2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 128151
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by greeneyed » November 25, 2019, 5:13 am

2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Image

This is the sixteenth instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine, Bailey Simonsson and Emre Guler.

Corey Horsburgh made his NRL debut in Round 1 of 2019 against the Gold Coast Titans. He went on to make 22 first grade appearances in green - and share the Raiders Rookie of the Year award on Meninga Medal night with Bailey Simonsson. He started in two matches - the Round 12 game against the Bulldogs and the Round 25 clash with the Warriors. He came off the bench in the remaining 20 games.

The red headed Horsburgh struggled a little with his discipline early in the season - and condeded too many crucial errors and penalties. He dropped back to Mounties for three games between Rounds 5-7. He was sent off in the Round 6 NSW Cup clash against the Warriors, for an illegal tackle - but most observers thought it was just a good hit and no judiciary charge resulted.

He returned to first grade in Round 8 against the Panthers... and just when he was hitting peak form, he fractured his elbow in the Round 12 win over the Bulldogs. He missed the following two weeks - but did not miss another NRL match after his return in the Round 15 clash with the Eels in Darwin. He played one more game for Mounties during the Raiders' Round 16 bye - but was a critical part of the first grade prop rotation as the Green Machine charged to the Grand Final.

I rated Horsburgh 6.4/10 on average through the season - and his rating below was on the cusp of a "7" for the season overall. I rated him a "7" in 13 matches, including the final seven games of the season. He picked up points in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting in three games (Rd 11 V Cowboys, Rd 12 V Bulldogs and Rd 22 V Storm). His best match was the Round 12 win over the Bulldogs, when he made 35 tackles (equal highest for the year, alongside the Preliminary Final). His highest tally for running metres (178) came in the Round 11 loss to the Cowboys - but he also broke 150 metres gained against the Storm (Rd 22) and Sharks (Rd 24).



His statistics for 2019 reflect the fact he was used mostly as a bench player. Despite that, he ranked third amongst the Raiders forwards for average runs (11) and running metres (92), behind only Josh Papalii and John Bateman. He ranked seventh for metres per run (8.4), ahead of the likes of Elliott Whitehead and Dunamis Lui. He's not the sort of player who makes a lot of tackle breaks or line breaks, but ranked third for offloads (23) behind Papalii and Bateman. He averaged almost 21 tackles per game, just ahead of Lui and Sia Soliola. He tackle efficiency rate (91 per cent) was fairly good, and he averaged just one missed tackle per game. He posted just three try causes for the season. He ended the season with a low error count, but ranked fifth at the club for penalties conceded. He did, however, improve his discipline considerably in the second half of the season.

Overall, it was an impressive debut season for Horsburgh - and his form was particularly strong in the run to the finals. He's obviously a fast learner - and has has huge potential. He is still aged just 21, and that is very young for a prop. He was selected for the Australian Under 23s team to play France at the end of the season - and that was very well deserved. I can hardly wait to see how he progresses in 2020.

How did you rate Corey Horsburgh's 2019? Tell us below.

Corey Horsburgh's 2019: 6.5/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 34
Points: 0
Tries: 0
Goals: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 242
All run metres: 2042
Average metres per carry: 8.4
Average metres per game: 92
Tackle breaks: 6
Offloads: 23
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 1
Tackles: 456
Average tackles per game: 20.7
1 on 1 tackles: 23
Missed tackles: 21
Average missed tackles per game: 1
Tackle efficiency: 91 per cent
Try causes: 3
Line break causes: 5
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 12
Image

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18272
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by -PJ- » November 25, 2019, 5:30 am

Redhorse is big, strong and angry.
Loves the dirty stuff, he's had a good 19.

Has the odd error in his game but the offseason will fix that.

6 is about right.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19176
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by edwahu » November 25, 2019, 5:54 am

a strong 7/10. I thought he was the number 2 middle over the course of the season and his games against top sides in particular were outstanding.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13416
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by bonehead » November 25, 2019, 6:56 am

starts in 2020, his upward trajectory has been excellent since he joined the club

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44456
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by The Nickman » November 25, 2019, 7:12 am

7/10 for mine. Didn’t impress me when he started for the club, I just couldn’t see what the hype was all about. Turns out I was seriously wrong, he’s really warmed to me over the back half of the season, has a tremendous impact and workrate and once he cut out a few of the silly penalties he really matured as a first grader.

Really looking forward to seeing how the big fella develops in 2020.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32617
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by Matt » November 25, 2019, 10:42 am

I would have said 6.5-7, so happy with the score.
He looks like he will be a good FG, with upside to be a really good FG with Origin aspirations in the future. You dont 'handle' Sam Burgess 2 or 3 games into a career if you arent good.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18272
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by -PJ- » November 25, 2019, 10:59 am

Matt wrote:
November 25, 2019, 10:42 am
I would have said 6.5-7, so happy with the score.
He looks like he will be a good FG, with upside to be a really good FG with Origin aspirations in the future. You dont 'handle' Sam Burgess 2 or 3 games into a career if you arent good.
He handled Sam so well he quit...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32617
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by Matt » November 25, 2019, 11:07 am

-PJ- wrote:
November 25, 2019, 10:59 am
Matt wrote:
November 25, 2019, 10:42 am
I would have said 6.5-7, so happy with the score.
He looks like he will be a good FG, with upside to be a really good FG with Origin aspirations in the future. You dont 'handle' Sam Burgess 2 or 3 games into a career if you arent good.
He handled Sam so well he quit...
:lol:

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2967
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by BadnMean » November 25, 2019, 11:13 am

He hits hard and manages to have an impact on the game. The type of "mongrel" forward who likes to take it personally and get stuck into the other pack and not let his team get steamrolled- hence his good games vs good packs.

I like him. No idea if he's got more in the tank to go to rep level one day, but he's looking like a pretty handy FG'er.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22096
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by Seiffert82 » November 25, 2019, 9:27 pm

The Red Rage was the rookie I was most looking forward to seeing play. I never expected him to have as much impact as he did in his first season.

This guy is all effort and aggression. The way he stood up to seasoned opponents from the moment he walked on the field impressed me. I still can't believe he's only 21. The harder the opposition, the better he plays - and we came up against some nasty forward packs towards the end of the season. That says a lot. Would I run at him? No way! Get ****!

I absolutely have him in my starting lineup with Papalii come 2020. That allows Sia to start off the bench to manage his minutes.

6.5/10 for me, noting those few games where he easily scored 7.5's. Doesn't take a backwards step and has a handy offload. I love watching him play.

User avatar
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2228
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by Coastalraider » November 26, 2019, 11:25 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
November 25, 2019, 9:27 pm
The Red Rage was the rookie I was most looking forward to seeing play. I never expected him to have as much impact as he did in his first season.

This guy is all effort and aggression. The way he stood up to seasoned opponents from the moment he walked on the field impressed me. I still can't believe he's only 21. The harder the opposition, the better he plays - and we came up against some nasty forward packs towards the end of the season. That says a lot. Would I run at him? No way! Get ****!

I absolutely have him in my starting lineup with Papalii come 2020. That allows Sia to start off the bench to manage his minutes.

6.5/10 for me, noting those few games where he easily scored 7.5's. Doesn't take a backwards step and has a handy offload. I love watching him play.
With a solid start to the year it would not surprise me in any way for him to get a Maroon jersey this year. He looks to be the type of player to suit that arena.

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7599
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by RedRaider » November 27, 2019, 8:53 pm

7/10. Agree Coastalraider. I reckon he has SOO written all over him. Raiders will have 2 Qld props (Papa and Horse) if the selectors are watching. I like the fact that he learned very quickly that boofhead plays let your mates down. There are others who are more experienced who could take a leaf out of his book - BJ and Tarps. Not only that but we have a potential Blues prop in Guler. Add Sia and Lui and the Prop stocks at the Raiders look good to start season 2020.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22096
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2019 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by Seiffert82 » November 27, 2019, 10:22 pm

Coastalraider wrote:
November 26, 2019, 11:25 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
November 25, 2019, 9:27 pm
The Red Rage was the rookie I was most looking forward to seeing play. I never expected him to have as much impact as he did in his first season.

This guy is all effort and aggression. The way he stood up to seasoned opponents from the moment he walked on the field impressed me. I still can't believe he's only 21. The harder the opposition, the better he plays - and we came up against some nasty forward packs towards the end of the season. That says a lot. Would I run at him? No way! Get ****!

I absolutely have him in my starting lineup with Papalii come 2020. That allows Sia to start off the bench to manage his minutes.

6.5/10 for me, noting those few games where he easily scored 7.5's. Doesn't take a backwards step and has a handy offload. I love watching him play.
With a solid start to the year it would not surprise me in any way for him to get a Maroon jersey this year. He looks to be the type of player to suit that arena.
Yeah, the Maroons have a few good young forwards coming through, but he's right up there...without all the hype.

It got to the point where I was actually looking forward to our starting props having a rest so he could come on. The guy has a lot of ticker and would absolutely thrive in Origin.

Post Reply