Sunday 21 April 4:05pm
Gates open: 11:30am
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors 11:45am
NSW Cup: Mounties V New Zealand Warriors 1:50pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Early fog. Partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the early morning. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Min 11 Max 25

Round 5 2019. Canberra Raiders 19 - Parramatta Eels 0. Again it wasn't perfect. It was a bit ugly. But it was certainly impressive. For the second time in the opening five weeks, the Raiders have held their opposition to a duck egg. The Raiders now have the best defensive record in the competition, conceding an average of just nine points per match. It is the best opening to a season in defence since 1990, when the Raiders conceded just 32 points in the first five matches. It is only the third time in history that the Raiders have conceded less than 10 points per game in the opening five weeks (1990, 1995 and now 2019). It's the best win rate to open the season since 2005. The Raiders are third on the competition ladder.

More on Round 5: As I saw it

In Round 6, the Raiders are again at home and face an under pressure Brisbane Broncos on Easter Sunday. The Canberra Raiders have lost Joe Tapine (ankle ligaments), with JJ Collins replacing him on the bench - and making his NRL debut. There are no other changes to the top 17, with Sam Williams retaining his position as starting half.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has shifted Payne Haas from lock to prop, replacing an injured Matt Lodge (throat), while David Fifita comes in at lock. Gehamat Shibasaki has been included on the bench, while James Roberts was named as a reserve.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Aidan Sezer and Corey Horsburgh on Saturday afternoon, with Jack Murchie and Bailey Simonsson remaining in their 19 man squad. The Broncos cut Patrick Mago and Richie Kennar from their squad of 21, leaving former Raider Shaun Fensom and James Roberts on the extended bench. However, Roberts is expected to be a late inclusion in the top 17.

History: The Raiders have won 19 of 52 matches against the Brisbane Broncos, with one draw. That’s just a 37 per cent win rate. Canberra is on a six game losing streak against the Broncos and have won only two of the past 10 matches. The Raiders have only won 12 of 24 matches against Brisbane at Canberra Stadium, drawing one. The Raiders won the only other home match played between the clubs - at Seiffert Oval in 1989, in front of a record crowd of 18,272 people. The Raiders are on a three game losing streak against the Broncos in the nation's capital - and have not won at home (or away) since the 30-18 victory of 2013. The Raiders lost the only match the clubs played in 2018, 26-22, at Lang Park.

2018 Round 16: Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

Form: Raiders: WLWWW
Broncos: LWLLL

The Broncos have a 1 and 4 record to start the season, their worst start since the days of Ivan Henjak in 2010. They have fallen to the Storm, Dragons, Roosters and Tigers - losing to the team in black and gold, 22-16, in the final stages at Lang Park last week. The only victory is a 29-10 win over the Cowboys in Round 2.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.60 favourites in the match, with the Broncos paying $2.30. The Broncos have 4.0 points start in the line betting. The Raiders have firmed during the week, and the points spread has widened.

Stat attack: After five rounds, the Raiders are placed third and the Eels are placed 13th. The Raiders have a 4 and 1 record so far - the converse of the Broncos' start to the year. Canberra has won two of three games played at home, Brisbane has lost both of its away fixtures. The Raiders have won one of two matches against top eight teams, while the Broncos have lost all four games against top eight opponents.

The Raiders have a slightly better attacking record, averaging 19 points (3.2 tries) per match, compared with 17 (three tries) for the Broncos. As mentioned, the Raiders have a the best defence in the competition after five rounds, conceding an average of just 8.8 (1.6 tries) per match. The Broncos have conceded 23 points (four tries) on average.

The Raiders and Broncos have a similar average completion rate (74 per cent) and make a similar number of errors per game (Raiders 11, Broncos 12). The Broncos have been a little more disciplined than the Raiders, conceding five penalties on average per match, the Raiders seven. Canberra is very effectively controlling possession this season. The Raiders have averaged 55 per cent of the ball in 2019, the highest in the league, while the Broncos rank 15th, with a 47 per cent possession share.

Both teams average the same number of runs per game (174) and around the same running metres (Broncos 1583, Raiders 1561). The Raiders rank second for post contact metres (485 per match), the Broncos last (384). Canberra also ranks second for tackle breaks (38 per game), while the Broncos rank 10th (31). Canberra relies heavily on dummy half runs (97) ranking first in the competition (Broncos 55).

Both teams average nine offloads per match, and three line breaks per match. The Broncos get more kicking metres (608 from 21 kicks per match, Raiders 567 from 22).

According to Fox Sports Lab, Canberra has conceded the least running metres in the league (1203 per game) - while only the Bulldogs have conceded more than the Broncos (1571 per game). The Raiders have missed an average of 29 tackles per game, the Broncos 39 - with the Raiders having the better tackle efficiency rate (88 per cent, Broncos 85). The Broncos have made the most ineffective tackles in the competition (23 per game). Only two teams have made fewer ineffective tackles than Canberra (12 per game).

Our tip: Everything points to a Raiders win in this one. And that's when I usually start to worry. Every week, I keep saying that the next match will be a good test for the Raiders - and will show how far they have come since last season. I'll say it again this week. Will the Raiders show that they're the "real deal"?

The Raiders have a poor record against Brisbane. Back in the 1990s, the clubs were two of rugby league's "glamour" teams. Brisbane V Canberra was the Grand Final everyone wanted to see, but it just never happened. Even back in the "good old days", Brisbane always seemed to somehow come up with the win. In the years pre-dating the NRL, Canberra won just seven of 19 matches between the clubs. Since the formation of the NRL it hasn't got any better. The Raiders have won just 12 of 33 clashes. No wonder I'm worried.

The other reason to be worried is that the Broncos have had an intense few weeks, with public criticism of their performances from all sides, including a number of former Broncos "greats". New Broncos coach Anthony Seibold and his team must be feeling the pressure. And, often, that's when teams respond.

The Raiders can only keep on doing what they've been doing in this game. The mobile pack needs to stand up against the highly rated young Broncos forwards. The Raiders will need to keep up their good line speed in defence and close down the opportunities for the Broncos' halves. Former Raider Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima have been much criticised, but the Brisbane halves pairing can pull out brilliant plays when least expected. It would help the Raiders a lot if they could cut down some of the handling and kicking errors we've seen in recent weeks. Canberra has shown they can defend the errors, but it would certainly reduce the pressure they put on themselves. If the Raiders show no complacency - as they were often guilty of in the past two seasons - they should post the win. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Ricky Stuart on facing the Broncos: "I am going to assure you they'll be down here and at their best. I can sense it in the air nowh. They'll be here to play. They've been bashed around, knocked around personally and as a club and they are a strong club and they will bounce back and unfortunately it'll be against. So we're going to have to be better if we're going to beat the Broncos."

Jack Wighton on meeting former Raider Anthony Milford: "Milf is a freakish player. We're going to have to be on our game, he always plays good against us and brings his A-game. We know Milf and the Broncos are coming down here to do a job on us, so we're going to have to turn up and be ready for them. He is just a class player, all-round."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. JJ Collins

20. Jack Murchie
21. Bailey Simonsson

Injury/Suspension

Joe Tapine (Ankle) Round 15-17
Michael Oldfield (Groin) Round 7-8
Brad Abbey (Knee) Round 8-10

Brisbane Broncos

1. Darius Boyd (c)
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Jack Bird
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Payne Haas
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. David Fifita

14. Gehamat Shibasaki
15. Jaydn Su’A
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Patrick Carrigan

18. Shaun Fensom
20. James Roberts

Officials:

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Adam Cassidy
Sideline Officials: Michael Wise, Nick Morel
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersBroncos

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33333&p=1651477#p1651477
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm ready, let's get it on..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s finally game day!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

https://the-riotact.com/wild-horses-tha ... led/249873

I hope the Broncos read this headline!

Big day for both teams today- a good result and the Broncos are genuinely cemented as the worst team out of Brisbane since they entered the comp and we are getting close truly being the real deal in 2019.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Game day you EDITs!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We talk the talk

Can we walk the walk?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Finally game day!!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

If we are a genuine top 4 team, we should be be able to put an out of form Brisbane side to the sword today.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

This is the day we find out if we have actually changed our mental approach.

High pressure, high expectation match with a significant outcome - if we overcome our previous mental frailty and win, we lead the comp. If we have the slightest bit of complacency, we get done here.

A win today and I’m on the bandwagon.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Coastalraider wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:17 am This is the day we find out if we have actually changed our mental approach.

High pressure, high expectation match with a significant outcome - if we overcome our previous mental frailty and win, we lead the comp. If we have the slightest bit of complacency, we get done here.

Agree.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Hey reptar, can you let me know when game days Sunday is? Asking for a friend
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Only complacency can beat the Raiders today. Although I hail from Brissie, this is the game/s I look forward to every year for a Raider's win. Come on, get it done!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green Taipan wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:58 am Only complacency can beat the Raiders today. Although I hail from Brissie, this is the game/s I look forward to every year for a Raider's win. Come on, get it done!
Can't agree. If both teams bring their A game it would be a very tough game to win. Broncos are down on form and confidence but we cannot underestimate the quality of their squad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

a Ch9 game, cue the stupid haircuts

Sent from my SM-G973F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

pickles wrote:Hey reptar, can you let me know when game days Sunday is? Asking for a friend
no, hope this helps

Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

GAME DAY!!!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

pickles wrote:Hey reptar, can you let me know when game days Sunday is? Asking for a friend
I think it might be today, judging by some posts I've seen. 今日!
Last edited by reptar on April 21, 2019, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
no, hope this helps

It did help, very much! Thank you!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

reptar wrote:
I think it might be today, judging by some posts I've seem. 今日!
It can’t be today, team list Tuesday isn’t until Tuesday!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Sid wrote:
reptar wrote:
I think it might be today, judging by some posts I've seem. 今日!
It can’t be today, team list Tuesday isn’t until Tuesday!
It's not?! That's very confusing
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Coastalraider wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:17 am This is the day we find out if we have actually changed our mental approach.

Agree.
I agree, Bronco’s are completely out of form like the Panthers. We need to win strongly today as favorites

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So just to count our chickens before they hatch... If we win this by six we are equal first even on F/A with the Storm and Roosters, win it by 7+ we are outright 1st (again on F/A).

Been interesting watching our odds shorten for the premiership. We started the season at 26-1, down to 13-1 now which means the bookies have us locked in as 4th behind the Roosters, Storm, Rabbits (although the Dragons are on slightly shorter odds for a top 4 finish), all of whom we can "overtake" today on the ladder at least.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

reptar wrote:
I think it might be today, judging by some posts I've seen. 今日!
All these days are confusing, thankfully the internet is always here to help!
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Very excited and nervous for this game. I hope we keep it up and don't underestimate the Broncos. They have been going pretty **** so far, but they still have a very good team.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Surely we are no chance today...

... referees/NRL conspiracy won’t let us, right folks???
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

Did I just hear Horsburgh has been sent off at the 20min mark for Mounties!?
Is there anyone at the game that caught this and can fill us in on the details?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ultima wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:09 am So just to count our chickens before they hatch... If we win this by six we are equal first even on F/A with the Storm and Roosters, win it by 7+ we are outright 1st (again on F/A).

Been interesting watching our odds shorten for the premiership. We started the season at 26-1, down to 13-1 now which means the bookies have us locked in as 4th behind the Roosters, Storm, Rabbits (although the Dragons are on slightly shorter odds for a top 4 finish), all of whom we can "overtake" today on the ladder at least.
and if we win by 57 the Broncos are last on the ladder.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Ginga wrote:Did I just hear Horsburgh has been sent off at the 20min mark for Mounties!?
Is there anyone at the game that caught this and can fill us in on the details?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Check out the updates in the Pathways forum

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

James Roberts is at the ground and throwing a ball around. Looks like he’ll be a late inclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Can also see tapine here. In a boot but no crutches, seems to be walking quite comfortably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Horsburgh was sent off. Pulled off a big hit , was being congratulated by team mates and then muppet Badger (relegated from first grade) wandered in an sent him off. Players and spectators stunned.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Player he tackled did not even stay down injured.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and the Brisbane Broncos. The Raiders are 1-17. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman