Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by The Rickman » August 16, 2019, 12:22 pm

I feel like you two should agree to disagree here.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by PigRickman » August 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

The Rickman wrote:
August 16, 2019, 12:22 pm
I feel like you two should agree to disagree here.
I don’t agree to that

And seriously I don’t, it’s just not right or fair to say a person has taken a pay packet and wilfully not tried their best just because circumstances lead to performance that didn’t meet expectations.

CNK never showed this level ability at the warriors, is Beejay going to say he wasn’t trying for them? Wighton didn’t show this form in his first stint at 5/8. We gonna say he wasn’t trying then? Had D. Liu just improved as a footballer or was he just not trying previously?
What about Mitchell Pearce in origin? Great club player but never performed at the state level, was he just not trying?

I’d like to know the answers to these questions
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy » August 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

If Aidan has been deliberately kicking into opponents all these years in an attempt to mail it in then he is a genius.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » August 16, 2019, 1:18 pm

PigRickman wrote:
August 16, 2019, 12:20 pm
You'll have to search long and hard to find me accuse a player of collecting a pay cheque and not trying his best. I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.

That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete and i think you should have a little more than you own whims because you dont like him and the signing didnt work out.You can say the guy sucks, and that we should move on, or that he was never any good to begin with. That's all within the reasonable realms of your opinion, and ill go back and forth on you about that.

Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone were objectively dreadful footballers, who i never liked and panned regularly (and still do!) and i would never say they didnt try. They tried, and their best was found to be short of what we needed.

It's evidently clear that Aiden Sezer has absolutely tried his best to perform for this club. If his best wasnt good enough for you, that's fine.
But you dont get to say the guy hasnt tried to do his best unless you've got more than your own whim without me calling it **** Bull.
I reckon I've levelled that accusation (either directly or indirectly) towards three players in my time:
Bronson Harrison (post contract extension)
Craig Frawley (from day one)
Shannon Boyd (for most of his career, bar a short period at the end of 2016)

Sezer isn't anywhere near those three IMO. History shows me that he's a confidence player, which is hard for a halfback as his game isn't all about effort, it's more about creativity, touch and skill.

Sezer is a different player behind a forward pack going forward and when he gets good consistent ball from his dummy half. He's always been an above average defender for a half - which shows me his effort has always been there. It's his touch on short kicks and his running game that indicates to me whether he's in or out of form.

Raiders_Pat
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat » August 16, 2019, 1:46 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
August 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
PigRickman wrote:
You'll have to search long and hard to find me accuse a player of collecting a pay cheque and not trying his best. I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.

That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete and i think you should have a little more than you own whims because you dont like him and the signing didnt work out.You can say the guy sucks, and that we should move on, or that he was never any good to begin with. That's all within the reasonable realms of your opinion, and ill go back and forth on you about that.

Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone were objectively dreadful footballers, who i never liked and panned regularly (and still do!) and i would never say they didnt try. They tried, and their best was found to be short of what we needed.

It's evidently clear that Aiden Sezer has absolutely tried his best to perform for this club. If his best wasnt good enough for you, that's fine.
But you dont get to say the guy hasnt tried to do his best unless you've got more than your own whim without me calling it **** Bull.
I reckon I've levelled that accusation (either directly or indirectly) towards three players in my time:
Bronson Harrison (post contract extension)
Craig Frawley (from day one)
Shannon Boyd (for most of his career, bar a short period at the end of 2016)

Sezer isn't anywhere near those three IMO. History shows me that he's a confidence player, which is hard for a halfback as his game isn't all about effort, it's more about creativity, touch and skill.

Sezer is a different player behind a forward pack going forward and when he gets good consistent ball from his dummy half. He's always been an above average defender for a half - which shows me his effort has always been there. It's his touch on short kicks and his running game that indicates to me whether he's in or out of form.
This plus his confidence to call for the ball and direct some of the play.

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by Neeeegz » August 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
August 15, 2019, 10:18 pm
Lurker saying that sezer leaving is key to retaining rapana..

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Links are required, please.
Point 14. Sorry.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... c1eo8hw/12

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne

Post by afgtnk » August 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

It is well, well within the realms of possibility that Sezer has only tried to step it up when he's known his **** is on the line and he's on the way out. It happens in every single realm of professional sport and Plodzer is certainly not immune to that.

Funny, he did the exact same thing in 2015 - what an absolute coincidence :lol:
But of course, injury, forwards laying the platform, gelling, Blake Austin, planets hadn't yet alligned, etc. It'd be pure silliness to suggest anything otherwise.

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay » August 16, 2019, 4:31 pm

PigRickman wrote:
That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete
PigRickman wrote:
August 16, 2019, 12:33 pm
seriously I don’t, it’s just not right or fair to say a person has taken a pay packet and wilfully not tried their best
PigRickman wrote:
I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.
:lol:

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay » August 16, 2019, 4:38 pm

Look, i said he phoned it in. I didn't say he "Wilfully didn't try his best".

Both of those have different meanings, and it comes down to the intention.
I think you're taking too much offence to the 'phoning it in'.

His best year was 2015 (his last contract year at Titans) until the last 9 weeks. Make of that what you will.
I've had enough