Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by gerg »

If Isaako is on the outer I wouldn't be against throwing him an offer. As a winger I think he has a lot of potential. Plus losing our primary and backup goal kicker needs to be addressed. A good kicker is critical.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: May 19, 2021, 8:28 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 19, 2021, 8:25 pm It may not be prudent to be signing anyone for the back 5 until we know if Croker is playing on or not.

Makes a pretty huge difference to what we go to market with.
Not at all. Hodgson is going, is one of our highest paid players and we already have the inhouse options
So you can pivot that money away from the hooker spot to the back 5 regardless of what happens with Croker.

The Croker situation is not going to resolve itself in time for this Free Agency period. I dont think he's on the books for 2022, and certainly not 2023, but that situation is likely to come to a head in pre-season 2022 or during the season.
It's a long term play.
Wasn't aware Hodgo was going. There's been some speculation but what makes you so sure?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: May 19, 2021, 9:09 pm
Wasn't aware Hodgo was going. There's been some speculation but what makes you so sure?
Heavily linked with another club which leaks like a sieve, steps down from the captaincy, which was only reported by leaks from the player, rumours of issues with player and coach, squashed enough to get it off the back pages sure, younger player being promoted into his starting role, media personalities publicly speaking about issues with him and his fit with the team and saying we were better without him...

At some point there is too much smoke for you say it's burnt toast and you have to assume there is a fire. These situations very rarely end up with the player being at the club for the following year. I play the odds, the odds are overwhelming in this one.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: May 19, 2021, 9:01 pm If Isaako is on the outer I wouldn't be against throwing him an offer. As a winger I think he has a lot of potential. Plus losing our primary and backup goal kicker needs to be addressed. A good kicker is critical.
Yeah he'd be right up there for me. He's no fullback, but he's got plenty of talent as a winger with speed to burn. Having an 80% kicker should certainly be high on the list of priorities.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Isaako a great talent, too good to play wing although not quite rounded enough to play fullback. I'd be more than happy with him
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well Hynes to Brisbane seems to be getting more and more momentum. I think we'll miss out

Another mid 2000s move for us would be to get some journeyman who no one else really wanted
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I say again it was only a week or two back the Broncos CEO was crying publicly about other clubs poaching their best young talent. But here they are signing a 31 y/o halfback ... after poaching Croft from Melbourne and Sullivan from Roosters. And losing Walker. Now they're having a crack at Hynes when they had Walsh, Isaako and Nui coming through. They're after Hodgson even though their new captain and hooker is a club jnr.

What a **** show of a club, and long may it continue.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hynes, "no offer on the table yet" - in other words, is waiting for Broncos to free up cap space, then he'll jump

I'm preparing to be disappointed
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

it is disappointing if thats where its' headed... but there is still moves to be made.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Broncos are the perfect team to poach young outside backs from....would take Issako and Nui from them in a heartbeat if possible...
Hodgson won’t be offered another playing deal so teams are free to speak with him in November... that is where the smoke is coming from...
Hynes is all but confirmed a Bronco..
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 19, 2021, 9:36 pm Isaako a great talent, too good to play wing although not quite rounded enough to play fullback. I'd be more than happy with him
He’s an out and out winger. He’s definitely not too good to play on the wing. I’d have him as a winger but we’d be in a world of hurt if we had him as a fullback.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

julian87 wrote: May 20, 2021, 7:29 am
Canberra Milk wrote: May 19, 2021, 9:36 pm Isaako a great talent, too good to play wing although not quite rounded enough to play fullback. I'd be more than happy with him
He’s an out and out winger. He’s definitely not too good to play on the wing. I’d have him as a winger but we’d be in a world of hurt if we had him as a fullback.
The Tigers are chasing him and I'm assuming its for a wing spot (given they have a fullback).
So you would think if we really wanted to get him, we could, provided he was willing to play wing and live in Canberra...I think the Broncos would even chip in some freight too...
Anyway, as many have said here before, I'm not sure what our 'plan' is, nor if it's even being executed...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Looks like Dufty is available if the right offer is made...

I don’t think we are genuinely interested in acquiring a fullback...with both Hynes and Dufty now available, you would think we would be involved if we were looking...

I think we’re going to focus on a halfback and that’s why Ricky is giving Schneider a go...

I also think we’re likely targeting someone who falls out from a club rather than aiming to get the right player...

My bet would be Fogerty or Taylor from the Titans or Croft from the Broncos...
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

I know our forward stock is full atm but would you take Dale Finucane???
Perth Based Raiders Fan
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Not for me, even putting injury and age aside locks these day's need to offer a bit more, the mobile prop style isnt offering enough compared to what teams can get out of the likes of Radley, Murray, B Smith. and we've got enough middles to sink a ship
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Finucane could be used as an antithesis for what the club needs to recruit.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: May 20, 2021, 2:02 pm Finucane could be used as an antithesis for what the club needs to recruit.
Be very disappointed if we are wasting our time looking at middle forwards. We got our bargain random pickup in James. We've got lock options coming out our ears.

Focus need to be entirely on the halfback + back 3 situation and how to play that jigsaw of pieces we have vs funds available vs team balance.

My third consideration- way down the list- would be edge forward depth but I'd be happy to let that slide into next year if needed, as Whitehead is good for another year before even considering a middle shift if we need it and CHN is probably still jury out one way or the other + Young can still switch readily between either role.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If we miss out on Hynes to the Broncos then we gotta go for Isaako I reckon. That would be a good upgrade on the wing for us. Also brings goal kicking to the table and fullback cover.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

GreenMachine wrote: May 20, 2021, 9:24 am Looks like Dufty is available if the right offer is made...

I don’t think we are genuinely interested in acquiring a fullback...with both Hynes and Dufty now available, you would think we would be involved if we were looking...

I think we’re going to focus on a halfback and that’s why Ricky is giving Schneider a go...

I also think we’re likely targeting someone who falls out from a club rather than aiming to get the right player...

At the right price and to the right club, Ash Taylor will be the best signing of the year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2021, 11:26 pm If we miss out on Hynes to the Broncos then we gotta go for Isaako I reckon. That would be a good upgrade on the wing for us. Also brings goal kicking to the table and fullback cover.
Isaako is a real rocks and diamonds player. Wouldn't mind getting him on board as a winger. Trouble is if he sees himself as a fullback he might command more money than he's worth. Only takes 1 club to see him in similar light and he's off the table for us.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Isaako for the right money and under the proviso that he understands and accepts he's a winger and only a winger would be a fine signing.
Not sure that's where his head is at as a footballer though
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I doubt anybody will be interested in picking him up as a fullback. If you can grab him at around the $450k mark it's a good signing I reckon.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s less than Croker and arguably providing more general play strike as well as similar kicking quality. Good spend. He’ll end up at a Sydney club though I think.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

MrPosh wrote: May 21, 2021, 6:18 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 20, 2021, 9:24 am Looks like Dufty is available if the right offer is made...

At the right price and to the right club, Ash Taylor will be the best signing of the year.
Nah Reece Walsh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cheering for a big Ramsey game tonight and going forward
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

He is a terrible defender. Terrible. Hates contact and momentum always going the wrong way. He will not be a 1st grader in 12 months in any position
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

What are the Cowboys going to do with Val Holmes??
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Boomercm wrote: May 21, 2021, 9:29 pm What are the Cowboys going to do with Val Holmes??
Fire him into the sun..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: May 21, 2021, 8:34 pm Cheering for a big Ramsey game tonight and going forward
I reckon he looked really good prior to getting KOed. He's fast like Dufty and can make breaks, so no loss there. Looked safe under the high ball (though he did have that clanger a few weeks back) and did okay in defence. Got bullied on carries once or twice but that happens to Dufty all the time. Didn't show Dufty's ability to pass but it wasn't really the game for it and that's a quality very few players show immediately.

I'd say it was close to enough for the Dragons to confirm Ramsey is their long-term fullback choice.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Hynes asking for 1 mil over 3 years from the Broncos
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: May 22, 2021, 9:36 am
Boomercm wrote: May 21, 2021, 9:29 pm What are the Cowboys going to do with Val Holmes??
Fire him into the sun..
Interesting one. He's been going ok at FB. Not top 5 but pretty decent output all told with line breaks, tackle breaks, lb assists, try assists all stack up pretty well vs other FBs considering he played 2 on the wing. And he's churning out those big metres some like while doing all that too.

If he's still on 800-900k, then he is clearly not performing at that level- pretty good just won't cut it for that amount. I think they have to keep him and hope he has another gear because they'd need to pay 250/300k freight just to get anyone to come near him surely?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote: May 22, 2021, 12:40 pm Hynes asking for 1 mil over 3 years from the Broncos
He can have 1.2 over 3 and came here
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders666 wrote:Hynes asking for 1 mil over 3 years from the Broncos
It's worth throwing him an offer just to make Broncos pay more.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Botman wrote: May 22, 2021, 1:24 pm
Raiders666 wrote: May 22, 2021, 12:40 pm Hynes asking for 1 mil over 3 years from the Broncos
He can have 1.2 over 3 and came here
Very cheap i reckon
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Surely a joke.

If that's true, give him a better offer after the game tonight and get him signed.