Brits risk financial disaster

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

www.news.com.au

By Dean Rtichie in Manchester
November 1, 2005

THE English Rugby Football League stands to lose about $1 million if struggling Great Britain misses the Tri-Nations final with the home side's campaign already derailing.

Team selection drama and players crumbling under the strain have placed Great Britain under intense pressure for Saturday night's Test match against Australia at JJB Stadium, Wigan.

British officials are horrified at the prospect of their team - beaten 42-26 by New Zealand on Saturday night in London - missing a place in the November 26 final at Elland Road, Leeds.

There is no way the stadium would sell out to watch an Australia-New Zealand final.

And Great Britain missing the decider would damage television ratings, merchandising and sponsorship.

Sources in England claim a final without Great Britain could cost the RFL close to $1 million.

Critics and media in England were dumbfounded British coach Brian Noble failed to start Sydney Roosters ironman Adrian Morley against the Kiwis.

They were even more shocked when Morley was not introduced early when New Zealand were trampling the home side up front.

And the form of winger Brian Carney, to play with Newcastle next season then Gold Coast in 2007, is also a concern.

Carney missed tackles, dropped bombs and threw erratic passes in a disappointing display.

Asked about Morley, Australian coach Wayne Bennett said: "I don't know their thinking but we were all surprised not to see Morley start."

Former Test hooker and Australian team manager Steve Walters added: "Morley certainly went well when he came on."

Bennett conceded Wigan winger Carney can expect more pressure from Australia this weekend.

"The winger had a bit of a nightmare. He may not be there [for the Australian Test]. I don't know," Bennett said.

Walters said Carney had an "off night".

Noble also came under question for choosing Kevin Sinfield at five-eighth despite him playing lock for Leeds.

Yesterday was the quietest day yet on tour for the Kangaroos.

The squad had a free morning before assembling just before lunch for the five-hour journey north to Manchester.

Management have planned a meeting today between the team and members of the Manchester United football side.

Bennett said Great Britain was unlucky to be behind 24-8 at halftime against the Kiwis.

"It [the match] reminded me how cruel the game can be - they were down 18-0 without having done anything wrong," Bennett said.

"They didn't have any field position."

Bennett was critical of Kiwi referee Glen Black, who allowed players to lay all over each other in the ruck area.

"I can understand the frustration there - it was lucky there weren't more fights," he said.

The Daily Telegraph