Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

Post by President Clinton »

Kris and Timoko are going to be very good centres in a season or two. I think we are well stocked in those positions, particularly when you consider HSS for 2023.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: August 1, 2022, 10:56 am This is the best he's ever played - and it's decent FG footy. Not a star, but a strong contributor.

The club has been good for him and he's played well for us. Shouldn't be any hard feelings. But it's always a risk for a player to move on when you are finally producing good football somewhere. Heading back to a bottom 4 team could see him go backwards Dogs and Cotric style again.
Yeah, he's been around the NRL for 8 years now. Been very good the last couple of months. Remains to be seen if he can continue at this level with the Knights or revert back to what he's delivered the previous 7 years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

After Tapine he has been our most consistent player this season
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2022, 2:25 pm
BadnMean wrote: August 1, 2022, 10:56 am This is the best he's ever played - and it's decent FG footy. Not a star, but a strong contributor.

The club has been good for him and he's played well for us. Shouldn't be any hard feelings. But it's always a risk for a player to move on when you are finally producing good football somewhere. Heading back to a bottom 4 team could see him go backwards Dogs and Cotric style again.
Yeah, he's been around the NRL for 8 years now. Been very good the last couple of months. Remains to be seen if he can continue at this level with the Knights or revert back to what he's delivered the previous 7 years.
Indeed.
I appreciate what Elliott is doing. He's playing well, giving us good service and he's moving on to a club willing to pay him the money he's getting because that club doesnt have guys like Ruston and Mooney waiting for their shot. Good for everyone and yeah as BadnMean said, no hard feelings. And in fact i give him all the credit in the world for playing at a level i didnt think he was capable of. So big time kudos to him.

But as i said in the signing speculation thread, this time next year we should have Mooney and/or Ruston playing a lot of FG minutes and when posters get a good look at those guys, i think they'll understand why the club was ok with not over paying to keep him at the club. They've got a lot of faith in our next crop of middle forwards and i think they're completely justified in that faith.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2022, 2:25 pm

Indeed.
I appreciate what Elliott is doing. He's playing well, giving us good service and he's moving on to a club willing to pay him the money he's getting because that club doesnt have guys like Ruston and Mooney waiting for their shot. Good for everyone and yeah as BadnMean said, no hard feelings. And in fact i give him all the credit in the world for playing at a level i didnt think he was capable of. So big time kudos to him.

But as i said in the signing speculation thread, this time next year we should have Mooney and/or Ruston playing a lot of FG minutes and when posters get a good look at those guys, i think they'll understand why the club was ok with not over paying to keep him at the club. They've got a lot of faith in our next crop of middle forwards and i think they're completely justified in that faith.
Yep, totally agree.

Elliott has hit a rare vein of form, perhaps inspired to show a few people up. I wish him all the best at the Knight. They need all the help they can get.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 3:30 pm After Tapine he has been our most consistent player this season
Thats a fair assessment. Would probably throw Hudson Young and Seb Kris in there too. In a season where the whole team has been dogged by inconsistent performances, those guys have done a good job on a weekly basis.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Been good since the rocky start and constant media Appearances ended. Someone you'd only want 1 year at a time contract, any longer and i think he goes back to his dog days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Despite what a lot of people saying Elliott had some cracking games for the Bulldogs.. He wasn't consistent at all but definitely not as bad as he is being made out to be.
His reputation had peoples minds made up already I guess
Last edited by Raiders666 on August 1, 2022, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2022, 4:05 pm
Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 3:30 pm After Tapine he has been our most consistent player this season
Thats a fair assessment. Would probably throw Hudson Young and Seb Kris in there too. In a season where the whole team has been dogged by inconsistent performances, those guys have done a good job on a weekly basis.
I think there's a bit of recency bias, and it overlooks the early part of Elliott's season, probably the first six weeks. Then there were games playing at hooker... he's not a hooker, so kudos for him filling in when needed though. Hudson Young much more consistent in my view. But Elliott has been playing very well since about a third of the way into the season.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Wasn't Hudson dropped for poor form ? Or was that last year? Can't recall
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 5:05 pm Wasn't Hudson dropped for poor form ? Or was that last year? Can't recall
He was dropped for one week. Incorrectly in my view... but it is the coach's view that counts. It was something about how he needed a rest, so he played NSW Cup!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 5:05 pm Wasn't Hudson dropped for poor form ? Or was that last year? Can't recall
He was dropped for one week. Incorrectly in my view... but it is the coach's view that counts. It was something about how he needed a rest, so he played NSW Cup!
toe injury but wanted him to play some minutes.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders666 wrote:Despite what a lot of people saying Elliott had some cracking games for the Bulldogs.. He wasn't consistent at all but definitely not as bad as he is being made out to be.
He was ordinary in 2020 and 2021. Of course it's not the be all and end all but I watched him closely because I had him in my NRL CEO comp and he was throwing up some really good numbers before 2020, then dropped off.

I know you're a glass half kind of guy Image but I'd like to think the collective GH doubters played a pivotal role in Adam's turnaround in form. I'd really like him to acknowledge the excellent motivation work we have all put in, to turnaround his form which in turn has yielded a very healthy contract. I'm sure Adam will use some of his new-found wealth to make a significant financial contribution to the GH.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

:lol:
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

gergreg wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:Despite what a lot of people saying Elliott had some cracking games for the Bulldogs.. He wasn't consistent at all but definitely not as bad as he is being made out to be.
He was ordinary in 2020 and 2021. Of course it's not the be all and end all but I watched him closely because I had him in my NRL CEO comp and he was throwing up some really good numbers before 2020, then dropped off.

I know you're a glass half kind of guy Image but I'd like to think the collective GH doubters played a pivotal role in Adam's turnaround in form. I'd really like him to acknowledge the excellent motivation work we have all put in, to turnaround his form which in turn has yielded a very healthy contract. I'm sure Adam will use some of his new-found wealth to make a significant financial contribution to the GH.
I think it ties more into his performances got better once he stopped quoting accient chinese proverbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 4:58 pm Despite what a lot of people saying Elliott had some cracking games for the Bulldogs.. He wasn't consistent at all but definitely not as bad as he is being made out to be.
Agreed. He was caned mainly because of the team he played for. I've banged on about that a bit lately but league fans in general really struggle in evaluating individual players without defaulting to team success or lack thereof.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Elliott was defensively quite poor at the Dogs, but yes, that can obviously be impacted by who's lining up beside you in defence.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:

The JJH scholarship to support upcoming new posters
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:

The JJH scholarship to support upcoming new posters
That's a cracking idea gangers. Now walk with me here a moment.

The theme of the scholarship could be a poster who may or may not have posted some quality a few years back - it's fairly split on this one. Then they go through a lean trot where their posting form drops from that previously debated average level. Then completely out of nowhere they bounce back into some pretty good form.

If we're being honest here gangers you fit that criteria pretty damn closely .... except for the regaining of some pretty good form bit ... but there's still a bit of time this year to right the ship mate. Image
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: August 1, 2022, 6:13 pm
Raiders666 wrote: August 1, 2022, 4:58 pm Despite what a lot of people saying Elliott had some cracking games for the Bulldogs.. He wasn't consistent at all but definitely not as bad as he is being made out to be.
Agreed. He was caned mainly because of the team he played for. I've banged on about that a bit lately but league fans in general really struggle in evaluating individual players without defaulting to team success or lack thereof.
Big part of why Freddie should be immediately punted from the job of NSW coach, he needs to be smarter than that (e.g. Ado Carr)

On Elliot, I agree he's going well at the moment and adding value. We saw that in his early days at the Dogs, before he fell off a cliff. Wouldnt be surprised if that happened again.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote: The JJH scholarship to support upcoming new posters
That's a cracking idea gangers. Now walk with me here a moment.

The theme of the scholarship could be a poster who may or may not have posted some quality a few years back - it's fairly split on this one. Then they go through a lean trot where their posting form drops from that previously debated average level. Then completely out of nowhere they bounce back into some pretty good form.

If we're being honest here gangers you fit that criteria pretty damn closely .... except for the regaining of some pretty good form bit ... but there's still a bit of time this year to right the ship mate. Image
I’m spending all my scholarship money already in anticipation!

Probably on some sort of elaborate booby trap for you gerg you cheeky bugger Image

*googles lime green glitter bomb that delivers to ACT*
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Couldn’t agree more with this. This notion on here that he was a talentless workhorse was so wrong. Dogs fans couldn’t stand him because as you said, he was inconsistent and made poor errors (and rightly so). He always had the leg speed and power required to be a pretty good forward.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:

Couldn’t agree more with this. This notion on here that he was a talentless workhorse was so wrong. Dogs fans couldn’t stand him because as you said, he was inconsistent and made poor errors (and rightly so). He always had the leg speed and power required to be a pretty good forward.
Bulldogs got consecutive spoons and Adam was repeatedly dropped for poor performances. Stop trying to sugar coat it.

He wasn't good enough then, but is playing pretty bloody well now.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

gergreg wrote: August 3, 2022, 10:53 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote:

Bulldogs got consecutive spoons and Adam was repeatedly dropped for poor performances. Stop trying to sugar coat it.

He wasn't good enough then, but is playing pretty bloody well now.
Sugar coat what?

I’m trying to make a case that he always had some talent but wasn’t executing at the Bulldogs. I agree that overall his performances were mostly poor. Yes, he was dropped and deservedly so. But it wasn’t because he was a plodder. Like I said, he was inconsistent and made some bad errors on and off the field. It was obvious he had some talent but wasn’t putting it all together. Much like Young and CHN over the last couple of years.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hope the lad isn’t too distracted this week.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Great player, Clyde like.........snzzzz..thud.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: August 5, 2022, 8:06 pm Great player, Clyde like.........snzzzz..thud.

Clydesdale like
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I did not want him to join us. He was inconsistent at the Dogs and his off field antics left a lot to be desired. At the time, I thought we had another Curtis Scott.

But, he has actually been quiet good for us. Some games his energy and effort have actually been notable. Especially as a 13. So credit where its due. He has exceeded my expectations.

But, I do see pig's point. This is as good as he gets. Frankly, what he's dishing up now is good enough. Not a world beater but doing enough to make a positive difference to our side.

If he replicates this form at a Newcastle team bereft of halves and a decent anything I will be surprised. Newy are a dogs breakfast. The things we do for love.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Way to much thought into that dubz on the topic.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Reading a lot of comments to the effect of:

“I was totally wrong about all my previous judgements on the bloke and he is considerably better than I anticipated but trust me this is as good as he gets because I’m an expert on these things”
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Some further Adam Elliot news related to Michael Lichia’s wife emerging.

Sensational twist in ex-NRL star Michael Lichaa’s DV case: https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... cf12a0fcf1

Huge court decision for ex-NRL star Michael Lichaa: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 25133e8fac

Former Bulldogs NRL star almost bled to death when he punched a window: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/a ... mmate.html
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hence my earlier comment scoop. No new news that I can see but possibly an unsettling week for the great man. Lichia reportedly losing 2.5 ltrs of blood would have taken a bit to clean up!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

At the end of the day Elliott is one drink too many from another headline nudity act
He isnt the type of guy to turn his life around
Vaccinated
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

cat wrote: August 5, 2022, 11:53 pm At the end of the day Elliott is one drink too many from another headline nudity act
:lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: August 5, 2022, 11:53 pm At the end of the day Elliott is one drink too many from another headline nudity act
Geez that’s harsh Cat - especially when all indications suggest he’s doing great on and off the field.