All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

Post by zim »

I knew it was the fans! All this time it was staring us straight in the face. I know which particular fanman is mostly responsible too.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Rickmando wrote: June 7, 2022, 10:18 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 7, 2022, 9:28 am
Rickmando wrote: June 7, 2022, 9:04 am
Botman wrote: June 6, 2022, 9:05 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 6, 2022, 4:00 pm

Scratch that, it makes them grossly incompetent.
Your first season as a raiders fan, m8?
I would say "gross incompetence" might be a fair summary of most of our last 20 years... you said "we already know the Knights are." and i say why do you think we're any better?

We absolutely were going to do what you describe there, it’s just the Knights saved our bacon by coming in with more $$$’s. Can our strategy really just be hoping there are 15 clubs more incompetent than we are? We won’t get so lucky next time.

Do you have any evidence for this statement, or is it just made up to fit your usual hatreds?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: June 7, 2022, 1:01 pm I knew it was the fans! All this time it was staring us straight in the face. I know which particular fanman is mostly responsible too.
It's a great line isnt it, it's so **** dumb too

You can imagine Donny calling Stick into his office and sitting down and opening with "well, it was a good run Stick... we did some real dumb **** and got away with it for so long, but the fans have said no more, they dont want to accept this mediocrity any longer, so i guess we're going to have go get serious and try and win a comp now... We had a hell of a run though, Rick. Hell of a run!"
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I don.t believe I "celebrate mediocrity" , but even in the worst of games there are moments that bring enjoyment to me, a clever pass, a good tackle or a thrilling run. When I see these moments I go home feeling that I have been entertained. Winning brings evengreater enjoyment of course, mostly because there are more of the thrilling moments. As a competitive person winning means a lot to me, but my life or demeanour does not live or die according to the fortunes of the Raiders.
I was blessed to be around for the Glory Days of 1987 t0 crca 1995. They were wonderful days, great entertainment was almost guaranteed every week and I lapped it up. But I was also around in the3 early days from 1982 till 1987. Not much winning in that period, but some of my favourite memories of the Raiders come from that period, players like David Grant, Jay Hoffman and Chris O'Sullivan. I was also there for the darker days of the post Glory Days and again for the mini glories of 2016 to the present. I wouldnt have missed it all for quids!
The Raiders have provided me with plenty of entertainment over the years, even when some of you were celebrating mediocrity.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Yep, mostly a bunch of happy clapping Rick-heads.

“Oh but we nearly won a GF in 2019!”
“Rick deserves another decade because he’s a club legend!”
“We just can’t attract players because they don’t like the cold!”
“The NRL has it in for us - we’d be a powerhouse if only we got a few ref calls!”
“I don’t care whether we win or lose as long as we get to do the Viking clap and Croker kicks a few more goals to close in on the point scoring record!”

Tell it again guys
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Cranky Old Man wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:25 pm I don.t believe I "celebrate mediocrity" , but even in the worst of games there are moments that bring enjoyment to me, a clever pass, a good tackle or a thrilling run. When I see these moments I go home feeling that I have been entertained. Winning brings evengreater enjoyment of course, mostly because there are more of the thrilling moments. As a competitive person winning means a lot to me, but my life or demeanour does not live or die according to the fortunes of the Raiders.
I was blessed to be around for the Glory Days of 1987 t0 crca 1995. They were wonderful days, great entertainment was almost guaranteed every week and I lapped it up. But I was also around in the3 early days from 1982 till 1987. Not much winning in that period, but some of my favourite memories of the Raiders come from that period, players like David Grant, Jay Hoffman and Chris O'Sullivan. I was also there for the darker days of the post Glory Days and again for the mini glories of 2016 to the present. I wouldnt have missed it all for quids!
The Raiders have provided me with plenty of entertainment over the years, even when some of you were celebrating mediocrity.
Yeah there's a big gap between finding joy in the raiders and "celebrating mediocrity". I think you'll find most on here are capable of appreciating what we do well while understanding that there's change needed. I'd wager there's very few on here that haven't talked about getting rid of Sticky several times while he's been here.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

