The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Even away from the main covid game, another interesting week for Morrison and the Teflon crew.

Alleged rapist elevated to leader of the house.

Bestie of the PM charged with concealing child sex offences (same dude he tried to bring to the White House to meet Trump)

Barnaby seems to be drunk whilst ranting in the HoR. If he wasn’t drunk then there have to be questions about his mental acuity.

Refuses to answer point blank questions about Car Park Rorts.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yet still on track to go around again.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 8:03 am Even away from the main covid game, another interesting week for Morrison and the Teflon crew.

Alleged rapist elevated to leader of the house.

Bestie of the PM charged with concealing child sex offences (same dude he tried to bring to the White House to meet Trump)

Barnaby seems to be drunk whilst ranting in the HoR. If he wasn’t drunk then there have to be questions about his mental acuity.

Refuses to answer point blank questions about Car Park Rorts.
As long as he asked Jenny what she thought then we can all relax.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:Yet still on track to go around again.
Jebus help us
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So Campbell Newman. Good mayor. Otherwise a complete prick hey?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Looks like people are leaking against Gladys again, here comes another spill.

This edition is about her then secret partner's clay shooting club being given some nice cash grants.

Some great video here and she answers the questions in textbook Morrison style...

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Schifty you you don’t want Gladys to have her fun…

Are you anti women?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Taliban back in control of Afghanistan.. :hmmm
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote: August 16, 2021, 9:33 am Taliban back in control of Afghanistan.. :hmmm
I remember watching an interview on Al-Jazeera when the US first went in. It was with some Taliban official in Kabul.
The interviewer asked him if he was worried about US military action.

He replied " We will just go to the hills until they leave, and then we will come down again and nothing will have changed"

I've thought about that guy a lot when watching reports on Afghanistan and Iraq over the years.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I remember talking to George Bush and Dick Cheney about Afghanistan but they assured me it was mission accomplished.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: August 16, 2021, 11:56 am
papabear wrote: August 16, 2021, 9:33 am Taliban back in control of Afghanistan.. :hmmm
I remember watching an interview on Al-Jazeera when the US first went in. It was with some Taliban official in Kabul.
The interviewer asked him if he was worried about US military action.

He replied " We will just go to the hills until they leave, and then we will come down again and nothing will have changed"

I've thought about that guy a lot when watching reports on Afghanistan and Iraq over the years.
Afghanistan is untameable.

For 30 of the last 40 odd years they have been occupied by a superpower with no appreciable strategic gains to speak of once they up stumps.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:He replied " We will just go to the hills until they leave, and then we will come down again and nothing will have changed"
He’s got more patience than me. **** sitting in those hills for 20 years.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:He replied " We will just go to the hills until they leave, and then we will come down again and nothing will have changed"
He’s got more patience than me. **** sitting in those hills for 20 years.
Actually, I think that was kind of his point.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: Gangers really nailed it there.

What happened when the west left was always one of major concerns with this entire fiasco.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It just seems like it will be a never ending cycle.

West invades, settles things down, withdraws, Taliban regroups, takes over again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I don’t know much about the subject, so I think that’s driving my confusion, but I don’t get how they managed to take the country back so quick and easily.

Was there an over reliance on the overseas troops by the locals, or what’s the story?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 17, 2021, 5:51 pm I don’t know much about the subject, so I think that’s driving my confusion, but I don’t get how they managed to take the country back so quick and easily.

Was there an over reliance on the overseas troops by the locals, or what’s the story?
Over-reliance probably doesn't do it justice. A complete and utter dependency more like it.

The "hearts and minds" trope probably applies fully in this case. It appears there is very little appetite for any imposed Western/Russian/other system of governance or society in Afghanistan.

If you haven't won hearts or minds the whole thing is going to crumble as soon as the boots leave the ground.

Also have heard anecdotes about people working with the ANA saying it is a nightmare. Very little loyalty or substance to that relationship by the sounds of it.

The immediate collapse of any form of resistance by same probably vindicates these anecdotes.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I've been home schooling so havent been on top of this but i just saw that footage of the plane taking off and an Afghani's clinging to it falling off it mid take off
I cant even imagine how **** hopeless and helpless you’d have to feel to think that was a viable option
Grim ****
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Probably not something that the mainstream will care that much about for too long but the Afghan situation is looking like another debacle for the Morrison government.

Months and months of warnings about a looming disaster there and plenty of time to take appropriate action to get interpreters and other personnel out.

I am not sure if this “dollar short and a day late” style of reactionary governance is a glitch or feature of conservative politics in this country at the moment.

Whether it be this, bushfires, rape scandals, vaccine rollouts, quarantine and no doubt Glasgow in a few months - It really feels like this mob only acts when their face is on fire. They are never on the front foot and are never proactive in anything they do.

Even the one thing they are generally given credit for over the last 18 months in Jobkeeper wasn’t even their idea and they initially resisted the concept.

Just a pretty dismal government overall and one which I am struggling to imagine will have much, if any, positive lasting legacy. I sincerely hope they are gone in May.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s the nature of conservative governments generally. Cling to the present for the love of God. Only change when your face is on fire as you say. It’s a **** way to govern a country, and no wonder there’s a complete absence of leadership when your values are “everybody stay here”.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Saw this on Reddit. Think it goes to answering my earlier question

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 17, 2021, 10:49 pm Probably not something that the mainstream will care that much about for too long but the Afghan situation is looking like another debacle for the Morrison government.

Months and months of warnings about a looming disaster there and plenty of time to take appropriate action to get interpreters and other personnel out.

I am not sure if this “dollar short and a day late” style of reactionary governance is a glitch or feature of conservative politics in this country at the moment.

Whether it be this, bushfires, rape scandals, vaccine rollouts, quarantine and no doubt Glasgow in a few months - It really feels like this mob only acts when their face is on fire. They are never on the front foot and are never proactive in anything they do.

Even the one thing they are generally given credit for over the last 18 months in Jobkeeper wasn’t even their idea and they initially resisted the concept.

Just a pretty dismal government overall and one which I am struggling to imagine will have much, if any, positive lasting legacy. I sincerely hope they are gone in May.
If labor run a campaign like what your currently preaching - the morrison govt will win again and win easily.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 18, 2021, 5:58 pm Saw this on Reddit. Think it goes to answering my earlier question
sad
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: August 19, 2021, 4:51 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: August 17, 2021, 10:49 pm Probably not something that the mainstream will care that much about for too long but the Afghan situation is looking like another debacle for the Morrison government.

If labor run a campaign like what your currently preaching - the morrison govt will win again and win easily.
And yet where is the lie
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s why you lose.

Lying wins.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Oh, god. Both the Reddit videos on this page started autoplaying at once when I opened this thread, slightly off sync.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: August 19, 2021, 7:29 pm That’s why you lose.

Lying wins.
it is not about lying wins or telling the truth.

It is how you communicate with people.

If you use divisive language such as "conservative / progressive / left / right" "reactionary" all of that sort of stuff people just stop listening. Honestly, you sound like nice people but if this was a convo in the pub I would think you are bit to invested in one particular side (more mickey then yourself).

If Labor wants a chance to win it just has to point our where it thinks the government has gone wrong, and what it will do differently.

If they turn it into a sniff of redistribution of wealth re taxation changes - they will lose votes. Australians do not have a stomach for more CGT / Personal Income Tax..... If labor is really on a quest to increase govt revenue then they need to look at GST / Company Taxes / Tariffs etc... but not taxes people feel directly.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Reactionary when used to describe the entirety of an organisation’s performance sounds dismissive and to the reader makes the writer sound as if they are trying to demean the organisation with or without merit.

The reader is interested in the merit and loses faith in the writer.

I agree that albo is in general less disliked then shorten … shorten was douche , whilst albo plays a similar sort of normal man card like Morrison…

Which will help labor, but you never know what the election will bring - labor could have won easily last time around and managed to duff it so let’s see if they can go around this time come election time without people being nervous about their wallet.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: August 20, 2021, 11:02 am
gangrenous wrote: August 19, 2021, 7:29 pm That’s why you lose.

Lying wins.
it is not about lying wins or telling the truth.

It is how you communicate with people.

If you use divisive language such as "conservative / progressive / left / right" "reactionary" all of that sort of stuff people just stop listening. Honestly, you sound like nice people but if this was a convo in the pub I would think you are bit to invested in one particular side (more mickey then yourself).

If Labor wants a chance to win it just has to point our where it thinks the government has gone wrong, and what it will do differently.

If they turn it into a sniff of redistribution of wealth re taxation changes - they will lose votes. Australians do not have a stomach for more CGT / Personal Income Tax..... If labor is really on a quest to increase govt revenue then they need to look at GST / Company Taxes / Tariffs etc... but not taxes people feel directly.
Papa if we were having the conservation in the pub and it took you longer than 30 seconds to figure out that I am not invested in the LNP then I would be worried. If pointing out a long shopping list of failures means I am "invested" in the other side, then so be it.

As for the divisive rhetoric point, I realised I accidentally said "reactionary" when I meant to write "reactive". Which when used to describe a style of governance I can't imagine has any divisive overtones at all.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: August 20, 2021, 11:37 am Reactionary when used to describe the entirety of an organisation’s performance sounds dismissive and to the reader makes the writer sound as if they are trying to demean the organisation with or without merit.

The reader is interested in the merit and loses faith in the writer.

I agree that albo is in general less disliked then shorten … shorten was douche , whilst albo plays a similar sort of normal man card like Morrison…

Which will help labor, but you never know what the election will bring - labor could have won easily last time around and managed to duff it so let’s see if they can go around this time come election time without people being nervous about their wallet.
Yeah edited my post when I read back and realised I had inadvertently used reactionary.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

we are both being a bit reactionary ;)
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: August 20, 2021, 1:52 pm we are both being a bit reactionary ;)
Papa this is a decent article today which captures a lot of the frustration with the governments inertia and “reactivity”.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 58kez.html

I would suggest that some of the observations therein are increasingly widely held and aren’t just partisan, periphery gripes.

I sincerely hope it isn’t replicated into a failure to build capability for manufacturing vaccines for future variants, as is forecast in the article.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
papabear wrote: August 20, 2021, 1:52 pm we are both being a bit reactionary ;)
Papa this is a decent article today which captures a lot of the frustration with the governments inertia and “reactivity”.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 58kez.html

I would suggest that some of the observations therein are increasingly widely held and aren’t just partisan, periphery gripes.

I sincerely hope it isn’t replicated into a failure to build capability for manufacturing vaccines for future variants, as is forecast in the article.
That's grim reading.

At least there are moves afoot for high mRNA manufacturing capacity. It's a pity negotiations didn't kick off mid last year when it was clear from preliminary phase 3 data that mRNA vaccines are awesome.
https://amp.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 58ijz.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote: August 25, 2021, 10:02 pm
Thanks for sharing GE, a very interesting watch. Do us a favour and post part 2 for me once it’s out :)