All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:23 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:04 pm Thanks for the replies. Rickamando, go and have a look at the 2019 grandfinal teams on paper and consider that we got within 6 points of a premiership and were in many regards the better side on the night. That's a pretty fair result coaching wise. You saying the club is in poor shape is very wide of the mark. The tigers, knights, warriors, dogs are in poor shape. We have some great talent coming through with the likes of Savage, Kris, Timoko, Smith-Sheilds, Mooney, Esera, Rushton and many beneath them with promise.

No doubt Ricky has his deficiencies, I'm yet to come across a human that doesn't but he has done a fair job with the opportunities presented. Could it have been better? Absolutely, and as fans we hope he does recognise that. I'd point to the large turnover of staff over the off season of an admission that the team of staff assembled over recent years wasn't up to it.

The one obvious factor that isn't spoken about enough is that the raiders are consistently at a disadvantage in the player market. Canberra doesn't have the appeal of the roosters or the storm for many sub 30 year olds so we are playing with a team that is often, on paper, no where near the opposition. Again though, the fact Ricky recognised this, diversified the recruitment strategy and got better results than those before him, apart from sheens, speaks to the fact that the man has some idea about what he is doing.

We are now in a position where we grow our talent and cherry pick where we can to fill the holes. That's about as good as we can hope for, unless the NRL gets serious about evening the playing field.

And GE, yes appreciate the work you do to keep us informed. Thank you.
is our position in the player market more disadvantaged by being in Canberra or by dud decisions like tying up $1.3m of our cap each year in ridiculously over extended and overpaid contracts to guys no-one else wanted to sign and who are no longer FG standard?
I say the latter.

There are other coaches players want to play for. An ambitious club will try to get those coaches in.

We got within 6 points of a trophy 3 years ago... How long does Ricky dine out on the almost coulda shouldabeen? It was 3 years ago! He stuffed the chance straight afterward by not refreshing/improving the squad and resting on his laurels and the "good bloke" factor. Which might be forgiveable- if it wasn't the EXACT SAME fault he made after 2016, leading to 2 more seasons of dross in that case.

He keeps making the same mistakes. And they are not even hard mistakes to forsee. It's as dumb and repetitive as his bench use. You'd THINK you use the impact hooker just before and after halftime and the controller to start and finish... but no... repeatedly...

The press conferences... Yeah I guess we don't deserve straight answers or honestly. Just condescending crap and aggression to journo's who ask real questions. Try watching a Trent Robinson presser- win or lose he treats _everyone_ involved in the game with respect and answers in a way as open, transparent and forthcoming as he can be. Night and day. We get treated like idiots by Ricky for giving a crap or showing interest, it's awful.

The "Ricky alone can solve it" is rubbish. Get a proper CEO in, not the family farm nepotism choice, a proper admin and let them select the best coach. Raiders have an enviable financial position, a one team town advantage, a cost of living advantage and many bike paths - a professional outfit could make a go of it here but we have a Stockholm Syndrome to the same old stooges who've overseen decades of mediocrity and tell us it's luck and the bounce of the ball every week.

Ricky did well for us. I appreciate it. But I reckon he's taken the squad as far as it can go and I've thought that for a couple of years.
Completely agree with this.

1. We hamper ourselves with the recruitment and retention.

2. We hamper ourselves by not subjecting Ricky to KPIs which every other senior employee of an organisation would have. We are tracking for another 10th place finish.

3. Really don't understand what happens after half time - this year already Cowboys, Warriors, Parra and Broncos games we were leading at half time. And in games we weren't such as the 1st Cowboys game, Manly, Storm and Penrith - it got worse. That is just this year. Last year and 2017-18 the same.

4. Bench use has been bad for several years with players (and wives complaining). Tactics have been bad.

5. We haven't recruited anyone good in the last few years since the GF - just rejects that either were let go or had their contract terminated - think CHN, Adam Elliott and Curtis Scott. Cotric was let go by Canterbury as he was too expensive. Only player of note is G Williams but that didn't go down well.

6. Canterbury, Wests and Warriors will only improve with a new coach. Brisbane have gone past us.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hearing what Nathan Brown has said in the last week I'd really like to have him onboard our staff. His triple m comments on Saturday were a really great insight

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:26 pm Hearing what Nathan Brown has said in the last week I'd really like to have him onboard our staff. His triple m comments on Saturday were a really great insight

What did he say (I presume it was about us).
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Good to see the super coach learn from last weeks mistakes and dropped the real issue out there... Schiller... And realistically the only reason he made that change is Rapana is back from suspension. I just really hope we have some extra special plans for our bench... A game against a team like the Knights are right now should be the perfect opertunity to try something different. Wighton back to centre, Fog and Frawley in the halves, something different somewhere....

Nope... same old same old. I expect our bench utilisation to be pretty much on track with the last two week as well. Woolford for the first 50, then Starling for the final 30. Two players to sit out the entire first half. One player to do no more than 15 minutes... Only use seven of our interchanges unless absolutely necessary to use more because Stuart's bonus must be tied to the number of interchanges we don't use in a season...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:
bonehead wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:26 pm Hearing what Nathan Brown has said in the last week I'd really like to have him onboard our staff. His triple m comments on Saturday were a really great insight

What did he say (I presume it was about us).
no it was generalised about how coaches need help with roster and man management, that Maguire was seen as a good coach at souths because he had Shane Richardson in the background but once he was at a club where he didn't have that he struggled, admitted Sheens is a guy who should help turn that tide, that a lot of good coaches aren't getting the support they need especially at a club like the warriors where they constantly turn over coaches.
He said he feels he'd have a lot to offer in that roster and guidance of young players area, never wants to head coach again.
IMO we really struggle converting gun juniors to nrl players, we've had very competitive juniors for a long time but those young guys converting to nrl seems a huge gap.
I've always been a fan of Brown's ability to identify talent right back to his dragons days where he said his philosophy was to find the best kids and nurture them to be their best.

Edrick The Entertainer
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

yeah, no thanks
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's got a reasonably strong history of identifying and developing young talent, clearly he cant **** coach but i certainly wouldnt be opposed to bringing him in for a specific role if he's serious about understanding his HC days are over.

Philosophically, i like the idea of having guys in the coaches room who have found and accepted their level and role.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yeah , Rocky can be Chief "on the pizz with the brah's" exec.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Big no to Brown from me. His body language is atrocious - he looks like he's resigned to losing before a ball has been kicked in anger. I get he does the "free and frank" admission that the Warriors didn't necessarily enter every game expecting to win or make the 8, but seriously with every game being a one-off you shouldn't be resigned to losing before kick-off. I just think his energy is all wrong for a struggling club -maybe he could add something at a club where there's already a winning culture embedded. But then why would they need him...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:57 am He's got a reasonably strong history of identifying and developing young talent, clearly he cant **** coach but i certainly wouldnt be opposed to bringing him in for a specific role if he's serious about understanding his HC days are over.

Philosophically, i like the idea of having guys in the coaches room who have found and accepted their level and role.
Brown is also the bloke who recommended Hodgson to us (Josh not Brett). He's good at some things, and I can't imagine our current assistant coaches would be in demand anywhere else, so why should we want them either?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
LastRaider wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:21 am
Rick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I was so disappointed with the performance in the second half. Again. And then the coach came on and told us that all they needed was a bit of luck and they might get some luck next week and might win. Luck! Seriously, we are just waiting for a bit of luck. That's the coaching philosophy. And now I'm just mad. So cranky. I might calm down by tomorrow morning.
Luck.

Or how about;

Move on some of the dead wood; Croker and Whitehead (Wayne may be keen with the below as a package deal)

Get rid of the under-performers; Starling, CHN and CNK.

And stop selecting those who are going; Sutton and Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for forward to reading a fired up GE write the Greeneyed report today

You'd need a projector to cut that many at once.

Reality is we have Croker and Elliot on the books for at least another couple of years. CHN too. We can't move them on unless they voluntarily give up a million dollars AND retire from the sport. No one does that. We might be able to move CHN on and just pay some freight. But he's the most likely to have years of good footy in him.

CNK, Starling? I'd have CNK in my squad but if he wants a start he'd have to go elsewhere or battle for a centre spot. I think Starling can be effective, there just needs to be some balance in how he plays. A video session on that game with him and Fog looking to strike a better balance between using Tom's running game to get a team retreating and _then_ Fog calling some shots to take advantage of it.

I said before this game that we got a glimpse of where we were at vs Parra- we could hang with a decent team for a while, but then blinked and tried to put the cue in the rack and played one out until we lost. A few weeks later with some more confident we got another go vs a top 4ish team- we did a little better in attack for 60 mins I thought.

Defence was not as solid- mainly because Whitehead was everywhere vs Parra but a bit quieter vs Broncs and we missed some simple one on ones (Kris and whoever got stepped through the middle, didn't catch who myself).

Then the last 20 mins we went frantic- maybe a bit of an over correction to doing nothing vs Parra. Tried to score off every play. A large part of that is on Stick- he either gave Starling the wrong call to run every time or failed to rein him in a bit. Part is on Fog- he's a controlling half, that's the only reason we bought him, he's just cromulent enough at everything else- it was his leadership and direction we wanted. He needs to start delivering that. Step 1 is to get the ball when he wants it...
The attempt to score off every play does my head in. Combine it with basic handling errors and poor passing and it's no wonder we implode.

This team has no poise. Our young backline in particular have no game sense. It really makes Fogarty's lack of game management stand out, although to be fair, it's hard to manage a game if you can't get to the end of your set.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

So with our new look bench for this game our chances of losing to the Knights has increased pretty dramatically...

That said, it appears that losing to the Knights is almost a sackable offense this year. The Knights have beaten the Tigers, Bulldogs, and Warriors and all their coaches were given the **** so here's hoping?

And yes I know they beat the Roosters in round one but round one is always weird (example Cowboys V Bulldogs).
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You're an idiot

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Azza wrote: June 18, 2022, 2:39 pm You're an idiot

Great feedback there, really contributing to the whole feel here. Just so you know, no one is forcing you to read or respond, maybe be less of an unlikeable ****?
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -round-15/

^ Super coach saying errors are the biggest issue (yet not dropping some of the players who consistently cause most of them), then claiming Fogarty isn't going well because he needs "consistency" from Jack, our hookers, and Savage.

Not sure I'm seeing any signs he is actually trying to correct any of these issues so it's even more disturbing that he seems to have an idea on what is wrong but no actual plan to fix it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ultima wrote:

Great feedback there, really contributing to the whole feel here. Just so you know, no one is forcing you to read or respond, maybe be less of an unlikeable ****?
Maybe try being less of an over emotional jerk in game threads and swear a little less, while we're handing out life advice sweetheart Image

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Fight fight fight

Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Azza wrote: June 18, 2022, 4:32 pm
Ultima wrote:

Maybe try being less of an over emotional jerk in game threads and swear a little less, while we're handing out life advice sweetheart Image

Yet I'm not the one going around abusing other forum posters because they dare to have an opinion I don't agree with.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

No but you're the best value

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The broncos have had a million different spine combos this year and seem to be going ok.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Azza please refrain from discouraging Ultima from speaking his truths, I'm finding him extremely progressive.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Ultima wrote: June 18, 2022, 2:22 pm So with our new look bench for this game our chances of losing to the Knights has increased pretty dramatically...

That said, it appears that losing to the Knights is almost a sackable offense this year. The Knights have beaten the Tigers, Bulldogs, and Warriors and all their coaches were given the **** so here's hoping?

And yes I know they beat the Roosters in round one but round one is always weird (example Cowboys V Bulldogs).
If anyone genuinely thinks Ricky will get sacked before the end of the year then they don't know the Raiders

I think he should of been sacked weeks ago and we should of been talking to Cameron Ciraldo to take over..... But hey, I don't want to be abused here because I have a different opinion :P
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

I have a lot of great memories of Stuart as a player. He was easily one of my favourite players from our golden era.

That has all now been erased by how utterly **** and pig headed he is as a coach... He doesn't learn he doesn't adjust, he does the same thing week in, week out, and expects different results...

Even if by some miracle we win this game... ITS THE **** KNIGHTS! We should have FLOGGED THEM!

It's beyond not good enough!

RESIGN ALREADY!
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Literally a miracle to "win" that.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Whilst I don’t think the game today was ever going to be easy (look at our spine ****), it still blows my mind how unorganised we are. Our halves got tackled on the 4th way too many times. My biggest gripe is our halves not digging into the line to create space for our outside backs. Surely our coaching staff have noticed this? Or are the players just ignoring their advice? It’s been going on for years. I’ve seen Jack trying it, but his outside men stand way too flat for it to be effective. I’ve never coached or played at any significant level, so I’m happy to be educated as to why we don’t do it like other sides…..
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ultima wrote:https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -round-15/

^ Super coach saying errors are the biggest issue (yet not dropping some of the players who consistently cause most of them), then claiming Fogarty isn't going well because he needs "consistency" from Jack, our hookers, and Savage.

Not sure I'm seeing any signs he is actually trying to correct any of these issues so it's even more disturbing that he seems to have an idea on what is wrong but no actual plan to fix it.
This place would implode if the player who consistently makes the most errors got dropped.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 19, 2022, 8:39 pm Whilst I don’t think the game today was ever going to be easy (look at our spine ****), it still blows my mind how unorganised we are. Our halves got tackled on the 4th way too many times. My biggest gripe is our halves not digging into the line to create space for our outside backs. Surely our coaching staff have noticed this? Or are the players just ignoring their advice? It’s been going on for years. I’ve seen Jack trying it, but his outside men stand way too flat for it to be effective. I’ve never coached or played at any significant level, so I’m happy to be educated as to why we don’t do it like other sides…..
And the players outside don't push up. It's a mess

I'm not one who thinks it can be fixed just with coaching alone. Good playmakers bring support players with them... It's interesting to listen to Joey Johns and Billy Slater talk about how they would come up with plans and moves mid-week, invent plays and combinations for their outside men... it was a sport for them. Compare it to Starling where no one knows what he's doing, or possibly they don't trust him, so they all just hang back

Vice versa, good support players know what lines to run, when to push up and when to stay back

In saying that... I don't think our coach is very good at coaching it
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Michael Dobson has been the Colts (under 21s) coach and been the pathway manager at Wynnum Seagulls for the past 5 years. QRL.com are reporting that he is finishing up as he has taken an NRL gig next year.

Any chance he has taken a role at the Raiders? He is an old boy which fits our style. Has any one been appointed to Mullholand's role?

Dobson to farewell Wynnum Manly: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06/21/ ... num-manly/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kelly Egan replaced Peter Mulholland.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Stuart has done many good things at the club. He is the reason we became a proper contender in 2019.

What disappoints me most now is how terrible our attack is. The only reason Knights nearly beat us was because we had absolutely no idea what we were doing in attack. None whatsoever.

I am prepared to declare that this is a coaching issue. Sure our spine has been disrupted and it means we cant be a top 4 side.. no issues.. and i dont even mind that we arent in the 8. All that is understandable.

What is unacceptable though is how we look totally hopeless in attack. We rarely look dangerous. The players we have are capable of dishing up better. Its a coaching issue- 100%.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

We look completely disorganised in attack. It's nowhere near where it needs to be, but I can somewhat understand the situation given we have used 5 hookers, 5 halves and a couple of fullbacks in various combinations through the season.

What pisses me off much more is the lack of basic skills. I couldn't give a rat's about set plays, decoy runs or ball playing fullbacks. What I do care about is whether a player can pass the damn ball while they are running with it, or if they can properly secure the thing in contact, or if the dummy half can time his delivery so the thing doesn't go forwards and actually finds the hands of the recipient. Not dropping the ball cold while trying to play it and not kicking it dead on the last tackle would help too.

Basic skill errors in attack are the things that kill me.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 23, 2022, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agree chachi.

Watching Frawley throw it over the sideline and Rapana throw it along the ground from DH makes my head explode.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's usually always a multitude of factors when things aren't going well but we don't look as fit as some other teams and it's been a fairly consistent theme in the past 25 - 30 years, aside from a few random seasons. While other teams are powering through the second half we're crumbling, or the more commonly used expression - fading/faiding.

Watching those top 6 teams we're well off the pace in physicality and endurance alone. It's a fundamental of the game and we get it wrong too often for my liking.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: June 23, 2022, 11:26 am Agree chachi.

Watching Frawley throw it over the sideline and Rapana throw it along the ground from DH makes my head explode.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Cameron Ciraldo turned down the Wests Tigers.

What a great match it would be to get him here. Both for him and us.