Luke Bateman departs the Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman has announced he’ll depart the Raiders effective immediately, after deciding to take some time away from the game.

“It’s been a frustrating period for me with injury and with my contract up at the end of the season and uncertainty about what my future may look like, I’ve decided to finish up with the Raiders and head home and work for a while and get away from footy for a bit,” he said. “I’m not retiring from the game and I hope to play again in the future, but at the moment this is the best decision for me.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... t-raiders/

Luke Bateman to depart Canberra Raiders

Luke Bateman wished he'd played 500 games for the Raiders, but that's "not how it works out sometimes".

"It was more of a life choice than anything. I just went and had a chat with Ricky and he was, 'Mate, you're one of us. You're a Raider and I'll support if you want to stay and if you want to go I'll support you'. I'd love to play NRL again obviously, but if it ended up being at just state cup level I'd be more than happy to do that too.I owe the Souths Logan Magpies a few years I think.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... t-raiders/

VIDEO: Luke Bateman: It was a very tough decision: Raiders forward Luke Bateman discusses his decision to finish his time with the Raiders and take a break from the game: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... -decision/

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Luke Bateman departs the Canberra Raiders

Post by Northern Raider »

Might be quite a few players doing the same. Part of the squad but no real chance of cracking 1st grade without a pile of injuries to guys ahead of them in the queue. Tough to make the sacrifices needed when they won't be playing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:
May 15, 2020, 2:32 pm
Might be quite a few players doing the same. Part of the squad but no real chance of cracking 1st grade without a pile of injuries to guys ahead of them in the queue. Tough to make the sacrifices needed when they won't be playing.
Add in the fact that the players won't be paid their full contract... and Luke has been working in forestry in Queensland during the suspension and might well be in a better financial position. Can probably play Q Cup up there too next year, if there isn't an NRL spot.

Very nice guy, best of luck to him for the future.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good player, I hope he can get his body right and get back into the game.

Reasonable decision for him though, especially under the circumstances.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Botman »

He's been at this club a long time, never quite lived up to what he looked capable of coming through but he always worked hard and never shied away from doing the tough and dirty work when on the park.

Thanks for the efforts over the years, Luke. And all the best in the future.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2020, 2:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
May 15, 2020, 2:32 pm
Add in the fact that the players won't be paid their full contract... and Luke has been working in forestry in Queensland during the suspension and might well be in a better financial position. Can probably play Q Cup up there too next year, if there isn't an NRL spot.

Very nice guy, best of luck to him for the future.
Yeah, guys on lower end contracts would be getting stuff all. Better off with alternate work in the immediate term.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

edwahu
Laurie Daley

Post by edwahu »

Good luck to him. Really they should've capped the pay cuts for the lower paid players, although I am not sure it would change things for this case.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I wish Luke all the very best.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

IBG
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: CNK, Papa

Post by IBG »

Good humble kid. Good luck to him.

RedRaider
Steve Walters

Post by RedRaider »

Loved his work ethic but some players get a bad set of injuries which affects their play and I reckon he was one of those. He leaves as Rapa returns.

raiderskater
David Furner
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm pretty sad about this. I loved watching him play because he always played like he was a foot taller and 50kg heavier. Just no fear. I still remember him running at the right angle at Sam Burgess a few years ago and it was Burgess who went flying, not him.

Fantastic work ethic and absolutely bleeds green. I was pretty happy when he was re-signed for 2020 because I reckon he's a great person to have setting the work example for the younger players. But that knee injury seemed to become a real problem and I don't blame him wanting to get away.

Still, if he wants to play again...I'm sure we'll welcome him back home with open arms.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

Old School Green
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Old School Green »

The knee has really hobbled him. I saw him at the Titans game in Rd 1 and he was hobbling. I asked him when he might be back and he said not sure. Must be tough not to be able to be where you want and need to be body/injury wise at NRL level over a prolonged period.

If I remember correctly Stuart basically chose him over Barnett. He was solid through challenging times but with your Jonneh's, Sutton's etc...I guess he was just too far down the pecking order to be able to realistically see a way back, particularly given the injury.

Good luck champ and thanks for bleeding green.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the green !!