Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2023, 3:21 pm Good to hear these thugs might actually face some criminal ramifications themselves

If the police wish to clean up their act and reputation country wide, more of this is required.
They have to hold their own accountable to the same standards they enforce.
The police force are enforcers of the law, they are not above it. I understand this is a difficult and dangerous job and i am thankful for those who do it and do it the right way, however If an officer behaves outside of their duty, as the judge in this case suggested, they should all know they too will have to face the repercussions of their actions, just as i or you would.

And if found guilty , i would expect pending the severity and history, they should face severe punishment, from demotions in rank, to suspensions without pay and dismissal where appropriate.
Agreed. Having a police badge is not an excuse to engage in reprehensible, thuggish conduct. You're afforded certain privileges to protect the community, not to gratify your own ego.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Can’t wait to see our little starling play with gay abandon now all charges have been dropped

Fly freely little starling, fly free
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Damoni wrote: June 14, 2023, 4:45 pm Can’t wait to see our little starling play with gay abandon now all charges have been dropped

Pretty sure all charges have been dropped for quite some time. The story today is about the three police being investigated not Starling’s charges being dropped.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Damoni wrote:Can’t wait to see our little starling play with gay abandon now all charges have been dropped

2020 Starling form would be sweet
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Billy Walker wrote:
Damoni wrote: June 14, 2023, 4:45 pm Can’t wait to see our little starling play with gay abandon now all charges have been dropped

Pretty sure all charges have been dropped for quite some time. The story today is about the three police being investigated not Starling’s charges being dropped.
Whatever mate
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why have they waited so long to investigate them? But then again I had a similar 'why' question when they continued to try and prosecute Starling after that footage was released. I guess when it's somebody else's money being pissed up a wall they don't care. Officers need to lose their jobs, at a minimum, when this stuff happens.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I’d be sueing for sure. They were completely in the wrong.

Have a go at his face after they attacked him.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Being held back, not allowed to fight back to a small minority of grub cops. Should’ve been instantly dismissed when seniors saw footage-I’d lose my job within hours if I was in a punch up in my uniform

Hopefully he brings back some good form
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Ang wrote: June 15, 2023, 6:30 am Being held back, not allowed to fight back to a small minority of grub cops. Should’ve been instantly dismissed when seniors saw footage-I’d lose my job within hours if I was in a punch up in my uniform

Air hostie, burger flipper, security officer or bell boy? - We possibly need a little more context to assess the relevance Ang.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2023, 8:27 am
The Ang wrote: June 15, 2023, 6:30 am Being held back, not allowed to fight back to a small minority of grub cops. Should’ve been instantly dismissed when seniors saw footage-I’d lose my job within hours if I was in a punch up in my uniform

Air hostie, burger flipper, security officer or bell boy? - We possibly need a little more context to assess the relevance Ang.
My mind went straight to this -
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Finchy wrote: June 15, 2023, 9:27 am

:roflmao Is that little britan
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

deanoman wrote: June 15, 2023, 11:01 am :roflmao Is that little britan
The show's called 'Come Fly With Me'. Same guys from Little Britain
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep there are some uniforms where you might expect a little more roughhousing than others 🤣
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2023, 1:16 pm

Yep there are some uniforms where you might expect a little more roughhousing than others 🤣
Hahaha well played
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Finchy wrote:

Bringing de lolzImageImage

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

The footage is nothing short of sickening. To get punched like this defenceless is disturbing to see. I really hope the individuals involved learn from this.

Wouldn't have been an easy period for Starling.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

benda wrote: June 15, 2023, 9:34 pm The footage is nothing short of sickening. To get punched like this defenceless is disturbing to see. I really hope the individuals involved learn from this.

Wouldn't have been an easy period for Starling.
Well let's see if the new boss is any better than the last who was "sympathetic" to officers tasing an unconscious man.

Which I guess we are all supposed to view as unconnected to a force which thinks it can body-slam handcuffed children's heads into the ground or taser 90+ year old ladies...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nconscious

They won't learn because they are dead ends who are in the job for the wrong reasons. Know plenty of them (also know brilliant absolute straight arrow detectives given the biggest cases in the country in AFP).

It's pretty clear NSW police don't realise their role is not to punish. It's to arrest and investiagate. Police NEVER get to punish, they are supposed to be professional. Punishment happens when a judge and jury decide it. So many beat police seem to think they are allowed to punish whoever annoys them with pepper spray, tasers etc let alone beatings.

Why did it take a year to charge those cops with assault? I hope they are pursued with the same vigour. For the record good cops I know are disgusted by that footage.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Boys are now suing and rightly so.

Canberra Raiders hooker set to sue NSW Police for $1 million

Canberra hooker Tom Starling and his two brothers are suing NSW Police Force, and individual officers, for up to $1m over an ugly nightclub incident at Terrigal. Starling’s lawyer, Paul McGirr, will claim his clients were victims of a “malicious prosecution and battery and unlawful conduct” by police during a bar brawl more than two years ago.