zim wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:38 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:25 pm I don.t believe I "celebrate mediocrity" , but even in the worst of games there are moments that bring enjoyment to me, a clever pass, a good tackle or a thrilling run. When I see these moments I go home feeling that I have been entertained. Winning brings evengreater enjoyment of course, mostly because there are more of the thrilling moments. As a competitive person winning means a lot to me, but my life or demeanour does not live or die according to the fortunes of the Raiders.
Yeah there's a big gap between finding joy in the raiders and "celebrating mediocrity". I think you'll find most on here are capable of appreciating what we do well while understanding that there's change needed. I'd wager there's very few on here that haven't talked about getting rid of Sticky several times while he's been here.
It seems that ditching Rick is a big thing to many of the posters here. I wonder who they have in mind to replace him. Perhaps Peptides, late of Cronulla, he seems largely unemployed lately. Who else is there? What is the reasonable expectation that a currently unemployed coach might outperform Rick? I note that Brown is leaving the Warriors, Tigers might sack their guy soon also. Easy to talk about sackings, replacements are harder to pick. Perhaps Hodgson?
Disclosure. Rick is a relative of mine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:27 pm Yep, mostly a bunch of happy clapping Rick-heads.

“The NRL has it in for us - we’d be a powerhouse if only we got a few ref calls!”
“I don’t care whether we win or lose as long as we get to do the Viking clap and Croker kicks a few more goals to close in on the point scoring record!”

Tell it again guys
I also particularly enjoy the passion underpinning the despised signing that is promoted to club legend and 2 moderately above average only to be disowned and discredited when he falls foul of the law or gets homesick for somewhere.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@CrankyOldMan Tigers have sacked Maguire today.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You dont have to go to the local Centrelink and pick a new coach from there, Cranky
In fact most coaches hired aren't unemployed. They're highly respected and valued members of current successful teams.

There are assistant coaches around the league right now who who are waiting for their opportunity to show they can be successful NRL head coaches. If we were to move on from Stuart (and we wont btw, of that im very sure) then its up to us to identify the right coach.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: June 7, 2022, 8:12 pm
Rickmando wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:27 pm Yep, mostly a bunch of happy clapping Rick-heads.

Tell it again guys
I also particularly enjoy the passion underpinning the despised signing that is promoted to club legend and 2 moderately above average only to be disowned and discredited when he falls foul of the law or gets homesick for somewhere.
Why on earth would you enjoy that?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cranky Old Man wrote: Disclosure. Rick is a relative of mine.
Me too! If you go back enough generations…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2022, 8:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 7, 2022, 8:12 pm

Tell it again guys
Why on earth would you enjoy that?
Preferred your first draft on this post.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Cranky Old Man wrote: June 7, 2022, 8:10 pm
zim wrote: June 7, 2022, 7:38 pm
It seems that ditching Rick is a big thing to many of the posters here. I wonder who they have in mind to replace him. Perhaps Peptides, late of Cronulla, he seems largely unemployed lately. Who else is there? What is the reasonable expectation that a currently unemployed coach might outperform Rick? I note that Brown is leaving the Warriors, Tigers might sack their guy soon also. Easy to talk about sackings, replacements are harder to pick. Perhaps Hodgson?
Disclosure. Rick is a relative of mine.
Geez I hope people aren't placing their hopes on Flanagan. That guy shouldn't be near anything to do with league.

Of the recent leavings Maguire would be the best choice but I can't see him doing better.
Looking for the "next best thing" would require going to England or rolling the dice on an unknown assistant.
Sometimes organisations just need to sack a coach to get the change to happen. I can't remember if I was at that point at the end of 2018 or had a specific replacement in mind but that's definitely a period I thought it was time for change.

I think what ultimately happens is Rick will get to call time when he wants.
The way the season is now shaping we should make the 8 and be set up for a better run next season. Hopefully taking the lessons learnt this year into the start of the season.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Today I firmly believe Slater would be our best option. Amazing footy mind, career player in the beat system around, would attract players, would potentially like a gig somewhat out of the Sydney/Brisbane media bubble, everyone who’s played with him says he was practically an assistant coach, and the fact that when you get a coaching gig at Canberra you are practically guaranteed a long stay regardless of performance means he could have time to learn the trade.

