Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 131317
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

The All Blacks and the Kangaroos are set to face off in a 14-a-side hybrid game later this year for the first time in history.

“We are in serious negotiations,” Mal Meninga said. “This would take the Kangaroos to the world. There will be global recognition. We are still in talks but obviously news of this has got out.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... d8d7a21f41

Foolish venture. Never give opposition sports a leg up. Slap in the face for rugby league in New Zealand. Promotes union in Australia. Simply the worst move the NRL could make.
Image

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7572
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Sid »

union players are better at union, league players are better at league
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 31660
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by -TW- »

Didn't they try and do this a couple of years ago?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk


User avatar
BJ
Jason Croker
Posts: 4406
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by BJ »

Rugby Union only ever engage with this when their own game is struggling.

Don’t give them the free publicity I say.

User avatar
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6448
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Says something about the quality of the Wallaby’s if the All Blacks are considering this
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
kiwi raider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7030
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by kiwi raider »

Sid wrote:
June 25, 2020, 1:24 pm
union players are better at union, league players are better at league
exactly. I think this would be interesting to watch but I cant see it really being fair, the hybrid game would end up favouring one code over the other depending on how you built the game, league players have grown up without ever entering a ruck/maul, line out or actual scrum in there lives where as Union players spend half there lives training for these set pieces and scavenging for the ball at every breakdown. you take these out of the hybrid game and union players are suddenly competing in rugby league against the best league players in the world

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19789
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by edwahu »

It could work as a combined Wallabies/Kangaroos vs a combined All Blacks / Kiwis. They could play using League rules in that case rather than Hybrid rubbish.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25038
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Northern Raider »

Interesting concept but fairly pointless exercise as a contest.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 27627
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote:
June 26, 2020, 8:16 am
Sid wrote:
June 25, 2020, 1:24 pm
union players are better at union, league players are better at league
exactly. I think this would be interesting to watch but I cant see it really being fair, the hybrid game would end up favouring one code over the other depending on how you built the game, league players have grown up without ever entering a ruck/maul, line out or actual scrum in there lives where as Union players spend half there lives training for these set pieces and scavenging for the ball at every breakdown. you take these out of the hybrid game and union players are suddenly competing in rugby league against the best league players in the world
Yep, there is no way to do this fairly... Any game with proper scrums, line outs or mauls will be a massacre for the RL team and once you take that out, and make it a clean ruck like RL, then in order to allow free movement of the ball, you have to bring the players back, be it 5 or the full 10 metres... once you do that you're asking too much of RU forwards who wont be able to keep up with the pace, and they'll get massacred.

The only way to do it fairly would result is an utterly unwatchable form of sport.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 131317
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:
June 26, 2020, 2:55 pm
kiwi raider wrote:
June 26, 2020, 8:16 am
Sid wrote:
June 25, 2020, 1:24 pm
union players are better at union, league players are better at league
exactly. I think this would be interesting to watch but I cant see it really being fair, the hybrid game would end up favouring one code over the other depending on how you built the game, league players have grown up without ever entering a ruck/maul, line out or actual scrum in there lives where as Union players spend half there lives training for these set pieces and scavenging for the ball at every breakdown. you take these out of the hybrid game and union players are suddenly competing in rugby league against the best league players in the world
Yep, there is no way to do this fairly... Any game with proper scrums, line outs or mauls will be a massacre for the RL team and once you take that out, and make it a clean ruck like RL, then in order to allow free movement of the ball, you have to bring the players back, be it 5 or the full 10 metres... once you do that you're asking too much of RU forwards who wont be able to keep up with the pace, and they'll get massacred.

The only way to do it fairly would result is an utterly unwatchable form of sport.
So you're advocating that it is played according to rugby union rules?
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 27627
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:
June 26, 2020, 3:23 pm
Botman wrote:
June 26, 2020, 2:55 pm
kiwi raider wrote:
June 26, 2020, 8:16 am
Sid wrote:
June 25, 2020, 1:24 pm
union players are better at union, league players are better at league
exactly. I think this would be interesting to watch but I cant see it really being fair, the hybrid game would end up favouring one code over the other depending on how you built the game, league players have grown up without ever entering a ruck/maul, line out or actual scrum in there lives where as Union players spend half there lives training for these set pieces and scavenging for the ball at every breakdown. you take these out of the hybrid game and union players are suddenly competing in rugby league against the best league players in the world
Yep, there is no way to do this fairly... Any game with proper scrums, line outs or mauls will be a massacre for the RL team and once you take that out, and make it a clean ruck like RL, then in order to allow free movement of the ball, you have to bring the players back, be it 5 or the full 10 metres... once you do that you're asking too much of RU forwards who wont be able to keep up with the pace, and they'll get massacred.

The only way to do it fairly would result is an utterly unwatchable form of sport.
So you're advocating that it is played according to rugby union rules?
:lol:
No not quite but to strengthen your point, the reason RL is such a good sport is that it took RU and eliminated all of the **** that made it so bad... any hybrid rules, would by its very nature introduce RU rules back into league and that would damage the product severely.

If they wanted to make this a true hybrid game that was fair, i would think it would be something like RL (so a play the ball, with no contested scrums or line outs) with 14 men, unlimited tackle count and 3, max 5 metre offside.

It would allow both forwards to stay in the contest as league forwards dont need to contest scrums, mauls and line outs, and RU forwards arent run off their feet with a 10 metre rule. Then its just who can maintain possession, kick well, forces errors and execute set plays... but it would be unwatchable garbage.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

gergreg
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8125
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by gergreg »

edwahu wrote:It could work as a combined Wallabies/Kangaroos vs a combined All Blacks / Kiwis. They could play using League rules in that case rather than Hybrid rubbish.
Which Wallabies players would make the cut?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6448
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Or just square them off in an unrelated sport, like Basketball or Lawn Bowls
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19789
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Kangaroos host secret talks over historic cross-code clash with New Zealand rugby union

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote:
June 26, 2020, 5:56 pm
edwahu wrote:It could work as a combined Wallabies/Kangaroos vs a combined All Blacks / Kiwis. They could play using League rules in that case rather than Hybrid rubbish.
Which Wallabies players would make the cut?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I'm not a big enough masochist to have a clue about Wallabies players.

Post Reply