Football IQ

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Football IQ

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Yup I can't think of any good sides who are primarily worried about how the other team comes off their line when they're attacking the line on tackle 5. These kicks weren't booming bombs from 40-50m out, that's where the better teams would employ those tactics.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How can our football iq improve when the coaching staff keep making simple illogical errors themselves. Bench use... gameplans... kicking early ... player management... etc
Shoving it in your face since 2017
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Townsend been nursing a shoulder for 10 minutes. Let’s see if we target him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

TongueFTW wrote: August 27, 2021, 6:27 pm Townsend been nursing a shoulder for 10 minutes. Let’s see if we target him.
No.
No Football IQ.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can IQ be negative?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Get to your feet..place the ball on the ground..rake ball backwards with foot..EMRE !!!!!

Another beautiful captains challenge boys..derp.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bump

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I'd say it took high football IQ to stay down when hit high and earn those penalties tonight.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Football IQ

Post by gangrenous »

Not rocket surgery really though is it?

The stupid part is it’ll be a talking point on NRL360 or other shows about the Raiders staying down playing for penalties. But how about the refs actually calling one live ****. They’re forcing players to stay down by not doing their job.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

gangrenous wrote:Not rocket surgery really though is it?

The stupid part is it’ll be a talking point on NRL360 or other shows about the Raiders staying down playing for penalties. But how about the refs actually calling one live ****. They’re forcing players to stay down by not doing their job.
I was being a bit cheeky.

Not so sure it will be a talking point. It was only the Warriors. If we were playing a Sydney "glamour" club like Manly, Roosters or Rabbitohs you bet it would be a talking point though.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Time to bump this thread today after today’s debacle.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

THE single smartest player of his entire generation, the guy who was always 3-4 plays ahead of everyone else... he's now hands dumb the dumbest **** in the coaching realm

What a time to be alive.
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

How about Rapana giving them a 7 tackle set with almost no time left on the clock?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Football IQ largely comes from good coaching
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:Most of what you've mentioned is by and large coaching.

The coaches have eyes everywhere. They watch every bit of what's happening on the field. If a player is doing something repeatedly, it's because they're coached to do it. If they weren't, it'd be picked up almost immediately.
Yeah, this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:13 pm THE single smartest player of his entire generation, the guy who was always 3-4 plays ahead of everyone else... he's now hands dumb the dumbest **** in the coaching realm

What a time to be alive.
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Not the coach we need, but probably the one we deserve.

Not all great players become great coaches.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:29 pm How about Rapana giving them a 7 tackle set with almost no time left on the clock?
Rapana is a lunatic. We knew exactly what we'd get when we moved him to FB- a whole bunch of rocks or diamonds.

He seems to get a lot more rocks when he's hampered by injury- he's struggling to stretch out again but can't dial his ambition back to his new physical limits. He was great last year on the wing, all gut busting effort. But he hasn't fulfilled the brief I'd want from a senior player over this last month- he's been as much of a source of bonehead plays as anyone else.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:03 pm Football IQ largely comes from good coaching
The reality these days is a large proportion of your squad are athletes with very little feel for the game. I’d say once you are at NRL level being coached a football IQ would be impossible.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Most of our players wouldn't have the IQ to know they were being sold a Scottish deerhound when they walked into the pet store to get a hamster that wrote novels

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

BadnMean wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:19 pm
TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:29 pm How about Rapana giving them a 7 tackle set with almost no time left on the clock?
Rapana is a lunatic. We knew exactly what we'd get when we moved him to FB- a whole bunch of rocks or diamonds.

He seems to get a lot more rocks when he's hampered by injury- he's struggling to stretch out again but can't dial his ambition back to his new physical limits. He was great last year on the wing, all gut busting effort. But he hasn't fulfilled the brief I'd want from a senior player over this last month- he's been as much of a source of bonehead plays as anyone else.
Raps killed it at fullback last year it was surprising..This year not so much
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Herbie Farnworth goes off and we don’t give Timoko a single chance, a SINGLE chance, with good, clean, early ball against his replacement. Playing a gassed side, all we needed was a few repeat sets and we would have stumbled over. Instead, we push pass after pass and hand the ball over cheaply. Disgraceful.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Reynolds put there for 5 minutes with a busted rib and we don’t run 1 play at him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: June 11, 2022, 9:41 pm Herbie Farnworth goes off and we don’t give Timoko a single chance, a SINGLE chance, with good, clean, early ball against his replacement. Playing a gassed side, all we needed was a few repeat sets and we would have stumbled over. Instead, we push pass after pass and hand the ball over cheaply. Disgraceful.
They got obsessed with offloads and no one made the #unts run forward first and set something up.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

There is no footy IQ on the field and on the coach's box. Why didn't any Raiders player and coach noticed that Reynolds and Farnforth were either injured or went off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

TongueFTW wrote: June 11, 2022, 9:41 pm Herbie Farnworth goes off and we don’t give Timoko a single chance, a SINGLE chance, with good, clean, early ball against his replacement. Playing a gassed side, all we needed was a few repeat sets and we would have stumbled over. Instead, we push pass after pass and hand the ball over cheaply. Disgraceful.
100%. Legit directionless.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Agree with all that. 25 mins to go, plenty of time to put the Broncos under pressure. We were making more linebreaks in that game than we have all year and we were simply too impatient with the ball.

Exactly the same as the earlier rounds.

I forget how many times we made a clean break only to immediately lose possession through a bad pass or messing up the PTB. Must have been 4 or 5 times.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s not a good sign when the 11 year old ball boy has a higher football IQ than 3/4 of the team.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

I’m so desperate to see a respected leader in this team that I would be happy to see us wheel out a 40 year old James Maloney at this point. Anyone who can tell us to calm the hell down and focus.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Coastalraider wrote: June 11, 2022, 9:43 pm Reynolds put there for 5 minutes with a busted rib and we don’t run 1 play at him.