Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:52 pm We are so lacking in structure.
According to Ricky that doesn’t matter as long as you have good culture, and apparently ours is the best so we should win every time…., well unless Ricky is full of … sawdust!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I only just watched the presser now. Was too angry at the 100th second half loss under Stuart...

Structure is what we need. I think that's why we look better with Woolford out there over Starling. Like others have said Starling is Chaos, sure with a bit of luck that can win you a game, but you can't build off it nor rely on it working consistently. Woolford is far more methodical and structured. Does that mean he will get predictable and managed like Hodgson ended up? Maybe, maybe not, but at least it's a platform we can build off!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

So the injuries and missing players over the last year or two are the reasons for our woes but when the broncos lose key players mid game and rest a few more there culture is like ours and the reason they can still win??

I'm very confused.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

To be fair to Stick, we did have some awful luck during that game. Losing our Origin front rower, our captain and half back and a key outside back in running was a really tough break that was always going to make it hard for us to win.

Oh wait...
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Rick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I was so disappointed with the performance in the second half. Again. And then the coach came on and told us that all they needed was a bit of luck and they might get some luck next week and might win. Luck! Seriously, we are just waiting for a bit of luck. That's the coaching philosophy. And now I'm just mad. So cranky. I might calm down by tomorrow morning.
Luck.

Or how about;

Move on some of the dead wood; Croker and Whitehead (Wayne may be keen with the below as a package deal)

Get rid of the under-performers; Starling, CHN and CNK.

And stop selecting those who are going; Sutton and Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for forward to reading a fired up GE write the Greeneyed report today

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:21 am
Rick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I was so disappointed with the performance in the second half. Again. And then the coach came on and told us that all they needed was a bit of luck and they might get some luck next week and might win. Luck! Seriously, we are just waiting for a bit of luck. That's the coaching philosophy. And now I'm just mad. So cranky. I might calm down by tomorrow morning.
Luck.

Or how about;

Move on some of the dead wood; Croker and Whitehead (Wayne may be keen with the below as a package deal)

Get rid of the under-performers; Starling, CHN and CNK.

And stop selecting those who are going; Sutton and Elliot.

Looking for forward to reading a fired up GE write the Greeneyed report today

You'd need a projector to cut that many at once.

Reality is we have Croker and Elliot on the books for at least another couple of years. CHN too. We can't move them on unless they voluntarily give up a million dollars AND retire from the sport. No one does that. We might be able to move CHN on and just pay some freight. But he's the most likely to have years of good footy in him.

CNK, Starling? I'd have CNK in my squad but if he wants a start he'd have to go elsewhere or battle for a centre spot. I think Starling can be effective, there just needs to be some balance in how he plays. A video session on that game with him and Fog looking to strike a better balance between using Tom's running game to get a team retreating and _then_ Fog calling some shots to take advantage of it.

I said before this game that we got a glimpse of where we were at vs Parra- we could hang with a decent team for a while, but then blinked and tried to put the cue in the rack and played one out until we lost. A few weeks later with some more confident we got another go vs a top 4ish team- we did a little better in attack for 60 mins I thought.

Defence was not as solid- mainly because Whitehead was everywhere vs Parra but a bit quieter vs Broncs and we missed some simple one on ones (Kris and whoever got stepped through the middle, didn't catch who myself).

Then the last 20 mins we went frantic- maybe a bit of an over correction to doing nothing vs Parra. Tried to score off every play. A large part of that is on Stick- he either gave Starling the wrong call to run every time or failed to rein him in a bit. Part is on Fog- he's a controlling half, that's the only reason we bought him, he's just cromulent enough at everything else- it was his leadership and direction we wanted. He needs to start delivering that. Step 1 is to get the ball when he wants it...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:52 pm We are so lacking in structure.
According to Ricky that doesn’t matter as long as you have good culture, and apparently ours is the best so we should win every time…., well unless Ricky is full of … sawdust!
It’s good culture AND luck, get it right son.

