Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by Bay53 »

I agree that if the NRL can’t start by September, it becomes unworkable to have a premiership, however, there may be some ways of still getting some revenue out of 2020.

I think even if football couldn’t start until November, I think you could do one or both of two things:

1) still play origin. This is the biggest bang for buck for saving some revenue. Clearly it would not be perfect to have Origin with no or limited preparation, but it potentially gets $20m back into the sport.

2) play a couple of Nines tournaments. I know nines hasn’t been taken seriously in the past by either clubs or fans, but I reckon if we get to November without football we will also be so desperate, it would be taken very seriously. You could have one tournament in Sydney and one in Brisbane and I reckon you would fill both.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Who owns the rights to broadcast re-runs of old seasons?

At least that would be some footy entertainment.

Log onto Kayo, pick a season (89, 90 or 94) and off you go.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

ARLC would hold the licence to it, whether they'd have archive of all of it probably would be up to 9, 10 or ABC

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think we would have monumentally bigger issues to worry about if the NRL couldn't find a way to restart by September.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Watching raiders v warriors replay on fox, re-living the good ol days :cry:
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

yeh raiders wrote: March 24, 2020, 9:19 pm Who owns the rights to broadcast re-runs of old seasons?

At least that would be some footy entertainment.

Log onto Kayo, pick a season (89, 90 or 94) and off you go.
Or you know, 2019?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You can watch the 2019 matches on NRL.com

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: March 24, 2020, 9:16 pm I agree that if the NRL can’t start by September, it becomes unworkable to have a premiership, however, there may be some ways of still getting some revenue out of 2020.

I think even if football couldn’t start until November, I think you could do one or both of two things:

1) still play origin. This is the biggest bang for buck for saving some revenue. Clearly it would not be perfect to have Origin with no or limited preparation, but it potentially gets $20m back into the sport.

2) play a couple of Nines tournaments. I know nines hasn’t been taken seriously in the past by either clubs or fans, but I reckon if we get to November without football we will also be so desperate, it would be taken very seriously. You could have one tournament in Sydney and one in Brisbane and I reckon you would fill both.
Nines hasn't been popular because it was always a halfarsed tournament on the eve of the regular season. Nobody really cared. If it was the only rugby league for the rest of 2020 then you'd expect teams and fans to embrace it with far more enthusiasm.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

If only we'd found a way to beat the Roosters in October last year. I wouldn't give a toss about this season going in the bin.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Agree will be interesting to see what happens if it drags on beyond 6 months. At the moment the strategy they are selling is to:
(1) starve the virus of spread, and thus wipe it out. But it will only take one person from OS to come back in and we go through it all over again. That path could lead to dragging it out over a very long time. I'm not sure the genie will be put back in the bottle.

The alternate path would be to:
(2) try and build immunity in the community by spreading through at a staged rate where hospitals can manage the load. Lots of people will still die and others will have some loss of lung function. As bad as this sounds - given the alternatives - I'd probably be advocating for this except... you can't be sure it won't mutate to be more lethal or start targeting children etc.

The last path is:
a vaccine. That's a wing and a prayer, given any vaccine (all going perfectly) would take 18 months, and the thing is related to the common cold.

At the moment we are being told they are trying to (1) starve it out, whilst crossing our fingers re (3) vaccine. The actual policies look more like (2) to me though. I'm not sure why if we were going for (1) we would be working at all etc. Would make more sense to completely shut the place down for 3 weeks, with police and military involved etc. Wartime for a month, then move on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think ScoMo chose option 2. The states and public worst affected are choosing option 1. That’s now making option 2 a **** choice because you have the worst combination of most of the isolation, most of the economic pain, but your impact on the virus is not achieving either target end game.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Boomercm wrote: March 25, 2020, 6:38 am Agree will be interesting to see what happens if it drags on beyond 6 months. At the moment the strategy they are selling is to:
(1) starve the virus of spread, and thus wipe it out. But it will only take one person from OS to come back in and we go through it all over again. That path could lead to dragging it out over a very long time. I'm not sure the genie will be put back in the bottle.

