Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Surely it's time?

Post by thedevilingreen »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:44 pm How does Don Furner get a free pass here?
Oh no he and the board need to go as well. Boardroom needs to turn into an episode of Game of Thrones.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It's time for Ricky to go. Any organisation outside the Canberra Raiders - whether it is a public company or sporting body, would fire him for non performance

It's better for the Raiders to part with him now than go through a season without hope. It will get worse.

Ricky's had his time as a head coach

Time to put the overhead projector on Ricky with your own name on it
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We are a property and pokies enterprise presided over by an old boys Queanbeyan mafia.

This enterprise incidentally has a footy team as a side vanity project.

They don’t care about it. They don’t care about the fans. They don’t care about results.

We are the suckers here.
Up The Milk
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Ultima wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:47 pm Here are the great bench utilisation calls made during that game:

*Time in brackets is "Time on field" vs "Time off field" with ten minutes counted for half time.

#1 20th minute, Starling (0/20) on for Papalii (20/0).
#2 28th minute, Horsburgh (0/28) on for Tapine (28/0).
#3 33rd minute, Rushton (0/33) on for Elliott (33/0).
HIA 48th minute, Elliot (33/25) on for CHN (48/10)
#4 51st minute, Papalii (20/41) on for Sutton (51/10).
#5 56th minute, Tapine (28/36) on for Rushton (23/43).
#HIAR* 60th minute, CHN (48/22) on for Horsburgh (32/38).
#6 70th minute, Sutton (51/29) on for CHN (58/22) *Yes, really, after he had only been back on the field for less than ten minutes*.
#7 76th minute, Horsburgh (32/54) on for Papalii (45/41).
#8 78th minute, Rushton (23/55) on for Tapine (48/36). *Why?
~Golden Point~
#9 80th minute, Tapine (48/38) on for Rushton (25/55). *WHY EVEN MORE?!?!?!

CHK - (0/90)....
Just been chatting about this with others... No one can work out why we used the bench the way we did... We all watched the game... Every time we looked gassed we seemed to ignore our bench... We left CHN on there for the entire time... We swapped Rushton off for less than two minutes then put him back on for the player he just replaced but STILL didn't put CHK on?!?!?!

Player utilisation ascending:
CNK - 0 Minutes.
Rushton - 27 Minutes.
Horsburgh - 36 Minutes.
Papalii - 46 Minutes.
Tapine - 51 Minutes.
CHN - 58 Minutes.
Starling - 61 Minutes.
Sutton - 62 Minutes.
Elliott - 66 Minutes.

Who the **** uses the bench like this? Who thinks that Papalii should only have gotten 46 minutes? If you're not confident in using Rushton for a decent run, we are wasting TWO bench spaces ****!
Last edited by Ultima on April 30, 2022, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

**** him off.

No cushy “transition” job to head of football, bleeding green ambassador etc etc. he’s had more than a fair shake.

Get this cancer out of our system ASAP. Rick - thank you for your service, but you’re a myth of a coach, and you’re yesterday’s hero. GTFO
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

And we are about to be in the hot seat for the spoon! Come on Bulldogs!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Whilst the tactics of this team is obviously ****, the team selections drive me mad too.

Fullback snd lock in particular.

I get that Savage may be raw and will make errors however all off season he was our contingency plan after CNK. Has a really good trial at FB and is clearly a future gun, yet we put a stop gap in Rapa ahead of him? Not exactly like CNK and Rapa are error free either, so that argument is bollocks.

At lock- we reportedly spent the off season investing in ball playing at 13 yet after 3 games we go back to just using the position as a 3rd prop. If Whitehead is not the answer, why not Rushton or Mooney who play that role properly?

Is such a poorly prepared and planned team and you wonder what we actually did in the off season which prompted so many stop gap and unproductive decisions after only 1 month.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider47 wrote: May 1, 2022, 8:06 am Whilst the tactics of this team is obviously ****, the team selections drive me mad too.

I get that Savage may be raw and will make errors however all off season he was our contingency plan after CNK. Has a really good trial at FB and is clearly a future gun, yet we put a stop gap in Rapa ahead of him? Not exactly like CNK and Rapa are error free either, so that argument is bollocks.

At lock- we reportedly spent the off season investing in ball playing at 13 yet after 3 games we go back to just using the position as a 3rd prop. If Whitehead is not the answer, why not Rushton or Mooney who play that role properly?

Is such a poorly prepared and planned team and you wonder what we actually did in the off season which prompted so many stop gap and unproductive decisions after only 1 month.
Yup bizarre selections and a lack of fitness, preseason was wasted again.

The stopgaps is a coach feeling the pressure and only looking a week ahead at any given stage. He just wants a win to reduce the pressure so he keeps going back to playing veterans out of position. Irony being we probably win that game yesterday with Savage at FB.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think the genuine lack of flexibility and strategy around the bench usage and rotation is actually a major factor in our poor second halves. Stuart has just never been able to use his bench effectively, and it’s clearly sticking out like a sore thumb in the modern game.

I’m sure it’s why we just get rolled in the second half, because rather than using the bench to keep the players fresh and maintain momentum, he seemingly rotates the bench based on instructions he setup on Tuesday when he picked the team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:34 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:31 pm
Raiders666 wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:24 pm So many clubs get a new coach and nothing changes... results very rarely change. If we get a new coach he must be given time... It generally takes 3 season for a coach to make a difference.
Well we don't exactly rush coaches out the door at the Raiders so at the moment, I think the risk of sacking the next coach too early should be a fair way down our list of worries, ok?
I probably didn't say it right.. I'm just trying to temper my expectations because it's going to take a while to turn this rabble around.
Yeah, usually takes a season or 2 just to get the roster they want/clear the decks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I feel like every new coach should be given a three year opportunity. You’ve got your first year just doing the best with what you’ve got, your second year should really be starting the improve and you’ve at least got your structure and on-field style and tactics in place...

Third year you should really have your roster and structure in place, and if your team still blows, you should be fired into the nearest lake.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raider47 wrote: May 1, 2022, 8:06 am Whilst the tactics of this team is obviously ****, the team selections drive me mad too.

Yes.

When people talk about succesful clubs making it easier/getting the most out of their low $$$ players or rookies it's because they know what job to do, the team knows their job and the team knows the way they play no matter who is in the jersey. Those guys have been grooving that in reggies but get to FG, have their wings clipped and all of a sudden there's props at lock etc.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The Nickman wrote:I feel like every new coach should be given a three year opportunity. You’ve got your first year just doing the best with what you’ve got, your second year should really be starting the improve and you’ve at least got your structure and on-field style and tactics in place...

Third year you should really have your roster and structure in place, and if your team still blows, you should be fired into the nearest lake.
Imagepretty much, fresh eyes and all that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Obviously this all comes from the top too, but I'm also thinking it's the entire club attitude... We just don't seem like an actual professional side anymore, it's much more dad's army...

For example I always assumed that being professional athletes that after a match you would have some wind down session, some light physio, then basically sleep it off. Instead, win or lose, it always seems to be "lets go hit the clubs" and they all go out to get **** faced...

I get that they aren't robots but considering they only have to work for half the year wouldn't you at least pretend your a professional athlete for that time period? I just can't see how after we yet again get flogged in the second half that drinking yourself into unconsciousness is the next best move and it always boggles my mind that so few of them seem to have the dedication to keep it together.

Their entire routine seem to be wrong for a professional unit, I'm sure other teams do the same but at the same time I'm pretty sure that the reason the Storm boys only get caught during the offseason is they are given a much shorter leash during the season.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Petition to change the thread title to:

“Coach the Issue”
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote:Petition to change the thread title to:

“Coach the Issue”
Seconded
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I think Stuarts main downfall is he has recruited horribly since 2019.
Lets analyse his key signings since joining Raiders

2014 - Rapana
2015 - Hodgson, Leilua, Austin
2016 - Sezer, Tapine, Whitehead, Paulo
2017 - Taylor
2018 - n/a
2019: Bateman, CNK
2020: G Williams, Scott
2021: n/a
2022: Cotric, Fogarty

As above we had a flurry of good signings in the early years and most of those players went on to play in the 2019 and 2020 finals. But since then it has been slim pickings, and most of the talent we did sign is no longer at the Raiders.

I don’t think many of us thought of Stewart as a great or even good coach, but most of us recognised his ability to recruit well, and often good recruitment and squad depth can paper over cracks and deficiencies in coaching. In retrospect the 2019 GF was probably the worst thing to happen to Stuart and the Raiders, as we became complacent in our recruiting strategy and failed to revitalise the squad, instead relying on ageing existing players and unproven youth to carry on the success.

The lesson is this. Always ALWAYS continue to recruit the best players you can and never EVER rest on your laurels and think what worked today will work tomorrow. Essentially this is what I think separates clubs like Canberra from clubs like Melbourne, they are ruthless about achieving success and leave no stone unturned across all areas of the operation, whereas Raiders are probably a bit more old school, choosing loyalty and faith in youth over pragmatism in the player market. For Melbourne its probably an advantage not having much of a junior footy program down there, as it means they invest all of their focus and resources poaching talent from QLD and NSW rather than getting all hung up on cliches like loyalty.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

So How much of this do you guys reckon is psychological? It has to take a new coach to change the mood surely
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I don't see how this team can just turn into plodders all of a sudden.. At the start of last year we thought we had too much depth.
I get 1 or 2 players out of form but half the team is in career worst form.
It has to be a mental thing and therefore a coaching thing. Time for a change and I'm a Ricky apologist! You can only listen to a voice for so long.
Wins would fix it and it's amazing what momentum does but that's not going to happen.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Our team is largely plodders I'm sorry. The game has changed a lot in a couple of years and many of them just aren't cut out for the faster style of play. I also think a number of players have reached their peak and a now on the downward spiral and there were signs of this last year as well.

Yes we have a major psychological problem but I don't think addressing that is really going to fix anything in isolation

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fox League just posted a big graphic on Instagram, "Is Ricky Stuart a protected species?"

Most comments are saying yes he is, but still a fair number saying it's the player's fault, that Ricky should be given a chance to rebuild

There are also a lot of "**** off Fox" comments lol. There seems to be a decently sized contingent of people who hate them, think they bag the players and coaches too much. I wonder if that came from The Locker Room etc, which gives a more player-first narrative. Or it could just be overspill from a general distrust of the media in other areas
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fox Sports? More like bag out the players Sports.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: May 3, 2022, 9:53 am Fox Sports? More like bag out the players Sports.
🤣
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

I can see this is gonna get very messy before it gets better
Perth Based Raiders Fan
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

What was telling for me was how unfit Whitehead looked in the 13 role...
The fact that he asked not to continue in that role and that we had no apparent back up plan for him 'opting out' is ridiculous...

Where was the planning? Why wasn't someone like Mooney or Rushton shadowing the role in the offseason in case our 'master plan' failed?

So many stupid **** examples...

However ultimately I don't think Ricky is held accountable because as mentioned by Mickey_Raider earlier in this thread, the football team is a vanity project and comes dead last when the Board look at the Club's priorities...

I feel like we really need to bottom out before the suits are forced to do something to justify their fat salaries...
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Fox Sports? More like bag out the players Sports.
Hahaha come here you boofhead!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Ultima wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:30 pm Obviously this all comes from the top too, but I'm also thinking it's the entire club attitude... We just don't seem like an actual professional side anymore, it's much more dad's army...

For example I always assumed that being professional athletes that after a match you would have some wind down session, some light physio, then basically sleep it off. Instead, win or lose, it always seems to be "lets go hit the clubs" and they all go out to get **** faced...

I get that they aren't robots but considering they only have to work for half the year wouldn't you at least pretend your a professional athlete for that time period? I just can't see how after we yet again get flogged in the second half that drinking yourself into unconsciousness is the next best move and it always boggles my mind that so few of them seem to have the dedication to keep it together.

Their entire routine seem to be wrong for a professional unit, I'm sure other teams do the same but at the same time I'm pretty sure that the reason the Storm boys only get caught during the offseason is they are given a much shorter leash during the season.
The storm boys are probably worse actually, the difference is they win. Some of the things the storm boys do before games if it got out would get them sacked from some clubs. Winning covers up a lot.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is the coach getting any help/advice reference the use of the bench ?

I see Matt Ford sitting down on the sideline with the headset in direct communication with Ricky but how about the posse in the box who are with Ricky ?

Cappy, Kenny Rogers etc.

Are these guys in a position to say something to the coach ?

And do they ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Kenny Rogers is there to raise the good looking Rooster bar to the max.

And he’s doing his job beautifully
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 5, 2022, 6:47 pm Kenny Rogers is there to raise the good looking Rooster bar to the max.

And he’s doing his job beautifully
Underwear model..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We put a value on every NRL coach to see which clubs are getting the best deals

8 Ricky Stuart
Coaching record: 19 seasons, 451 games, 224 wins, 4 grand finals, 1 win
Career strike rate: 49.7 per cent
Open market value: $750,000

Pulls in about $850,000-a-year after making a grand final in 2019 and a prelim in 2020. For all his critics what no one in Canberra would dispute is that Stuart is the single biggest reason the Raiders remain relevant. He has one of the biggest voices in the game and is not afraid to go into battle when it comes to defending his club. I don’t think the day will ever come where he would want to coach at another club, but he will keep the job in Canberra as long as he wants it.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ea77d668ea

Probably a fair bit of fiction in the list, but interesting nonetheless.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Who the **** writes this ****? Brew?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: May 12, 2022, 5:50 am Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Personality cult helpless in the face of unknowable obstacles vs professionally administered club which owns or systematically implements processes to improve/excel
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: May 12, 2022, 5:50 am Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Yet more of his media mates, they seem to be endless
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

BadnMean wrote: May 12, 2022, 8:24 am

Personality cult helpless in the face of unknowable obstacles vs professionally administered club which owns or systematically implements processes to improve/excel
Succinct analysis there BnM.

But prepare however to have your face shoved as soon as we start getting the bounce of the ball, I believe that’s what Rick and the club think is the only thing standing in the way of these blokes winning a premiership