Hudson Young's return

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Hudson Young's return

Post by julian87 »

Skipping a week ahead what does everyone think the team should look like when Young is back? 2 games back from the break I think barring injury Stuart should probably know what he wants to do with Hudson Young when he becomes available for selection next week. So barring injury/suspension how do you think he fits in?

Does he sit out and work his way in? Does he come onto the bench to add some energy like he's done for much of his short career? Or does he slide straight into the second row allowing Tapine to return to the middle? Or left field does he play a starting lock role like a Murray/Radley/Bateman for a bit of fitness and dynamic leg speed there?

Having thought about it a bit today I think I'd like him to slide into the second row, but on the left, where we seem to be a bit more solid, with Whitehead reverting to the right to sure it up until hopefully Bateman is back late in the season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Hudson Young's return

Post by Botman »

I would be hesitant to throw him back into the starting team, he's got to earn the club and coaches trust back, and i think ideally having to work really hard to get his spot back would be better
But circumstances may make that tough to do. We're struggling a bit with our forward depth right now
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Has to earn his way back. But he will IMO.

zim
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Post by zim »

You're probably right in that it's the strongest overall to have Whitehead on the right while Bateman is out, but you spend all pre-season and every week at training building up those combos between Wighton, Whitehead and Croker. Then there's going to be a shuffle back in the other direction when Bateman is back.

Normally we'd be in a place of Hudson earning his way back in from a month in Mounties.

If we get the Storm version of Joey T I have Hudson coming off the bench at lock. If we get the Knight's defense, which was terrible for a number of reasons, then I have him coming off the bench into the second row.

Then we have Sutton. I'd love to see him get a start at lock.

Wiki Special
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote:
June 9, 2020, 7:44 pm
This. I really rate him when he is focused. His effort against Souths last year at home (even though we lost) was outstanding. I must say though, I prefer him in the middle than on an edge from what I have seen.

Dusty
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

If he’s trained his **** off I’d imagine he may have done enough already to earn a bench spot.
I think he adds a lot to the squad, especially with Bateman out. He can play edge and middle.

I’d like to see our pack like this in R6:
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Young
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh

Sid
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’m not watching him at training, so hard to say. Probably start him off the bench, ideally he’d be starting 2nd row until Bateman is back IF he is good enough. Having the extra option available is better than a poke in the eye..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I've got very high hope's for Hudson Young, reckon there is some real quality there.
As much as we are missing Bateman on an edge I also think we'd benefit from having Tapine's grunt in the middle so I'd seriously consider Young to start on an edge with Tapine and Horsburgh sharing the 13. It worked very well for us last year

Ruben Daley
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

It was a bad game on the weekend. But if we’d continued the form from the previous weeks, which I think is more relevant and will be more typical of our season once we reflect at the year’s end, would we be talking about rushing Hudson back into the team?

I like him but he wasn’t that impressive last season. He had no games where he really stood out.

Ignoring the gouging situation - which we probably shouldn’t - he’s not good enough to drop any of the current team unless the weekend’s form continues.

gergreg
Bradley Clyde

Post by gergreg »

Adds the mobility we've been missing. He'll probably be on the bench as soon as his suspension is done. Hope he can get the garbage out of his game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

MrPosh
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

kiwi raider wrote:
June 9, 2020, 9:07 pm
I've got very high hope's for Hudson Young, reckon there is some real quality there.
As much as we are missing Bateman on an edge I also think we'd benefit from having Tapine's grunt in the middle so I'd seriously consider Young to start on an edge with Tapine and Horsburgh sharing the 13. It worked very well for us last year
Horsburgh is playing too many minutes at the moment and it's affecting his impact.

I wouldn't like to see him with no more than two 10-15 minute spells, which gives him the licence to really charge in.

Having that alternate with Tapine is ideal.

The right side defence is lacking a communicator. All the players over there are decent defenders individually, but they all kept shooting out the line against the Knights.

Whitehead switching could fix that and it shouldn't affect his game, but you wouldn't want to just transfer the problem to the left. You'd assume, as a former full back, Wighton should be able to keep that side under control.

Wiki Special
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Wiki Special »

MrPosh wrote:
June 9, 2020, 10:03 pm
Horsburgh is playing too many minutes at the moment and it's affecting his impact.

I wouldn't like to see him with no more than two 10-15 minute spells, which gives him the licence to really charge in.
I agree, I think when at full strength we will get more value having Horsburgh on the bench at this stage of his career. I love him and Sia as our first two middle forwards off the bench. I'm not sure any other team would have a better bench tandem.

Horsburgh will more than likely play Origin this year and I am a huge fan. I just love him coming on for impact and also learning off Sia in game.

simo
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

the benefit of a suspension over an injury is that he would have been continuing to train, likely with more incentive to impress so hopefully hes firing and ready to go. i would throw him straight onto that right edge and move tapine to the bench. tapine gives you that edge cover in case young cant go 80 so keeping his legs fresh from the first 20 is ideal.
Dont delete this GE

Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

greeneyed wrote:
June 9, 2020, 7:44 pm
This. He needs to do community service, maybe teach kids how to yodel
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

GreenMachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy take over the right edge, which will move Tapine to 13 (his best position IMO).
I'm also sure this kid will be a star for us if he follows the path that Horsburgh has taken and sticks to football.

zim
Steve Walters

Post by zim »

At least have him start in the second row for the dragons so he can get that first win.

BadnMean
David Furner
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If Ricky thinks he can go 80, then he starts at right edge. The "earn your way back" goes out the window when there's no reggies and your starting backrower is out an extended period.

If he can't go 80, then he starts on the bench and he gives Tapine a rest after 30 minutes and plays another 10-15 after halftime. I just think he's our most mobile forward and the best suited to an edge if needed. Tapine had become a pretty decent middle but is just an average edge.

If Young can handle an edge we have something like

8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havilii/back
15. Lui
16. Hors
17. Guler

That's about our strongest team. Tapine back in the middle where he has shown his best footy. Also easier to rest him after a stint there so he can play explosively. He and Hors share 40/50 minutes each.

Sia starts- I think with the new ruck rules, if you get put on the back footy early in games then it's actually harder to claw your way back. Just SO MUCH energy can get chewed up so quick. Teams can put 3 tries on with you barely getting a minute with the ball. So start your best props.

RedRaider
Steve Walters

Post by RedRaider »

I would not start with Young. He will have zero match fitness. If he is selected in the 17 then he comes on around the 25-30 minute mark to play before and after half time. I would do the same with Sutton when he is looking to return. Get some game time into them before looking to extend their minutes or start them imo.

amiafish
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: George Williams

Post by amiafish »

BadnMean wrote:
June 10, 2020, 10:47 am
Sia starts- I think with the new ruck rules, if you get put on the back footy early in games then it's actually harder to claw your way back. Just SO MUCH energy can get chewed up so quick. Teams can put 3 tries on with you barely getting a minute with the ball. So start your best props.
This ^^^

The new rules make this game all about "momentum management"; how to get it back when you've lost it, and how to keep it going when you've got it. Executing with the ball and avoiding errors is going to be at a premium. The days of 'defending your errors' are gone. Even if you successfully manage it, there's nothing left in the tank for attacking plays and/or closing out the game in the last 20 minutes.

Raiders_Pat
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote:
June 10, 2020, 10:47 am
If Ricky thinks he can go 80, then he starts at right edge. The "earn your way back" goes out the window when there's no reggies and your starting backrower is out an extended period.

If he can't go 80, then he starts on the bench and he gives Tapine a rest after 30 minutes and plays another 10-15 after halftime. I just think he's our most mobile forward and the best suited to an edge if needed. Tapine had become a pretty decent middle but is just an average edge.

If Young can handle an edge we have something like

8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havilii/back
15. Lui
16. Hors
17. Guler

That's about our strongest team. Tapine back in the middle where he has shown his best footy. Also easier to rest him after a stint there so he can play explosively. He and Hors share 40/50 minutes each.

I would be playing the above team to close out the game... something like Tapine to start at second row and play for about 40min straight, go off for a 20min spell with Young replacing him there for the remainder of the game and Tapine coming back at lock in the last 20 mins. I've said it before but while Bateman is out, I think it's crucial to have Young back in the team when we can.

papabear
Gary Belcher

Post by papabear »

The only reason tapine isnt long term on an edge is because we have bateman and whitehead.
No bateman tapine stays on an edge.
Hudson Young imo shifts to the middle and takes minutes of whoever isnt getting there **** back and off the line and tackling like a terminator.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric

Post by Matt »

This is a 3 part Q.
1. This is the most important, has he earnt a spot? As mentioned, there is no reserve grade. So, training hard, and meeting the team imposed punishment (he was Whitey and Bateos slave at the season launch) has to be enough to make a call.

2. Where does he fit in? Bench, edge, middle.
Tapine wanted to make lock his own to start the yr, and we went as far as putting Horse on the edge to give him that chance. It failed, so Tapine moved. He has been training there for 4 or 5 months now. As the senior player, where does he want to play? Remembering that Horse has been very good at lock.
Dan Gretsien (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong, so sorry Dan), wrote a good article a few wks back about how Young has a similar playing style to Bateman. Aggressive, no backward steps, solid defensively, good footwork at the line. Now he doesn't have Bateos X-factor, but not many do. He could be an answer.
At worst, he slots onto the bench, and gives you versatility.

3. What does Ricky want? I suspect he sees Young in the top 17, but the Q is where.

simo
Bradley Clyde

Post by simo »

We are currently playing an awful shift left shift right style. Young to an edge for 80 tapine to lock and more rotations in the middle. Need to push through the middle so much more. Almost to the point where when batemans back he plays lock
Dont delete this GE

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:I would not start with Young. He will have zero match fitness. If he is selected in the 17 then he comes on around the 25-30 minute mark to play before and after half time. I would do the same with Sutton when he is looking to return. Get some game time into them before looking to extend their minutes or start them imo.
How long will it take for him to get his eye in do you reckon RR?

zim
Steve Walters

Post by zim »

Sutton looked pretty freaking good for his first game back. Defending on the edge is a whole different proposition though. I agree with Red that Young shouldn't start.

simo
Bradley Clyde

Post by simo »

zim wrote:
June 13, 2020, 11:01 pm
Sutton looked pretty freaking good for his first game back. Defending on the edge is a whole different proposition though. I agree with Red that Young shouldn't start.
Youve always hated him
Dont delete this GE

zim
Steve Walters

Post by zim »

Come on now simo if we're going to talk about things I've always hated we should start with Dr Pepper. How anyone could enjoy that drink is beyond me.

On a serious note I don't think he has the chops to defend for 80 on the edge and I really don't think there is any evidence at all that goes against that.
IMO the guy is a lock. He's got the motor and the 1 on 1 tackle technique, but he doesn't have the smarts to read the game. He's our Paul Gallen.

simo
Bradley Clyde

Post by simo »

zim wrote:
June 13, 2020, 11:16 pm
Come on now simo if we're going to talk about things I've always hated we should start with Dr Pepper. How anyone could enjoy that drink is beyond me.

On a serious note I don't think he has the chops to defend for 80 on the edge and I really don't think there is any evidence at all that goes against that.
IMO the guy is a lock. He's got the motor and the 1 on 1 tackle technique, but he doesn't have the smarts to read the game. He's our Paul Gallen.
I donr agree with you at all. Except about dr pepper. That **** is rubbish and you couldnt be more correct.
Dont delete this GE

zim
Steve Walters

Post by zim »

We might get a chance to see how he goes.... I don't think Stick will name him there on day blot but we might see a shift if Manly and Parra towel us up. I mean you'd hope to see a shift if that side is having issues. He's the only option we have.
I don't see any information on the Bateman recovery time but we'd be hoping 6 weeks?

RedRaider
Steve Walters

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote:
June 13, 2020, 10:57 pm
RedRaider wrote:I would not start with Young. He will have zero match fitness. If he is selected in the 17 then he comes on around the 25-30 minute mark to play before and after half time. I would do the same with Sutton when he is looking to return. Get some game time into them before looking to extend their minutes or start them imo.
Boom Boom Gangers. When Sticky tells him to lock up the ball he will have to be specific that he means the foot ball not an eye ball.

Sticky was saying in tonights presser that the travel was a drain and that he was going to rotate players. Not sure who gets to eat the dodgy vindaloo recipe that HorsPower had last week, but someone will get a spell. Purely on his HIA tonight it may be Tapine.

Lui cops a lot on here but I thought he was fairly solid defensively out there tonight. The question for me has to be, When all players are available is he in our best 17? The answer is probably no. Sutton and Guler were good and added lots of energy when they came on as did Havili. The selection of a back on the bench again proved useful when Rapa had to go off.

RedRaider
Steve Walters

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote:
June 13, 2020, 10:57 pm
Boom Boom Gangers. When Sticky tells him to lock up the ball he will have to be specific that he means the foot ball not an eye ball.

Sticky was saying in tonights presser that the travel was a drain and that he was going to rotate players. Not sure who gets to eat the dodgy vindaloo recipe that HorsPower had last week, but someone will get a spell. Purely on his HIA tonight it may be Tapine.

Lui cops a lot on here but I thought he was fairly solid defensively out there tonight. The question for me has to be, When all players are available is he in our best 17? The answer is probably no. Sutton and Guler were good and added lots of energy when they came on as did Havili. The selection of a back on the bench again proved useful when Rapa had to go off.