From the Viking Vault

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Croker courage

Life post Daley, Furner and Mullins wasn't meant to be easy, and for the Canberra Raiders in season 2001, it wasn't. In Round 17 the Sydney Roosters - who were then placed in the top three - visited the nation’s capital. The Raiders were struggling in 11th place on the ladder. By the end of the day, the Raiders had produced one their most courageous victories.

The Raiders trailed at half time by 10 points, 22-10. There were no players left on the bench for the majority of the second half, the squad struck down by injury. The Raiders had lost Mark McLinden (suspected broken jaw), Ken Nagas (suspected broken leg) and Ruben Wiki (concussion, neck) by half time. At the 45th minute, Sean Rutgerson left the field with a knee injury. Whoever was left had to stay on the field.

Jason Croker did just that. Incredibly, he played the entire second half with a torn cruciate ligament in one knee and an ankle ligament strain in his other leg.

"I just knew I didn't want to let my mates or the club down," he said later. "I got a call from the coaches and they said we had no one left on the bench so I sort of said to myself, 'right, I'm going to have to stick this out' I don't know if it was brave or just stupid."

The 13 Raiders went on to score 22 unanswered points in the second half. Finch scored in the 47th minute, before tries to Odell Manuel and Clinton Schifcofske tries gave the Green Machine the lead. A try to Darren Mapp with four minutes remaining sealed the famous victory.

"I think everyone associated with the club is very proud of the way the players played today. You shook your head in awe at what they did. It was a magnificent effort," outgoing coach Mal Meninga said after the match.

Croker required a knee reconstruction and was awarded the John Sattler Trophy for courage. Incoming coach Matt Elliott was assistant coach that year. "Words fail me to be honest," he said. "It was one of those things that you see that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck."

2000 Round 17 - Canberra Raiders 32 (Clinton Schifcofske 2, B Finch, Odell Manuel, Darren Mapp, Ken Nagas tries, Clinton Schifcofske 4 goals) defeated Sydney Roosters 22 (Micheal Crocker, Shannon Hegarty, Matt Sing, Craig Wing tries, Craig Fitzgibbon 3 goals)

Canberra Raiders: 1. Clinton Schifcofske 2. Odell Manuel 3. Ken Nagas 14. Brad Kelly 5. Greg Wolfgramm 6. Mark McLinden 7. B Finch 8. Sean Rutgerson 9. Simon Woolford 10. Ryan O'Hara 11. Ruben Wiki 12. Alan Tongue 13. Jason Croker

15. Darren Mapp 16. Terry Martin 17. Darren Porter 18. Michael Monaghan

Coach Mal Meninga

Crowd: 9,825

greeneyed
Don Furner

From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 8, 2019, 10:38 am

They came but we conquered - Record Seiffert crowd

The Brisbane Broncos entered the NSWRL competition in 1988 and the Raiders had disposed of the star studded outfit, 36-16 in their first ever clash - played at Lang Park.

But in their next contest, the Broncos knocked the the Green Machine out of the 1989 pre season Panasonic Cup, with Brisbane posting an 18-13 victory at Parkes. The Broncos went on to take out the pre season Cup final that year.

The Broncos made their first visit to Seiffert Sports Ground in June 1989. Both teams were in the top four - the Broncos running second on the ladder, the Raiders in fourth. Canberra had produced a seven game winning streak between Rounds 3 and 9, but had faltered in the following two rounds, with losses to Newcastle and Penrith.

The fans' expectations of the clash were still high, with both teams littered with Origin stars. The rivalry between the clubs was also fueled by the defection of coach Wayne Bennett, along with Sam Backo and Peter Jackson, from the Raiders to the Broncos. As the match loomed, Bennett was openly seeking to poach half Kevin Walters from Canberra.

On the Wednesday night prior to the Round 12 match, Queensland wrapped up the State of Origin series, with a 16-12 victory over New South Wales. But the tough clash left new Raiders captain Mal Meninga with a badly swollen eye and cheek and a fractured sinus wall - after being punched in the face by Blues forward Peter Kelly. The Raiders toyed with playing him on the wing in the Broncos match, but he was unable to take the field. Laurie Daley also damaged ligaments in his right ankle, putting him in serious doubt - but after anti inflamatories and plenty of ice, he was cleared to play at the final training session. The Broncos were also injury affected, with Allan Langer breaking his left ankle in Origin II - and with Gary French brought in at half.

In the week of the game, the ACT Government decided to provide a $2.8 million grant and a $2.5 million loan for the $6.5 million redevelopment of Bruce Stadium - clearing the way for the Raiders to move their home base from Queanbeyan to Canberra in 1990. The Broncos first visit to Seiffert would also be their last. A record Seiffert crowd of 18,272 turned out on a cold Sunday afternoon.

The thrilling game fully lived up to expectations. The Raiders' pack, criticised for their performances against the Knights and Panthers, were intent on smashing the big name Broncos forwards into submission. Props Glenn Lazarus and Brent Todd led the way up front, along with Gary Coyne and Brad Clyde, who were both backing up from Origin. Clyde, just 19 years of age, scored two tries, including a solo effort from near half way. He shifted to centre in the second half when Laurie Daley left the field, and didn't miss a beat.

Hooker Steve Walters, overlooked for Origin, was outstanding, finishing on top of his brother Kerrod, who had been given the Queensland No. 9 jersey. Halves Ricky Stuart and Chris O'Sullivan outplayed the Broncos' pair, with O'Sullivan keeping Wally Lewis quiet, before "The King" left the field in the second half.

The Raiders' first try came in just the first few minutes, when Lazarus broke two tacklers, and Todd and Walters set up Craig Dimond for a try under the posts. The strong start continued in the 22nd minute with the first of Clyde's tries. Ricky Stuart regathered his own grubber, which had rebounded off a Broncos player, and he then threw a trademark wide pass to Ivan Henjak to set the try in motion. The Broncos scored through Terry Matterson eight minutes before the break, but a Ricky Stuart field goal gave Canberra a 13-6 lead at half time.

Just two minutes into the second half, the Raiders won a scrum on their own line - with Ricky Stuart then making a 70 metre break, before passing to Gary Belcher for a stunning try under the posts. Remarkably, Laurie Daley missed the conversion from in front. Canberra was in again five minutes later, with a Steve Walters break setting up Clyde. The conversion was again missed from in front, this time by Ricky Stuart, but Canberra was well on the way to victory. John Ferguson got his own four pointer in the 57th minute, when Joe Kilroy could not handle the ball in the Broncos' own in goal - and Stuart converted from the sideline. The Raiders kept up the pressure in the final 20 minutes, with a couple of try scoring opportunities not coming off.

It was a comprehensive 27-6 victory, a portent for what was to come that season. The headline in The Canberra Times the next day screamed: "They came but we conquered".

Glenn Lazarus was understandably pleased with the performance of the pack - and his own performance.

"I am available for selection, just tell them that," Lazarus said, after he was overlooked by the Blues for Origin II.

Tim Sheens was also very happy with his forward pack.

"The forwards came back to form today, it is the old adage once again that it is the forwards who win you the games," he said after the match.

1989 Round 12 - Canberra Raiders 27 (B. Clyde 2, G. Belcher, C. Dimond, J. Ferguson tries; G. Belcher 2, R. Stuart goals; R. Stuart field goal) defeated Brisbane Broncos 6 (T. Matterson try; T. Matterson goal) at Seiffert Oval
Half time: Canberra Raiders 13 Brisbane Broncos 6

Canberra Raiders: 1. Gary Belcher (C) 2. John Ferguson 3. Laurie Daley 4. Ivan Henjak 5. Phil Carey 6. Chris O'Sullivan 7. Ricky Stuart 8. Glenn Lazarus 9. Steve Walters 10. Brent Todd 11. Gary Coyne 12. Craig Dimond 13. Bradley Clyde

14. Craig Bellamy 15. Kevin Walters 16. Ashley Gilbert 17. Mark Bell

Coach Tim Sheens

Crowd: 18,272

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 9, 2019, 7:40 am

Against the odds comeback

2013. It was the year of the drugs in sport report, the year of pineapple cruisers, walkouts, contract wrangling and sackings. But there were still some great days on the field. April the 7th was such a day. Round 5 at Canberra Stadium.

