Canberra Raiders admitted to NRLW in 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders lodge submission to join NRLW expansion

Post by greeneyed »

@FuiFui Bradbrad

I arrived in Canberra at the beginning of 1982. I was an Eastern Suburbs Tigers fan in Brisbane, still follow their results. When I arrived, people in Canberra followed Sydney clubs, if they followed rugby league. Australian Rules football was big and got lots of coverage in The Canberra Times. Their local competition was big. It was probably the biggest code until the Raiders came along… with a lot of the public service having come from Melbourne originally.

This tells the story of the Raiders bid and birth: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34928

Canberra was by no means a sure thing for admission.

I’ve read all the reports from The Canberra Times in 1981 on the bid when researching the history of the club for those stories. It was big news in Canberra, and generated a good deal of local excitement. But it wasn’t popular in Sydney or among the Sydney clubs. They hamstrung the Raiders in terms of recruiting talent, then complained that the Raiders were not a strong team and attracted low crowds in Sydney as a result.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders to be admitted to NRLW

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders to be admitted to NRLW

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders, Cowboys, Sharks and Tigers to join NRLW in 2023

Canberra, Cronulla, North Queensland and Wests Tigers are set to enter the NRL Women’s Premiership after confirmation the competition will expand to 10 teams in 2023. All four clubs have been granted a 2023 licence in an historic announcement made by the NRL on Wednesday.

The NRLW was due to expand to eight teams next year but the ARL Commission was determined to fast-track the competition with an additional four sides.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/15/sha ... w-in-2023/

ARLC official statement

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved the addition of four new teams to an expanded NRL Women’s Premiership competition from 2023.

The Commission has confirmed that Canberra Raiders, Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys and Wests Tigers would be admitted to the Premiership in 2023.

The additional teams will ensure that the NRLW competition is represented from Townsville in far-north Queensland to Canberra, with three clubs in Queensland, six in NSW and one in the ACT.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Mr Peter V’landys AM said the growth of the women’s game was a priority for the Commission, from grassroots to elite, and that all four teams would add significantly to the new competition in 2023.

“We have a blueprint for investing in the women’s game at all levels. We have seen from with the quality of the 2021 NRLW Premiership and the tremendous growth in female participation that we have capacity for sustainable growth,” Mr V’landys said.

“The Commission have again demonstrated that the women’s game is a strategic priority. The quality of the club submissions was excellent. The Commission had always left the door open to expand to a 10-team competition based on the quality of the applicants, and we have seen that come through both in the success of the 2021 Premiership and the quality and applications made by clubs.”

National Rugby League CEO Andrew Abdo said the expansion of the NRLW Premiership to a 10-team competition was a watershed moment for the sport.

“Today is another exciting milestone in the growth of Women’s Premiership,” Mr Abdo said.

“The Sharks and the Tigers have strong teams in the NSW Women’s Premiership, and the Raiders and the Cowboys already have strong participation bases.

“We will continue to work with all NRL Clubs on the plans for further expansion beyond 2023 and the right time for each Club to potentially enter the NRW Premiership.”

ARLC media

Canberra Raiders to join NRLW in 2023

The Canberra Raiders are proud to confirm that the club has been granted a license to join the NRLW in 2023 as one of four expansion teams. Raiders CEO Don Furner said the inclusion of the Raiders in the NRLW was a very proud moment for the club and the Raiders were excited about joining the competition in 2023.

“The Raiders are very excited about joining the NRLW competition for the first time in 2023 and now that we’ve been accepted, we’re looking forward to building our squad and assembling our team for next season,” Furner said. “Having a team in the NRLW has been a huge focus for our club and now that we’ve been granted a licence, we look forward to providing a pathway for local female participants to play at the elite level.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... w-in-2023/

Canberra Raiders on hunt for female NRLW coach

The Canberra Raiders' patience has been rewarded with an NRLW licence. Raiders director Katrina Fanning said they were already in talks with a couple of candidates to be their inaugural head coach, with the plan to have a female coach when they enter the NRLW in 2023. The team will be known as the Raiders, not the Valkyries.

"For the Raiders they were pretty deliberate to not go in the first round because there was lots of things they wanted to do to strengthen the local comp and the Tarsha Gale Cup and those sort of things so it's just good to see that patience rewarded," Fanning said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders admitted to NRLW in 2023

Post by deanoman »

When are we signing Millie Boyle?
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Awesome! Even with-out a single player signed up I'm feeling we will win the NRLW before we manage to finish in the NRL top eight again. At least if something doesn't dramatically change at the NRL level.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mother of all idols: Raiders young gun ready to follow in Jillaroo's footsteps

For Canberra young gun Kayla Fleming, following in the footsteps of her Jillaroo mother was always a childhood dream. Unlike many up-and-coming rugby league stars who are following in their father's footsteps, young Kayla looks up to her mum Nicole Pollard-Fleming, who represented the Jillaroos in 2001.

“My mum is one of my biggest inspirations. She lives and breathes football and loves watching my games,” Fleming said. “She’s always been very supportive of my football career and also very involved in our local football community in Cooma.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/15/mot ... footsteps/

Everything you need to know: 2023 NRLW expansion: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/15/eve ... expansion/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ll coach em.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: June 15, 2022, 6:45 pm I’ll coach em.
I get the sense a local magistrate somewhere might say otherwise PJ :roflmao
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

deanoman wrote:When are we signing Millie Boyle?
Or do you mean, Millie Elliott?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah this is really cool
Hope the club can put together a competive roster.

It might come as a surprise to some, but i've followed Ben Cross's post season career. He's had some experience coaching Jillroos... might be time to bring my guy home to help start a new chapter in Canberra Raiders history
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could tap into rugby union talent to bolster NRLW side

The Raiders will enter the NRLW in 2023, with a nine-round season expected to culminate with a grand final on the same day as the NRL decider.

"I had a very open conversation with the Brumbies CEO recently and he said, 'I hope your competition's at the end of the year because it will be fine'. I'm happy for the girls to start the year with them and come across to us'," Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT government $13 million dollar deal with the Raiders includes $100,000 a season for the NRLW team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2022, 6:03 pm Canberra Raiders could tap into rugby union talent to bolster NRLW side

The Raiders will enter the NRLW in 2023, with a nine-round season expected to culminate with a grand final on the same day as the NRL decider.

"I had a very open conversation with the Brumbies CEO recently and he said, 'I hope your competition's at the end of the year because it will be fine'. I'm happy for the girls to start the year with them and come across to us'," Don Furner said.

Sounds like a good arrangement for both organsiations and more importantly the talent
Health permitted, hopefully between the Brumbies and us most of the women talent who wish to do it, will be able to limit disruption to their personal lives and pull double duty and double pay with the teams.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

I really hope that the Raiders don't cave to peer pressure and push on with the Valkyries brand instead of just carrying the NRL brand over to the NRLW side.

There's a lot of value in having a unique identity and feel about the team, and another jersey and merchandise range to sell couldn't be a bad thing either. So it'd be a real shame to let it die just because nobody else is doing it.

This club has always marched to the beat of it's own drum, and I hope we are brave enough to continue that trend with our NRLW side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Badger17 wrote: June 17, 2022, 12:25 am I really hope that the Raiders don't cave to peer pressure and push on with the Valkyries brand instead of just carrying the NRL brand over to the NRLW side.

There's a lot of value in having a unique identity and feel about the team, and another jersey and merchandise range to sell couldn't be a bad thing either. So it'd be a real shame to let it die just because nobody else is doing it.

This club has always marched to the beat of it's own drum, and I hope we are brave enough to continue that trend with our NRLW side.
The Raiders have already said the team will be the Canberra Raiders and they will be playing under that brand. But I agree, they shouldn’t lose the Valkyrie logo. They can do both.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2022, 1:04 am
Badger17 wrote: June 17, 2022, 12:25 am I really hope that the Raiders don't cave to peer pressure and push on with the Valkyries brand instead of just carrying the NRL brand over to the NRLW side.

The Raiders have already said the team will be the Canberra Raiders and they will be playing under that brand. But I agree, they shouldn’t lose the Valkyrie logo. They can do both.
Well that's disappointing. It's just such a short sighted and lazy decision, and to be honest with you it's killed any interest I had in supporting the team in any meaningful way.

If the team, and competition more broadly, doesn't have it's own tangible identity then it'll have no point of difference to build it's own support base. If it doesn't have it's own dedicated support base large enough to support it, then, once the novelty of it's existence wears off, it'll just end up as a cheap made for TV imitation of the NRL. Which is lame because the NRLW has the potential to be built into it's own thing.

You can't do both either. It has to be one or the other, otherwise it'll just come off as cheap tokenism.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was pressed on them by the NRL though. It definitely seems like the sort of thing that the V'landys regime would push for anyway, and they're definitely the sort of dinosaurs that would have so little faith in a women's competition that they'd believe that the only way it could be feasible is through pigging backing off the men in every way. It's typical soft bigotry of low expectations crap.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Hope Millie Boyle doesn’t come and join this team when she’s old and ready to retire…. She’s no steff hancock
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2022, 6:03 pm Canberra Raiders could tap into rugby union talent to bolster NRLW side

This is very clever, and I like it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I will be able to actually get somewhere now': Raiders star's new hope of a clear path to the elite level

She came to Canberra to play footy, but Alanna Dummett thought she might hit a dead end at the end of the season. But with the Raiders getting an NRLW team, the Tarsha Gale star now sees a clear path to the elite level.

"It [NSW selection] was really unexpected; I didn't expect it after our Raiders team didn't go as well as what we were hoping for this year," she said.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Sky Blues coach Kylie Hilder open to coaching new Canberra Raiders women's team in 2023

NSW Sky Blues head coach Kylie Hilder has left the door ajar to potentially become the Canberra Raiders' NRLW coach in their inaugural season next year. An assistant since 2020 with the Sydney Roosters' NRLW side, Hilder said she would consider club coaching opportunities elsewhere in 2023.

"If any doors open up, I'm willing to sit down and chat, and would never close any door until then," Hilder said.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'm really excited about a women's team. And if Hilder is the coach, I think that would be a win.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Watched acouple of NRLW games this week and last, only because there hasnt been much on, but theres a lot of good looking woman playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Elcaptcroker wrote: August 27, 2022, 2:56 pm Watched acouple of NRLW games this week and last, only because there hasnt been much on, but theres a lot of good looking woman playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t say I’ve ever been a big fan but I also watched a bit here and there over the weekend and I was impressed at the standard. Fast, skilful and hard footy. I have to say AFLW has a looooooong way to go to improve its product but NRLW isn’t bad at all.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

I actually really like watching the NRLW and am looking forward to supporting our team. I am curious as to how the draw will play out though. Will the NRLW team mirror the NRLM team? (i.e. Both Teams at home, Both teams away)
Same day either before or after? etc etc
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't think it's workable for away games. Not enough teams in the NRLW yet. Be great if they could sync up a portion of the home games.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: August 29, 2022, 11:29 pm I don't think it's workable for away games. Not enough teams in the NRLW yet. Be great if they could sync up a portion of the home games.
I dream of a day where the blokes play 40 mins, rest up for 40 while the women punch out their first half, then the guys pump out a second half followed by the women bringing it home. Not enough big picture thinking happening!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders turn attention to NRLW as coach search heats up

CEO Don Furner says an announcement is expected soon on Canberra's inaugural NRLW head coach.

"We're not allowed to physically sign up anyone until November 1," Furner said. "This year's comp will finish then all those girls will come off-contract. We want the coach and manager in place so once the November deadline comes forward we can have a crack and start contracting."

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

In all seriousness if I were Don I’d be putting my hand out for solid pay rise. Putting aside arguments about whether he does a job job or not, doesn’t the introduction of a womens team essentially double the scope of his role?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, it doesn’t. The Raiders already run five other squads. This will be a sixth, with the NRLW also playing a fairly short season.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: September 21, 2022, 4:27 pm No, it doesn’t. The Raiders already run five other squads. This will be a sixth, with the NRLW also playing a fairly short season.
Compared to 4 of those 5 squads this will have a much larger corporate and media footprint. Agree it’s not ‘double’ but it’s likely a bigger impact from a manager point of view than bringing a cup squad back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders happy as work begins to make Canberra Stadium NRLW-ready

Canberra Stadium has taken the first steps towards being NRLW-ready, with the ACT government beginning work on increasing the number of change rooms. That will allow the Raiders to host NRL, NRLW and NSW Cup matches all on the same day, with all players able to get changed at the venue rather than walk to the AIS or athletics track.

"It's really pleasing to know they're working on fixing that up. We can play the Roosters in NRL and in the NRLW we might be playing the Broncos, so all four teams can have sheds," Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Great news. Anyone know if they're releasing any Merch for the NRLW team that blokes can wear?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They are going to brand the team as “Canberra Raiders”. From what I can see other teams don’t have separate NRLW merchandise. But I reckon that something like a Valkyrie cap would sell well. People seem to love that logo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

“Major announcement” coming tomorrow at 11:30am.