-grade career at fullback "a fullback". From memory he played there in his early days at the Sharks, but was primarily a half from then on, including when he won a premiership at the Panthers, close to 20 years ago.

The point being, despite his size, he wasn't a winger playing in 2022, so the comparison is moot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: November 3, 2021, 5:26 pm
He’s a fullback.

Not sure I'd call someone who played only 29% of their first-grade career at fullback "a fullback". From memory he played there in his early days at the Sharks, but was primarily a half from then on, including when he won a premiership at the Panthers, close to 20 years ago.

The point being, despite his size, he wasn't a winger playing in 2022, so the comparison is moot.
Rayden Burns is a fullback, not a winger. Josh Smith is a winger.

I brought up Preston Campbell because he was an even smaller player than Burns who played a lot of fullback. Most of those games were for the Titans between 2007-2010. Small players have been known to excel at fullback.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 6:02 pm
He’s a fullback.

I brought up Preston Campbell because he was an even smaller player than Burns who played a lot of fullback. Most of those games were for the Titans between 2007-2010. Small players have been known to excel at fullback.
Yep Slater, Paps, Laurie, Dufty, Jayden Campbell. You’d expect they need to fill out a little but I’m not concerned about size. Happy for us to run a mosquito squad so long as they can tackle
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 6:02 pm
He’s a fullback.

Ah, my mistake, I thought you were referring to Campbell as "a fullback" ,not Burns. Who I now see is also a half and a front rower, not sure how that combo works.

I'm also seriously amazed Preston played that much fullback at the back end of his career at the Titans. I thought his fullback days were behind him at the Sharks after he won the Dally M in 2001 (I think). Must have still had a bit of speed in the old legs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In 2001, Preston Campbell alternated between fullback and wing for the first half of the season, and spent the back at halfback. The Sharks lost only four times with him at half. He only played at fullback five times when he won the Dally M Medal in 2001 and was the Dally Halfback of the Year.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

From what I watched of Josh Smith this year, he was Mackays best back. Can cover wing, fullback and centre.

Good pickup

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

I get the feeling that Rayden might be Josh Smith's 'companion pony'.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Choc Magic wrote: November 4, 2021, 8:32 am I get the feeling that Rayden might be Josh Smith's 'companion pony'.
Ouch
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you do a Google search you’ll find Mick Crawley speaking very highly of him and his skills… and saying he won’t be with the Cutters for long. Is there any reason to use negative terms about a young player, who you’ve probably never seen play and who arrived yesterday?
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2021, 11:51 am If you do a Google search you’ll find Mick Crawley speaking very highly of him and his skills… and saying he won’t be with the Cutters for long. Is there any reason to use negative terms about a young player, who you’ve probably never seen play and who arrived yesterday?
I've seen Rayden's highlights and to be frank, they featured Josh Smith just as heavily as himself. I do hope he goes on to have a great career in green. However it does not mean I can't have a 'feeling' about the situation. Also, 'Companion Pony' isn't a negative term... they actually play a pivotal role... google it
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Both show good footwork and speed. Josh Smith can sure chase and catch a kick on the full. Also he is largely a left side player who carries the ball in his left hand. I like it. Rayden Burns looks an instinctive footballer. I am hoping that does not get coached out of him. Time and form will tell if they have an NRL future. I wish them both well and welcome them to the Green Machine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think I backed a companion pony on Tuesday- definitely a negative term. I hope we can dig up this post after he wins a golden boot!
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

Billy Walker wrote:I think I backed a companion pony on Tuesday- definitely a negative term. I hope we can dig up this post after he wins a golden boot!
Optimism bias often leads to disappointment. My only advice to you would be to gamble responsibly.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk