Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Coaching issues

Post by The Nickman »

That is genuinely most the ridiculous load of garbage I've ever read.

How did we get to this point where Ricky Stuart IS the club? Was there a hostile takeover somewhere that I missed?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rickmando wrote: May 12, 2022, 9:00 am
BadnMean wrote: May 12, 2022, 8:24 am
The Nickman wrote: May 12, 2022, 5:50 am Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Who the **** writes this ****? Brew?
Personality cult helpless in the face of unknowable obstacles vs professionally administered club which owns or systematically implements processes to improve/excel
Succinct analysis there BnM.

But prepare however to have your face shoved as soon as we start getting the bounce of the ball, I believe that’s what Rick and the club think is the only thing standing in the way of these blokes winning a premiership
I was amazed he spoke about winning a premiership in the press conference after the Bulldogs win. How deluded is he ? He should focus on getting the basics right - like picking the right team every week, use of the bench, not throwing half time leads, and coaching a team to play with discipline.

Seriously, what other NRL teams would employ him? What does he offer? Sound tactics ? Ability to attract players ? He doesn't want to leave because he's not challenged here - he stays whether we underperform, and gets an upgrade when we make the finals. I would rather us to be like the Roosters and ruthless to coaches and players.

Ricky was an elite player but not an elite coach.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

And this garbage about him being bigger than the club is annoying. I like Ricky but it's time for him to perform and earn his wages. We have been mediocre for some time.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 12, 2022, 9:07 am
Rickmando wrote: May 12, 2022, 9:00 am
BadnMean wrote: May 12, 2022, 8:24 am
The Nickman wrote: May 12, 2022, 5:50 am Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Personality cult helpless in the face of unknowable obstacles vs professionally administered club which owns or systematically implements processes to improve/excel
Succinct analysis there BnM.

But prepare however to have your face shoved as soon as we start getting the bounce of the ball, I believe that’s what Rick and the club think is the only thing standing in the way of these blokes winning a premiership
I was amazed he spoke about winning a premiership in the press conference after the Bulldogs win. How deluded is he ? He should focus on getting the basics right - like picking the right team every week, use of the bench, not throwing half time leads, and coaching a team to play with discipline.

Seriously, what other NRL teams would employ him? What does he offer? Sound tactics ? Ability to attract players ? He doesn't want to leave because he's not challenged here - he stays whether we underperform, and gets an upgrade when we make the finals. I would rather us to be like the Roosters and ruthless to coaches and players.

Ricky was an elite player but not an elite coach.
You could argue there’s 2 decades of evidence to support this statement. He’s always got by on reputation from his playing days, and is now in the only place where that name cache is still relevant (Fox Sports league media aside).

There used to be a lot of Rick-heads on here who would jump in to defend him, their arguments mainly based on his (rightful) status as one of the club’s, and sport’s, all time elite players giving him “runs on the board” and a free pass from objective criticism of his coaching methods.

I see now most of those folks have come to Jesus. If only the board would do the same and shoot Bambi. There is no disgrace in moving him on after 8 years in the job. Add in his distinguished playing career - will be forever a legend of the club. But he simply has to go if we are to progress and move our football operations out of 1994 and into 2022
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Rickmando, spot on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Some really solid postings today, I'm gunna start shadow boxing.

This place is woke.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Ultima wrote: April 30, 2022, 6:43 pm
Ultima wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:47 pm Here are the great bench utilisation calls made during that game:

*Time in brackets is "Time on field" vs "Time off field" with ten minutes counted for half time.

#1 20th minute, Starling (0/20) on for Papalii (20/0).
#2 28th minute, Horsburgh (0/28) on for Tapine (28/0).
#3 33rd minute, Rushton (0/33) on for Elliott (33/0).
HIA 48th minute, Elliot (33/25) on for CHN (48/10)
#4 51st minute, Papalii (20/41) on for Sutton (51/10).
#5 56th minute, Tapine (28/36) on for Rushton (23/43).
#HIAR* 60th minute, CHN (48/22) on for Horsburgh (32/38).
#6 70th minute, Sutton (51/29) on for CHN (58/22) *Yes, really, after he had only been back on the field for less than ten minutes*.
#7 76th minute, Horsburgh (32/54) on for Papalii (45/41).
#8 78th minute, Rushton (23/55) on for Tapine (48/36). *Why?
~Golden Point~
#9 80th minute, Tapine (48/38) on for Rushton (25/55). *WHY EVEN MORE?!?!?!

CHK - (0/90)....
Just been chatting about this with others... No one can work out why we used the bench the way we did... We all watched the game... Every time we looked gassed we seemed to ignore our bench... We left CHN on there for the entire time... We swapped Rushton off for less than two minutes then put him back on for the player he just replaced but STILL didn't put CHK on?!?!?!

Player utilisation ascending:
CNK - 0 Minutes.
Rushton - 27 Minutes.
Horsburgh - 36 Minutes.
Papalii - 46 Minutes.
Tapine - 51 Minutes.
CHN - 58 Minutes.
Starling - 61 Minutes.
Sutton - 62 Minutes.
Elliott - 66 Minutes.

Who the **** uses the bench like this? Who thinks that Papalii should only have gotten 46 minutes? If you're not confident in using Rushton for a decent run, we are wasting TWO bench spaces ****!
Papalii’s not fit enough to play more than 50 minutes of NRL these days. Have a look at him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Appreciate the analysis Ultima put in there, but stuff doesn’t add up all over the place.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Were we relevant when Furner was coaching us?

Ricky put Canberra back on the Rugby League map.

Unless we get Bellamy or Bennett we will again become irrelevant!

Stick will turn it around like he has before!
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote: May 12, 2022, 7:10 pm
The Nickman wrote:Boy, what a load of absolute horse****! He’s the only reason we remain relevant as a club? He wouldn’t ever want to coach at another club?

Were we relevant when Furner was coaching us?

Ricky put Canberra back on the Rugby League map.

Unless we get Bellamy or Bennett we will again become irrelevant!

Stick will turn it around like he has before!
Yep. Looks like Brew wrote it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha Brew’s classic “unless we get Bellamy we should never replace our incompetent coach” line never gets old

Oh wait. Yes it does. It gets REAL old. And it’s old now.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I'd say more a Ricky fanbois than a Canberra raiders supporter right there.
Word up its the call word.

This place is woke.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Ricky made us actually competitive for a premiership for the first time in decades.

But to remove emotion for a moment, and the vitriol ‘Ricky IS the raiders, Dave Furner got his teams to finals 2/5 attempts at a 40% strike rate.

Based on the very real likelihood we will miss the 8 this year, Ricky has made 3/9 at 33% strike rate.

Surely the fact he has a lower success rate in making finals than the bloke he replaced is also relevant?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Nup you should just shut up and cop it , he is Canberra apparently.

This place is woke.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Neil Henry 50% finals strike rate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matthew Elliot 80% finals strike rate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Meninga as coach.. 60% finals strike rate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Sheens just under 90% finals strike rate.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

“Real fans” just stick solid, they don’t cite stats!
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Coaching issues

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I would of like to see where henry took us, after the dribble elliot dragged us through, henry was a breath of fresh air and we looked like a Competent football team under him with the same players elliot had.
And to throw all that out the window and then give us furner, what a backwards step that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote:Ricky made us actually competitive for a premiership for the first time in decades.

But to remove emotion for a moment, and the vitriol ‘Ricky IS the raiders, Dave Furner got his teams to finals 2/5 attempts at a 40% strike rate.

Based on the very real likelihood we will miss the 8 this year, Ricky has made 3/9 at 33% strike rate.

Surely the fact he has a lower success rate in making finals than the bloke he replaced is also relevant?
Yep 3/9 is a pretty ordinary strike rate.

The most frustrating thing is we made the Prelim Final or GF in the 3 seasons we made the finals.

Red hot or ice cold. It really is an extraordinary record.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Well, he just slapped Ennis on TV, so that should get him a contract extension alone in all likelihood, granted that's the best thing he has done all year. He is more of a TV personality than a coach.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There is no coaching issues.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

-PJ- wrote: May 15, 2022, 4:55 pm There is no coaching issues.
Pretty sure there still is. We looked good and won a game, that doesn't turn around whatever the hell we were doing for the the rest of the season so far.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ultima wrote: May 15, 2022, 6:54 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 15, 2022, 4:55 pm There is no coaching issues.
Pretty sure there still is. We looked good and won a game, that doesn't turn around whatever the hell we were doing for the the rest of the season so far.
The board have different views.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For those who have often asked the question, Don Furner said today that the Raiders have brought in a sports psychologist. Ricky confirmed it in his presser today. Not just this week.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I would have believed just this week…
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Only used Savage for ten mins today...and only because Cotric came off with a HIA
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

living up to his Mr 40% record.

This place is woke.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We need a fans psychologist as much as the players need a sports psychologist.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

BJ wrote: May 15, 2022, 8:12 pm We need a fans psychologist as much as the players need a sports psychologist.
That would require more of a department than a single person. What nutter would willingly follow this team outside of the truly masochistic is a totally legitimate question I've been asked...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:We need a fans psychologist as much as the players need a sports psychologist.
Fans psychologist? More like bag out the players psychologist
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Probably just a coincidence but we look a much better team with JW out of the side. My theory is when he’s in all of the responsbility falls on his shoulders, and as he lacks some of the skills and situational awareness of a half he is naturally out if his comfort zone and this leads to poor decisions and execution. Additionally the other half (Schneider of Frawley) are forced to play merely a support role for JW rather than being allowed to express themselves as naturally a half wants to do.

Frawley looks a 10x better player in the past two games and I guess it’s no coincidence when him and Schneider have played together in reggies, have a mutual understanding of each others games and are entrusted with the keys to lead the team to victory rather than simply as a mediator between the ball and JW.

Going forward whether its Schneider or Frawley (or Fog), they need to be given a licence a play a dominant role in the halves, which may include taking over kicking duties and 5th tackle options, while JW focuses on his running game which we all know is great.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

rayden83 wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:30 am Probably just a coincidence but we look a much better team with JW out of the side. My theory is when he’s in all of the responsbility falls on his shoulders, and as he lacks some of the skills and situational awareness of a half he is naturally out if his comfort zone and this leads to poor decisions and execution. Additionally the other half (Schneider of Frawley) are forced to play merely a support role for JW rather than being allowed to express themselves as naturally a half wants to do.

Frawley looks a 10x better player in the past two games and I guess it’s no coincidence when him and Schneider have played together in reggies, have a mutual understanding of each others games and are entrusted with the keys to lead the team to victory rather than simply as a mediator between the ball and JW.

Going forward whether its Schneider or Frawley (or Fog), they need to be given a licence a play a dominant role in the halves, which may include taking over kicking duties and 5th tackle options, while JW focuses on his running game which we all know is great.

I was thinking this, but tbh Frawley has always been a good back up for us.

But it’s hard to blame the teams **** performances and dropsies on wighton. For example rapana looked excellent yesterday but some games he is just diabolical and kills us… that’s not Jack’s fault.

I personally would get Frawley in at half and savage in at 1 - with Schneider back to reserves… but I really don’t think it’s a personnel issue
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think a big part of the last few weeks is that Frawley prefers to play on the left, he’s even said so himself

Does it mean I’d play him over Wighton? Hell no