Canberra Raiders admitted to NRLW in 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders admitted to NRLW in 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders want NRL Women's team by 2023

The Canberra Raiders' sights are set on entering an NRLW team for the 2023 season.

"We'd need '22 to put a team together and we'd definitely like to have one in '23," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "It's probably a year or two behind because of COVID and a few other things and funding, but it's always been a part of our plan down the track.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders want NRL Women's team by 2023

Post by Bay53 »

Would people actively support this team? By that I don’t mean saying “yeah, yeah I support them, go girls” because that is the politically correct if patronising answer.

What I mean is actively get out and watch their games. Presumably by 2023 it will be more than just a small comp during the NRL finals.

Interested to get peoples thoughts, particularly females, because ironically I find the biggest detractors of the AFLW comp are actually female footy fans.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Definitely
So long as they stick solid and bleed green, ill support them.. it would be an upgrade on the mens team which does not appear to bleed green and certainly does not stick solid
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Maybe we can give Rick a promotion and give him the honour of being our inaugural NRLW coach?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:50 pm Definitely
So long as they stick solid and bleed green, ill support them.. it would be an upgrade on the mens team which does not appear to bleed green and certainly does not stick solid
Gee mate I don’t know what planet you have lived on if you don’t think cliques could form in a group of 25 women. Let’s try and answer this ignoring the current plight of the first grade team which is hopefully temporary.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:48 pm Would people actively support this team? By that I don’t mean saying “yeah, yeah I support them, go girls” because that is the politically correct if patronising answer.

What I mean is actively get out and watch their games. Presumably by 2023 it will be more than just a small comp during the NRL finals.

Interested to get peoples thoughts, particularly females, because ironically I find the biggest detractors of the AFLW comp are actually female footy fans.
I’ll give you a non politically correct honest answer - no I wouldn’t. But that’s just me and I genuinely do wish them the very best of luck.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote:
Gee mate I don’t know what planet you have lived on if you don’t think cliques could form in a group of 25 women. Let’s try and answer this ignoring the current plight of the first grade team which is hopefully temporary.
Ooooof. That’s a pretty big dubby there, pal.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Rickmando wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:52 pm Maybe we can give Rick a promotion and give him the honour of being our inaugural NRLW coach?
:D :clap:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders want NRL Women's team by 2023

Post by LastRaider »

Yes 100% I would support them. Nice to hear the club is thinking outside of there conservative ways

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd show an interest

Would I actively go to games like I do for the men? Probably not, but if it's before a home game I'd go for a look

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Will need to continue to improve in the Tarsha Gale Cup first.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2021, 5:33 am
Bay53 wrote:
Ooooof. That’s a pretty big dubby there, pal.
I have no idea what that means.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Absolutely! I'd be there with bells and whistles on!

Wanted to add, really glad the club is taking this seriously and steadily and not just leaping in with a wild GERONIMO! Taking a year to build the team then entering the comp is a much more solid plan.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders kick-start NRLW bid

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders kick-start NRL Women’s Premiership bid

Canberra have kicked off their bid to field a team in the NRL Women's Premiership in 2022 or 2023 after raising more than $120,000 at an NRLW fundraiser dinner.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart and the men's NRL squad were among the guests at the National Press Club of Australia on Tuesday night and help support the club's future ambitions of taking part in the women's competition.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/03/the ... s-backing/

GALLERY: Raiders Foundation dinner: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... ion-night/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders put hand up to be part of NRLW expansion in 2022

The Canberra Raiders will seek admission to an expanded NRL Women's competition in 2022.

"I think we're more than likely to be '23 rather than '22, mainly because we've got to recruit and show the pathways are strong enough to compete. So our aim is '22. It goes to eight [teams] next year and we get it great. If they say one more year and we get it because it goes to 10 the following year. That's our aim," CEO Don Furner said.

Knights, Titans and Eels to join NRLW in 2021: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/11/kni ... w-in-2021/

NRL Women's Premiership expansion

The NRL Women’s Premiership (NRLW) will expand to six teams in 2021 with the objective of expanding to eight teams in 2022.

In 2021 the NRLW will see the Gold Coast Titans, Newcastle Knights and Parramatta Eels join the competition.

The Australian Rugby League Commission approved the expansion which will see the new clubs join the Brisbane Broncos, St George Illawarra Dragons and Sydney Roosters for NRLW 2021.

NRLW will commence alongside Round 23 of the NRL Premiership, with each team playing each other once and the top four teams playing in semi-finals.

The Grand Final will continue to be played on the same day as the NRL Grand Final.

The number of games will increase from 7 to 18 this season and the number of playing weeks will increase from 4 to 7.

The majority of NRLW matches will be played as double headers on the same day as NRL Premiership matches to maximise exposure for the competition.

After being part of the foundation four clubs who entered the competition in 2018 the Warriors will not participate in the 2021 season because of uncertainty surrounding borders.

The club is committed to returning to the competition next year. With the framework established for the 2021 season the NRL will work with the playing group and clubs on a contracting model.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the expansion highlighted the success and growth of the women’s game.

“Today is a really special day for the game. Women’s rugby league is the fastest growing part of our sport and it’s exciting to be in a position to expand the competition after the success of the last three seasons,’’ he said.

“The NRLW competition has produced some of the best athletes in Australia, it’s captivated a new fan base and today’s expansion will give more players the opportunity to play in an elite competition.”

Mr Abdo said the Commission was prioritising investment in growing the women’s game at all levels.

“Now that we have a really solid base, thriving State competitions and investment in expanding the game from the bottom up, I cannot wait to see the NRLW go to a new level across 7 weeks and 18 games.

“I want to thank the Titans, Knights and Eels for their commitment to women’s rugby league. It’s an historic day for all clubs and an exciting day for their fans and of course the ongoing commitment of the Broncos, Dragons and Roosters.”

Mr Abdo thanked the Warriors for the participation in the NRLW competition.

“The Warriors were part of the first four clubs to join the NRLW competition and we are grateful for the commitment they made right from the start, particularly during the pandemic last year.

It’s been an incredibly challenging period for the club during COVID and I’m confident we will see the Warriors return to the competition in 2022 as part of our expansion plans. ”

NRL media release
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders put hand up to be part of NRLW expansion in 2022

Post by Lui_Bon »

So the Warriors are gone? A quarter of the original teams cactus? Yes I know, COVID etc, but still...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders want NRLW team in 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders confirm they want NRL Women's team in 2023

Women's rugby league numbers are continuing to grow in Canberra, and with an NRLW bid locked-in for 2023, the code's managing body wants to build on the momentum to make the region a hub and create a pathway to keep talent in the area.

Canberra Region Rugby League is planning to expand its female competitions and junior pathways in 2022 to go hand-in-hand with the NRLW bid, dip into the southern NSW area talent pool and build a hub for talent in the region, with details expected to be announced on Monday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -nrlw-bid/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders aim big as NRLW bid for 2023 is launched

Jillaroos prop Millie Boyle is likely to be offered the opportunity to return home and help lead a foundation Raiders team if the club secures a 2023 NRLW licence.

Raiders CEO Don Furner and director Katrina Fanning, who played 26 Tests and is regarded as a Jillaroos’ trailblazer, launched Canberra’s bid to join an expanded NRLW competition on Monday and said they wanted the region's players to play at the highest level without having to move.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/11/29/on- ... -nrlw-bid/

Canberra bid ramps up NRLW expansion talk: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4745277

Canberra Raiders launch bid for 2023 NRLW licence: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... w-licence/

Canberra Raiders set to enter NRLW in 2023 in a dream come true for the region's female players

A new chapter in the Canberra Raiders' history is under way, with the club committing to a 2023 NRLW bid and growing the pathway to the top by increasing the Katrina Fanning Shield competition from seven to nine teams in 2022.

Next year the shield will include two new teams in Riverina and the South Coast. The expansion will act as a talent identification for the future Raiders side and is part of Canberra Region Rugby League's bid to create a hub in the region.

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders bid for NRLW team for 2023 and expand Katrina Fanning Shield competition: Hear from Don Furner, Katrina Fanning, Hollie Massey and Makayla Morris as they speak about the Canberra Raiders NRLW licence bid for 2023 and the local Katrina Fanning Shield competition serving as a talent identification competition next year: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/11 ... xt-season/

VIDEO: Morris: I get goosebumps thinking about it: For Raiders Tarsha Gale player Makayla Morris, her dream of playing in green may soon become a reality with the Raiders NRLW licence bid for 2023 in full swing: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/11 ... -about-it/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Monaro Open Women's training squad 2022 named

The Monaro Open Women's training squad for 2022 has been named.

Ahlivia Ingram, Caitlin Fazey-Robinson, Eilish Winbank, Elly Hazelton, Emily Banks, Hayley Martin, Hollie Massey, Irene McCarthur, Ivy Tupai, Jacinta Williams, Jacquiline Pele, Jess Howard, Jessica Grant, Kiara Kennedy, Kimberley Grant, Klaudia Osztrenkovics, Krystal Blackwell, Lealofi Sauiluma, Lilly Bennet, Livina Samoa, Maddy Tooth, Milika Tuinakauvadra, Nirvana Ngan-Woo, Olivia Howe, Paige Penning, Shaenice Allan, Sydney Harrison, Tabua Tuinakauvadra, Taylah Frost, Zoe Podmore

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/12 ... quad-2022/

VIDEO: Furner: We've got the facilities, the finances and the registration numbers. Hear from Raiders CEO Don Furner as he discusses the Raiders NRLW licence bid for 2023 and attracting talent to the inaugural team: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/12 ... n-numbers/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could focus on Millie Boyle in bid for NRLW licence

The Canberra Raiders have an obvious target for their marquee NRLW signing - Millie Boyle. "She's, if not the best, amongst the very elite of women's rugby league and how she carries herself off the field, which is important for us. That'd be a wonderful addition if it was something she was open to," Raiders board member Katrina Fanning said.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra wins Women's State of Origin hosting rights as government offers funds for Canberra Raiders Women's team

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra wins Women's State of Origin hosting rights as government offers funds for Canberra Raiders Women's team

Rugby league's best female players will go head to head in a State of Origin blockbuster in Canberra after the ACT government secured hosting rights for the standalone game. The government has built funding to support a potential NRLW team into its new performance agreement with the Canberra Raiders.

Officials are hopeful of attracting a crowd of 10,000 or more for the standalone Friday night match on 24 June, which will be played two days before the second game of the men's Origin series in Perth.

Canberra to host 2022 Women's Origin

The 2022 Women’s State of Origin will be played on neutral territory for the first time, heading to Canberra’s Canberra Stadium.

The National Rugby League (NRL), alongside the Canberra Raiders and the ACT Government, today announced that Canberra Stadium would host the fixture on Friday, June 24.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the neutral venue highlighted the growth of the event, with regions outside of the home states seeking to host the match.

“Women’s State of Origin is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting events on our calendar and we are delighted to be taking the Game to a neutral venue for the very first time,’’ he said.

“When Women’s State of Origin was launched at North Sydney Oval in 2018 we all knew it would build to something special and Canberra becoming the first neutral venue to host the event is another step in the evolution and growth of the women’s game.

“Both states have won two Origin matches each, so it’s fitting the fifth game is played at a neutral venue.”

Mr Abdo said he was pleased that Canberra would host another major NRL event.

“Canberrans are passionate rugby league fans and we’re looking forward to giving fans the opportunity to witness the elite women’s game for the very first time. It’s a great city and we’re delighted to take new content to the region.”

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said having Women’s State of Origin at Canberra Stadium was a boost to the club and local supporters.

“The Raiders are very excited with the news that the 2022 Women’s State of Origin is coming to Canberra for the first time and we know the local community will support the match at Canberra Stadium,” he said.

“The Raiders are working hard on our bid to secure an NRLW team for 2023 and high-profile women’s matches in Canberra will go a long way to showing our commitment and passion for the women’s game.”

ACT Minister for Sport and Recreation Yvette Berry says this is an important milestone for the territory.

“The ACT Government has been a long-time advocate of growing awareness and support for elite female teams and athletes and I’m so excited to see this great event come to Canberra. The ACT is a leading destination for women’s sport in Australia and I can’t wait to see the game.”

Tickets are on sale today for Maroon and Blatchys Members. Supporters can watch the historic match from just $20 for adults and $40 for families. Juniors aged 15 years and under can enter free with a Category C paying adult.

Tickets will be on sale for the General Public next Wednesday, March 16, via nrl.com/tickets.

The next generation of female players will have the opportunity to take to the field at half time, continuing the strong focus on aligning the elite game with grassroots programs.

NRL media release
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Re: Canberra wins Women's State of Origin hosting rights as government offers funds for Canberra Raiders Women's team

Post by Shiv »

oh thats cool. Big fan of NRLW, and even better to have the game here.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Should see if we can get this lassie a contract.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra wins Women's State of Origin hosting rights as government offers funds for Canberra Raiders Women's team

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin 'the perfect starting point' for Canberra Raiders' NRLW bid

Raiders CEO Don Furner says that staging the Women's 2022 Origin match in Canberra is "the perfect starting point" for the Green Machine's vision of entering the NRLW in 2023.

"Hopefully next year we'll have our own team so these young girls will aspire to play in a green jersey just like young boys did 40 years ago when we started the men's team. Once you see that aspirational team in front of you with a green jersey, we want those young girls here to aspire to play for us.

Canberra to host Women's Origin for first time: Blues coach Kylie Hilder has used today’s announcement of the 2022 State of Origin venue to send a reminder to players hoping to pull on the coveted NSW jersey this year: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/03/0 ... irst-time/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have NRLW shortlist for expansion

The Canberra Raiders already have a shortlist of recruitment targets as they continue their push to be part of the NRLW's next expansion. The Raiders hope to be part of the 2023 campaign and one natural recruit would be Millie Boyle.

"I think we'll have to start having conversations [with players] soon and I've got a committee that have been meeting for the past two months," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

ARLC announce expansion for NRLW and State of Origin: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/arl ... of-origin/

VIDEO: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/arl ... of-origin/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders lodge submission to join NRLW expansion

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders lodge submission to join NRLW expansion

Raiders chief executive Don Furner submitted the Green Machine's application to be part of the two new expansion teams for next year on Friday, with the NRLW set to grow from six to eight sides in 2023.

"I think regional reach will be important," CEO Don Furner said. "I think they'll train at Raiders HQ. We'll play as many doubleheaders as possible. Otherwise we could play at Kippax or NSWRL HQ Bruce."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:48 pm Would people actively support this team? By that I don’t mean saying “yeah, yeah I support them, go girls” because that is the politically correct if patronising answer.

I obviously would support them as I support all raiders teams but would I actively go out and watch the matches? No

I just dont like seeing women being so aggressive/physical
Touch footy? Yep thats enjoyable to watch, oz tag? Not a problem but for me personally I wouldn't be going out of my way or emotionally connected as I do with the mens game

Putting it in perspective I also dont watch or like women's boxing, afl, mma etc
Vaccinated
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Match attendance doesn’t matter that much in the grand scheme - how many would turn in the tv in there weekend to watch, how many ad spaces can be sold, and does it open new streams for sponsorship at club and league level?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

No

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It just looks so wrong.

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I will support them the best I can, like every Raiders team. Top line women’s footy is great to watch, but until recently, that’s only been at international or Origin level. The standard of NRLW is improving all the time, but I’ll admit the lack of a Raiders team has limited my interest. I can’t say I’d be travelling to NRLW games, but I’d certainly attend them in Canberra. Great for our sport. They should be careful about expanding too fast, and diluting the quality of games though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: April 22, 2022, 8:05 pm Match attendance doesn’t matter that much in the grand scheme - how many would turn in the tv in there weekend to watch, how many ad spaces can be sold, and does it open new streams for sponsorship at club and league level?
I think that’s a very astute point too.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

everythings gotta start somewhere

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I doubt there’s many on here old enough to remember, but I’m curious what the Rugby League world was like pre-Raiders? Did you support other clubs? Was there support for the side from the media and others within the game similar to Perth / 2nd Brisbane team? Like, was they’re much hype before the bid? Was Canberra’s entry expected / a surprise?

I know there’s probably a thread on it somewhere, but still…
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021