Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 4:42 pm
Finchy wrote: Again, the cancer thing is a false equivalency. If the "hard work" that got us here was vaccinations, masks, and checks ins, then why now, after it's established that the vaccines don't really work or for very long against new strains, are we removing restrictions when there's tens of thousands of cases spreading?
If restrictions and interventions did nothing why is our death rate lower than other countries?
Finchy wrote: If we're basically going back to square one, isn't that a concession that the restrictions were an overreaction? If our starting point for COVID was "we're vulnerable without vaccines, masks, or check ins, everyone isolate!", and now two years in, our position is "the vaccines aren't very effective or long lasting against new variants which have taken over, but we don't need masks, check ins, or isolation", how are we any better off?
We’re not back to square one. The vaccines have been shown to have the resistance to infection wear off. But the reduction in serious outcomes like hospitalisation last longer.

The vaccines were very effective against Delta. Omicron is a different beasts and evades vaccines more successfully largely because it’s quite different, luckily those differences also mean more it’s not as harmful as Delta was.
Point 1 - probably due to many reasons. Better health care? Better living conditions? Wealthier country? Vastly smaller and better spaced population? I imagine you'd get more deaths in an overcrowded cesspool in a third-world slum regardless of vaccinations.

Point 2 - I completely agree. The issue is the vaccines aren't very effective now at stopping current strains, which are luckily not as harmful, but are spreading like wildfire. Which is my point. Instead of freaking out and getting plunged back into lockdown, the governments around the world are scrapping the restrictions because they are unsustainable, and the current strains aren't as bad. So we are learning to live with it, like the flu. Which is my original point.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I like the cut of this finchy's jib.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 4:44 pm
Finchy wrote: Again, if after two weeks we've got 20 thousand COVID positive kids returning home to parents and relatives, if it's that bad, why aren't we in lockdown again? Why are schools open? Maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.
Who said we should lockdown? No one.

I’m suggesting maybe RAT testing for a few extra weeks might have been a good idea. Particularly if it got a lot more kids to their second vaccine dose.
This is my point though - if it's so bad (quote - "*checks notes, not the flu*") why aren't we going back into lockdown when 20 thousand kids have caught it in two weeks? Because, maybe, it's not that bad.

I have no issue with the RAT tests. But for how long? If 20 thousand kids have caught it in two weeks and are now isolating, is that sustainable long term? They'll probably catch it every month for the whole year at current infection levels, and even when vaccinated, it doesn't really stop current strains from spreading. Are we happy for kids to miss half a year of school when they probably won't have anything worse than a sniffle each time they get it?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Question wrote:I like the cut of this finchy's jib.

Perhaps the only thing that could make Finchy realise he’s dribbling nonsense.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hes on the the money mate, Dont be frightened.

This place is woke.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 4:58 pm
Question wrote:I like the cut of this finchy's jib.

Perhaps the only thing that could make Finchy realise he’s dribbling nonsense.
And yet the governments around the world seem to agree with me, hence the rolling back of restrictions, because the current strains aren't that bad.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

More concerning than COVID is the outbreak of Pink Eye during the protests last week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think it's an either or situation

the initial outbreak was extremely severe and required an extreme response in order to protect the community and ease the burden on health systems, we were seeing early what was happening when these health systems were unable to cope... it was bad. Very bad.

But as this thing has gone on, and people have been getting vaccinated and the new dominant strains seem to be less severe in their symptoms, then yes, countries are reacting to that changing landscape by changing how they deal with it. And yes, people are generally fed up with restrictions

We're dealing with a different situation and different strain now 2 years later than what we were dealing with in 2019. It makes sense that they are being treated differently.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Nailed it Bot. People aren’t looking at the current situation as a ‘result’ of all our efforts.

We have comparatively low icu/hospitalisation/fatality numbers now because once the significantly weaker strain had entered our community we had a much much higher vaccination rate than other counties.

Saying the first 18 months were an overreaction based on data sets from a highly vaccinated community against omicron completely misses the point that initial reactions and restrictions were for a completely different strain in a completely different environmental and community situation.

Opening up now makes sense, that’s why governments are doing it. Locking down before made sense, that’s why governments did it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And let's not discount the political side of things

If we came out of lockdown with focus groups telling the pollies that we love home schooling and find it really rewarding, and no one was upset about travel restrictions because it's allowed them to reconnect with local community and supporting local business and masks and check ins werent a mild inconvienence but rather everyone loved being germ free and knowing where they'd been, and industries reliant on OS patronage werent dying on the vine and were instead thriving, etc... the mandates wouldnt be rolling back right now...

There is a lot that goes into these things... and comparing the situation now with Omircon and a high vaccinated community and trying to link that back to OG 'Rona and the situation in 2019 is chalk and cheese... it's as much a false equivalency as any of the cancer or eating stuff... the situations are not really comparable given all the factors

I dont think we've handled this perfectly, i dont think anyone has. I think we've done somethings that really didnt make a lot of sense, and some restrictions and mandates probably didnt get rolled back quickly enough. But it is what it is.

I just need to get me some time on a Fiji beach with a cocktail and i'll all the annoyances slip away with the tide
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

oh and Gangers was too kind and polite

Ben Fordham is a very sizeable, smelly, miserable, sack of human EDIT who really needs to be flushed as soon as we can get piping big enough to flush a **** of his size.
**** Ben Fordham.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

This is just confirming my point, that in the current climate it’s not that bad and should be treated like the flu. Not that it IS the flu, but should be treated as such, which, with all the restrictions being peeled back, is heading that way.

And why the Ben Fordham hate? Nothing like a good ad hominem attack. What’s he said that’s so reprehensible?

I note that unless something comes from the ABC or the Guardian, any other news content gets discounted. Usually for airing an inconvenient truth which the left doesn’t want to hear and can’t debate.

“Oh it was aired on Fox News? Sky news? Was in a Murdoch publication? Must be evil lies!”

Newsflash: the ABC and the Guardian are just as biased in their reporting, but it conforms with your viewpoint, so any opposing views must be evil and wrong.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Spot on Coastal and Botman
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The ABC has a charter for independence. The Murdoch press has a charter for ummm… serving the interests of Murdoch?

Comparing the two for bias is laughable.

Ben Fordham’s “interpretation” of the data is completely logically flawed. That’s why it’s getting slammed. Not because of who said it. The fact that some people don’t have the critical thinking to recognise the obvious flaws is why fake news is winning.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'm on record here as pushing back against the Murdoch media excuse for poor election results of ALP. Much to the chagrin of other posters. So you're barking up the wrong tree there with me Finchy re: Murdoch media narrative.

I just dont really care for shock jocks. These people just say **** for ratings, Fordham is no different. There is little to no integrity in what they're saying, they dont really understand half the issues they speak about with authority, i can garantee you they dont even believe half of it.

I just think they're predatory in how leech off people's anger and rile up their listeners, often with half truths and sometimes with outright lies, in order to boost ratings and line their own pockets.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

After two years, we re-opened the doors to the business this morning.

Feels amazing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 21, 2022, 7:50 am After two years, we re-opened the doors to the business this morning.

Feels amazing.
That's very awesome, mate. Congrats!
:thumbsup :woot: :thumbsup :woot:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: February 21, 2022, 8:12 am
T_R wrote: February 21, 2022, 7:50 am After two years, we re-opened the doors to the business this morning.

Feels amazing.
Thanks. Cannot believe we made it through.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

T_R wrote:
Botman wrote: February 21, 2022, 8:12 am

Feels amazing.
Thanks. Cannot believe we made it through.
Well done and congrats T_R Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Good news TR

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Congrats TR, let’s hope that it never comes to that again.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Coronavirus

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:After two years, we re-opened the doors to the business this morning.

Feels amazing.
Well done mate! Fingers crossed this is it now.

Have to say, I’m a little confused by all the hoo ha today of people coming back today. People have been able to fly home during this whole time. Adam Hills has talked about how many times he’s flown to and from the UK during the pandemic.

I’m assuming these people either didn’t want to do the rigmarole of taking the Govt flights, didn’t want to pay the higher air fares, or were incredibly unlucky not to have gotten flights back this whole time.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t think anyone else has said it yet, so congrats T_R
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank you all very much!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is it too late? Good day TR!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

ScoMo has the Covid.

Triple jabbed..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Feels amazing.
How is it going one week into the re-opening T_R? Hopefully everything is falling into place well.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: March 2, 2022, 5:47 am ScoMo has the Covid.

Triple jabbed..
That's the issue with the Omicron variant PJ, vaccines designed to counter earlier strains of Covid 19 are known to be less effective against Omicron. It does not mean the vaccines have zero effect though. With vaccination the numbers going to hospital are much reduced. Australia being one of the most highly vaccinated nations on Earth means the Hospital system is currently not being overwhelmed. I remember the tragic situation in Italy in early 2020 when Doctors were forced to make decisions on who they could provide a Hospital bed to.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure if the previous discussion was in this thread or the politics, but it seems that the convoy is coming back to Canberra or already back. We're all relying on you Botman, for updates.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: March 23, 2022, 6:56 am Not sure if the previous discussion was in this thread or the politics, but it seems that the convoy is coming back to Canberra or already back. We're all relying on you Botman, for updates.
The cooker watch party tailed off at the end... not a lot of content besides Bosi rants, at that point it was about 10-15 people it seemed just sort of loitering around a camp site and occasionally popping up at an embassy to yell.

but rest assured if they come back in numbers and start cooking up a storm again, i'll be watching :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They might struggle for numbers this time round. They got every person possible last time and most would look back and realise that nothing meaningful occurred. A lot of effort for no real outcome. Motivation will be low for a 2nd dip.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What is it that they want at this stage?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: March 23, 2022, 8:40 am What is it that they want at this stage?
Not totally sure what they wanted last time. Their gripe was mostly around State Government imposed mandates so didn't make much sense to target Canberra.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I believe the rough copy of the demand list is as such:

- removal of all covid mandates
- everyone who lost their job to be given their job back
- dissolution of parliament by Governor-General
- prosecution of the demonic-Masonite pedophiles who are entrenched at all levels of our society
- public hanging for those found guilty

And then once all that happens, i presume Riccardo Bosi is installed as our rightful king... long may he reign.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: March 23, 2022, 9:44 am
I believe the rough copy of the demand list is as such:

- removal of all covid mandates
- everyone who lost their job to be given their job back
- dissolution of parliament by Governor-General
- prosecution of the demonic-Masonite pedophiles who are entrenched at all levels of our society
- public hanging for those found guilty

And then once all that happens, i presume Riccardo Bosi is installed as our rightful king... long may he reign.
Well, it's hard to see how wandering around the streets of Canberra waving the Merchant Navy flag won't achieve that. I imagine they'll declare victory, break down the gallows again and return to their homes presently.