“We are looking to take action against the NSW Police Force and the police individually as they were as I see it acting outside their police powers,” said Mr McGirr.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 8f7719d3c5

https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-hook ... e=Facebook

Canberra Raiders' Tom Starling set to launch legal action against NSW Police: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Vaccinated
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

If starling is successful will raiders have to submit this to the nrl as a third party deal?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sid wrote: July 6, 2023, 6:34 pm If starling is successful will raiders have to submit this to the nrl as a third party deal?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
We need a new sleeve sponsor.

The blue of NSW police might blend in quiet well.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good call guys. Richest sponsorship deal in Raiders history.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

$1 million. Good luck with that.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 6, 2023, 9:14 pm $1 million. Good luck with that.

Between 3?
I would presume more than a million tbh

Taking into consideration
- their legal expenses
- medical treatment
- the fact there were 2 separate incidents
- mental well-being
- damage to reputation
- potential loss of earnings, not sure what the brothers do but tom could claim he lost 3rd party sponsors maybe rep position in the Irish team ( didn't he play there in the past or was that someone else?)

It will all add up.

Nothing will happen until the internal review is complete and the officers involved charged or not charged

Didn't Curtis get close to that?

What frustrates me though in these cases is the fact that rogue cops break the law but its the police department (tax payer) who has to pay the compensation
Vaccinated
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Boring.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: July 6, 2023, 10:10 pm Boring.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

cat wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 6, 2023, 9:14 pm $1 million. Good luck with that.

Between 3?
I would presume more than a million tbh

Taking into consideration
- their legal expenses
- medical treatment
- the fact there were 2 separate incidents
- mental well-being
- damage to reputation
- potential loss of earnings, not sure what the brothers do but tom could claim he lost 3rd party sponsors maybe rep position in the Irish team ( didn't he play there in the past or was that someone else?)

It will all add up.

Nothing will happen until the internal review is complete and the officers involved charged or not charged

Didn't Curtis get close to that?

What frustrates me though in these cases is the fact that rogue cops break the law but its the police department (tax payer) who has to pay the compensation
All I know is Scott was awarded $100k to cover legal costs.

Starling is still working in his trade. There has been zero reputational impact on his career. He won't be getting $1 million, or anywhere near it.

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I think the damages part of Scotts payout was kept non disclosed as part of the settlement to avoid further bad press and embarrassment of NSW police.

I don't think Starling alone is asking for 1 mill, I think it is the 3 (?) brothers collectively asking for 1 mill including legal costs. It's the staring point of a negitiation. Yeah realistically they may get 5 (more likely) or just into 6 figures each after legal costs are deducted.

Still working in your trade is not the same as zero reputational costs when you have been splashed across every newspaper and news broadcast in the country for months and loaded up with bulldust charges you did not commit.

They are probably not _quite_ as badly over a barrel as they were with the Scott case. But on a scale of tasering a 90 year old lady to death to slamming old men and children head first into the ground with leg sweeps while handcuffed... I'd say holding multiple police holding someones arms while you punch them in the face repeatedly lies somewhere in the middle.

Pretty sure they won't be able to point to that in the correct procedures manual.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, not saying he doesn't deserve compensation, just that $1m is highly unlikely.

Good luck to him though.

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

2x of the NSW Police now been charged with assault over this incident. I'm infuriated by cops who act like this, including loading up the victim with bulldust charges and hoping they give up/can't afford to fight it. But kinda enjoying some schadenfreude that they have actually been charged for it.

Prefer it if they had perjury and attempted pervert the course of justice too.

Two police officers charged over pub brawl involving NRL star Tom Starling: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/two-p ... 6c59e02374
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I kinda got the feeling that the Raiders have very few fans across the Police force.

Can’t quite put my finger on why I think this or give any concrete examples that would back this up,

Just a vibe I’m picking up.

I’m sure a Google search of ‘Raiders player and issue with police response’ wouldn’t return a single result.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fantastic. More of this please.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2023, 10:05 pm
Flat out thuggery.

They should be losing their jobs and sued.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It's a shame that these thugs tarnish the name of the police as there are plenty more good people in the force than these crooks. Hope justice is served.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 24, 2024, 9:16 am It's a shame that these thugs tarnish the name of the police as there are plenty more good people in the force than these crooks. Hope justice is served.
Totally agree, there are many great cops out their doing a very tough job

What I don't get is based on the above footage , firstly how ( like Jack's case) does it even get to court against Tommy and secondly why does it take 3 years for police hq to suspend/charge etc the cops involved?

Does no one watch the videos? In both cases it would have taken them less time to watch the footage then read the cops reports!

If someone had just watched a video we could of saved the Starling family a lot of grief, the tax payer a hell of a lot of money ( this debacle will have cost millions in terms of court time and compensation payouts)and potentially others from being hurt by these rogue cops.

It is mind boggling
Vaccinated