2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
2
17%
Raiders 1-12
7
58%
Draw
0
No votes
Roosters 1-12
1
8%
Roosters 13+
2
17%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126108
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by greeneyed » August 13, 2019, 10:12 am

This thread is now way off topic. The title is "Are we premiership contenders?"
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by The Rickman » August 13, 2019, 10:16 am

greeneyed wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:12 am
This thread is now way off topic. The title is "Are we premiership contenders?"
I feel like we'd probably be considered more premiership contenders if that Latrell Mitchell try had've been disallowed and we'd won, however I think they got the decision right in the end.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8150
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Woodgers » August 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Pig, your ability to spend the first few days of the week arguing a refereeing decision or play within an inch of its life is incredible. Surely you and Rick have a case of beer on who makes the most posts in 2019?
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

User avatar
GreenMachine
Gary Coyne
Posts: 112
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by GreenMachine » August 13, 2019, 11:04 am

The Rickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:05 am
GreenMachine wrote:
August 13, 2019, 9:56 am
I could live with it, if the on field ref made the same call as the video ref, but the fact that it was reversed on review tells me it wasn't a straight forward call.
Honestly, to me this is the most important part of the whole discussion and my biggest gripe about the video ref. The on-field ref called No-Try, the fact we're still debating it today means it's a 50/50 call, so it should have stood as a No Try.

Video refs should only overturn on CLEAR black and white decisions, if there's any grey whatsoever, GO WITH THE ON-FIELD REF. I can at least always cop that, and I can cop it a LOT more than the video seemingly overturning on a whim.
That's exactly what I mean.
It was 50/50 - clearly as demonstrated by all the debate around here.
In almost all cases this year, the video ref doesn't overturn. That's the bother.

Anyway, like you said, Laterall not scoring THAT try doesn't change how I feel about our team.

The win would have been nice for the confidence; put a muzzle on the constant noise about not beating a top 4 side (even though we have been 1 of those top 4 sides all year); and collect the 2 points needed to cement a top 4 spot.

Hazza
David Grant
Posts: 776
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Hazza » August 13, 2019, 11:38 am

Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » August 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.
I'm someone else!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Hazza
David Grant
Posts: 776
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Hazza » August 13, 2019, 11:43 am

I couldn't give a stuff about the not beating a top 4 side thing. With a bit more luck we could've beaten Easts twice this year. We lost 16-12 to Souths with about 7 blokes out. If we're playing them next week we win by 30, they're going like busteds now. We haven't been blown off the park on any of those games v the top 4. Sure, the storm and roosters are the standouts at present but we aren't far behind don't worry about that. It's what we do in the semis that matters. Definite contenders.

Hazza
David Grant
Posts: 776
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Hazza » August 13, 2019, 11:50 am

The Rickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:39 am
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.
I'm someone else!
Great minds son. That try assist scoop off the ground and cutout pass in 1 motion for Tupou was ridiculous, and the Keary bomb for Tupou was indefensible as well. Thats 12 points innit. There's sfa you can do about either of those tries. If it's gonna take pieces of play like that to beat us well... fair enough.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22594
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider » August 13, 2019, 12:04 pm

Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:50 am
The Rickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:39 am
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.
I'm someone else!
Great minds son. That try assist scoop off the ground and cutout pass in 1 motion for Tupou was ridiculous, and the Keary bomb for Tupou was indefensible as well. Thats 12 points innit. There's sfa you can do about either of those tries. If it's gonna take pieces of play like that to beat us well... fair enough.
One thing about the cut out pass for the try. It was a bit of a speculator and came off that time. Fairly sure he tried something similar a couple of other times and the ball went into touch. Looks brilliant when it works. Not so much when it doesn't. Comes back to risk vs reward.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22594
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider » August 13, 2019, 12:06 pm

Woodgers wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:49 am
Pig, your ability to spend the first few days of the week arguing a refereeing decision or play within an inch of its life is incredible. Surely you and Rick have a case of beer on who makes the most posts in 2019?
He's made an art form of it....and it often goes well beyond the first few days of the week. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Hazza
David Grant
Posts: 776
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Hazza » August 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
August 13, 2019, 12:04 pm
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:50 am
The Rickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:39 am
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.
I'm someone else!
Great minds son. That try assist scoop off the ground and cutout pass in 1 motion for Tupou was ridiculous, and the Keary bomb for Tupou was indefensible as well. Thats 12 points innit. There's sfa you can do about either of those tries. If it's gonna take pieces of play like that to beat us well... fair enough.
One thing about the cut out pass for the try. It was a bit of a speculator and came off that time. Fairly sure he tried something similar a couple of other times and the ball went into touch. Looks brilliant when it works. Not so much when it doesn't. Comes back to risk vs reward.
Well yeah, you're right. That's sort of my point though. If he can keep executing plays like that in the finals well we dip our hat. But there'll be days when it doesn't come off. Just little pieces of brilliance like that that's the difference at present. Bugger all in it apart from that. Thought we had them covered in the middle. They did have Taukeiaho out admittedly.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22594
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider » August 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 12:25 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
August 13, 2019, 12:04 pm
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:50 am
The Rickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:39 am
Hazza wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Agree with what someone else said, that Teddy was the difference. Reverse the fullbacks we win. Simple as that. And that's not having a go at CNK. He really does need to develop a passing game though. Was bugger all in that game, if anything I'm more confident we do something in the semis now then I was before the game.

On the Tupou try, I thought it was a try for sure, CNK wasn't impeded in any way, shape or form, if anything he jumps over Tupou. If that was us and they didn't give that I'd have been fuming.
I'm someone else!
Great minds son. That try assist scoop off the ground and cutout pass in 1 motion for Tupou was ridiculous, and the Keary bomb for Tupou was indefensible as well. Thats 12 points innit. There's sfa you can do about either of those tries. If it's gonna take pieces of play like that to beat us well... fair enough.
One thing about the cut out pass for the try. It was a bit of a speculator and came off that time. Fairly sure he tried something similar a couple of other times and the ball went into touch. Looks brilliant when it works. Not so much when it doesn't. Comes back to risk vs reward.
Well yeah, you're right. That's sort of my point though. If he can keep executing plays like that in the finals well we dip our hat. But there'll be days when it doesn't come off. Just little pieces of brilliance like that that's the difference at present. Bugger all in it apart from that. Thought we had them covered in the middle. They did have Taukeiaho out admittedly.
I was a bit disappointed in the latter part of the game that we stopped pounding them up the middle. It's what got us to the lead after being behind early and no reason to believe it wouldn't happen again late in the game. I felt there was a bit too much 'catch up' mentality in play, which wasn't that effective against a discipline Roosters defensive line.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8093
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Roger Kenworthy » August 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

PigRickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:07 am
GreenMachine wrote:
August 13, 2019, 9:56 am
In other sports (football and basketball for example) putting yourself in place under a flying opponent contesting a ball is a penalty). It's been the same all year with the NRL too.
Key point of difference, Tupou didnt place himself under CNK
CNK leaped from about 2 metres away and placed himself on top of Tupou. That's the key to this and it's why it was over turned.

CNK put himself into that position, not Tupou
100% this. Tupou made no play on CNK. CNK was late in attacking the ball and landed all over Tupou, whom the ball was otherwise going to land on. I don't understand how anyone could get a penalty to the Raiders from this.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25132
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by PigRickman » August 13, 2019, 12:40 pm

Woodgers wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:49 am
Pig, your ability to spend the first few days of the week arguing a refereeing decision or play within an inch of its life is incredible. Surely you and Rick have a case of beer on who makes the most posts in 2019?
It counts to my community service hours. My assigned officer believes this is vital work to help the the community overcome their paranoia and anxiety.
Latest figures suggest these are issues that plague 18% of the Canberra community!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33542

Hope this helps.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126108
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » August 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and John Bateman make the NRL.com team of the week! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

NRL Team of the Week: Round 21 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/11/cho ... -round-21/ via @NRL

Gallery: Around the ground: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... -roosters/
Image

User avatar
pickles
Jason Croker
Posts: 4690
Joined: November 18, 2007, 2:04 pm
Location: Callala Bay

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by pickles » August 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
August 13, 2019, 12:38 pm
PigRickman wrote:
August 13, 2019, 10:07 am
GreenMachine wrote:
August 13, 2019, 9:56 am
In other sports (football and basketball for example) putting yourself in place under a flying opponent contesting a ball is a penalty). It's been the same all year with the NRL too.
Key point of difference, Tupou didnt place himself under CNK
CNK leaped from about 2 metres away and placed himself on top of Tupou. That's the key to this and it's why it was over turned.

CNK put himself into that position, not Tupou
100% this. Tupou made no play on CNK. CNK was late in attacking the ball and landed all over Tupou, whom the ball was otherwise going to land on. I don't understand how anyone could get a penalty to the Raiders from this.
I don't think that because Tupou didn't attempt to tackle CNK that he didn't make a play at him. He put himself into a position to contest the ball but when he pulled out of that he made contact with CNK while he was in the air and this impacted his attempt at the catch. This is essentially what was ruled in the Storm try. That in not attempting to catch the ball but not allowing a fair attempt it was a penalty. CNK was moving towards the ball but so was Tupou so it's not as simple as who initiated the contact.

It is one of the most confusing rules in rugby league as has been demonstrated by the discussion around it. Ultimately these rules are about player safety but then only if the defender is catching the ball on the full and defenders not attackers. It's a dogs breakfast. I don't know what the answer is but I won't be at all surprised when there is more similar controversy over the next few weeks.

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3667
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ » August 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

It certainly opens up a Pandora’s box for the attacking team to now jump for the ball and at the very last second turn his back on the defender.

I thought the catching rules were designed to protect and benefit the defender, not to place responsibility on the defender to adjust how he catches the ball depending on how the attacker makes his play.

It’s these inconsistent video ref overrules of the live decision that creates so much confusion for fans.

User avatar
pickles
Jason Croker
Posts: 4690
Joined: November 18, 2007, 2:04 pm
Location: Callala Bay

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by pickles » August 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

If it is actually about safety then the question should be whether or not a player is put in a dangerous position and intent shouldn't come into it. It doesn't with a dangerous throw or a high tackle so contact with a player fielding a kick that puts them in a dangerous position should be the same. In reality the only time you should make contact with a player fielding a kick is if you are contesting it.

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19357
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Dr Zaius » August 15, 2019, 11:41 pm

-TW- wrote:
gangrenous wrote:It’s on Daniel Tupou not to be moving backwards under the landing point of the ball with no vision for what he’s doing.
He turned his back not to get a knee through his face..

What else is he meant to do?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Cop the knee to the face of course
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19357
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius » August 15, 2019, 11:55 pm

The commentators said that Tupou turned because of the sun in his eyes. I thought that mid-air he probably realised that he was no chance for the ball and that a knee was moving rapidly towards his face, so took measures to protect himself.

I had no problem with the actual decision I do have an issue with the bunker over turning a line ball on field decision. I also have a problem, if what people are suggesting is correct, going against the way similar situations have been ruled this year.

Once again however it seems that the NRL are trolling Raiders supporters. A decision is made, that isn't in our favour, and soon after the exact opposite decision is made in a similar incident. Young/Maguire. Cotric/JTurbo. Not sure if just bad luck, pure incompetence, or as GE suggests, unconscious bias.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2670
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by BadnMean » August 16, 2019, 12:11 am

Dr Zaius wrote:
August 15, 2019, 11:41 pm
-TW- wrote:
gangrenous wrote:It’s on Daniel Tupou not to be moving backwards under the landing point of the ball with no vision for what he’s doing.
He turned his back not to get a knee through his face..

What else is he meant to do?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Cop the knee to the face of course
Wouldn't be that bad. Charnze would fo sho visit him in hospital.

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6927
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » August 16, 2019, 7:38 am

Maybe to improve on this there could be better communication between the referees and bunker. At the moment the referee says something like 'I have no try, check contest and grounding'. Maybe they need to also describe to the bunker why they have no try.

This is the disconnect between the on field ref and bunker. If the referee were to referee strictly by the rulebook there would be a penalty every second tackle (more often if the Roosters and Storm are playing) so they show a little discretion. As soon as it goes to the bunker they revert to the rulebook. For example, the 'inside shoulder' rule. You see it several times a match but it's pretty rare for an on field ref to call it.

In some ways I kind of like what they do in NFL where the referee goes and looks at a replay on the sideline and makes the decision (unless they have changed this process in the NFL ?).

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22594
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider » August 16, 2019, 8:52 am

Reasonable point there gerg. A bit more communication from the onfield ref with the Bunker wouldn't go astray. No reason they can't have a two way conversation to help achieve the right outcome. It happens in Rugby Union to resonable effect.

Also this season it feels more like the Bunker is making a call from scratch and coming to their own conclusion. Really they should be viewing the footage for the purpose of support the live decision. If there's clear evidence to the contrary then overturn it. Othewise go with the original decision.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » August 16, 2019, 9:34 am

Northern Raider wrote:
August 16, 2019, 8:52 am
Reasonable point there gerg. A bit more communication from the onfield ref with the Bunker wouldn't go astray. No reason they can't have a two way conversation to help achieve the right outcome. It happens in Rugby Union to resonable effect.

Also this season it feels more like the Bunker is making a call from scratch and coming to their own conclusion. Really they should be viewing the footage for the purpose of support the live decision. If there's clear evidence to the contrary then overturn it. Othewise go with the original decision.
Yup, my biggest criticism with the whole process. The bunker shouldn't be looking to overturn the onfield ref unless they've CLEARLY got it wrong. Seems instead the bunker is just mainly calling it how he sees it and ignoring the onfield call.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3667
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ » August 16, 2019, 11:19 am

Interestingly last week the referee was taking Plenty of advice from Roosters players other than their captain.

Last time we played the Roosters, we were told only the captain at the toss could talk to the referee.

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7347
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by RedRaider » August 16, 2019, 2:40 pm

greeneyed wrote:
August 12, 2019, 11:11 am
RedRaider wrote:
August 12, 2019, 10:02 am
greeneyed wrote:
August 12, 2019, 7:11 am
That first try was caused by a player racing up and producing the ineffective tackle, but Jack Wighton was the player to do it... at least first. The left edge was already short men, and then the decision inside Croker left that edge even more exposed.
GE, from my position in Section 55 I had a perfect view of it. JC came up and in when he did not need to. It allowed Teddy to get on his outside. If he holds his line it does not create the gap on the outside. He is a special player Teddy with abundant pace. Holding a straight line is essential in defending him. Having a staggered line is simply asking for trouble and he gave it to us.
But the Raiders were done for numbers by then. No matter what Croker did, there would have been a try, because Wighton ran out of the line, and went inside and came up with an ineffective tackle.
Yep agree that Jack went up and in and did not stop the ball. Then JC did the orthodox center defensive play and went up and in but also did not stop the ball. Teddy went through the gap to JC's left. From a tactics point of view in future what was the correct defensive play in your view?

Is it to tell Jack 'don't get ahead of the line'? - he ended up in front of EW?
Is it to tell the winger, when the center goes up and in you follow him? Orthodox - This would produce a 2 man overlap in the same situation.

I am not looking to bag any player, much less a Raider fan with a different view. I am interested in what tactics you think would work should we find ourselves in the same situation and given that the orthodox response resulted in a Chooks try.

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6927
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » August 16, 2019, 5:16 pm

BJ wrote:Interestingly last week the referee was taking Plenty of advice from Roosters players other than their captain.

Last time we played the Roosters, we were told only the captain at the toss could talk to the referee.
In one of Annesleys recent addresses I'm sure he made the point that any player is able to talk to the referee, but it has to be at an appropriate point/time in the game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6927
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » August 16, 2019, 5:20 pm

The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
August 16, 2019, 8:52 am
Reasonable point there gerg. A bit more communication from the onfield ref with the Bunker wouldn't go astray. No reason they can't have a two way conversation to help achieve the right outcome. It happens in Rugby Union to resonable effect.

Also this season it feels more like the Bunker is making a call from scratch and coming to their own conclusion. Really they should be viewing the footage for the purpose of support the live decision. If there's clear evidence to the contrary then overturn it. Othewise go with the original decision.
Yup, my biggest criticism with the whole process. The bunker shouldn't be looking to overturn the onfield ref unless they've CLEARLY got it wrong. Seems instead the bunker is just mainly calling it how he sees it and ignoring the onfield call.
Agreed. I think better communication solves so many issues in general.

Pig has made the point previously that fans argue about decisions all of the time. Which is true. But it is only because of inconsistency in refereeing. Fans will base their opinion on how a decision has been adjudicated previously. The point I'm trying to make is that this isn't the fault of the fans. The NRL needs to fix it's grey areas and consistency.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » August 16, 2019, 6:20 pm

Honestly, any decision that people end up arguing over should have just gone with the onfield ref’s call, and I’d be perfectly fine with that. They’re clearly not black and white, so stick with the original ruling

I’m much happier saying to myself “it looks like he didn’t ground it, but you really can’t tell and the onfield ref called it a try so that’s fair enough” than “it looks like he didn’t ground, but I really can’t tell so why the **** has he overturned that??”
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3667
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ » August 16, 2019, 8:45 pm

The Rickman wrote:Honestly, any decision that people end up arguing over should have just gone with the onfield ref’s call, and I’d be perfectly fine with that. They’re clearly not black and white, so stick with the original ruling

I’m much happier saying to myself “it looks like he didn’t ground it, but you really can’t tell and the onfield ref called it a try so that’s fair enough” than “it looks like he didn’t ground, but I really can’t tell so why the **** has he overturned that??”
Yeah agree, I think sticking with the refs call unless it’s clearly wrong is a more acceptable position for fans.

Junior Paulo getting a ref awarded try overruled when we could see bits of grass falling off the ball was one of the classics.

Post Reply