Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:56 pm I reckon we’ll see Winds, but not DoS.

Also, I think Dany still burns King’s Landing and Jon probably still kills her, but I sincerely hope Arya DOESN’T kill the Night King

That doesn’t even make any sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But what if George R R Martin says it does? Because... he's the guy who dreamed this all up. I'm sort of fascinated by how people say... "that's not how it should happen!" And do so vehemently and with such passion. This should have happened... or that should have happened. It is just a book and a TV show... and George R R Martin told the TV show how it ends! So isn't that how it ends?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I read all the books thinking what would happen, what should happen and what could happen. Not of it happened. Thats why I enjoyed them so much. Totally unpredictable with more twists and turns than a spaghetti eating contest.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:49 am
PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:02 am It does seem weird that the north just seceded and not even Dorne is like “yeah we want in on that **** too”
Also, they seceded literally SECONDS after installing a Stark on the throne... why the hell was nobody else like, "Hey, what in the actual ****?"

What a poorly contrived and written absolute load of rubbish.
Yeah, that part had me crinkling the brow a bit. Its like "sorry but the North will only be ruled by a Stark and we will not bow to the Stark that you've placed on the throne."

Bran is the rightful lord of Winterfell and he's been given the keys to the 7 Kingdoms. The North should be basking in such a coup.
Yeah, this made no sense to me. And the fact that the other Lords just accepted it without question. And the Bron holds Highgarden thing. And the Bron is Master of Coin thing. And the Sam is a Maester thing. And the Unsullied are really pissed at Jon but didn't kill him and go on a rampage thing. And the Dothraki have gone from rampaging barbarians to loveable knock about town folk now that their queen has been brutally murdered, and why anyone gave a **** what Tyrion had to say, and why the unsullied actually listened to bran and let Jon free rather than telling him to get ****, and finally, why on earth is there a nights watch anymore. Is Jon the only member? Everyone else at castle black looked to be wildlings. Was it a token sentence?

It was a brilliant piece of television right up to the point where Drogon **** off with Danys corpse, presumably to eat it. After that it all went to ****.

The problem has been that the last two seasons should have been set over three full length seasons, allowing for character development and an explanation for what the **** is going on. The books would explain it, but they are never going to happen. That fat **** has his fingers in too many pies now and will cark it before another book is published.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I've not seen this much anger in a GH thread since Orford fumbled the ball from that scrum.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: It was a brilliant piece of television right up to the point where Drogon **** off with Danys corpse, presumably to eat it. After that it all went to ****.
Yep, that’s exactly how I saw it too. I was glued to the screen up until the point of Drogon **** off with Dany and then I spent the rest of the episode going “What the ****? Why the **** would he/she/they do that?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:56 pm I reckon we’ll see Winds, but not DoS.

Also, I think Dany still burns King’s Landing and Jon probably still kills her, but I sincerely hope Arya DOESN’T kill the Night King

That doesn’t even make any sense!

But what if George R R Martin says it does? Because... he's the guy who dreamed this all up. I'm sort of fascinated by how people say... "that's not how it should happen!" And do so vehemently and with such passion. This should have happened... or that should have happened. It is just a book and a TV show... and George R R Martin told the TV show how it ends! So isn't that how it ends?
Because a lot of what they put in the show doesn’t make sense within the context of the individual story arcs! Arya killing the Night King (who she’d never even HEARD of before Season 7, and just FYI doesn’t even EXIST in the books) is akin to Theon Greyjoy being the one to kill Cersei Lannister.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm good with Arya killing the NK. We all serve a purpose, that was hers. It was unexpected and simultaneously awesome. My favorite character.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Look, I'm happy with any twist or turn the story takes, provided it's well written and characters behave within their own personalities. What happened in Season 8 may be George's conclusions, but the way the writers got there was an absolute abomination.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, like I said, there's not even a Night King in the books yet, there's a "Night's King", but he's a COMPLETELY different character. There's no way there'll be a Night King and a Night's King, that's just silly.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:Is Jon the only member? Everyone else at castle black looked to be wildlings. Was it a token sentence?
It was totally a token sentence. I felt the way Tyrian said the “You will bear no children, have no title” speech was a bit “Blah blah, just a formality”. Plus Bran absolutely knew Tormund was up there ready and waiting to get the northern Blues Brothers band back together.

It was a total win/win. Unsullied thinks he’s up there doing hard time. Jon’s away from the people who got in his last nerve, and living with the only people who are truly free.

Loved this gif on Reddit of Jon’s reaction when heading into Castle Black, because it is spot on. Not sure how to share the gif on the app

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comme ... unishment/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:42 am
Dr Zaius wrote:Is Jon the only member? Everyone else at castle black looked to be wildlings. Was it a token sentence?
It was totally a token sentence. I felt the way Tyrian said the “You will bear no children, have no title” speech was a bit “Blah blah, just a formality”. Plus Bran absolutely knew Tormund was up there ready and waiting to get the northern Blues Brothers band back together.

It was a total win/win. Unsullied thinks he’s up there doing hard time. Jon’s away from the people who got in his last nerve, and living with the only people who are truly free.

Loved this gif on Reddit of Jon’s reaction when heading into Castle Black, because it is spot on. Not sure how to share the gif on the app

Haha! That's gold.

I also thought the "You will bear no children" punishment was particularly empty but necessary for everyone to have formalised. I can't see Jon wanting to willingly breed another Targaryen, mostly because he knows full well that they'd have half a chance turning mad like he's seen first hand. He's had to put an end to his Queen already, would be hard for him to have to do the same with his own child

Is he the last Targaryen or just the last one who was in line for the Throne?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think in the TV show we can assume King Robert did a pretty good job wiping the rest out. They make quite a big deal of his hatred for them and him sending assassins and Dany and her brother speak of leading a life looking over their shoulder and being the last of their line etc.

The books had one more floating around but otherwise the same deal, none but the main characters. This character doesn't appear in the TV shows.

It's the whole reason Ned kept John and threatened his relationship with his wife and his vaunted honour- all to keep John safe because he knew full well Robert would kill every last Targaryen and stated so many times.
Last edited by BadnMean on May 22, 2019, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Why did the Unsullied not just kill him anyway? Why wait for a council of people they don't care about to tell them what to do??

So many **** massive plotholes in that ending.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:24 pm I think in the TV show we can assume King Robert did a pretty good job wiping the rest out. They make quite a big deal of his hatred for them and him sending assassins and Dany and her brother speak of leading a life looking over their shoulder and being the last of their line etc.

The books had one more floating around but otherwise the same deal, none but the main characters. This character doesn't appear in the TV shows.

It's the whole reason Ned kept John and threatened his relationship with his wife and his vaunted honour- all to keep John safe because he knew full well Robert would kill every last Targaryen and stated so many times.
Yeah, and the one "floating around" (fAegon) is likely to be a Blackfyre anyway.

Essentially the only Targaryen blood left in the realm at the completion of GoT is Jon and Gendry (and Gendry has Robert's "Targaryen" blood, which Robert obviously had no problem with).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:24 pm

Why did the Unsullied not just kill him anyway? Why wait for a council of people they don't care about to tell them what to do??

Hmmm it's almost in keeping with the unsullied. They aren't exactly renowned for their initiative, simply for being obedient, loyal killing machines who show no fear. They always follow orders, that's their thing. No-one was giving them orders.

The idea is explored in a bit more detail in the series where Dany is over in slavers bay and Tyrion/the writers play around with how limited Grey Worm and the translator chick are in their thinking when they struggle to even have a normal conversation or joke- they are a bit institutionalised - so I could buy that bit. They don't think on their feet the same way others might.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:27 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:24 pm Why did the Unsullied not just kill him anyway? Why wait for a council of people they don't care about to tell them what to do??

Hmmm it's almost in keeping with the unsullied. They aren't exactly renowned for their initiative, simply for being obedient, loyal killing machines who show no fear. They always follow orders, that's their thing. No-one was giving them orders.

The idea is explored in a bit more detail in the series where Dany is over in slavers bay and Tyrion/the writers play around with how limited Grey Worm and the translator chick are in their thinking when they struggle to even have a normal conversation or joke- they are a bit institutionalised - so I could buy that bit. They don't think on their feet the same way others might.
Okay, that's a good explanation... I can almost buy that one.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Here's how it should play out... Jon kills Dany, confesses, and Grey Worm executes him in front of all his men and the Dothraki

Dothraki blood riders commit suicide as per their traditional norms, and the khalasar, now needing a new Khal and having just had the queen declare Wormy the Master of War, and now somewhat accustom to nontraditional Khals, gravitate to Grey Worm.

Now Jon is dead and Tyrion is still captive, but since his crime was minor treason and not regicide, he elects to use Tyrion as a bargining chip. There is nothing left for them here in this land, their queen is gone and they dont want to be settled in Westeros... a trade, enough ships for the unsullied and khalasar to sail back East and continue Dany's mission to free slaves, or they execute Tyrion and you can take this city over their dead bodies... boom, the unsullied get justice, get a logical exit, Tyrion gets a logical reason to survive and Jon gets a more logical conclusion.

(BTW, Davos offering up settlement for the unsullied is just insane... does he not understand what the unsullied are? Their house will last, what? 60 years and then they'll all die out haha. **** me, what a debacle)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:Here's how it should play out... Jon kills Dany, confesses, and Grey Worm executes him in front of all his men and the Dothraki

Dothraki blood riders commit suicide as per their traditional norms, and the khalasar, now needing a new Khal and having just had the queen declare Wormy the Master of War, and now somewhat accustom to nontraditional Khals, gravitate to Grey Worm.

Now Jon is dead and Tyrion is still captive, but since his crime was minor treason and not regicide, he elects to use Tyrion as a bargining chip. There is nothing left for them here in this land, their queen is gone and they dont want to be settled in Westeros... a trade, enough ships for the unsullied and khalasar to sail back East and continue Dany's mission to free slaves, or they execute Tyrion and you can take this city over their dead bodies... boom, the unsullied get justice, get a logical exit, Tyrion gets a logical reason to survive and Jon gets a more logical conclusion.

(BTW, Davos offering up settlement for the unsullied is just insane... does he not understand what the unsullied are? Their house will last, what? 60 years and then they'll all die out haha. **** me, what a debacle)
This works.

I have to ask myself why almost every fan rewriting of the ending makes more sense than the garbage they came up with though.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote:Here's how it should play out... Jon kills Dany, confesses, and Grey Worm executes him in front of all his men and the Dothraki

But George R R Martin wants Jon alive at the end.

He should live too. He always did the right thing and was one of the few basically good characters.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He murdered his queen. But only after he let her murder a city of people.
I dont think GRRM knows yet if Jon lives or dies in the book.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

That really could be a “happier ever after” moment for the show, it really doesn’t impact the final scenes much if he dies

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Who turned out to be Azor Ahai? Was it Arya?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote:I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

That really could be a “happier ever after” moment for the show, it really doesn’t impact the final scenes much if he dies

It would matter to me. I’d be up in arms like you mob if he died in the end! The best part of the end was his final scene.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:16 pm
The Rickman wrote:I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

It would matter to me. I’d be up in arms like you mob if he died in the end! The best part of the end was his final scene.

When he deserted from the Night's Watch??

And to be fair here, being the best part of the end of that episode is like being the best smelling fart.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:55 pm I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

Everyone else who served the lord of light (and granted Jon wasnt actively preaching he was a servant, but the LOL did bring him back!) died once they're purpose was filled. Jon living makes no **** sense unless it's that he sits the throne.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

and who has a better story than King Sco Mo The Nightwatchmen of House Liberals. The boy who **** himself in Engadine Macca's and lived.

AKA the One-Eyed Shark
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:22 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:55 pm I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

Everyone else who served the lord of light (and granted Jon wasnt actively preaching he was a servant, but the LOL did bring him back!) died once they're purpose was filled. Jon living makes no **** sense unless it's that he sits the throne.
My point exactly. Even Catlyn Stark when she was resurrected was at the expense of Beric Dondarrian, the magic got transferred from one to the other, although a lot of this stuff happened "off screen" from memory.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is NO **** chance GRRM ends it this way. No chance... maybe Bran sits the throne in the end, but this ending cant be what GRRM had in mind for these characters.

The only thing im sure of is that we get Mad Dany. The rest? Who **** knows.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote:Who turned out to be Azor Ahai? Was it Arya?

There’s this theory it was Jon
Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over.

Jon wanted to save the world from the dead. First, he united mankind against the White Walkers – Wildlings, the North, and Dany’s army. He plunged his army into the white walkers (ice a.k.a. water) hoping to bring light into the world. But the Long Night was not over. The world was not saved; a great threat still held the world in its clutches. So at the head of his new army, he drove South.

The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered.

Cersei, the lion. Jon drove the new army he had united straight into the heart of the Lannisters, but the world was not saved, for the peace Jon hoped to forge was shattered, as Dany prepared to usher in a new age of war and conquest. The Long Night was just beginning.

The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew beforehand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her living heart, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes. Her blood, soul, strength, and courage went into the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer. Following this sacrifice, Lightbringer was as warm as Nissa Nissa had been in life.

Devastated, Jon knew what he had to do. He drew close his lover and asked her to bear her heart to him, her love. Then in despair, he stabbed his sword into her breast. Dany inspired thousands, but was consumed by her own fire. Through all the inspiration that her blood, soul, strength and courage had poured into her conquest, her dream to break the wheel, he forged Lightbringer: the New Era of peace in the kingdom, freeing the world from the Long Night of war, death, and destruction.

Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust his sword through the belly of the beast its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks and its body burst into flame.”

Perhaps the Iron Throne was in fact the monster; it represented the Wheel. Power struggle, deception, conquest and destruction – the Iron Throne. And with Jon’s final thrust, and he caused Drogon to burn the Iron Throne - 1,000 Flaming Swords, melting it away, symbolic of the end of the old era. A new system of the kingdom choosing its ruler began, forging a new era of peace and prosperity - forging Lightbringer. And the darkness fled before him.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.

His story represents true heroism, total sacrifice for the greater good: giving up his family, his friends, his lovers, his own life, his claim to the throne, and his only reward was exile. Jon was the true Prince that was Promised, the rightful heir to the throne, but he could not be King. But in his sacrifice, he united the world in the war for the dawn, saving mankind from the Long Night of destruction by Ice or by Fire. Jon Snow is Azor Ahai.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:33 pm There is NO **** chance GRRM ends it this way. No chance... maybe Bran sits the throne in the end, but this ending cant be what GRRM had in mind for these characters.

The only thing im sure of is that we get Mad Dany. The rest? Who **** knows.
I suspect Bran sits the throne at the end too, but not this way. He'll have clear motivation and it'll be tied heavily to Bloodraven and the Children of the Forest.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:38 pm
The Rickman wrote:Who turned out to be Azor Ahai? Was it Arya?

There’s this theory it was Jon
Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over.

Jon wanted to save the world from the dead. First, he united mankind against the White Walkers – Wildlings, the North, and Dany’s army. He plunged his army into the white walkers (ice a.k.a. water) hoping to bring light into the world. But the Long Night was not over. The world was not saved; a great threat still held the world in its clutches. So at the head of his new army, he drove South.

The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered.

Cersei, the lion. Jon drove the new army he had united straight into the heart of the Lannisters, but the world was not saved, for the peace Jon hoped to forge was shattered, as Dany prepared to usher in a new age of war and conquest. The Long Night was just beginning.

The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew beforehand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her living heart, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes. Her blood, soul, strength, and courage went into the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer. Following this sacrifice, Lightbringer was as warm as Nissa Nissa had been in life.

Devastated, Jon knew what he had to do. He drew close his lover and asked her to bear her heart to him, her love. Then in despair, he stabbed his sword into her breast. Dany inspired thousands, but was consumed by her own fire. Through all the inspiration that her blood, soul, strength and courage had poured into her conquest, her dream to break the wheel, he forged Lightbringer: the New Era of peace in the kingdom, freeing the world from the Long Night of war, death, and destruction.

Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust his sword through the belly of the beast its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks and its body burst into flame.”

Perhaps the Iron Throne was in fact the monster; it represented the Wheel. Power struggle, deception, conquest and destruction – the Iron Throne. And with Jon’s final thrust, and he caused Drogon to burn the Iron Throne - 1,000 Flaming Swords, melting it away, symbolic of the end of the old era. A new system of the kingdom choosing its ruler began, forging a new era of peace and prosperity - forging Lightbringer. And the darkness fled before him.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.

His story represents true heroism, total sacrifice for the greater good: giving up his family, his friends, his lovers, his own life, his claim to the throne, and his only reward was exile. Jon was the true Prince that was Promised, the rightful heir to the throne, but he could not be King. But in his sacrifice, he united the world in the war for the dawn, saving mankind from the Long Night of destruction by Ice or by Fire. Jon Snow is Azor Ahai.
That's all well and good, but unless they **** explain that in the show (which they didn't), it's just a theory!

You can't explain away bad writing by saying things which didn't happen on-screen were the explanation!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that wont shock me, as you say there is a path to get there once the Long Winter has been dealt with, but it also wont shock me if Bran ends up just being the 3ER, and that's his calling/destiny.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:44 pm Yeah that wont shock me, as you say there is a path to get there once the Long Winter has been dealt with, but it also wont shock me if Bran ends up just being the 3ER, and that's his calling/destiny.
Be nice to know what the 3-eyed raven's actual purpose/destiny IS though, and how Brynden Rivers got there in the first place! He went from Hand of the King to Lord Commander of the Night's Watch to... magical tree that can see everything. Why??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:49 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:44 pm Yeah that wont shock me, as you say there is a path to get there once the Long Winter has been dealt with, but it also wont shock me if Bran ends up just being the 3ER, and that's his calling/destiny.
Be nice to know what the 3-eyed raven's actual purpose/destiny IS though, and how Brynden Rivers got there in the first place! He went from Hand of the King to Lord Commander of the Night's Watch to... magical tree that can see everything. Why??
Yeah i think the answers to those questions will help guide where Bran's arc ends in the books. GRRM has a bit to do in these books! haha
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I did see in an interview once that the Winds of Winter takes us "far further north of the wall than we've ever been before", so that's exciting too.