The alternate path would be to:
(2) try and build immunity in the community by spreading through at a staged rate where hospitals can manage the load. Lots of people will still die and others will have some loss of lung function. As bad as this sounds - given the alternatives - I'd probably be advocating for this except... you can't be sure it won't mutate to be more lethal or start targeting children etc.

The last path is:
a vaccine. That's a wing and a prayer, given any vaccine (all going perfectly) would take 18 months, and the thing is related to the common cold.

At the moment we are being told they are trying to (1) starve it out, whilst crossing our fingers re (3) vaccine. The actual policies look more like (2) to me though. I'm not sure why if we were going for (1) we would be working at all etc. Would make more sense to completely shut the place down for 3 weeks, with police and military involved etc. Wartime for a month, then move on.
The poms were going down this path until scientists advised them they're heading down a spiral path to destruction.

Worry about Australia, **** the rest we have the ability to support ourselves with food. That is what is important not some crappy piece of garbage made from China. People need to realise what is important.

Go take this advice back to cabinet Scomo.
WorkChoice
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

In terms of football I feel for the poms. They're stuck over here sans football in a very foreign situation away from most of their family.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How NRL clubs are responding to rugby league’s coronavirus shutdown

The Raiders will be closely monitoring the lockdown of borders domestically and internationally because of their contingent of English players. The tightening of travel restrictions heavily affects players such as John Bateman, whose young daughter lives in the UK. High-performance staff are working on training programs for players while in self-isolation.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... dbc524bc8c

Sharks shut down, Eels poised to follow: Cronulla have stood down their entire football staff, including coach John Morris, with Parramatta expected to follow in the near future: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 195c77aa3e

NRL’s pandemic expert says league won’t return in 2020: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6f6a5194b4
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: March 25, 2020, 8:57 am In terms of football I feel for the poms. They're stuck over here sans football in a very foreign situation away from most of their family.
I think Hodgo and Whitehead are well established here at least. I imagine for Bateman with his daughter over there it would be pretty tough.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: March 25, 2020, 10:03 am
julian87 wrote: March 25, 2020, 8:57 am In terms of football I feel for the poms. They're stuck over here sans football in a very foreign situation away from most of their family.
I think Hodgo and Whitehead are well established here at least. I imagine for Bateman with his daughter over there it would be pretty tough.
The separation was already there but taking away the footy means he's lost his purpose for being away.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL and RLPA aligned on player pay talks

The National Rugby League and the Rugby League Players’ Association have taken a united first step in resolving the issue of the financial impact of the current season suspension will have on players.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and RLPA CEO Clint Newton met today, together with a group of senior players and Club executives, to begin talks regarding the players’ share in the decreased revenue while the competition is suspended due to the COVID-19 crisis.

In a strong show of unity, both Mr Greenberg and Mr Newton described the morning’s two-hour talks as “aligned, productive and collaborative”.

Mr Greenberg said: “The conversations we started today are intended to resolve as quickly as possible what the current no-games situation means for players. We are trying to map out what is next in unbelievably difficult circumstances.

“To do this, we need to be transparent and honest, combined with the trust and confidence of the players. This means we will have hard conversations now, for the future good of the game. The NRL and the players are absolutely aligned in our desire to ensure the game gets through this crisis.”

The RLPA’s Mr Newton agreed the talks were productive and said he was committed to protecting the well-being of players and the game.

“The meeting provided the RLPA with further information regarding the financial status of the game,” Mr Newton said.

“These are clearly difficult times but we are determined to get through this together. We will always look after our people and ensuring the appropriate support is available moving forward is key. The NRL has our trust, and we are committed to working with them to achieve the most realistic outcome for our players in these challenging and uncertain times.

“Togetherness and unity across all stakeholders will be paramount in achieving the best outcomes for the future of the game."

Agreement on player payment conditions is expected to be reached by end of week.

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coronavirus to hit jobs at Canberra Raiders

Raiders chief executive Don Furner will address the media to spell out the financial implications for the club and their employees on Thursday.

"We're working through it. There's going to be lost jobs. There's going to be people stood down," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

They've got another family here': Raiders' English stars can't get home after coronavirus crackdown in UK

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has huge respect for his English contingent who are remaining in Australia during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I know it's tough on them but they've got another family here with the Canberra Raiders," he said. "We'll do whatever we can to make sure they're comforted.Their families back home should know they're safe and it's paramount we look after our own, and we'll do that.''

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/they-v ... 54dd1.html

Ricky Stuart says Canberra Raiders set to take a big financial hit

Ricky Stuart says the Canberra Raiders are set to take a big financial hit as a result of the coronavirus lockdowns.

"Everybody is going to take a hit," Stuart said. "Our leagues clubs..we've got good operators who have set up a very strong foundation but now all our clubs are closed. Our lifeline are our clubs and they're closed and there's no cash incoming.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/ricky-stua ... 166d90c2a2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders stand down staff due to NRL coronavirus suspension

The Canberra Raiders have closed their doors with all administration staff stood down following the suspension of the NRL season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is understood Canberra's football operations department will be guaranteed their salaries until the end of April, at which point personal entitlements will kick in.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Updated Information: Canberra Raiders COVID-19

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) and the suspension of the 2020 Telstra Premiership, the Canberra Raiders administration will be closed from Friday March 27 until further notice.

Administration staff have been stood down indefinitely, this extends to the Canberra District Rugby League operations also. The Raiders Centre and Raiders HQ in Bruce will be closed from Friday, with all phone, email and club communications unavailable during this period.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... -covid-19/

Raiders shut down brand new Centre of Excellence, stand down staff: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... e3005c9db5

Raiders move into $19m high-performance centre, then lock doors: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/26/rai ... ock-doors/

VIDEO: We will be back: We have experienced many highs and suffered many lows. We will be back. We are Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... l-be-back/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Raiders CEO Don Furner addresses the media: Canberra Raiders Chief Executive Officer Don Furner has addressed the media today outlining what the immediate future holds for the players and staff: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... the-media/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson says players have been told they might not be paid beyond next salary instalment

Josh Hodgson says players are still coming to terms with the reality of the worst case scenario now facing them.

“There is a potential we may not get anything,” Hodgson said. “We only finished playing last week. To say we might not even get paid in two weeks is a weird one. I think we are guaranteed one pay but after that I am not sure.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4a0ad2056a

Brent Read reveals the "89 per cent" pay cut NRL players face is 50 per cent over the course of the year... in the worst case scenario: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/brent- ... ace-158807

Laurie Daley: Brisbane Broncos premiers, Canberra Raiders runners up: Here's how the NRL season might have gone in 2020

"The Raiders were just ultra professional in the opening games. What I've liked about them most is they haven't been anywhere near their best but they have been able to get the job done without too much fuss and beat the sort of teams they are expected to beat. A few years back, they couldn't do that."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

VIDEO: ‘It was relentless’: Michael Ennis reveals why he goaded Canberra Raiders fans with that infamous Viking clap: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... lap!770610
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I personally never had an issue with the Ennis clap.

It showed that we were a club to be feared and overcoming us was a great achievement.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

What is the general vibe regarding the Raiders viability and survival after this shutdown?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Depends on the leagues club and raiders group.

John McIntyre seemed confident there was enough to keep us afloat

We'll be running a much slimmer operation in the future though.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

There's gonna be a lot of nudie runs at the end of the year :o
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Season over for Canberra Raiders lower grades, as NSWRL cancels NSW Cup, Jersey Flegg and Junior Representatives for 2020

The National Rugby League (NRL), along with New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL), Queensland Rugby League (QRL) and the Affiliated States, has announced the cancellation of a number of male and female competitions, tournaments and national representative programs.

The uncertain and unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic made the scheduling of these fixtures untenable in 2020.

NRL Head of Football – Participation, Pathways and Game Development Luke Ellis said the decision was unfortunate but necessary under the circumstances.

“I know this will be a disappointing outcome for those involved in these competitions right across Australia, but the health and safety of those involved with rugby league must always come first,” Mr Ellis said.

“It was essential for us to at least give the players, clubs and staff some certainty going forward so they can focus on themselves and their families during this uncertain time.”

NSWRL Chief Executive David Trodden said: “It is devastating for everyone involved but the advice has changed dramatically since we suspended these competitions nine days ago.”

“We have an obligation to be part of the solution for this pandemic, both for the Rugby League community and also for the community more generally. This view was uppermost in the minds of the Board.”

QRL Managing Director Rob Moore said: “We understand the outcome is a heartbreaking one for the rugby league community, but it’s a call that simply had to be made given the current circumstances.”

“Rugby league is part of the fabric of Queensland, and as such, we have key responsibilities to the wider community as well.

The cancelled competitions include:

National: Harvey Norman Women’s National Championship; National Schoolboys Championships; all Combined Affiliated States representative football

Queensland Rugby League: Intrust Super Cup; BHP Premiership; Hastings Deering Colts; Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup

New South Wales Rugby League: Canterbury Cup NSW; Jersey Flegg Cup (Under 20s); UNE SG Ball Cup (Under 18s); Laurie Daley Cup (Under 18s); Harvey Norman Tarsha Gale Cup (Under 18s women); UNE Harold Matthews Cup (Under 16s); Andrew Johns Cup (Under 16s); Women’s Country Championships and Men’s Under 23s Country Championships.

NRL media release

NRL cancels Magic Round Brisbane 2020

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today announced the cancellation of Magic Round Brisbane 2020.

The decision to cancel the May event follows the announcement earlier this week that the NRL Telstra Premiership would be suspended due to the COVID-19 public health crisis.

With the health situation continuing to worsen and advice from government health officials and biosecurity experts that the current lock-down measures including travel restrictions to Queensland, and restrictions on mass gatherings are to continue for an extended period, the NRL said it had no option but to cancel Magic Round Brisbane in 2020.

NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said while this year’s event was cancelled, it would return in 2021.

“These are challenging times for our community and our game, but we had to take this action as there was simply no other option,” Mr Abdo said.

“We have always said we would continue but only as long as it was safe to do so for our players, staff and the wider Rugby League community. We appreciate this will be disappointing for many people, but the NRL can assure fans that Magic Round Brisbane will return in 2021, bigger and better than ever.”

Mr Abdo thanked all Magic Round Brisbane partners for their support.

“In particular, I would like to extend my thanks to Tourism and Events Queensland, Brisbane Marketing, and our presenting partner KFC for their support and understanding,” Mr Abdo said.

Fans who have already purchased tickets or hospitality packages will be contacted directly by the NRL or Ticketek within the next week regarding how to obtain refunds.

For all other purchases relating to the event (e.g. airfares, accommodation, car hire) it is the individual ticket holder’s responsibility to obtain refunds or credits as made available by these providers. Ticket holders are advised to contact these providers directly.

NRL media release

Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/27/maj ... australia/

Rugby League Coaches Association has plenty to offer at NRL table: Mal Meninga: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Pay negotiations between the NRL and its players will linger into next week after the two parties failed to reach an agreement on Friday: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4a0ad2056a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO/AUDIO: Laurie Daley: Canberra Raiders had a great shot at winning the competition: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... omp!770689
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Beers and burgers as Canberra Raiders say farewell and close doors

It was tough to watch. His Canberra Raiders staff setting up the desks they haven't spent a single day at. Raiders chief executive Don Furner then shared a beer and a burger with his staff.

"We're just about to buy them some hamburgers and at 3pm we're going to shut up shop and have a beer with them and that's it. They walk out," Furner said. "They've unpacked their desks. Literally started at 6.30am. Packed everything at Bruce, brought it all here. They won't even spend a day at their desk.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

That actually hit me right in the feels. The poor staff. All that hard work to get us moved into the new joint and they don't even get to enjoy it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So the AFL has announced a deal with the players association.

50%, and then something for each remaining game.

NRL due to announce early next week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 28, 2020, 12:00 pm So the AFL has announced a deal with the players association.

50%, and then something for each remaining game.

NRL due to announce early next week.
That's a very good deal for the players. Hopefully the NRL players realise they took out huge loans the NRL can't to secure the money.

If the NRL players do end up accepting 80% range cuts or especially deals which cap max salary they could look pretty good in comparison.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman to be interviewed soon on Fox League Live, Channel 502.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Sid wrote: March 27, 2020, 12:41 pm There's gonna be a lot of nudie runs at the end of the year :o
Post of the year Sid :roflmao