Tomorrow after origin I might have a different view!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Not sure how this thread turned into a "which coach can replace Stuart" one but I guess they all do eventually as all roads lead to the coach being the problem :P

And I would happily roll the dice on an unknown over sticking with something that is bog average.

It's like playing blackjack, you've hit 17, sure statistically getting another card has a good chance to bust you, but are you ever going to win sitting on a **** 17? Sometimes you have to risk it for the biscuit.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think Billy Slater would be a good option. All these clubs are going now as they don’t want to miss the merry go round. The Raiders will no doubt still be queuing up after everyone has jumped on and off. The least proactive club in the competition.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who is available? Brown, Maguire, Barrett... pass on all of them - maybe Maguire as an assistant but he strikes me as a very similar coach to Ricky.

Assistants. Ciraldo, Ryles.

Qcup - Walker brothers

Eng - Wane, Wolfe

I've been wondering for a long time why we don't go for Bellamy - he is the one that could change this club. But if we sacked Ricky he wouldn't come. Ricky would have to be the one to get him here.

Agree with Coastal, maybe Slater is worth a punt, or Smith? It's too soon for Hodgson. Maybe in 5 - 10 years.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 7, 2022, 11:01 pm Who is available? Brown, Maguire, Barrett... pass on all of them - maybe Maguire as an assistant but he strikes me as a very similar coach to Ricky.

Assistants. Ciraldo, Ryles.

Qcup - Walker brothers

Eng - Wane, Wolfe

I've been wondering for a long time why we don't go for Bellamy - he is the one that could change this club. But if we sacked Ricky he wouldn't come. Ricky would have to be the one to get him here.

Agree with Coastal, maybe Slater is worth a punt, or Smith? It's too soon for Hodgson. Maybe in 5 - 10 years.
Cameron Smith could be a good option, I’d prefer Billy Slater.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Not sure I'd be too keen on Slater after losing origin 3 zip.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

zim wrote: June 7, 2022, 11:40 pm Not sure I'd be too keen on Slater after losing origin 3 zip.
Origin coach is not the same as a club coach. Meninga will go down as the greatest origin coach of all time while simultaneously being one of the worst club level coaches. They are entirely different skill sets. Origin is all about getting the best out of amazing players in a team which don't play together often. You pick a team of the best players out there and just motivate them, get them to want to play for each other and make sure you don't stuff up the bench rotation too badly.

At a club level you have to manage the roster with-in the salary cap, make sure you have your eye on the level below for people to promote, other teams on who to steal, players you can offload, ones you need to trade in... Suspensions, pay, long term and short term plans. How you approach the season, which players you want to play where or even convert from a centre to a 5/8, you need to manage their weight, mental status, off field stuff, what training they will do in the off season, contracts, who to hire, who to fire... Do you need to hire someone to help your goal kicker, your hooker, do you have the skills yourself to turn this junior halfback into a star and so on and so on... Sure there is a bit of cross over still like bench rotation and game plans but really it's still pretty different...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So..Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ultima wrote:Not sure how this thread turned into a "which coach can replace Stuart" one but I guess they all do eventually as all roads lead to the coach being the problem :P

And I would happily roll the dice on an unknown over sticking with something that is bog average.

It's like playing blackjack, you've hit 17, sure statistically getting another card has a good chance to bust you, but are you ever going to win sitting on a **** 17? Sometimes you have to risk it for the biscuit.
Wot. Statistically speaking you should NEVER hit on a 17 unless it’s a soft 17.

What a bizarre analogy.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Christ we'd become the grubbiest team in history if Billy Slater coached.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ultima wrote: June 8, 2022, 2:06 am
zim wrote: June 7, 2022, 11:40 pm Not sure I'd be too keen on Slater after losing origin 3 zip.
Origin coach is not the same as a club coach. Meninga will go down as the greatest origin coach of all time while simultaneously being one of the worst club level coaches. They are entirely different skill sets. Origin is all about getting the best out of amazing players in a team which don't play together often. You pick a team of the best players out there and just motivate them, get them to want to play for each other and make sure you don't stuff up the bench rotation too badly.