In Ricky We Trust
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I have always enjoyed reading the greenhouse for updates on player movements and following the lower grades but have never posted a comment but the continual dribble that is posted in here is remarkable. I don't understand the continual bagging of Ricky. The club's relevance has never existed without him involved. In regards to results, the club has never made it past a semi final without Ricky. In regards to community engagement the club was in the doldrums before his return and is now thriving with huge growth in memberships and involvement with many community related good causes. The club has rarely featured in the headlines for negative player culture and behaviour, in fact many have turned their fortunes here under Ricky. Glory days aside, before Ricky's return the club's biggest recruitment coup was a washed up Matt Orford, now we actually sign players of representative quality. If you take a look at our new base in Braddon, that would not have happened without Ricky and his relationship with John Bariloro, leading to the partnership between NSW and ACT governments to fund that project. I'm all for success but the definition of success from many on this forum is very limited. Without Ricky the club has never been successful on or off the field and history has proven that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coaching issues

Post by gangrenous »

While the GH can be overly negative after a loss. Some of that’s a bit fanciful (player behaviour, Ricky being the only path to success) and overlooks the main point that people can be critical of Ricky’s coaching strategy while appreciating what he does for the club outside of games.

Also most of the fans on here are more about the game/strategy than about community engagement.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Coaching issues

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:I have always enjoyed reading the greenhouse for updates on player movements and following the lower grades but have never posted a comment but the continual dribble that is posted in here is remarkable. I don't understand the continual bagging of Ricky. The club's relevance has never existed without him involved. In regards to results, the club has never made it past a semi final without Ricky. In regards to community engagement the club was in the doldrums before his return and is now thriving with huge growth in memberships and involvement with many community related good causes. The club has rarely featured in the headlines for negative player culture and behaviour, in fact many have turned their fortunes here under Ricky. Glory days aside, before Ricky's return the club's biggest recruitment coup was a washed up Matt Orford, now we actually sign players of representative quality. If you take a look at our new base in Braddon, that would not have happened without Ricky and his relationship with John Bariloro, leading to the partnership between NSW and ACT governments to fund that project. I'm all for success but the definition of success from many on this forum is very limited. Without Ricky the club has never been successful on or off the field and history has proven that.
Great first post and welcome to the forum, Rick- errrr…. Sticky Ruart!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I understand that gangrenous and am making the point that Ricky's strategies have been successful for the club. 2 preliminary finals and a grand final demonstrate that point. However, being a good head coach spans more than just the results. But when focusing solely on that, Ricky's strategies have proven more successful than others who have coached here aside from Sheens.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Welcome and a good first post Bluesbrother. Pretty sure the Raiders made the 1987 Grand Final without Ricky. But that’s nit picking. I wouldn’t agree that the club’s relevance doesn’t exist without him. No individual is bigger than the the club. Not entirely sure about player behaviour issues either, but I think the club and coach deal with them pretty well when they arise. Good points about community engagement, the new Braddon HQ, memberships, commercial success and recruitment improving. The concerns I have on the coaching front, I post them in a balanced way, I hope. Most of the time anyway. We’ve had some successful years but some pretty unsuccessful years too. Still the second longest premiership drought of the current clubs. That’s not all on the coach. But premierships are the key indicator of success. I’ll admit I was left feeling pretty cranky about last night’s press conference.

In any case, I enjoyed your post.

Hopefully you post more! Or at least continue reading our lower grade and other coverage. We work pretty hard on it.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

What a load of poppy cock.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The same old tired arguments for Rick. It’s all based in the past. He’s yesterdays hero!

All that other stuff notwithstanding, would you care to comment on exactly what you have seen in Rick’s coaching career that is even competent?

Ambassador, great ex-player, green bleeder… none of that is in question. But as a coach - he’s defrauding the club, and damaging us to a point where it’ll take another decade to sort out the inevitable mess he will leave us
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Just need some luck.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Bluesbrother wrote: June 12, 2022, 5:38 pm I have always enjoyed reading the greenhouse for updates on player movements and following the lower grades but have never posted a comment but the continual dribble that is posted in here is remarkable. I don't understand the continual bagging of Ricky. The club's relevance has never existed without him involved. In regards to results, the club has never made it past a semi final without Ricky. In regards to community engagement the club was in the doldrums before his return and is now thriving with huge growth in memberships and involvement with many community related good causes. The club has rarely featured in the headlines for negative player culture and behaviour, in fact many have turned their fortunes here under Ricky. Glory days aside, before Ricky's return the club's biggest recruitment coup was a washed up Matt Orford, now we actually sign players of representative quality. If you take a look at our new base in Braddon, that would not have happened without Ricky and his relationship with John Bariloro, leading to the partnership between NSW and ACT governments to fund that project. I'm all for success but the definition of success from many on this forum is very limited. Without Ricky the club has never been successful on or off the field and history has proven that.
Welcome to the forums. No one ever said he didn't have upsides. Our issues are those upsides no longer outweigh the downside. Even at the start of 2019 we were looking like trash. Stuart managed to turn it around, but then he seems to think he found a winning formula and sticking with that while ignoring how the game is being played will eventually come good. His bench use has always been out of sync with the rest of the league, his team selections seem to be based on something we certainly can't see in the games, and his ability to get the best from players consistently has never presented itself.

This is his ninth season in charge of the Raiders. There are no players here under contracts he didn't sign himself. Under his coaching we were: 15th, 10th, 2nd (out in Preliminary 1 of 3 finals won), 10th, 10th, 4th (lost the GF, 2 of 3 finals won), 5th, (out in Preliminary 2 of 3 finals won), 10th, and this year we are looking a strong chance at 10th yet again... That's still zero trophy's in the cabinet and we miss the finals more than we make them, TWICE as much as we make them should we likely finish outside them again this year. He is sitting around a 50% win ratio for the club, and the only reason it's that high is a few purple patches of form in between the dregs.

I'm sorry but I'm just not satisfied with being an average team which once a decade manages to have a chance should all the luck in the world go our way. I don't think wanting more is unreasonable! Our entire club from the top down to the coach now have this mentality of "hey we didn't get the spoon so we did alright, bonuses for all!" Can you imagine if the Storm didn't make the eight one year, outside of cheating the cap again? There would be a full inquiry and heads would be rolling. We miss out on the finals the MAJORITY of years and we still call it success.

It's been twenty eight years since we won a grand final, thirty two since we won a minor premiership, I can't see either happening under Stuart so how long are we all willing to wait until we have something to actually celebrate?

Oh and a final one, just to really nail the point home. Statistically speaking, Matthew Elliot was a better coach... He got us to the finals four out of five seasons (8th, 4th, 8th, 14th, 7th)... MATTHEW ELLIOT!!!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rickmando wrote:The same old tired arguments for Rick. It’s all based in the past. He’s yesterdays hero!

All that other stuff notwithstanding, would you care to comment on exactly what you have seen in Rick’s coaching career that is even competent?

Ambassador, great ex-player, green bleeder… none of that is in question. But as a coach - he’s defrauding the club, and damaging us to a point where it’ll take another decade to sort out the inevitable mess he will leave us
And that’s your usual too far the other side.

The preliminary finals and grand final years are obvious examples given above that speak to competence.

But I think there are good arguments that Ricky’s coaching has deficiencies which also have contributed to a significant number of poor seasons.

I’d love to see him address them and stick around and have further success at the Raiders. But the press conference hurt fans last night as it didn’t acknowledge any issues really. Just painted all as peachy except for bad luck, in a game where the other team got run over by the luck train.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

One of the reasons i'm fairly confident that Ricky Stuart isnt going anywhere any time soon regardless of results is because of that post
We're all hardcore fans here, and not just hardcore fans, generally hardcore football nuts, we're trying to get into the weeds of everything raiders

there is a lot more of people like bluesbrother than we on this site care to admit.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pathetic isn't it.

This place is woke.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Thanks for the replies. Rickamando, go and have a look at the 2019 grandfinal teams on paper and consider that we got within 6 points of a premiership and were in many regards the better side on the night. That's a pretty fair result coaching wise. You saying the club is in poor shape is very wide of the mark. The tigers, knights, warriors, dogs are in poor shape. We have some great talent coming through with the likes of Savage, Kris, Timoko, Smith-Sheilds, Mooney, Esera, Rushton and many beneath them with promise.

No doubt Ricky has his deficiencies, I'm yet to come across a human that doesn't but he has done a fair job with the opportunities presented. Could it have been better? Absolutely, and as fans we hope he does recognise that. I'd point to the large turnover of staff over the off season of an admission that the team of staff assembled over recent years wasn't up to it.

The one obvious factor that isn't spoken about enough is that the raiders are consistently at a disadvantage in the player market. Canberra doesn't have the appeal of the roosters or the storm for many sub 30 year olds so we are playing with a team that is often, on paper, no where near the opposition. Again though, the fact Ricky recognised this, diversified the recruitment strategy and got better results than those before him, apart from sheens, speaks to the fact that the man has some idea about what he is doing.

We are now in a position where we grow our talent and cherry pick where we can to fill the holes. That's about as good as we can hope for, unless the NRL gets serious about evening the playing field.

And GE, yes appreciate the work you do to keep us informed. Thank you.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coaching issues

Post by gangrenous »

Bluesbrother wrote:The one obvious factor that isn't spoken about enough is that the raiders are consistently at a disadvantage in the player market.
Three times a week on the GH not enough for you? Image

We’ve had this argument on here more than Billy has had birthdays.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Ultima, what and who is your solution? Sacking coaches is fine if you have someone better coming in. I can't see anyone out there who, 1. We could land and 2. Could do a better job.

If you coach in the NRL you know a bit about rugby league. The fact is, players win games and players lose games but many seem to think that players win games and coaches lose games. It's just not reality.

And GE, I agree the press conferences are often vague and not insightful for fans. But if you put yourself in Ricky's shoes and you know, last night for example, that we just didn't have the guidance and composure to win that game (our spine wasn't up to winning it) do you come out publicly and say that? Or do you address it privately? If Ricky came out and said that how does that 1. Make the players feel and 2. Help them turn it around? It doesn't.

Managing people is hard work and in Ricky's view I think he is constantly weighing up what to say publicly because he knows how the media is. They jump on anything and make it bigger. E.g if he walks in last night and says "Fogarty should have stepped up and iced that last 15 minutes but he wasnt up to it". The media runs a circus all week and Fogarty is no closer to being the player he needs to be to ice those games. So he dishes up an explanation that bewilders the fans but keeps Fogarty out of the press and closer to being the player we need him to be. Not saying Ricky always gets it right but I am saying there is often a lot more to it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Appreciate your perspective and posting, and i hope you continue to post. But i reject that "reality" completely.

If that were the reality why have a coach at all? What value to do they bring if its all just player driven? And why do great coaches figure out ways to continually succeed inspite of player turn over? Luck? No. That's nonsense.

Players and coaches win and lose games together. A great coach will struggle to win with an untalented roster and a talented roster wont achieve much with a coach who isnt up to the task.
That's the reality of it.

We are lacking talent and ball playing in the key positions and we are also lacking in coaching. It's also vital to remember this roster is Stuarts. No head coach in the league has more roster control than Stuart because you simply cant have more than him. Others might have much, but not more. He's the man. This is his team. If it lacks for talent and ability in the key positions it's on him.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Thanks, Botman. The point I am making there is that coaches cop a lot more than players regarding results. It's much easier to get rid of 1 bloke than it is to clean out the roster. But yes, I agree it's a partnership that ultimately generates sustained success. My point with Ricky is that it's not always a fair fight and the elite clubs have many more talented players. And/Or they have a once in a generation coach like Bellamy. I'd love to see him here but that won't happen. In the case of Ricky, he is a good coach as he has garnered success with rosters that are lesser than their rivals and players who have come to the Raiders in his tenure have improved. I can't think of any who have gone down hill under him?

Your point about him having say over the roster is a bit limited as yes, he does have the ultimate say but it's not like everyone is available. I personally (and so would Ricky) would have rathered we sign Cleary, DCE or Munster instead of Fogarty over the offseason but that wasn't an option. I also wouldn't mind David Fafita on an edge but that wasn't possible either so we got CHN. It's ultimately Ricky's call but he can't just get whoever he wants. My point is he is doing well with the cards he has.
Last edited by Bluesbrother on June 12, 2022, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think as a highly experienced coach, Ricky should be much better in the press conferences.

I agree it is preferable that he’s not overly critical of the players in a public forum, or call out individuals. But he has done both just this year. He’s also speaking to the members and supporters in press conferences, something I think he too often forgets. They deserve explanations too. If he hasn’t worked out how to do that, he should get some assistance.

Then there’s the messages he’s giving out. He often says we just need a bit more luck and we’d have won. He did that last night. And I don’t know of any other coach that chooses to give that sort of message publicly to the fans and their players. It’s the worst sort of excuse to make to the fans, and the worst message to give the players. The club’s sports psychologist should be steering him in a better direction. I’ve often written before that Jack Gibson used to say that good teams make their own luck. That’s the message he should be giving. It’s 101 sports psych. He even acknowledged that and still went on to fall back on the excuse last night. It avoids accountability. After a disappointing loss, I found the press conference only magnified the disappointment.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Bluesbrother wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:04 pm Thanks for the replies. Rickamando, go and have a look at the 2019 grandfinal teams on paper and consider that we got within 6 points of a premiership and were in many regards the better side on the night. That's a pretty fair result coaching wise. You saying the club is in poor shape is very wide of the mark. The tigers, knights, warriors, dogs are in poor shape. We have some great talent coming through with the likes of Savage, Kris, Timoko, Smith-Sheilds, Mooney, Esera, Rushton and many beneath them with promise.

No doubt Ricky has his deficiencies, I'm yet to come across a human that doesn't but he has done a fair job with the opportunities presented. Could it have been better? Absolutely, and as fans we hope he does recognise that. I'd point to the large turnover of staff over the off season of an admission that the team of staff assembled over recent years wasn't up to it.

The one obvious factor that isn't spoken about enough is that the raiders are consistently at a disadvantage in the player market. Canberra doesn't have the appeal of the roosters or the storm for many sub 30 year olds so we are playing with a team that is often, on paper, no where near the opposition. Again though, the fact Ricky recognised this, diversified the recruitment strategy and got better results than those before him, apart from sheens, speaks to the fact that the man has some idea about what he is doing.

We are now in a position where we grow our talent and cherry pick where we can to fill the holes. That's about as good as we can hope for, unless the NRL gets serious about evening the playing field.

is our position in the player market more disadvantaged by being in Canberra or by dud decisions like tying up $1.3m of our cap each year in ridiculously over extended and overpaid contracts to guys no-one else wanted to sign and who are no longer FG standard?
I say the latter.

There are other coaches players want to play for. An ambitious club will try to get those coaches in.

We got within 6 points of a trophy 3 years ago... How long does Ricky dine out on the almost coulda shouldabeen? It was 3 years ago! He stuffed the chance straight afterward by not refreshing/improving the squad and resting on his laurels and the "good bloke" factor. Which might be forgiveable- if it wasn't the EXACT SAME fault he made after 2016, leading to 2 more seasons of dross in that case.

He keeps making the same mistakes. And they are not even hard mistakes to forsee. It's as dumb and repetitive as his bench use. You'd THINK you use the impact hooker just before and after halftime and the controller to start and finish... but no... repeatedly...

The press conferences... Yeah I guess we don't deserve straight answers or honestly. Just condescending crap and aggression to journo's who ask real questions. Try watching a Trent Robinson presser- win or lose he treats _everyone_ involved in the game with respect and answers in a way as open, transparent and forthcoming as he can be. Night and day. We get treated like idiots by Ricky for giving a crap or showing interest, it's awful.

The "Ricky alone can solve it" is rubbish. Get a proper CEO in, not the family farm nepotism choice, a proper admin and let them select the best coach. Raiders have an enviable financial position, a one team town advantage, a cost of living advantage and many bike paths - a professional outfit could make a go of it here but we have a Stockholm Syndrome to the same old stooges who've overseen decades of mediocrity and tell us it's luck and the bounce of the ball every week.

Ricky did well for us. I appreciate it. But I reckon he's taken the squad as far as it can go and I've thought that for a couple of years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to agree that Trent Robinson almost always seems to get the messaging in press conferences exactly right.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Bluesbrother wrote: June 12, 2022, 5:38 pm I have always enjoyed reading the greenhouse for updates on player movements and following the lower grades but have never posted a comment but the continual dribble that is posted in here is remarkable. I don't understand the continual bagging of Ricky. The club's relevance has never existed without him involved. In regards to results, the club has never made it past a semi final without Ricky. In regards to community engagement the club was in the doldrums before his return and is now thriving with huge growth in memberships and involvement with many community related good causes. The club has rarely featured in the headlines for negative player culture and behaviour, in fact many have turned their fortunes here under Ricky. Glory days aside, before Ricky's return the club's biggest recruitment coup was a washed up Matt Orford, now we actually sign players of representative quality. If you take a look at our new base in Braddon, that would not have happened without Ricky and his relationship with John Bariloro, leading to the partnership between NSW and ACT governments to fund that project. I'm all for success but the definition of success from many on this forum is very limited. Without Ricky the club has never been successful on or off the field and history has proven that.
Doesn't make him a good coach!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:30 pm I have to agree that Trent Robinson almost always seems to get the messaging in press conferences exactly right.
Thank you for finding the positive in my diatribe.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Trent Robinson also happens to be a great coach otherwise haha
But remember that time where his team suffered a catastrophic injury crisis to key players and they had a bad year?

pepperidge farm remembers
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

As I've said before, I would prefer to gamble on a new coach than stick with the guy I know is relying on "luck" and the "bounce of the ball" to win us a premiership!

If our management wasn't so inept we may have been able to lure Belamy here. He wasn't signed on for next year, we could have presented him with a huge hard sell... but no, we have no drive for excellence, lets just stick with what we've got sure there is no real signs pointing to any sort of growth or improvement, learning from mistakes, etc. but he'll come good soon I bet!

Roll the dice with a new coach, sure we may end up exactly where we are now but we could also luck out and get someone who is a diamond grade coach who can get the best out of our players and knows how to use a damn bench!

Again Stuart isn't a lump of coal but more of a cubic zirconia... He is never going to be the diamond we need but that seems to be enough for some...
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

you're only as good as your last game and that was a bad loss the another night, a stinker. They were down to 13 men and we had a ton of possession and field position - should have won it easily. Sticky's "how dare you question me, I know what I'm doing" attitude as press conferences doesn't do him any favours.
He also comes across like he's driven by proving the media wrong when he shouldn't care what they say or think, he should be focussing on building combinations and developing players in his team. The guy is a legend but he's always had a bit of a petulant, entitled attitude, ever since he was a player.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:23 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:04 pm Thanks for the replies. Rickamando, go and have a look at the 2019 grandfinal teams on paper and consider that we got within 6 points of a premiership and were in many regards the better side on the night. That's a pretty fair result coaching wise. You saying the club is in poor shape is very wide of the mark. The tigers, knights, warriors, dogs are in poor shape. We have some great talent coming through with the likes of Savage, Kris, Timoko, Smith-Sheilds, Mooney, Esera, Rushton and many beneath them with promise.

is our position in the player market more disadvantaged by being in Canberra or by dud decisions like tying up $1.3m of our cap each year in ridiculously over extended and overpaid contracts to guys no-one else wanted to sign and who are no longer FG standard?
I say the latter.

There are other coaches players want to play for. An ambitious club will try to get those coaches in.

We got within 6 points of a trophy 3 years ago... How long does Ricky dine out on the almost coulda shouldabeen? It was 3 years ago! He stuffed the chance straight afterward by not refreshing/improving the squad and resting on his laurels and the "good bloke" factor. Which might be forgiveable- if it wasn't the EXACT SAME fault he made after 2016, leading to 2 more seasons of dross in that case.

He keeps making the same mistakes. And they are not even hard mistakes to forsee. It's as dumb and repetitive as his bench use. You'd THINK you use the impact hooker just before and after halftime and the controller to start and finish... but no... repeatedly...

The press conferences... Yeah I guess we don't deserve straight answers or honestly. Just condescending crap and aggression to journo's who ask real questions. Try watching a Trent Robinson presser- win or lose he treats _everyone_ involved in the game with respect and answers in a way as open, transparent and forthcoming as he can be. Night and day. We get treated like idiots by Ricky for giving a crap or showing interest, it's awful.

The "Ricky alone can solve it" is rubbish. Get a proper CEO in, not the family farm nepotism choice, a proper admin and let them select the best coach. Raiders have an enviable financial position, a one team town advantage, a cost of living advantage and many bike paths - a professional outfit could make a go of it here but we have a Stockholm Syndrome to the same old stooges who've overseen decades of mediocrity and tell us it's luck and the bounce of the ball every week.

Ricky did well for us. I appreciate it. But I reckon he's taken the squad as far as it can go and I've thought that for a couple of years.
Fantastic post, I agree with everything said here 110%.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Cmon guys I'm sure these old crocodiles have grand kids ready to take the baton of mediocrity, and sell it as luck.

This place is woke.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:

I say the latter.

Image spot on! Image