All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by PigRickman » April 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

Sorry i didnt really express that clearly
Im not saying we'd pay more of our 2nd year than we would our first by releasing him now, but i dont think we'd have any leverage what so ever to get his contract clean off our books for next year. No one is taking either of our halves and being like "yep, that's us for 2020!"
So we're very likely going to be paying freight in 2020.

If you can a deal that gets him clean for 2020 sure take it, but i dont see any reason why a club would give us that out. All i read here is that Aiden Sezer absolutely **** stinks, is a park footballer and even Sam Williams leaves him for dead... so pray tell why would any club want him on the books next year for 600k clean?

If George Williams is coming this year and you need the space, then by all means, re-home which ever half someone will take, and take the freight charges and move on.

Otherwise you're compromising a pretty good team this year by being a single injury away from Hingano time and achieving very little from it.

You release him now and it's a two year deal, where we're paying probably 50% if not more of his remaining money, so we'll shell out 600k to not have the player for 18 months... see it through this year, when you KNOW he's going to end up back in FG at some point because our other halfback is a loss on the back of poor defensive reads (which is likely coming)... then you move him in the off season, you can probably cut a 1/3rd deal because the club taking him on is only needing to commit to one year of him, and if it doesnt pan out, it's 1 year, 400k... that's fine risk to take for bad team who just throwing darts trying to lurch into a decent half

So you can pay 600k to not have the insurance for 6 months
Or you can pay 200-300k and you've lost nothing but have the insurance until George arrives.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

kona_dream
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream » April 16, 2019, 1:25 pm

We are 6 months into this years contract. Moving Sezer this year does bugger all for the value he provides.

Raiders_Pat
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat » April 16, 2019, 1:39 pm

kona_dream wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
We are 6 months into this years contract. Moving Sezer this year does bugger all for the value he provides.
The fact that Sezer is 6 months in to this year's contract has no bearing on whether we should keep him or release him...

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz » April 16, 2019, 1:58 pm

Releasing Sezer for no real reason other than "we could upgrade one or two players" makes zero sense.

BJ
David Furner

Post by BJ » April 16, 2019, 2:18 pm

Considering Sezer was pretty good in our opening win and played halfback during our second place finish in 2016, I wouldn’t be selling him of immediately.

I support Sam Williams holding his spot at the moment, he is playing well. But it’s not like Sam has been the key player in any of our last three wins.

Keep the powder dry for a few weeks and monitor the situation.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers » April 16, 2019, 2:20 pm

Yeah I see no value in releasing Sezer this season. This current period where Williams has his spot and they're winning games and he's watching the boys from the sideline is probably the biggest kick he's taken here at the Raiders and i'm hoping he is going above and beyond to get back in the side and will be better for it. Both of these guys will benefit from the competition.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider » April 16, 2019, 2:30 pm

BJ wrote:
April 16, 2019, 2:18 pm
Considering Sezer was pretty good in our opening win and played halfback during our second place finish in 2016, I wouldn’t be selling him of immediately.

I support Sam Williams holding his spot at the moment, he is playing well. But it’s not like Sam has been the key player in any of our last three wins.

Keep the powder dry for a few weeks and monitor the situation.
Sezer was good against Titans. Poor against Storm. The latter was by far the toughest opponent we've seen this season too. Hard to write him off for the season based on those 2 games alone.

Williams was good against the Knights. Poor against the Cowboys. Neither good nor bad vs Eels but he did his job so thats a pass mark. Its his next couple of games that will either solidify his starting spot or see him back in the Mounties again.

Either way its too early to be talking about releasing Sezer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

kona_dream
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream » April 16, 2019, 2:35 pm

Raiders_Pat wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:39 pm
kona_dream wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
The fact that Sezer is 6 months in to this year's contract has no bearing on whether we should keep him or release him...
I think it does. Looking at this this way. If his contract value is $600k pa we have already paid nearly $300k already. Even if we replace him in the next couple of weeks with a minimum wage player on $100k we only save $200,000 for the year. $300,000 for a player to play 2 games for the season, that's Matt Oford like :roflmao

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter » April 16, 2019, 6:51 pm

I don’t even know why we are talking about releasing our biggest name half, 5 games in. Crazy stuff. If we do that and happen to have an injury to Wighton and Williams at the same time, we have a halves combination of J.Bateman and Hingano. Now let’s move on from the subject.

BadnMean
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean » April 16, 2019, 10:23 pm

Peter wrote:
April 16, 2019, 6:51 pm
I don’t even know why we are talking about releasing our biggest name half, 5 games in. Crazy stuff. If we do that and happen to have an injury to Wighton and Williams at the same time, we have a halves combination of J.Bateman and Hingano. Now let’s move on from the subject.
Yes.

Let alone a CNK injury, or one of those suddenly hitting a ceiling & a limiting flaw being discovered...

(I'm still scarred from David Milne).

Sezer stays unless someone offers a better swap or G. Williams arrives.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » April 17, 2019, 12:12 am

Of course the club won't release either player unless George Williams comes here early. Hingano isn't anywhere near ready to play regular first grade IMO.

Hazza
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza » April 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Why would we release him? Sammy could do his acl next week. We need the depth. In saying that, I don't think Hingano is as bad as some on here make out, can't judge him until he has an extended run in his actual position.

Roger Kenworthy
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy » April 17, 2019, 9:16 am

Well we still have two months before June 30. I don't think anyone was proposing a release tomorrow but if Sezer hasn't done enough to reclaim his spot by then and you could find a buyer you'd be pretty mad not to look into it.

As mentioned earlier you would release him to a team in need to try and get as much of his 2020 deal off the books as possible.

Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest » April 17, 2019, 11:52 am

Agree Roger, assuming we have the space already to sign williams, that extra space may be enough to get TPJ

And I know it's a lot to fall our way but I feel our pack is 1 prop short n with TPJ in it here, man I would be frothing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk