2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-GD-
Don Furner
Posts: 22594
Joined: February 10, 2007, 10:58 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson
Location: ACT

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by -GD- » April 14, 2019, 10:05 pm

3 Papalii
2 Soliola
1 Wighton

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30556
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by -TW- » April 14, 2019, 10:05 pm

3 CNK
2 Sutton
1 Soliola

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6924
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by zim » April 14, 2019, 10:47 pm

3 CNK - Some really hard kicks to take and he had no errors. Stopped some tries. Dangerous when running.
2 Soliola - Really settled us down and was punishing in defense.
1 Papalii - Finally got us some points and laid a solid platform.

Looking at other voters the points are all over the place. Not really surprising. Depending on what you look for in performance there was plenty to like and dislike.
Wighton, Hodgo, Leilua could have all been high up on another night.

User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6152
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Rick » April 14, 2019, 11:09 pm

3- Papali
2- CNK
1- Wighton


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jaymroy75
Gerry De La Cruz
Posts: 3
Joined: March 29, 2019, 7:46 pm
Favourite Player: Crocker

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Jaymroy75 » April 14, 2019, 11:12 pm

3 CNK
2 Williams
1 Papa

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2842
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by BadnMean » April 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

zim wrote:
April 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
3 CNK - Some really hard kicks to take and he had no errors. Stopped some tries. Dangerous when running.
2 Soliola - Really settled us down and was punishing in defense.
1 Papalii - Finally got us some points and laid a solid platform.

Looking at other voters the points are all over the place. Not really surprising. Depending on what you look for in performance there was plenty to like and dislike.
Wighton, Hodgo, Leilua could have all been high up on another night.
Yeah CNK looked solid to me, not spectacular (which almost sums up the performance of the team).

I've seen Wighton in quite a few lists when it could easily be argued he had a bit of a stinker- penalties, drops, kicks out. But he's ever dangerous and energetic. I a way he's got a touch of the Reynolds about him, just a bigger, fitter faster, athletic version.

I'll need to watch again before I can vote. Sia was noticeably good. Tapine ill disciplined,

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 954
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Cranky Old Man » April 14, 2019, 11:35 pm

Allan Tongue on ABC radio gave Hodgson 3 points, I can't remember the order of his other two but Papa was onre of them, probably Croker the other.
In a very defensive gameplan I was also impressed with Bateman, Sutton and Wighton alongside the usual suspects.

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6924
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by zim » April 15, 2019, 12:02 am

BadnMean wrote:
April 14, 2019, 11:31 pm
zim wrote:
April 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
3 CNK - Some really hard kicks to take and he had no errors. Stopped some tries. Dangerous when running.
2 Soliola - Really settled us down and was punishing in defense.
1 Papalii - Finally got us some points and laid a solid platform.

Looking at other voters the points are all over the place. Not really surprising. Depending on what you look for in performance there was plenty to like and dislike.
Wighton, Hodgo, Leilua could have all been high up on another night.
Yeah CNK looked solid to me, not spectacular (which almost sums up the performance of the team).

I've seen Wighton in quite a few lists when it could easily be argued he had a bit of a stinker- penalties, drops, kicks out. But he's ever dangerous and energetic. I a way he's got a touch of the Reynolds about him, just a bigger, fitter faster, athletic version.

I'll need to watch again before I can vote. Sia was noticeably good. Tapine ill disciplined,
Wighton's so frustrating. If he could raise his footy IQ by a few points we'd have a golden ticket of a 5/8. No idea how he didn't score earlier after doing all the difficult work. Reads the overlap, makes the play with great athleticism yet somehow doesn't get the biscuits. Just such a Wighton play.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2842
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by BadnMean » April 15, 2019, 12:32 am

zim wrote:
April 15, 2019, 12:02 am
BadnMean wrote:
April 14, 2019, 11:31 pm
zim wrote:
April 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
3 CNK - Some really hard kicks to take and he had no errors. Stopped some tries. Dangerous when running.
2 Soliola - Really settled us down and was punishing in defense.
1 Papalii - Finally got us some points and laid a solid platform.

Looking at other voters the points are all over the place. Not really surprising. Depending on what you look for in performance there was plenty to like and dislike.
Wighton, Hodgo, Leilua could have all been high up on another night.
Yeah CNK looked solid to me, not spectacular (which almost sums up the performance of the team).

I've seen Wighton in quite a few lists when it could easily be argued he had a bit of a stinker- penalties, drops, kicks out. But he's ever dangerous and energetic. I a way he's got a touch of the Reynolds about him, just a bigger, fitter faster, athletic version.

I'll need to watch again before I can vote. Sia was noticeably good. Tapine ill disciplined,
Wighton's so frustrating. If he could raise his footy IQ by a few points we'd have a golden ticket of a 5/8. No idea how he didn't score earlier after doing all the difficult work. Reads the overlap, makes the play with great athleticism yet somehow doesn't get the biscuits. Just such a Wighton play.
I asked my mates at the time if they'd ever seen anyone get over the line and not score as often as Wighton :hmmm

twistedbydesign
Peter Jackson
Posts: 255
Joined: March 5, 2007, 2:16 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by twistedbydesign » April 15, 2019, 4:50 am

3 - CNK - we really have struck gold with this bloke
2 - Papa - our best player week in, week out
1 - Soliola - A crucial contribution, we were starting to get a bit frustrated and ragged when he came on and he really steadied the ship. His experience coming off the bench can't be undervalued.

User avatar
GreenGirl
Sam Backo
Posts: 176
Joined: May 20, 2017, 7:29 pm
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by GreenGirl » April 15, 2019, 6:19 am

3 - Papali
2 - CNK
1 - Croker

User avatar
Hairy
David Shillington
Posts: 36
Joined: July 4, 2016, 6:12 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Hairy » April 15, 2019, 6:59 am

3. Whitehead
2. Croker
1. CNK

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk


julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11523
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by julian87 » April 15, 2019, 7:09 am

3 Papalii
2 Leilua
1 CNK
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1865
Joined: September 2, 2007, 6:22 pm
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi
Location: Bay 69

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Sleek the Elite » April 15, 2019, 9:07 am

3- Papalii - I've said it before and will say it again. We're better when he's out there.
2 - Whitehead - These Pommies are tough. All of them are. The fact we have so many is transforming the side.
1 - Bateman - I'm unwilling to break my addiction to giving Bateman points. It's become a dependency. There are worse.

Honourable mentions to CNK, Lui and Ryan Sutton . I rarely give CNK points but it's worth mentioning that he's going well. Lui did his bit to get the party started. Ryan Sutton is finding his feet and is going to get a lot better.

Hodgson played well also.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.

User avatar
LimeGreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 399
Joined: January 5, 2019, 10:09 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by LimeGreenMachine » April 15, 2019, 9:23 am

This is tough. Our forwards laid the platform.

3- Paps
1- Sutton
1- Lui
1- Sia

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127318
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by greeneyed » April 15, 2019, 10:47 am

3 Josh Papalii
2 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
1 Josh Hodgson

I saw some people posting in the game day thread how Josh Hodgson was having a bad game... I can't see why myself.

Croker, Leilua, Bateman unlucky not to figure in the points.
Image

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 954
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Cranky Old Man » April 15, 2019, 10:59 am

I am with you,GE. I was astounded to come home and read the contemporaneous comments where one poster even wanted to "hook" Hodgson.
I am at a complete loss as to what such commentators are looking for when they judge players. I thought he was very good. And, when there is a very specific emphasis on defence, the efforts of Wighton in the space alongside the middle forwards is immense.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44081
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by The Rickman » April 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

zim wrote:
April 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
3 CNK - Some really hard kicks to take and he had no errors. Stopped some tries. Dangerous when running.
2 Soliola - Really settled us down and was punishing in defense.
1 Papalii - Finally got us some points and laid a solid platform.

Looking at other voters the points are all over the place. Not really surprising. Depending on what you look for in performance there was plenty to like and dislike.
Wighton, Hodgo, Leilua could have all been high up on another night.
Last week was the same, zim. Both weeks I've struggled to pick one standout player, let alone three!

Just shows me the whole team is playing well as a unit, and that's a good sign. Gone are the days of Fensom, Croker, Vaughan.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 338
Joined: March 26, 2012, 8:43 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Mullins_y2k » April 15, 2019, 1:28 pm

2 CNK
2 Whitehead
2 Soliola

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7131
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Sid » April 15, 2019, 2:41 pm

this is a tough one

3 Papalii
2 CNK
1 Sia
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3841
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by BJ » April 15, 2019, 3:13 pm

I didn’t give him any points. But once again Lui has remained error free, line break cause free and try cause free for the season so far.

He caught and held couple of tough crash balls under pressure last night.

He’s not flashy, but a good honest toiler with a low mistake rate is good for this Raiders team.

User avatar
1992
David Furner
Posts: 3039
Joined: April 24, 2011, 4:08 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by 1992 » April 15, 2019, 5:21 pm

3. CNK
2. Papa
1. Sia
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN

Hands-will-do-it
Terry Campese
Posts: 93
Joined: May 14, 2015, 11:42 pm
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Hands-will-do-it » April 15, 2019, 7:03 pm

3. CNK
2. Papalli
1. Sutton

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7231
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by gergreg » April 15, 2019, 7:55 pm

Just watched a replay and CNK had as close to a perfect game as is possible. Hodgson controlled the game and despite a few errors/penalties from Wighton, overall he was very good.
3 CNK
2 Hodgson
1 Wighton

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

Not_Easy_Being_Green
David Shillington
Posts: 43
Joined: March 3, 2015, 1:00 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green » April 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

twistedbydesign wrote:
April 15, 2019, 4:50 am
3 - CNK - we really have struck gold with this bloke
2 - Papa - our best player week in, week out
1 - Soliola - A crucial contribution, we were starting to get a bit frustrated and ragged when he came on and he really steadied the ship. His experience coming off the bench can't be undervalued.
Ditto in the 3,2,1s.

Super impressed by the teams defensive performance yesterday. Bet there were a few sore eels this morning.

Johno
David Furner
Posts: 3557
Joined: December 12, 2013, 9:28 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Johno » April 16, 2019, 10:19 am

2-Croker
2-CNK
1-Sia
1-Whitey

User avatar
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Posts: 410
Joined: June 27, 2014, 8:43 pm
Favourite Player: J Toots

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Supershamrock » April 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Not_Easy_Being_Green wrote:
April 15, 2019, 8:05 pm
twistedbydesign wrote:
April 15, 2019, 4:50 am
3 - CNK - we really have struck gold with this bloke
2 - Papa - our best player week in, week out
1 - Soliola - A crucial contribution, we were starting to get a bit frustrated and ragged when he came on and he really steadied the ship. His experience coming off the bench can't be undervalued.
Ditto in the 3,2,1s.

Super impressed by the teams defensive performance yesterday. Bet there were a few sore eels this morning.
Ditto on the 3, 2, and 1.

I've not seen us defensively monster a team like that for a very long time, every hit we put on was with intent (even Sam stopped a certain try).

Seeing it at the ground, I can only say I am even more impressed with Charnze! His defence and positioning was mighty, his takes of what were very high difficult balls was sound and his effort of running hard and dirty hit-ups was something I now understand needs to be seen live (in the flesh) to fully appreciate.

-GD-
Don Furner
Posts: 22594
Joined: February 10, 2007, 10:58 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson
Location: ACT

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by -GD- » April 17, 2019, 7:55 am

The following players have picked up points towards the 2019 Fan’s Choice Player of the Year award in our Round 5 win against the Eels.

Thank you to all that voted.

3 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2 - Josh Papalii
1 - Elliott Whitehead

Round 5 - Votes

140 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
121 - Josh Papalii
61 - Elliott Whitehead
28 - Sia Soliola
27 - Ryan Sutton
26 - Jarrod Croker
25 - John Bateman
24 - Josh Hodgson
18 - Jack Wighton
12 - Sam Williams
8- Joey Leilua
5 - Jordan Rapana
3 - Siliva Havili
2 - Dunamis Lui
1 - Nick Cotric

2019 Total Points

8 - John Bateman
8 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4 - Josh Papalii
4 - Elliott Whitehead
2 - Jordan Rapana
1 - Jarrod Croker
1 - Josh Hodgson
1 - Jack Wighton
1 - Joey Leilua

Post Reply