2021 NRL Round 16: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2021 NRL Round 16: Teams and Game Day

Post by Canberra Milk »

I mean let's use an example, the Storm putting 30 on the Tigers in the first 20 minutes. That's not fatigue, not in that small a timeframe, it really is just because Melbourne are that much better

It *is* a momentum glut though, facilitated by Tigers having to kick back to them each time

If they had to kick off to the Tigers, how could it *not* arrest that momentum? It will take longer to accrue points than were they to receive the ball again - it couldn't be otherwise
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:I mean let's use an example, the Storm putting 30 on the Tigers in the first 20 minutes. That's not fatigue, not in that small a timeframe, it really is just because Melbourne are that much better

It *is* a momentum glut though, facilitated by Tigers having to kick back to them each time

If they had to kick off to the Tigers, how could it *not* arrest that momentum? It will take longer to accrue points than were they to receive the ball again - it couldn't be otherwise
Did you watch that game? Every single time the Tigers got the ball in the first 20 minutes, they dropped it. They were dreadful and whether they kicked off or received the ball wouldn't have mattered because none of them could hold the ball.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Still, I don't see how giving the non-scorer more ball wouldn't assist generally... some of them butchering it occasionally by dropping the pill notwithstanding
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 2, 2021, 11:14 am I mean let's use an example, the Storm putting 30 on the Tigers in the first 20 minutes. That's not fatigue, not in that small a timeframe, it really is just because Melbourne are that much better

It's a momentum glut facilitated by the tigers being a very clearly inferior football team who was also playing particularly poorly even by their lowly standards.
Give them the ball back after they concede isn't going to arrest that momentum unless they do something with it, which clearly they were unable to do on that night. Momentum doesn't just stop because you have the footy, if one team is dominant they're probably more likely to force you into handling errors, poor kicks, bad field position with their defence. Which is exactly what happened in that game, it's not as if the tigers conceded try's on back to back possessions.

Over the course of a game, and pending on what happens with the football, could actually expedite it since the Tigers were getting mauled in the forwards and their long kicking game was poor... at best they're taking 40 seconds off the clock and kicking back to the storm who start their set near half way.
By kicking off the tigers at least put the stop back in their own in goal and have every opportunity to muscle up and force a kick and start winning the field position battle
But they're not good enough, and nothing you can to artificially bring them closer, over 80 minutes the class difference will show up on the scoreboard.

Also, again lets say it works (psst it didnt) and it creates close games... it hurts the chasing team in the final stages of a come back. The most exciting thing in sports is the trailing team coming to get the leading team late... that pressure building, the leading team clinging for dear life, praying the clock beats their opposition. The chasing team pressing, pressuring... just need that one little break that can help them get over the top.
If they're chasing more than 1 score, it makes is considerably harder for them to keep that pressure up, you risk handicapping the ability for a chasing team to win late and for what? So the tigers lose 48-6 instead of 66-6?

Its just a strange thing to be fixated on :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pregame you have a pairing system. 1 defender for each player on the other team and then you list 3 backups in case there is a concussion. Only the listed players can tackle the other player.
No need to worry about any metres then as the guy that has just made the tackle is at marker.
Checkmate. Poor another glass of wine for Mr V.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

That's an extreme example though. There are many many more moderate examples, where momentum *would* have been arrested or at least mitigated. I'm not trying to change the game 180, just soften it a bit

And of course a team with momentum can pummel the opposition into submission when they finally get the ball: they've had all the ball than the others, who are exhausted from all the defence. That's one of a number of compounding effects here

There's clearly more at play than just the quality differential between teams. There are a number of momentum-causing mechanisms as outlined. They can be identified and lessened, if the will is there

The lessening of comebacks wouldn't bother me as they're getting beyond a joke now - even 20 points isn't nearly safe. But you can easily do a short kick-off anyway, if you're that behind
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Half time,Warriors 12,Dragons 6
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd prefer to see a blow out than to watch a wrestleathon snoozefest like the last decade.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Imagine losing to these Jokers

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Makaveli wrote:Imagine losing to these Jokers

I was just thinking the same thing.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bet the dragons are happy they’re not under Kman’s rule
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez some forward passes thrown by the Dragons and let go.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Saints have also got away with calls that have been penalties for months.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure I'd be going to Norman for the field goal.

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Good
**** the Warriors

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There's your close game. I suppose some people prefer that sort of game to a team playing exceptional football.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Unfortunate for Naden there. Flirting with the line and losing.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Penrith showing that good attack isn't just about coaching/systems... it's about having a great halfback. Great halfbacks take players with them, in support etc. Take that halfback out, and... you get this

Not saying they won't improve, but this is not the Penrith we've come to know so far
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Look at Panthers spin it all the way across the field after a break instead of a dumbarse hit up
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Look at one of the best attacking teams in the comp defend against a very good football team
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Did they really award that try? Looked like he dropped it.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Does anyone else find it really hard to care about other games when Raiders are ****?

When we are doing OK I find myself interested in other games as I think I want them as points of reference or benchmarks.

The only data I gather from other games at the moment is that most teams are better than us. Which bores me quickly.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I feel ya Mickey.

And I agree with what you say too.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Not sure if it bodes too well for the Dogs if Burton can't get a start ahead of Tyrone May in the halves. Very ordinary. May could easily be playing centre instead of him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 2, 2021, 9:05 pm Does anyone else find it really hard to care about other games when Raiders are ****?

When we are doing OK I find myself interested in other games as I think I want them as points of reference or benchmarks.

The only data I gather from other games at the moment is that most teams are better than us. Which bores me quickly.
Think that's pretty common across the board in most sports, tbh - especially when you were genuinely expecting your team to be good.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Parra hard done by there.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

afgtnk wrote: July 2, 2021, 9:22 pm Not sure if it bodes too well for the Dogs if Burton can't get a start ahead of Tyrone May in the halves. Very ordinary. May could easily be playing centre instead of him.
Just a stupid coaching decision by Ivan Cleary. Moronic
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Does anyone else find it really hard to care about other games when Raiders are ****?

Of course... if our team was blitzing the competition like Melbourne and Penrith are nobody here would be complaining about the state of the game or the rules.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Moses can say goodbye to the NSW #7 too based on this
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Anybody watching Dogs and Manly,looks like going to be a smash up!!!!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Thomas Raider wrote:Anybody watching Dogs and Manly,looks like going to be a smash up!!!!
Na, the Dogs have got this
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

This could be the best run of form I've ever seen, from Tom Turbo. Better than Hayne 09. Could be
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

HOW GOOD IS PETER VLANDIS
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 3, 2021, 3:33 pm
Thomas Raider wrote:Anybody watching Dogs and Manly,looks like going to be a smash up!!!!
Na, the Dogs have got this
:roflmao
I had to turn off :thumbsdown
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Canberra Milk wrote:This could be the best run of form I've ever seen, from Tom Turbo. Better than Hayne 09. Could be
Big call. Hayne had spiders on him. Regularly ran through the whole team.