At a club level you have to manage the roster with-in the salary cap, make sure you have your eye on the level below for people to promote, other teams on who to steal, players you can offload, ones you need to trade in... Suspensions, pay, long term and short term plans. How you approach the season, which players you want to play where or even convert from a centre to a 5/8, you need to manage their weight, mental status, off field stuff, what training they will do in the off season, contracts, who to hire, who to fire... Do you need to hire someone to help your goal kicker, your hooker, do you have the skills yourself to turn this junior halfback into a star and so on and so on... Sure there is a bit of cross over still like bench rotation and game plans but really it's still pretty different...
Definitely a lot more to handle at club level. Maybe he would start by coming in as an assistant for a year?
My comment was just trying to stir GE up.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

AE starting again this week. Almost as if the club rates him as an NRL player and that's the reason they wanted to re-sign him.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 8, 2022, 1:14 pm AE starting again this week. Almost as if the club rates him as an NRL player and that's the reason they wanted to re-sign him.
not really sure what point you're trying to make here ed. i mean he's playing really well. the only way we wouldnt start him would be if ricky was feeling particularly petty. it was no secret we wanted to re-sign, it's also no secret we didn't want a bidding war.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

eh, the teams winning, he's put in some pretty good performances, he wasnt far off POTY votes for me last week, and Stuart doesnt like changing winning teams... so yeah he'll hold his spot in that circumstance

Id wager he's going to have a very short rope though, if his form drops or the team hits a 2-3 week losing streak, he'll be one of the very first the axe swings on imo
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote: June 8, 2022, 1:26 pm eh, the teams winning, he's put in some pretty good performances, he wasnt far off POTY votes for me last week, and Stuart doesnt like changing winning teams... so yeah he'll hold his spot in that circumstance

Id wager he's going to have a very short rope though, if his form drops or the team hits a 2-3 week losing streak, he'll be one of the very first the axe swings on imo
and fair enough too. much like when we were full strength at round 1 sutton didn't get a spot. we need to be cementing combinations and working out what we got for next season and beyond. at the moment no point in changing a winning thing, but i agree his spot shouldnt be safe.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider Azz wrote: June 8, 2022, 1:22 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 8, 2022, 1:14 pm AE starting again this week. Almost as if the club rates him as an NRL player and that's the reason they wanted to re-sign him.
not really sure what point you're trying to make here ed. i mean he's playing really well. the only way we wouldnt start him would be if ricky was feeling particularly petty. it was no secret we wanted to re-sign, it's also no secret we didn't want a bidding war.
Just that the reason the club had a crack at re-signing him was because they rate him. Not tinfoil NRLW theories. Some here mentioned he'd be dropped as soon as we missed out on Millie, that myth has been busted.

Agree he has been good. Makes his tackles and has been adding a bit with ball in hand too. That was a mongrel of a play the ball he had on the weekend trying to milk a penalty though :lol:
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Indeed my kind friends a ball playing lock of this caliber doesn’t grow on trees, with the kind of personality that could lift a club , right when we need lifting ,that is a fine victory dance he performs amongst friends ,what could have been, did the bullying tip him over the edge towards Newcastle ?

Ask yourself the question before the one way mirror friends, whose fault is this? Do not turn away now
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Joshjacksonshead wrote:Indeed my kind friends a ball playing lock of this caliber doesn’t grow on trees, with the kind of personality that could lift a club , right when we need lifting ,that is a fine victory dance he performs amongst friends ,what could have been, did the bullying tip him over the edge towards Newcastle ?

Ask yourself the question before the one way mirror friends, whose fault is this? Do not turn away now
we can only hope straight critique helped drive him out

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dear God what a boring thread.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Rusty Crowe
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Rusty Crowe »

Question wrote: June 9, 2022, 4:07 pm Dear God what a boring thread.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
I agree mate. Time to unleash hell on this thread.
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Agreed, amazing what happens when one stands up to bullies, however we will always be friends!