Newcastle Knights 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Newcastle Knights 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights: 2021 round 1 predicted team

Kalyn Ponga's shoulder injury will prevent him from starting the season with Tex Hoy the likely stand in for round one. Connor Watson should be back from an Achilles injury by round one and would return in the roaming lock/utility role he started 2020 in.

Hooker Jayden Brailey will be back from a knee reconstruction allowing Kurt Mann to return to five-eighth. Blake Green is unavailable to start the season after tearing an ACL last year. Brodie Jones could take one of the bench forward spots from Sue or King to provide more edge cover.

1. Tex Hoy
2. Edrick Lee
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Jayden Brailey
10. David Klemmer
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Connor Watson
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh King
17. Sauaso Sue

Others: Phoenix Crossland, Blake Green, Bailey Hodgson, Brodie Jones, Jirah Momoisea, Kalyn Ponga, Nathanael Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Gehamat Shibasaki, Starford To'a, Dominic Young

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/25/new ... cted-team/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Newcastle Knights 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights half Mitchell Pearce’s wedding postponed after text message drama

Newcastle Knights star Mitchell Pearce’s wedding day has been called off just days out from the event after alleged inappropriate text messages to a young female club employee. Pearce was scheduled to marry his partner Kristin Scott on Tuesday in front of 150 family and friends, including some of the biggest names in the NRL.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mitch ... 5f30d426fa
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This guy is a goose.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:This guy is a goose.
Show some respect PJ. We know he's a bit of a goose, but greeneyed is just doing his best to provide us with up to date Rugbah Leeg content

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With the addition of Frizell that's a great pack IMO. Decent backline too, and some real X factor with Ponga when he's fit.

The Mitchell Pearce thing is a killer though. Could drop them from top 8 to bottom 4, irrespective of whether they dump him or not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell Pearce stands down as Newcastle Knights captain amid texting scandal

Mitchell Pearce has stood down as Knights captain following the scandal around his text messaging of a female club employee, effective immediately.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/06/pea ... s-captain/

Newcastle Knights club statement

Mitchell Pearce will step down as captain of the Newcastle Knights, effective immediately.

Earlier this week, Pearce met with Head Coach Adam O’Brien, CEO Philip Gardner and General Manager of Football Danny Buderus, to address recent events and to apologise for the distraction and inconvenience they have caused during the Christmas leave period.

Immediately following this meeting, Pearce met with his teammates and football department staff, to advise the group of his decision to relinquish the captaincy.

Pearce’s decision followed a lengthy review of current issues, last season’s performance and reflection upon the added pressure the captaincy brings to both his on field performance and personal life. The club is fully supportive of his decision.

The Knights will continue work to develop a new club leadership model, with a decision on new club leaders – including who will ultimately perform the role of captain – yet to be made.

Pearce will address his decision to step down as captain on his return to training tomorrow.

The Newcastle Knights are committed to respecting the privacy of their employees, including any discussion of private matters in the public domain. At the conclusion of tomorrow’s media opportunity, no further comment will be made on this matter.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I can't find the Mullins tries vs knights rd18 1994 on the tube. Not featured in the mullins highlights vid either

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:52 pm I can't find the Mullins tries vs knights rd18 1994 on the tube. Not featured in the mullins highlights vid either

The NRL is constantly going through and taking down unlicensed vision. I can understand recent or full games, but they should allow enthusiasts to share the history of the game or things like player highlight packages in my view... given the NRL and broadcasters do an inadequate job themselves on YouTube.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:52 pm I can't find the Mullins tries vs knights rd18 1994 on the tube. Not featured in the mullins highlights vid either

Weren’t they beautiful ?

He just glud across the field, the perfect stride/balance/speed/swagger.

The boy could run..
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:

Weren’t they beautiful ?

He just glud across the field, the perfect stride/balance/speed/swagger.

The boy could run..
Possibly the greatest game i attended, surrounded I was!

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Mitchell”what have I done” Pearce booked in for thumb surgery...

Too much texting.

Pearce undergoes surgery as ex-Knights skipper’s off-season hits new low

Former Knights captain Mitchell Pearce’s horror off-season has sunk to new depths after he suffered a thumb injury at training that requires surgery. The veteran playmaker hurt his thumb in a mishap at training last week and will go under the knife on Wednesday.

“Mitchell Pearce will today undergo surgery to his right thumb following a training incident last week,” the Knights said in a statement.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f8eced5aa2
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: January 27, 2021, 2:13 pm Mitchell”what have I done” Pearce booked in for thumb surgery...

Too much texting.
Think you'll find the term is sexting.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

sextas
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Knights’ best 17 boasts marquee signings and rising stars... but their fate rests with two men

Hunter fans were promised so much in 2020 but, as they’ve become accustomed to, were left a little disappointed with how it all ended for the Knights.

KNIGHTS’ BEST 17

1 Kalyn Ponga
2 Edrick Lee
3 Bradman Best
4 Star To’a
5 Hymel Hunt
6 Kurt Mann
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Daniel Saifiti
9 Jayden Brailey
10 David Klemmer
11 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Mitchell Barnett

14 Connor Watson
15 Jacob Saifiti
16 Pasami Saulo
17 Josh King

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b642805333
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights coach Adam O'Brien handed extension; new Mitchell Pearce deal on way

Newcastle have locked coach Adam O'Brien in on a two-year extension to end 2024, with halfback Mitchell Pearce also set to take up a reduced one-year offer before the Knights' 2021 campaign kicks off.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/obr ... extension/

Club statement

The Newcastle Knights are delighted to confirm that Head Coach Adam O’Brien has extended his contract with the club for a further two seasons.

O’Brien has now committed to the Knights until at least the end of the 2024 National Rugby League season.

O’Brien’s debut year with the Knights in 2020 saw the team overcome numerous hurdles to return to the NRL finals for the first time in seven seasons.

The Batemans Bay product has brought a deep understanding of the game and new level of professionalism to the Knights, with his influence reaching every area of the Club’s operations.

Newcastle Knights CEO, Mr Philip Gardner, said securing O’Brien’s services long-term was a crucial step in building a successful future.

“Adam is an outstanding coach and an outstanding person, and everyone at the Club is delighted that he will be our Head Coach for a further two seasons,” Mr Gardner said.

“This is an ideal outcome for everyone, it provides great personal security for Adam and his wife Sharyn and it means that we can continue to build the foundations required for the Club to be consistently successful.

“Adam‘s continued growth and evolution as a coach confirms he is the right person to lead the Newcastle Knights now and into the future.

“We are absolutely thrilled to know that he will be here until at least 2024, and hopefully many more years after that.”

O’Brien arrived at the Knights ahead of the 2020 season, following a 12-year stint at the Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters.

His impact was instant, winning his first two games and clinching the signature of Tyson Frizell before COVID-19 brought the competition to a halt.

With his future now secure, O’Brien said he was excited to build towards a sustained period of success for the Club.

“I’ve been really pleased with our overall progression since I joined the club back in November 2019,” O’Brien said.

“We identified key areas to strengthen, we developed a strategy to make that transition and then targeted the right people to execute those plans.

“I’m really pleased with the people we have under the roof.

“We’ve brought in several key staff members to complement our existing team, some great recruits, and key retentions. And we have an ongoing strategy designed to ensure our list remains highly competitive. I’m really proud they chose us, just like our members.

“From day one, Sharyn and I knew Newcastle was for us – it’s like where we both grew up on the South Coast of NSW. We were a good fit for Newcastle, and Newcastle is a good fit for us.

“We both love the community, we enjoy life outside of work and this extension allows us to bed down our new home and build deeper roots.”

Newcastle Knights media release
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Odd extension given he still had time left but I guess they've been a basket case for so long that making the finals is a big step up.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:Odd extension given he still had time left but I guess they've been a basket case for so long that making the finals is a big step up.
obrien? wanted him locked down with Melbourne sniffing around

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looking pretty ordinary in the trial with Storm. Pearce dropped it cold early and not one team-mate gave him a pat on the back or head. They're in crisis I tells ya.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 27, 2021, 8:42 pm Looking pretty ordinary in the trial with Storm. Pearce dropped it cold early and not one team-mate gave him a pat on the back or head. They're in crisis I tells ya.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights re-sign Bradman Best to end 2024

The Newcastle Knights are pleased to announce the upgrade and extension of Bradman Best's contract until at least the end of the 2024 season.

The big news was confirmed at the Knights' official Season Launch on Tuesday night.

Signed as a 15-year-old back in 2016, Best has been earmarked as one of the most explosive and exciting rookies in the NRL after a number of eye-catching performances.

The 19-year-old burst onto the scene just weeks after his 18th birthday in 2019 and immediately became a staple of the Knights backline.

Best brings genuine x-factor to an already-exciting Knights backline, boasting lightning speed and a powerful frame which has seen the likes of Andrew Johns refer to him as 'Bradman Beast'.

Best capped a dominant 2020 season by being named in Brad Fittler's Emerging Blues squad for the second consecutive year, and will continue to go from strength to strength as he matures with consistent first-grade football in 2021.

Knights Head of Recruitment, Clint Zammit, said the retention of Best was the perfect news to excite fans just a week out from the 2021 season.

"We're extremely thrilled to extend Bradman's contract until the end of 2024," Zammit said.

"He's a wonderful person and local product who has worked his way through our system and will be a long-term player at our Club."

Best said he was excited now that his long-term future was secured.

“I'm really happy to secure my future and am proud to be Knight until 2024," he said.

“I love this club. So does my family, with both Newcastle and the Central Coast being a home for us.

“We are just over the moon and now I can't wait to get out on Hunter Stadium in front of big crowds again".

Newcastle Knights media release

Bradman's new deal: Best signs on through to 2024: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/02/bra ... h-to-2024/

Saifiti and Brailey earn Rd 1 co-captaincy roles: https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/new ... ncy-roles/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jake Clifford joins Newcastle Knights for remainder of 2021 season

The Newcastle Knights can confirm Jake Clifford will join the club for the remainder of the 2021 season. Having already signed with the Knights for the next two years, Clifford will make the move south from North Queensland after the club granted him an immediate release following their clash with Warriors last night.

Read more: https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/new ... 21-season/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Knights are eyeing Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks as a potential replacement for Mitchell Pearce, who is looking to move to the Super League: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d27efcc51f
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my old man is a knights fan, he said the tigers fruit loop ceo probably wants ponga and Brailey for brooks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer