Josh Hodgson signs with Eels for 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson looks to be staying put

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Why staying at the Canberra Raiders is the right thing for Josh Hodgson to do: Scott Sattler: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=931961

Final call made on Josh Hodgson Wests Tigers move as Joey Leilua secures career lifeline: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4675703
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Josh Hodgson looks to be staying put

Post by Roy Rover »

greeneyed wrote:AUDIO: Why staying at the Canberra Raiders is the right thing for Josh Hodgson to do: Scott Sattler: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=931961

Final call made on Josh Hodgson Wests Tigers move as Joey Leilua secures career lifeline: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4675703
Why did you make me listen to Scott Sattler Image

He has zero insight or information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: November 20, 2021, 8:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 20, 2021, 4:43 pm Pity more clubs don't have the kahunas to freeze the prick out.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
This is what I don't get, its not just the raiders Issac Moses has screwed yet other clubs play ball with him.

Same with Sam Ayoub.

I actually thought 12months ago Hodgo had more brains/integrity then to be sucked into Moses games. Turns out I was wrong.

Its like dating a cheater, why do people think they wont cheat on them when they have cheated on their ex on the past?
Clubs need to agree not to work with these muppets.

As far as I know the only one left once Hodgo goes is Rapana ..
Cat where do you stand on a potential Nick Cotric return. Something the club should pursue or an opportunity to take a principled stand that we don’t sign him unless he drops Ayoub as manager?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I never understood why the Tigers were after him. Hodgo was never going to pull the Tigers out of their purgatory. They need to find their Kayln Ponga.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

the bone wrote:I never understood why the Tigers were after him. Hodgo was never going to pull the Tigers out of their purgatory. They need to find their Kayln Ponga.
A player to completely throw the coach under a bus?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Roy Rover wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:04 am
greeneyed wrote:AUDIO: Why staying at the Canberra Raiders is the right thing for Josh Hodgson to do: Scott Sattler: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=931961

What about that tackle though?!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

zim wrote: November 25, 2021, 4:16 pm

I want to live in the universe where Todd Byrne is a media personality.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

the bone wrote:I never understood why the Tigers were after him. Hodgo was never going to pull the Tigers out of their purgatory. They need to find their Kayln Ponga.
What like Ryan Papenhuzen(sp)?

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: November 25, 2021, 6:58 pm
What like Ryan Papenhuzen(sp)?

:roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gergreg wrote:
Sorry Boney I should provide a serious response. I think they were after Hodgson for leadership. They got Tamou but he's past it and lucky to squeeze out 35 minutes of gametime. Whenever things turn to custard for them, or Madge is giving them a spray every single player is looking sheepishly at their boots. Not one player is leading them. Brooks isn't a leader. Mybe was awful, Douehi looks promising but not quite there yet. I mean it is debatable that Hodgson is also past it but I think he would offer more leadership than Tamou.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

gergreg wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:43 pm
gergreg wrote:
Sorry Boney I should provide a serious response. I think they were after Hodgson for leadership. They got Tamou but he's past it and lucky to squeeze out 35 minutes of gametime. Whenever things turn to custard for them, or Madge is giving them a spray every single player is looking sheepishly at their boots. Not one player is leading them. Brooks isn't a leader. Mybe was awful, Douehi looks promising but not quite there yet. I mean it is debatable that Hodgson is also past it but I think he would offer more leadership than Tamou.
Buying someone purely for leadership isn’t going to cut it. Tamou is a good leader, he wasn’t able to help them. Tigers need to stop recruiting players that are past their best - BJ, Roberts, Tamou, Hodgson etc - and instead focus on finding a young stud that they can build their franchise around. Papenhuzen could’ve been that, but they let him go thinking they’d re-sign Teddy. Very poorly managed.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

the bone wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:43 pm
gergreg wrote:
Buying someone purely for leadership isn’t going to cut it. Tamou is a good leader, he wasn’t able to help them. Tigers need to stop recruiting players that are past their best - BJ, Roberts, Tamou, Hodgson etc - and instead focus on finding a young stud that they can build their franchise around. Papenhuzen could’ve been that, but they let him go thinking they’d re-sign Teddy. Very poorly managed.
I think we can disagree on the first point. A couple of times they leaked 30 points in a half of football. They needed an on-field leader to help stem that. You are right though, in that some of the recruitment decisions were very bad. They didn't need James Roberts or BJ.

I think they have a couple of decent players to build around. Laurie and Douehi are promising and they generally have decent juniors coming through. And that is a part of the reason they go after what they consider to be leaders.

The other tough thing to juggle is cap management. Clubs need to spend - it was either 90 or 95% of their salary cap, and that makes it really tough for those clubs near the bottom of the ladder, to attract decent players. I think this is how players like Mbye, W. Hopoate, BJ , Roberts continue to get (over-inflated) contracts. Clubs don't necessarily want to overpay those young, exceptional talents because it creates animosity within the playing group - or any workforce for that matter. The fans don't necessarily know how much each player is earning but I'm confident in saying that the players do.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I think the Raiders have done well with the Hodgo decision making over the off season. For a few reasons:

(1) Given we would not consider extending him at current value, it was the right thing to do to allow him to look for a longer deal. This is good for the playing group to see. It enhances the perception that we have the players and the families best interests in mind. This was especially important given the right mess we made of the G WIlliams situation last year.

(2) There was no reason for us to kick in too much for someone to take him. At his best he is a great hooker. He is not coming off a knee reco this year, and he will be very highly motivated playing for a new contract. Assuming he is physically ok - I expect we get the best of Hodgo in 2022.

And if not, we have proper $ to use how we see fit.

(3) His inflated sense of his own market value has now been corrected. I mean, the Tigers could have front ended a long term deal had they of wanted to. I would not even rule out that he re-signs mid year at a lower rate, with all parties happy.

This was smart pool all around, imo
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hodgson would have been a dud buy for the tigers.

But he'll serve us well.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

dubby wrote: November 28, 2021, 6:30 pm Hodgson would have been a dud buy for the tigers.

But he'll serve us well.
Yeah that’s how I see it too
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

As RichmondRaider pointed out, the biggest risk for us in Hodgo staying is the temptation for him to do too much. If Fogarty has the kahunas to take control, it could transform our entire attack.

No more dud kicks early in the set, rushing out of the line to take nobody in defence or cramping our halves for space thanks.

If he focuses on providing good service, judicious use of his short kicking game and getting our forwards on a roll, he'll be really good to have around.

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 29, 2021, 4:03 pm As RichmondRaider pointed out, the biggest risk for us in Hodgo staying is the temptation for him to do too much. If Fogarty has the kahunas to take control, it could transform our entire attack.

No more dud kicks early in the set, rushing out of the line to take nobody in defence or cramping our halves for space thanks.

If he focuses on providing good service, judicious use of his short kicking game and getting our forwards on a roll, he'll be really good to have around.

What would make you think he can do the opposite of what he’s done for most of his career through? I can’t see him magically just taking a back seat and suddenly being a team player after years of selfish (and at times boneheaded) play
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: November 29, 2021, 5:37 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 29, 2021, 4:03 pm As RichmondRaider pointed out, the biggest risk for us in Hodgo staying is the temptation for him to do too much. If Fogarty has the kahunas to take control, it could transform our entire attack.

What would make you think he can do the opposite of what he’s done for most of his career through? I can’t see him magically just taking a back seat and suddenly being a team player after years of selfish (and at times boneheaded) play
I understand Hodgson has his faults as a footballer, he’s not Cam Smith
However your crusade against virtually everyone and everything the club is or has done had tipped you well and truly over the edge of rational and reasonable posting

The way you speak about Hodgson, is as if he is a Matt Orford level signing, when the facts of the matter is he has been, for the VAST majority of his career here, arguably the best and most impactful footballer this club has had in nigh on two decades

We all want to get back to where we were in 2019… here’s a tip for you mate, where we were in 2019 was ONLY possible because of Josh Hodgson
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: November 29, 2021, 6:28 pm
Rickmando wrote: November 29, 2021, 5:37 pm

I understand Hodgson has his faults as a footballer, he’s not Cam Smith
However your crusade against virtually everyone and everything the club is or has done had tipped you well and truly over the edge of rational and reasonable posting

The way you speak about Hodgson, is as if he is a Matt Orford level signing, when the facts of the matter is he has been, for the VAST majority of his career here, arguably the best and most impactful footballer this club has had in nigh on two decades

We all want to get back to where we were in 2019… here’s a tip for you mate, where we were in 2019 was ONLY possible because of Josh Hodgson
With that kind of sentimentality driving your future recruitment and talent development decisions - are you sure you aren’t employed by the Football Department at the Raiders mate? The original title of this thread was about Hodgson in 2022 - why are we travelling back in time?
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Hodgson isn’t half the footballer Starling is these days. Unfortunately his ego and his pay packet would unlikely just let him accept that and suddenly become a #14 who is happy with his 0-20 mins per week (Rick’s bench tactics) that suddenly decides to stop over calling his halves, revokes his own kicking licence, and actually puts his shoulders into tackles!

I’m not even knocking him for doing the above! As a senior player it’s his right to insist he plays the way he does. But it’s the club’s job to acknowledge he will likely be a very over-paid under-deliverer in 2022. We weren’t able to offload him? No dramas, bring him back into the fold. But don’t magically expect him to suddenly be an improvement over the last two seasons, and don’t complain when Starling doesn’t reach his full potential or gets poached by another club who will make him their starting 9
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 25, 2021, 5:50 pm
zim wrote: November 25, 2021, 4:16 pm

I want to live in the universe where Todd Byrne is a media personality.
Todd Byrne was a close mate of mine growing up. I haven't seen him for a few years now, but you won't meet a better bloke then him (even if he did play for the roosters 😉)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Rickmando wrote:Hodgson isn’t half the footballer Starling is these days. Unfortunately his ego and his pay packet would unlikely just let him accept that and suddenly become a #14 who is happy with his 0-20 mins per week (Rick’s bench tactics) that suddenly decides to stop over calling his halves, revokes his own kicking licence, and actually puts his shoulders into tackles!

I’m not even knocking him for doing the above! As a senior player it’s his right to insist he plays the way he does. But it’s the club’s job to acknowledge he will likely be a very over-paid under-deliverer in 2022. We weren’t able to offload him? No dramas, bring him back into the fold. But don’t magically expect him to suddenly be an improvement over the last two seasons, and don’t complain when Starling doesn’t reach his full potential or gets poached by another club who will make him their starting 9
Anybody reading your posts would conclude that you absolutely hate this club and then they'd probably wonder what the hell you are doing on this forum.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

gergreg wrote: November 30, 2021, 6:52 am
Rickmando wrote:Hodgson isn’t half the footballer Starling is these days. Unfortunately his ego and his pay packet would unlikely just let him accept that and suddenly become a #14 who is happy with his 0-20 mins per week (Rick’s bench tactics) that suddenly decides to stop over calling his halves, revokes his own kicking licence, and actually puts his shoulders into tackles!

Anybody reading your posts would conclude that you absolutely hate this club and then they'd probably wonder what the hell you are doing on this forum.
Based on what? My dislike of the coach and a couple of senior players. You’re seeing what you want to see - plenty of praise for others on other threads.

I want this club to have success, I’m firm in my belief that we don’t get that success with Rick, Hodgo and Croker. And I’m not sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Rickmando wrote:

Based on what? My dislike of the coach and a couple of senior players. You’re seeing what you want to see - plenty of praise for others on other threads.

I want this club to have success, I’m firm in my belief that we don’t get that success with Rick, Hodgo and Croker. And I’m not sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
I'm not offended by your over the top hand wringing, about things you have no control over. It's quite entertaining, however it would be nice if you could threaten to burn your jerseys or something a little more dramatic.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

gergreg wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:23 pm
Rickmando wrote:

I'm not offended by your over the top hand wringing, about things you have no control over. It's quite entertaining, however it would be nice if you could threaten to burn your jerseys or something a little more dramatic.
Oh would you look at that - having an opinion on an Internet forum is now “over the top hand wringing”.

How’s that glass house of yours going by the way? Any rock-related breakage incidents by any chance? Hope it’s insured!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: November 30, 2021, 7:39 am

Yeah I’ve never understood the attitude that if you show anything other than total adoration for anyone in a green jumper you are not a fan. Like you, I’d also like to see this club successful again and I don’t see anything wrong with discussing and debating some of the reasons and players that are impeding that success.

It’s easy to shoot down Afghka for his views on Sezer, dismiss you as having a vendetta against Ricky or question my sanity for thinking Croker isn’t an immortal.

The long premiership drought and not making the finals last year is evidence that there are issues at the club. I prefer reading people’s views about what they might be than reading benign commentary from supporters with heads firmly in the sand.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think one of the points being made is that some people seem to only come on here to complain, but maybe don't seem to offer a great deal of praise or acknowledge good work when things are going well.

It's quite easy to have a whinge. We all do it. But it can get a bit tedious.

When that gets called out, a common reaction for many of those people is to suggest others are happy to accept mediocrity.

And on it goes. Good times.

Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2021, 3:07 pm I think one of the points being made is that some people seem to only come on here to complain, but maybe don't seem to offer a great deal of praise or acknowledge good work when things are going well.

When that gets called out, a common reaction for many of those people is to suggest others are happy to accept mediocrity.

I am literally on todays other active thread praising a recent ex-player and advocating for his return to the lime green.

As a part of this particular Hodgson discussion, I am championing Starling as a future rep player (the crux of my argument to send Hodgo packing, funnily enough).

As I pointed out earlier, it’s others who are focusing on the negative commentary here. It’s easy to knock, but whatever. I’m all about vigorous discussion. The great shame about this place is that if you dare have an alternative opinion, or take a pop at a protected species, everyone slams you as a troll.

Believe me, if you want a raiders premiership, then we want the same thing. All we are disagreeing on is how to get there
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rickmando wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2021, 3:07 pm I think one of the points being made is that some people seem to only come on here to complain, but maybe don't seem to offer a great deal of praise or acknowledge good work when things are going well.

I am literally on todays other active thread praising a recent ex-player and advocating for his return to the lime green.

As a part of this particular Hodgson discussion, I am championing Starling as a future rep player (the crux of my argument to send Hodgo packing, funnily enough).

As I pointed out earlier, it’s others who are focusing on the negative commentary here. It’s easy to knock, but whatever. I’m all about vigorous discussion. The great shame about this place is that if you dare have an alternative opinion, or take a pop at a protected species, everyone slams you as a troll.

Believe me, if you want a raiders premiership, then we want the same thing. All we are disagreeing on is how to get there
Yep, totally get it. Just adding my 2 cents to an age old debate, trying to figure out why some people get irritated.

I was slamming Hodgo big time before he got injured in 2020. He is his own worst enemy at times. I agree with the comments you have made on him and others.

I also totally agree that we all want success and have our own views on how that might be facilitated. Keeps the debate interesting.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I guess it's a fine line between expressing an opinion and flogging a dead horse.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It’s genuinely hilarious to me that people think that you’re not allowed to have differing opinions on this site.

The entire premise and success of the site is people don’t agree and argue constantly, to the point of absurdity (and I lead the charge on that front)

If you’re not comfortable having your opinions questions or comfortable being in a minority with your view without feeling some way about it, that’s a you problem
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with differing opinions, expressing it and debating it. But there comes a point where criticism of the club, coach or certain players gets pretty **** boring. Honestly, what does typing up 'Ricky Stuart / Croker / Hodgson is crap' on a daily basis add to the forum?

We all get it. We had a bad year where Croker and Hodgson were very ordinary and Ricky got a lot wrong but there is some very short memories ... in forums in general.

If you look at rugby league in the NRL era, as a small sample size, the best player in the game is different almost every season. There is this unrealistic expectation that players are robots and should be playing a 10/10 game every week, every season of their careers. It just doesn't happen.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

This forum needs a feature where if the ad hominem comes out with the careful dissection of respective posts for more than n comments, the combatants are diverted to their own Twilight zone thread to hash it out all without knowing it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: November 30, 2021, 8:29 pm It’s genuinely hilarious to me that people think that you’re not allowed to have differing opinions on this site.

The entire premise and success of the site is people don’t agree and argue constantly, to the point of absurdity (and I lead the charge on that front)

If you’re not comfortable having your opinions questions or comfortable being in a minority with your view without feeling some way about it, that’s a you problem
Couldn’t agree more Bot - I reckon you and I have found ourselves on the opposite site of things on more than the odd occasion over the years and have butted heads here and there. But it’s never personal and I enjoy the spirited debate. I actually agree with your views more often than not but importantly I appreciate that you’re wiling to have an opinion, have a go at defending it and don’t just peddle some warped view that every person and thing associated with the raiders is beyond question and must be fawned over.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah Botman's a real ****