Sportspeople that you admire

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I was listening to a podcast interview of Patty Mills yesterday. God damn he was impressive. For someone in his position he was grounded and genuine. His passion for the Boomers was unbelievable, and he is a strong advocate and role model for indigenous Australians.

Kurt Fearnley is another athlete I really admire. Not only a phenomenonal athlete, but comes across as a genuine country boy, a strong advocate for people with disabilities and an ambassador for the NDIS.

While it's true that we need talented players, not good blokes, it's great to see a few talented athletes who are good blokes and not all Dugans.

Anyone else come to mind?
Last edited by Dr Zaius on August 29, 2021, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Sportspeople that you admire

Post by gangrenous »

Alan Tongue!

David Pocock is another that springs to mind.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Alan Tongue and Meninga are awesome. Love em.

People like Cliff Young and that armless Table Tennis player are absolutely inspirational.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Chris Long

Was drafted 2nd overall, never quite lived up to that hype but had a very good long career, which culminated in an eagles SB season in which he made a ton of important plays. He stood side by side with Malcom Jenkins with his hand on his shoulder at the beginning of the BLM movement. Has been a strong advocate for social reform and most importantly he's started up an organisation called Waterboys, where he and a bunch of sports related people raise money to deliver clean drinkable water to communities in need. His father is a HOF former NFL player with a cushy media gig. He grew very advantaged and has never let himself lose sight of those less fortunate.

A guy who impacted my sporting fandom greatly and is having such an overwhelming positive impact on the earth
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Alex Zanardi. The guy who got me into Motor Racing, particularly Indy Car. One of the nicest, most genuine guys off the track. He would donate a decent chunk of his winnings to children’s hospitals. But as soon as the helmet was on, he was one of the most intense drivers.

Early 2000’s he suffers a horrific racing accident where he loses both his legs. Goes through intense rehab, and returned to car racing using a modified setup. He also got into Handcycling, where he became a 4 time Paralympic Gold Medalist.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

In 2016 I was lucky enough to meet Turia Pitt. Amazing woman. Suffered so much but such an inspirational person and so nice.

I think Pat Rafter was a wonderful role model and champion.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Carl Lewis.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Terry Fox
Into the Wind
His life and story captured the drive and determination to never give up no matter the obstacles you face.

Philippe Petit
Man on Wire
If there was ever a man that I could meet it would be this man.The beauty of his feat is as unbeatable and is a triumph of pure,restless Darwinian humanity and how I remember the twin towers
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

This guy :clap:

Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

John Smit. He will find ways to lift you no matter what. The guy knew how to get in the heads of the All Blacks when no one else could. Things like wearing track pants out to the haka. Gave them time to come together again as a team, look at each other, talk their goals through, pause a bit and let the impact of what they saw mellow out and transform into focus for them. Clean sweeped them in 2009 and only lost one game to the Wallabies to win that series. All history now but good times.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Mr Squiggle wrote: September 26, 2021, 3:40 pm This guy :clap:

"Rugba leeg"

Brought a tear to the eye. He knows the correct pronunciation even.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Dr Zaius wrote:I was listening to a podcast interview of Patty Mills yesterday. God damn he was impressive. For someone in his position he was grounded and genuine. His passion for the Boomers was unbelievable, and he is a strong advocate and role model for indigenous Australians.

Kurt Fearnley is another athlete I really admire. Not only a phenomenonal athlete, but comes across as a genuine country boy, a strong advocate for people with disabilities and an ambassador for the NDIS.

While it's true that we need talented players, not good blokes, it's great to see a few talented athletes who are good blokes and not all Dugans.

What was the name of the Patty Mills podcast? Would love to listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

RTW wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I was listening to a podcast interview of Patty Mills yesterday. God damn he was impressive. For someone in his position he was grounded and genuine. His passion for the Boomers was unbelievable, and he is a strong advocate and role model for indigenous Australians.

What was the name of the Patty Mills podcast? Would love to listen to it.

Enjoy
https://pca.st/episode/a9fe3e7f-06e1-46 ... 278d8522f0

Also, worth listening to Kurt Fearnley. Bloody champion.
https://pca.st/episode/05f68373-0dc2-47 ... 0251bfed71
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Thanks

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Emma McKeon and Arianne Titmus. Both swim stars and very level headed. Cate and Bronte Campbell as well. Agree about Patty Mills. His interview after the bronze medal win was fabulous.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Cathy Freeman, Adam Goodes, George Gregan and John Eales come to mind. Specifically, the former two for their remarkable achievements against adversity, and the latter two for their leadership.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

And two rugby league ones: David Peachey and Preston Campbell. Both great players and leaders in their community. Favourite moments (specifics are hazy):

Campbell - defending his tryline at the Titans, with a big bopper looking to steamroll him for a try (I think it might’ve been Luke O’Donnell?), Peachey launches himself at the dudes’ quads, and whoever it was was not only stopped in his tracks, but got up with two corked legs :lol:

Peachey - an opposing player scored a good try, and Peachey shook the guys hand after scoring! Sportsmanship at its best. Another funny Peachey moment was his dismay at getting sin binned by Shayne Hayne in a blowout loss to the Eels… Hayne was having a moment in that game :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ash Barty.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »