Strongest 2020 line up

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2927
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by BadnMean » November 3, 2019, 8:10 pm

Havilii is a good player. His spark comes from his offload ability and tackle breaking ability- he does both on the regular, which is also what makes him a good middle forward off the bench.

He plays clean, early ball, very direct, quite different to Hodgo. Which is a plus in a way. Different style, he can come on and Jack and G Willy and the edges are all going to get early ball in the opposition end.

He tackles like a middle forward.

He takes the barge over yourself option too often- but that can be ironed out.

I like him as our backup #9 while we find a young one to develop. Havilii can step in and I think we can win games. Tonga did ok with him.

I don't necessarily mind if Ricky includes him in our 17- because having a back on the bench with HIA is a new concept teams need to roll with IMO but I have no fears if we need to get through a period of the season with Havilii as #9.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26081
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Botman » November 3, 2019, 8:12 pm

gangrenous wrote:
November 3, 2019, 8:06 pm
Havili is better than most first string hookers...
100%
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26081
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Botman » November 3, 2019, 8:12 pm

gangrenous wrote:
November 3, 2019, 8:06 pm
Havili is better than most first string hookers...
100%
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

Mickey_Raider wrote:
November 2, 2019, 5:24 pm
Seems like something of a consensus that the three changes from our GF team are:

Williams > Sezer
Havili > Rapana (Simmonsen)
Sutton > Lui

I think its the right call RE: Lui. He played above himself for the first half of 2019 and the rest of the year represented a regression to the mean. He should be first prop off the ranks in reserve.

I think its quite fortunate we have a bona fide FG player in Havili to slot straight in too. I think he is a touch underrated by some.
I think Havili is underrated by our coach.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 3, 2019, 8:21 pm

BadnMean wrote:
November 3, 2019, 8:10 pm
Havilii is a good player. His spark comes from his offload ability and tackle breaking ability- he does both on the regular, which is also what makes him a good middle forward off the bench.

He plays clean, early ball, very direct, quite different to Hodgo. Which is a plus in a way. Different style, he can come on and Jack and G Willy and the edges are all going to get early ball in the opposition end.

He tackles like a middle forward.

He takes the barge over yourself option too often- but that can be ironed out.

I like him as our backup #9 while we find a young one to develop. Havilii can step in and I think we can win games. Tonga did ok with him.

I don't necessarily mind if Ricky includes him in our 17- because having a back on the bench with HIA is a new concept teams need to roll with IMO but I have no fears if we need to get through a period of the season with Havilii as #9.
I love Havili on the bench. At worst he covers the back row, but he also gives coverage at 9 and would also allow Stuart to play Hodgo in the halves like he did in 2012 when he often played Hodgson and Baptiste on the park at the same time.

Being able to play Hodgson at 7 also allows Stuart to move Wighton to 1 or 4 to cover injuries in the backs.

We are so much more versatile with Havili at 14. Especially given he's a quality 9 or backrower in his own right.

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6708
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by afgtnk » November 3, 2019, 8:39 pm

I think Stuart has (rightly) veered away from playing Hodgson out of position mid match, like when he used to occasionally play in the middle and even take the ball up like a forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't done it for a couple of seasons.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2927
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by BadnMean » November 3, 2019, 9:36 pm

afgtnk wrote:
November 3, 2019, 8:39 pm
I think Stuart has (rightly) veered away from playing Hodgson out of position mid match, like when he used to occasionally play in the middle and even take the ball up like a forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't done it for a couple of seasons.
Correct, more or less. For 2 reasons.

Using your best creator and brain as a middle third battering ram or "ball playing lock" is dumb. Jack can do that! Hodgo shouldn't.

Whenever we put Hodgo in the halves he really got found out easily on lateral movement by any team with pace or footwork to out against him. Great player- just not in his wheelhouse to do that and he got found out every time. In the middle he can cope as he is squished in tight, no space to defend and he has developed his strip as a counter to people who try to just run over him (hit the ball high, hold on and slow down, strip if able).

Moving Hodgo and Jack is not the go.

Have an outside back on the bench so we only have to replace like for like- outside back for outside back, depending on configuration/injury seems the go to me. If your back are going to be returning kicks + taking our ruck outs into the teeth of the forwards you really need cover as one if going to get a 15 min HIA at the bare minimum every couple of games.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 4, 2019, 12:35 am

I don't understand that at all.

The likelihood and impact of having your dummy half go down under a HIA is far greater than an outside back. All I am suggesting is that having the likes of Wighton and Bateman in the team, you can cover an outside back going down for a period given how versatile they are.

Anyway, each to their own. I'd much prefer having Havili in the 14 than a winger.

FROG
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 910
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by FROG » November 4, 2019, 4:55 am

X2 S82. I think the reason simonsson was on thw bench was that he was too good to leave put of the 17. Not because it made sence to play a back ahead of a 9. Can you imagine what would have happened if hodgo was HIA in the bunnies game? Who'd have slotted in at 9? In any event, i cannot see us winning that game without an established 9 and the beauty of havili is that he is also a damaging forward so you will always get minutes outnof him regardless of what happens during the game

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19147
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by edwahu » November 4, 2019, 6:08 am

You are multiple times more likely to lose a back than a hooker. There are 5 of them after all.

I'm surprised we haven't seen the return of more genuine utilities already. It's the perfect time for them.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 769
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Raiders_Pat » November 4, 2019, 6:25 am

Billy Walker wrote:
November 3, 2019, 6:57 pm
Havilli is the best back up 9 we have at this stage but I’d love to see someone take the title off him this year. He’s solid but he has errors in him and doesn’t provide huge spark when he comes on. Not convinced Starling is the answer but hopefully he steps up or we unearth someone new.
"...best back up 9 we have at this stage..." Lol he's the best back up 9 we've ever had! I can somewhat agree with the notion that he doesn't provide all that much when he comes on at lock. But I can't really think of many back up 9s in the NRL that I'd trade him for...

Moving on, I also think we'd be better off carrying a back on the bench for that utility role, but I don't know who the man for the job would be this early in the off season (and I also think it's unnecessary to play someone in that role who isn't up for the task). Therefore, Havili is in my best 17 for the moment.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on November 4, 2019, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 769
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Raiders_Pat » November 4, 2019, 6:27 am

I think our best set up on the bench this year was two middle forwards, one backrower and one back

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3153
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Billy Walker » November 4, 2019, 8:14 am

Raiders_Pat wrote:
November 4, 2019, 6:25 am
Billy Walker wrote:
November 3, 2019, 6:57 pm
Havilli is the best back up 9 we have at this stage but I’d love to see someone take the title off him this year. He’s solid but he has errors in him and doesn’t provide huge spark when he comes on. Not convinced Starling is the answer but hopefully he steps up or we unearth someone new.
"...best back up 9 we have at this stage..." Lol he's the best back up 9 we've ever had! I can somewhat agree with the notion that he doesn't provide all that much when he comes on at lock. But I can't really think of many back up 9s in the NRL that I'd trade him for...

Moving on, I also think we'd be better off carrying a back on the bench for that utility role, but I don't know who the man for the job would be this early in the off season (and I also think it's unnecessary to play someone in that role who isn't up for the task). Therefore, Havili is in my best 17 for the moment.
So we seem to be agreeing. I said Havilli is our best back up 9 but it would be great to unearth someone who could provide a bit more spark off the bench. Ricky leaving Havilli off the bench through the finals suggests he is also looking for more from the 14. If Hodgo is out Havilli is the go to but as an impact player off the bench he has limitations. There is no obvious replacement at this stage but like I said I think this is an area we could improve on if we manage to find a dynamic 14. Wouldn’t be the worst thing if we don’t, Havilli is more than solid but there is room for improvement in that position I believe.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23466
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Northern Raider » November 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Raiders_Pat wrote:
November 4, 2019, 6:25 am
Billy Walker wrote:
November 3, 2019, 6:57 pm
Havilli is the best back up 9 we have at this stage but I’d love to see someone take the title off him this year. He’s solid but he has errors in him and doesn’t provide huge spark when he comes on. Not convinced Starling is the answer but hopefully he steps up or we unearth someone new.
"...best back up 9 we have at this stage..." Lol he's the best back up 9 we've ever had! I can somewhat agree with the notion that he doesn't provide all that much when he comes on at lock. But I can't really think of many back up 9s in the NRL that I'd trade him for...

Moving on, I also think we'd be better off carrying a back on the bench for that utility role, but I don't know who the man for the job would be this early in the off season (and I also think it's unnecessary to play someone in that role who isn't up for the task). Therefore, Havili is in my best 17 for the moment.
I'd say Luke Priddis was our best ever backup hooker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3153
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Billy Walker » November 4, 2019, 8:38 am

Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:34 am
Raiders_Pat wrote:
November 4, 2019, 6:25 am
Billy Walker wrote:
November 3, 2019, 6:57 pm
Havilli is the best back up 9 we have at this stage but I’d love to see someone take the title off him this year. He’s solid but he has errors in him and doesn’t provide huge spark when he comes on. Not convinced Starling is the answer but hopefully he steps up or we unearth someone new.
"...best back up 9 we have at this stage..." Lol he's the best back up 9 we've ever had! I can somewhat agree with the notion that he doesn't provide all that much when he comes on at lock. But I can't really think of many back up 9s in the NRL that I'd trade him for...

Moving on, I also think we'd be better off carrying a back on the bench for that utility role, but I don't know who the man for the job would be this early in the off season (and I also think it's unnecessary to play someone in that role who isn't up for the task). Therefore, Havili is in my best 17 for the moment.
I'd say Luke Priddis was our best ever backup hooker.
I agree with that - Wayne Collins was handy as well

User avatar
GreenMachine
Simon Woolford
Posts: 478
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by GreenMachine » November 4, 2019, 8:53 am

IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2347
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Beejay » November 4, 2019, 9:27 am

Havilli is a better middle player than Lui.
Had a decent 2018 Lui, but hasn't been great for a while now.

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3153
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Billy Walker » November 4, 2019, 9:37 am

Beejay wrote:
November 4, 2019, 9:27 am
Havilli is a better middle player than Lui.
Had a decent 2018 Lui, but hasn't been great for a while now.
At times I wish both of them would trade their hands in for a stickier set of fingers but I’d be picking Lui ahead of Havilli.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23466
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Northern Raider » November 4, 2019, 9:52 am

GreenMachine wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:53 am
IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.
Beyond that, why mess around with a team that just came within a bee’s pube of winning a GF? Replacing a solid but unspectacular half with a Great Britain test player is good. Other than that you don’t want to spend too much time trying to fix something that’s not really broken.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
zim
Steve Walters
Posts: 7013
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by zim » November 4, 2019, 9:57 am

Havili being sometimes lazy at marker and lacking awareness when players drift across field is what keeps him out of my strongest side. He comes on for a short stint and still manages to not work hard from the inside. Guler, Young, Lui and Sutton all do that better than he does.
He's got a damaging run in him and a good offload but my strongest side is more defensively minded.

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6708
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by afgtnk » November 4, 2019, 11:23 am

Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 9:52 am
GreenMachine wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:53 am
IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.
Beyond that, why mess around with a team that just came within a bee’s pube of winning a GF? Replacing a solid but unspectacular half with a Great Britain test player is good. Other than that you don’t want to spend too much time trying to fix something that’s not really broken.
I think you've got to be constantly looking to improve the side wherever and whenever you can - especially when you're up top, when the natural inclination is not to do anything. Teams can often get complacent here and rest on their laurels.

That being said, a Tapine and Bateman switch makes no sense and would weaken us IMO.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23466
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Northern Raider » November 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

afgtnk wrote:
November 4, 2019, 11:23 am
Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 9:52 am
GreenMachine wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:53 am
IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.
Beyond that, why mess around with a team that just came within a bee’s pube of winning a GF? Replacing a solid but unspectacular half with a Great Britain test player is good. Other than that you don’t want to spend too much time trying to fix something that’s not really broken.
I think you've got to be constantly looking to improve the side wherever and whenever you can - especially when you're up top, when the natural inclination is not to do anything. Teams can often get complacent here and rest on their laurels.

That being said, a Tapine and Bateman switch makes no sense and would weaken us IMO.
Agree. You can't stand still or you get passed. But you don't shake things up just for the sake of it. We have a successful formula so improvements should be sought incrementally.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3153
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Billy Walker » November 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 12:19 pm
afgtnk wrote:
November 4, 2019, 11:23 am
Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 9:52 am
GreenMachine wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:53 am
IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.
Beyond that, why mess around with a team that just came within a bee’s pube of winning a GF? Replacing a solid but unspectacular half with a Great Britain test player is good. Other than that you don’t want to spend too much time trying to fix something that’s not really broken.
I think you've got to be constantly looking to improve the side wherever and whenever you can - especially when you're up top, when the natural inclination is not to do anything. Teams can often get complacent here and rest on their laurels.

That being said, a Tapine and Bateman switch makes no sense and would weaken us IMO.
Agree. You can't stand still or you get passed. But you don't shake things up just for the sake of it. We have a successful formula so improvements should be sought incrementally.
You’re both spot on. It makes any debates over players particularly controversial this year because anything you throw up is about finding an extra 2% in a particular position where the incumbent player is probably going very well. In bad years it’s easy to throw up examples of players struggling who need to be replaced and most won’t disagree but we have a team going very well that just needs tinkering and tuning to be a champion team. Havilli is a good example - he’s hardly struggling and most teams would jump at the chance to sign him. He does a great job but I think the 14 jumper could be an area we could get a little more impact from. I suspect many will disagree and I think that might be the way 2020 goes on the GH. I guess that’s our burden for supporting a really talented team!

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 769
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Raiders_Pat » November 4, 2019, 1:26 pm

The only reason why people would think that a Tapine/Bateman switch would weaken us is based off a myth on this forum that Tapine is a bad defender on the edge imo. The fact remains that Tapine has played his best games for us on the edge. Bateman is great in either position... so I'd say we'd have a net gain in playing Tapine in his preferred position, where he's proven to be a weapon in attack.

On Havili, as stated, I do agree that we could get more value out of the utility position. But until that player is unearthed, I think we're better served having Havili as a utility rather than carrying an extra middle. In this case, it's not about who is a better middle than Havili... it's about who provides more utility value.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 769
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Raiders_Pat » November 4, 2019, 1:37 pm

Playing Tapine at second row and having a bench of Havili, Young, Horsburgh and Guler, with Young to sub for Tapine at some stage, maximises our ability to play at a high intensity for most of the game. Both Bateman and Tapine can go hard as this set up would allow for both players to have a break at some point.

User avatar
zim
Steve Walters
Posts: 7013
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by zim » November 4, 2019, 2:28 pm

Raiders_Pat wrote:
November 4, 2019, 1:26 pm
The only reason why people would think that a Tapine/Bateman switch would weaken us is based off a myth on this forum that Tapine is a bad defender on the edge imo. The fact remains that Tapine has played his best games for us on the edge. Bateman is great in either position... so I'd say we'd have a net gain in playing Tapine in his preferred position, where he's proven to be a weapon in attack.

On Havili, as stated, I do agree that we could get more value out of the utility position. But until that player is unearthed, I think we're better served having Havili as a utility rather than carrying an extra middle. In this case, it's not about who is a better middle than Havili... it's about who provides more utility value.
Tapine is a worse defender on the edge than Bateman is. That's really all that matters if you want a defensive side. How he compares to the guys he's replacing. People seem to be getting too bogged down in absolutes.
He just isn't as good a lateral mover as Bateman and Whitehead are. Fantastic front on hitter, and he gets to exhibit that a lot more by being in the middle.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 4, 2019, 4:14 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
November 4, 2019, 9:52 am
GreenMachine wrote:
November 4, 2019, 8:53 am
IBG wrote:
November 1, 2019, 1:09 pm
Everyone saying that Tapine should be on the edge is forgetting one key factor - his lateral defence is poor compared to Bateman. Taps was caught out numerous times in 2018.

If we make this change, our right side defence will be:

Tapine - G Williams - Leilua

If that doesn't spell recipe for disaster then I don't know what does.

We are defensive minded team now. Let's not forget that. Leave Bateman on the edge.
100%.
I don't understand the obsession to mess around with Tapine and Bateman.
Both played in their best positions and shouldn't be changed.
Beyond that, why mess around with a team that just came within a bee’s pube of winning a GF? Replacing a solid but unspectacular half with a Great Britain test player is good. Other than that you don’t want to spend too much time trying to fix something that’s not really broken.
With Rapana gone and Simonsson likely to replace him in our starting 13, there is a real question about how you structure the bench.

I know there's an argument that you don't want to reshuffle half the lineup if you get an injury in the outside backs, but having guys like Bateman and Wighton in the team you can cover every position from 1-5 by having some coverage in the halves and back row. IMO Havili does that by directly covering the 9 position and allowing Hodgson to shift into halfback in an emergency, or when you need a bit more variety in attack. Bateman can slot into the centres if required, if you can cover him in the second row.

History shows me that the odds and risks of a winger going down during a game is far less than losing your only genuine dummy half. I'd much rather cover 9 than 2 and 5 on the bench.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 769
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Raiders_Pat » November 4, 2019, 4:43 pm

zim wrote:
November 4, 2019, 2:28 pm
Tapine is a worse defender on the edge than Bateman is. That's really all that matters if you want a defensive side. How he compares to the guys he's replacing. People seem to be getting too bogged down in absolutes.
He just isn't as good a lateral mover as Bateman and Whitehead are. Fantastic front on hitter, and he gets to exhibit that a lot more by being in the middle.
The thing is though, even if you believe Bateman's defence is better on the edge than Tapine's... I really don't think it's to the point where we'd be seeing all of our points leaked down that edge. As others have mentioned, our defence as a unit has improved. Poor defence can rarely be pinned down to individuals unless they're truly horrible defenders, such as Blake Austin. And to add to that, Bateman's edge defence is probably better than everybody in the team's... it's a bit of a null point to me.

Our biggest trouble this year against the top sides, and as we saw in the grand final, was finding some extra attacking strike and if we can find a way to improve that, which I think we would find by placing Tapine in his favoured position offensively, then I don't see why it's a terrible idea to give it a shot. The issues with his lateral movement on the edge are definitely overstated, either way. I'm always in favour of playing guys where we can get the maximum output out of them and Bateman is great in either position... Tapine is decent at one and great at the other, so why not play him where he can shine?

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19147
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by edwahu » November 4, 2019, 5:15 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
November 4, 2019, 4:14 pm
History shows me that the odds and risks of a winger going down during a game is far less than losing your only genuine dummy half. I'd much rather cover 9 than 2 and 5 on the bench.
I don't think that is right. If memory serves we lost wingers in at least 5 games this year. Charnze and BJ in a couple each as well including sin bins.

Hodgo came off in a couple if I recall.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 4, 2019, 5:39 pm

edwahu wrote:
November 4, 2019, 5:15 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
November 4, 2019, 4:14 pm
History shows me that the odds and risks of a winger going down during a game is far less than losing your only genuine dummy half. I'd much rather cover 9 than 2 and 5 on the bench.
I don't think that is right. If memory serves we lost wingers in at least 5 games this year. Charnze and BJ in a couple each as well including sin bins.

Hodgo came off in a couple if I recall.
Yep, this was quite a season for us to lose outside backs during games!

I still think I prefer a guy who adequately covers 9, 11, 12 and 13 on the bench, than an outside back.

It'd be a more interesting debate for me if we had a quality utility to slot on the bench instead of Havili, but I don't know who performs that role in our squad. I think having a guy like Oldfield on the bench is a waste.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19147
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by edwahu » November 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

Maybe Williams can play some hooker in a pinch. Seems he played some when he first came into first grade.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44315
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by The Nickman » November 4, 2019, 7:34 pm

I’m with Seiff on this, I think Havili is criminally underrated on this forum.

I actually would’ve played him in the finals once Lui started developing the yips.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7330
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by gergreg » November 4, 2019, 7:44 pm

The best bit of Havili's game is he rarely gets dominated when tackled. The bloke who gets the hitup after him always makes metres.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21998
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Seiffert82 » November 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

There's a lot of talk about theoretical options, but unless we have a Mark McLinden hiding somewhere in our squad, I'm taking Havili in the 14 over a guy like Oldfield.

This team isn't really lacking individual spark - especially with G Williams coming. If anything we lack structure.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26081
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Strongest 2020 line up

Post by Botman » November 5, 2019, 8:02 pm

Havilii is fantastic in the #14 role

I wouldnt pick him to start at hooker if Hodgson went down because that's not the role he's good at... if you have to do it mid game so be it, you make the best out of it

but to me, a guy who can play an impact role at hooker for 10-15 minutes but can also provide middle forward insurance is a HUGE positive. I got why Simo was our #14 last year, i didnt always agree with it, but i got the logic... with him slated to slot straight in for Raps, to me Havilii owns the #14. There maybe weeks where there is a chance against bad packs to dominate them up front and we rotate him to Mounties to get minutes in his legs... but that load management is whatever it is, when the whips start cracking, he's my #14
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

Post Reply