The Roosters - the eventual premiers - led 16-0 at half time. They were hoping to become the first team since 1919 to hold their opponents to nil three weeks in a row in this match at Canberra Stadium. But Edrick Lee scored in the corner five minutes into the second half, and it was quickly followed by another try to Sam Williams, narrowing the gap to 16-12. The Roosters kicked away with a try to Anthony Minichello - but Canberra still had something left to prove. Sandor Earl scored from a bomb, and with just four minutes left, a Jarrod Croker try levelled the scores. His conversion secured a 24-22 victory. "When you do the kicking as a kid, they're the moments you dream of. That's what dreams are made of," Croker said after the match.

2013 Round 5 - Canberra Raiders 24 (J. Croker, S. Earl, E. Lee, S. Williams tries; J. Croker 4 goals) defeated Sydney Roosters 22 (M. Aubusson, J. Maloney, A. Minichiello, M. Oldfield tries; J. Maloney 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 1. Reece Robinson 2. Sandor Earl 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Jack Wighton 5. Edrick Lee 6. Josh McCrone 7. Sam Williams 8. David Shillington (C) 9. Matt McIlwrick 10. Brett White 11. Josh Papalii 12. Joel Edwards 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Dane Tilse 15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs 16. Anthony Milford 17. Joe Picker

Coach David Furner

Crowd: 10,969

Mr. Snrub
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub » January 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

greeneyed wrote:
December 21, 2018, 8:58 am
Nine try romp against the Sharks

The Canberra Raiders headed into the Round 5 clash of 1993 with the Cronulla Sharks with a 2-2 record, and a goal of getting their defence in order. And so they did on that Easter Sunday, with the Raiders conceding just one try to the Sharks, while piling on nine of their own. The onslaught started in the 10th minute, with the first of two Sean Hoppe tries, and the Raiders didn't ever let up.

A new star emerged for Canberra - "Flying Fijian" winger Noa Nadruku - and the 13,000 strong crowd were chanting "Noa, Noa" before the end of the match. He scored two sizzling tries in his home game debut and was involved heavily in a number of others.

"This game is too fast. In union you have the scrum and you break. Not here, it's all go," the rugby union convert said after the match. "I've always had the step, the only thing I can learn here is the pace."

Nadruku had made his debut in green against the Broncos in Brisbane in Round 4, and comparisons were immediately drawn to legendary Raiders winger John Ferguson.

"It's nice to have a player who, when you give him the ball, you know there is a pretty good chance of him scoring. Like Chicka," captain Mal Meninga said.

Coach Tim Sheens, too, was happy with the performance of his new winger.

"One-on-one, or even two-on-one, he is going to have you in trouble every time," Sheens said. "I like to think he has chosen the right team to play with because our style of play certainly suits having him on the wing."

Nadruku was not the best player on field, however. That honour belonged to hooker Steve Walters, while Quentin Pongia and John Lomax dominated up front.

Cronulla coach Arthur Beetson was left searching for answers.

"Shell-shocked," Beetson said. "That's what I am, shell-shocked. They are a very talented side. They are a tough side for anyone to beat, but today they just came out and bombed us. In our last few games we have been competing for the first 60 or 70 minutes but today they had us out of it in 10 minutes. All we can do now is regroup. It's a long way home."

The 40 point victory was, to that point, the Raiders biggest ever against the Sharks - but it was a record that stood for just one season.

1993 Round 5 - Canberra Raiders 46 (S. Hoppe 2, N. Nadruku 2, G. Belcher, L. Daley, M. Meninga, Q. Pongia, S. Walters tries; D. Furner 4, J. Lomax goals) defeated Cronulla 6 (A. Ettingshausen try; M. Healey goal) at Bruce Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 1. Gary Belcher 2. Noa Nadruku 3. Mal Meninga 4. Brett Mullins 5. Sean Hoppe 6. Laurie Daley 7. Ricky Stuart 8. Paul Osborne 9. Steve Walters 10. John Lomax 11. David Furner 12. Quentin Pongia 13. Jason Croker

14. David Boyle 15. Mark Lowry 16. Steve Stone 17. Darren Fritz

Coach Tim Sheens

Crowd: 13,837
I have this game on VHS

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

Do you still have a VHS player?

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar » January 9, 2019, 4:10 pm

I do. Found it the other day when going through my storage unit.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

Mr. Snrub
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub » January 10, 2019, 12:37 pm

greeneyed wrote:
January 9, 2019, 1:58 pm
I don't! The tape is at my parents' house in Canberra. Last time I was there I was trying to find a VHS player to buy, but they're really hard to find. I've got a lot of Raiders games on VHS from 1989 to about 2003. Once I get my hands on a VHS player and when I'm in Canberra next, I'll try and see if I convert them to a digital format and chuck them onto youtube. I even have the 1994 Grand Final with ABC commentary.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

Amazing club championship

The Raiders achieved a clean sweep in 1990, winning the minor premiership in all three grades, firsts, reserves and President's Cup. It was the club's first club championship - and with the discontinuation of the NYC in 2017, and the club championship, it is likely to be the last. The Green Machine featured in every match on Grand Final day and came very close to a clean sweep of premierships - winning in first grade and President's Cup, but controversially lost to the Broncos in reserve grade in extra time.

The Under 21s decider featured a number of future big names for the Green Machine, including Brett Mullins, Jason Croker and David Boyle. Mullins played at centre, and would go on to become one of Canberra's greatest fullbacks. Croker played on the wing and would eventually become the Raiders' most capped player, in a career where he mostly featured in the forwards.

Despite the Raiders finishing as minor premiers, the Dragons were favourites in the match. The Raiders trailed 6-0 at half time, after St George half Troy Hodges scored a try in the 18th minute. But the Raiders broke the Dragons line out wide twice, with tries to Jason Death and David Boyle helping to push Canberra to a 15-6 lead. The final stages were frantic after Dragons second rower Jeremy Donougher scored with six minutes remaining. However, the Raiders managed to hold the Dragons out, with a second field goal to Jason Gregory securing a 16-12 victory.

"Matt Baker and I pledged to each other that we would win it this time," Gregory said after the match.

He and Baker had been two of the best performers in the Presidents Cup Grand Final loss to the Rabbitohs in 1989.

"That was the main psyche-up for us before the match, we didn't want to lose like last year. At half-time we were still confident. We knew all we had to do was control the ball. To their credit they came back at us strongly at the end and made us work but there was no way we were going to let this one slip."

Coach Mick Doyle said the game plan had been to attack the Dragons out wide, and centres David Boyle and Brett Mullins were outstanding. Mullins played despite the fact he not fully fit, due to a gash to his stomach. Lock Jason Death and prop Darren Fritz starred in the forwards.

"Fritz has played his best two games in the two years he has been here in the last two weeks," Doyle said.

The Reserve Grade Grand Final went to extra time - delaying the first grade decider. The Panthers felt it unsettled their young team - and Penrith coach Phil Gould later claimed they were "owed an apology" by the league.

The score was tied at 6 apiece in the reserves at full time. Canberra was only three minutes away from winning the game in regulation time before a Craig Teevan penalty goal levelled the scores.

"That silly penalty cost us, no risk," Raiders hooker Wayne Collins said after the match.

The Broncos led 4-2 at half time, and they thought they had scored a second try when Steve Renouf attempted to dive over from dummy half. However, a knock on was correctly ruled.

An outstanding try to winger Chris Kinna put the Raiders into the lead in the 55th minute 6-4 - but Mark Bell could not convert from the sideline. Kinna had put in a chip ahead for himself, regathering and scoring in the corner. Biased Brisbane television commentators, including Wally Lewis, claimed it was a double movement - but the touch judge correctly advised referee Greg McCallum that Kinna had not been effectively held in the attempted tackle.

The Broncos scored a controversial try six minutes into extra time, when Brisbane captain Ray Herring kicked at the ball in the ruck as fullback Paul Beath attempted to play it just a few metres from Canberra's own line. Herring was not standing square at the ruck, and many Raiders fans thought it should have been a penalty to Canberra. The kick rebounded off Canberra lock David Barnhill, on to the goal post and then back into the hands Herring, who scored under the posts. Canberra fought back, nearly going over through Kinna and then Ashley Gilbert. A Broncos penalty goal two minutes from time sealed the 14-6 Brisbane win.

It slightly soured the afternoon for Raiders fans. However, better things were to still to come that day, when the Canberra firsts went back to back.

1990 Presidents Cup Grand Final - Canberra Raiders 16 (Jason Death, David Boyle tries, Gavin Price-Jones 3 goals, Jason Gregory 2 field goals) defeated St George Dragons 12 (Troy Hodges, Jeremy Donougher tries, Ian Herron 2 goals) at Sydney Football Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 27. Gavin Price-Jones 28. Darrell McDonald 29. Brett Mullins 30. David Boyle 31. Jason Croker 32. Jason Gregory 33. Anthony Herring 39. Jason Death 38. Steve Stone (C) 37. Peter Field 36. Darren Fritz 35. Brett Boyd 34. Matthew Baker

Reserves: Roger Kenworthy, Tom Rolls, Luke Goodwin, Brett Gibson, Brett Goldspink

Coach Mick Doyle

1990 Reserve Grade Grand Final - Brisbane Broncos 14 (Darren Plowman, Ray Herring tries, Craig Teevan 3 goals) defeated Canberra Raiders 6 (Chris Kinna try, Mark Bell goal) at Sydney Football Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 14. Paul Beath 15. Brett Atkins 16. Mark Bell 17. Stuart Stanton 18. Chris Kinna 19. Michael Twigg 20. Craig Bellamy (C) 26. David Barnhill 25. Mark Lowry 24. Alex Corvo 23. Craig Breen 22. Wayne Collins 21. David Woods

Reserves: Steve Mills, Paul Jones, Ashley Gilbert

Coach Graham "Buck" Rogers

1990 Grand Final – Canberra Raiders 18 (John Ferguson, Laurie Daley, Matthew Wood tries, Mal Meninga 3 goals) defeated Penrith Panthers (Greg Alexander, Brad Fittler, Paul Smith tries, Greg Alexander 1 goal) 14

Canberra Raiders: 1. Gary Belcher 2. Paul Martin 3. Mal Meninga 4. Laurie Daley 5. John Ferguson 6. Chris O'Sullivan 7. Ricky Stuart 8. Brent Todd 9. Steve Walters 10. Glenn Lazarus 11. Nigel Gaffey 12. Gary Coyne 13. Dean Lance

14. Matthew Wood 15. Phil Carey 16. David Barnhill 17. Craig Bellamy

Coach Tim Sheens

Crowd: 41,535

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Mr. Snrub wrote:
January 10, 2019, 12:37 pm
greeneyed wrote:
January 9, 2019, 1:58 pm
I don't! The tape is at my parents' house in Canberra. Last time I was there I was trying to find a VHS player to buy, but they're really hard to find. I've got a lot of Raiders games on VHS from 1989 to about 2003. Once I get my hands on a VHS player and when I'm in Canberra next, I'll try and see if I convert them to a digital format and chuck them onto youtube. I even have the 1994 Grand Final with ABC commentary.
Try The Green Shed at the Mugga Lane tip. I donated mine there... in perfect order, but they're pretty hard to sell!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 11, 2019, 8:52 am

What might have been

1992 turned into a rebuilding season for the Canberra Raiders, after the squad was torn apart by the salary cap dramas of 1991. The Illawarra Steelers were having a break out season. The Steelers were placed in fourth when they visited Bruce in Round 19 - and had the second best defensive record. Canberra could not make the finals for the first time since 1986, but showed what might have been had the side made it.

In the end it was a six try demolition of the men in scarlet. Canberra just tore them apart. The Raiders led 14-2 at half time, and went on with it in the second half. Ricky Stuart was instrumental in the halves, Furner and Clyde carved it up in the forwards. A young Jason Croker impressed on the wing, while fullback Brett Mullins scored a double.

"From a coach's point of view, I think Ricky [Stuart] did everything I asked of him," coach Tim Sheens said after the match.

"It is a shame that a team as good as ours isn't going to contest it this year. Bradley Clyde comes back into the side and you see the sort of difference he makes, let alone [the injured] Belcher and Daley and those sorts of players. It's a bit unfortunate, but it's still something to build on and look forward to next year."

And build on it, they did.

Round 19 1992 - Canberra Raiders 38 (Brett Mullins 2, Gary Coyne, Jason Croker, Mal Meninga, Dave Woods tries, David Furner 7 goals) defeated Illawarra Steelers 2 (Rod Wishart goal) at Bruce Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 1. Brett Mullins 2. Sean Hoppe 3. Mal Meninga 4. David Boyle 5. Jason Croker 6. Scott Gale 7. Ricky Stuart 8. Darren Fritz 9. Steve Walters 10. Paul Osborne 11. David Furner 12. Steve Stone 13. Brad Clyde

14. Gary Coyne 15. Darrell McDonald 16. Dave Woods 17. Craig Bellamy

Coach Tim Sheens

Crowd: 7,944

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 12, 2019, 2:14 pm

Raiders confound the critics

The Canberra Raiders were the wooden spoon favourites at the start of 2006. There had been no big name signings. There had been weeks of drama surrounding the future of Raiders coach Matt Elliott just prior to the commencement of the season. He finally confirmed in mid February, he'd be leaving the Raiders for the Panthers in 2007.

The Manly Sea Eagles were heavy favourites in Round 1 on their home turf of Brookvale Oval. Three Raiders players were on debut, Adrian Purtell on the wing, Willie Raston at prop and Ben Jones in the second row. Six Raiders were out with injury, including Michael Weyman, Dane Tilse, Alan Rothery and Kris Kahler.

Veteran five eighth Jason Smith, however, was confident going into the match.

"We've had five months of solid training, we've got a lot of new structures in place and everyone is settled and ready to go," he said.

"You're going to see a completely different Canberra side play a completely different brand of football. There will be much more exciting play and more attacking prowess from a very promising outfit. I think we will surprise quite a few people."

The game was played in front of 17,000, mostly Manly fans who had come to see Matt Orford debut for the Sea Eagles. Instead, it was the likes of Jason Smith, Lincoln Withers, Clinton Schifcofske and Simon Woolford who were the dominant performers in the stunning win.

Canberra went to an early lead after just four minutes through a try to centre Phil Graham, after some quick passing from Jason Smith and Lincoln Withers - and the Raiders never relinquished the lead in the match. An almost identical move produced Canberra's second try, with Smith, Withers and Graham setting up Adam Mogg for the four pointer. It saw the Raiders head to the half-time break with a 14-8 lead.

Smith and Withers were again the conductors just seven minutes into the second half, when Clinton Schifcofske crossed the line. However, the video referee Paul Simpkins disallowed the try, with an obstruction ruled. Shortly after, Withers made a break, setting a up a try for Todd Carney, near the posts. A Schifcofske conversion gave the Raiders a 20-8 lead.

The Sea Eagles fought back, closing the gap to six points - and missed an opportunity 15 minutes from full time when fullback Brett Stewart knocked on with the line open. But an individual try to Raiders hooker Simon Woolford and a Todd Carney field goal sealed the 27-14 result for the Green Machine.

After the match, captain Clinton Schifcofske said he was used to the pundits writing his side off.

"The effort was great, we always put in a good effort, we have to," he said. "We need a team performance from everyone to win our games because we haven't probably got the superstars that a lot of the other teams have got."

Coach Elliott was pleased with the performance of his young team, particularly his debutants.

"A lot of people questioned playing so many young players at once ... there was a lot to be happy about there particularly for those three guys that debuted," Elliott said.

The news was not so good for Josh Miller, after he snapped his ACL in the 25th minute of the match, when he was making a tackle on Manly hooker Shane Dunley. The injury put him out of action for the rest of the season. It put a dampener on the result.

But for Raiders fans leaving the ground, it had still been an exhilarating win.

2006 Round 1 – Canberra Raiders 27 (Phil Graham, Adam Mogg, Todd Carney, Simon Woolford tries, Clinton Schifcofske 5 goals, Todd Carney field goal) defeated Manly Sea Eagles 14 (Steve Bell 2, Brett Stewart tries; Matt Orford goal) at Brookvale Oval

Canberra Raiders: 1. Clinton Schifcofske (C) 2. Adrian Purtell 3. Phil Graham 4. David Howell 5. Adam Mogg 6. Jason Smith 7. Lincoln Withers 8. Willie Raston 9. Simon Woolford 10. Troy Thompson 11. Ben Jones 12. Jason Croker 13. Alan Tongue

14. Todd Carney 15. Terry Martin 16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs 17. Josh Miller

Coach Matt Elliott

Crowd: 17,135

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 13, 2019, 2:32 pm

The unlikely hero of the 1994 Grand Final

Paul Osborne played 51 games with the Canberra Raiders, but he made no bigger impact than in the 51st, the 1994 Grand Final.

Osborne joined the Raiders in 1992 from the Dragons, but had not made a big impression. In 1994, he broke his foot and, due to a combination of injury and poor form he played limited first grade matches. He was scheduled to depart the Raiders at the end of the year, to play rugby league in England.

However, prop John Lomax, the Raiders' player of the year in 1994, was sent off in the Raiders' preliminary final win over North Sydney and was suspended from the Grand Final against the Bulldogs. And instead of getting on a plane, Osborne was recalled for one last match for Canberra. He'd not played first grade since Round 15, but he went on to play the match of his life, on the most important day of the year.

Osborne wore 46 on his back and started the match on fire, setting up two tries with amazing offloads - and setting the Raiders on their way to a third premiership.

"I hadn't played in a long time, I'd been out of first grade for months," he said later.

"I'd broken my foot earlier in the season and by the time I was back they were winning and I couldn't get into first grade. Then Johnny got sent off in the finals and I was the only one cheering.

"It wasn't until training on Saturday morning when super coach Sheens told me I was playing. I went home, I had to find my gear, I didn't know where my shorts were, I didn't know if they still fit me.

"The reason I wore number 46 was because it was the only one that would fit me. I tried them all on - 37, 38 ... (trainer) Bryan Hider's going, "Geez, we haven't got many more left, what are you going to play in?"

As he missed his flight to England, his arrangement to play in the northern hemisphere was terminated - and he did not play another first class rugby league game. It was a grand farewell.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine

Post by -PJ- » January 13, 2019, 3:26 pm

Ossie Ossie Ossie..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno » January 13, 2019, 8:48 pm

When John Lomax was suspended my heart sank, I thought it could be too tough for us.

Step forward Paul Osborne.... I still have a chuckle thinking about it

greeneyed
Don Furner

From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 14, 2019, 10:48 am

Wiki's final games

2004. The Canberra Raiders were in a struggle to make the top eight. They had produced four straight losses, heading into their final match of the season against the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Canberra. The Round 24 loss to the Roosters had seen the team fall to 12th on the ladder. A win, and a big win, was needed in Round 26 to ensure they could leap frog the Wests Tigers into eighth place.

That Round 26 clash -against the Rabbitohs - was the final home game for the legendary Ruben Wiki - who was tempted away from the club after 12 years by the Warriors. It was revealed later that the Warriors offer was inflated by salary cap cheating - but it was all too late by that stage. It was an emotional night, with Luke Davico and Joel Monaghan also having decided to leave the club. The Raiders were determined to give Wiki the home send off he deserved.

And they did more than what they had to do. Canberra led 22-12 at half time and went on to post 40 points in the second half. Marshall Chalk scored four tries in only his second first grade appearance. Clinton Schifcofske scored 20 points himself.

However, Wiki suffered severe ankle ligament damage in the first half, and was forced out of the match. After the game, he was on crutches but did a lap of honour. Tears streamed down his face, as he embraced the true believers in the crowd of just over 10,000. It looked like he had made his last appearance in the famous green jersey. But ankle ligament damage was not enough to stop a player who bled green.

He took the field in Week 1 of the finals against the Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium in jersey No. 22, his ankle supported by a plastic cast. He played for 74 minutes, made 25 tackles and 10 hit ups. It was Wiki at his best. But it was not enough. The Raiders lost 38-12 to the minor premiers. Wiki was consoled by former team mate, and Roosters coach, Ricky Stuart after the match.

"I don't think any other player would have played, but Ruben felt he owed it to the guys," Simon Wooford said later.

"It was an emotional day," Clinton Schifcofske said. "I'm a pretty emotional bloke and cry fairly easily, but there were a few bigger blokes than me crying that day."

"I just so much wanted to be part of it," Wiki himself said. "I'm just glad I got to put the jersey on one more time."

2004 Round 26 - Canberra Raiders 62 (M. Chalk 4, J. Croker 2, M. McLinden 2, B. Drew, A. Mogg, C. Schifcofske tries; C. Schifcofske 8, J. Croker goals) defeated South Sydney Rabbitohs 22 (M. Minichiello 2, R. Bell, B. Watts tries; J. Williams 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium

Canberra Raiders: 1. Clinton Schifcofske 2. Marshall Chalk 3. Adam Mogg 4. Joel Monaghan 19. Nathan Smith 6. Jason Croker 7. Brad Drew 8. Ryan O'Hara, 9. Simon Woolford (C) 11. Ruben Wiki 14. Michael Hodgson 12. Ian Hindmarsh 13. Tyran Smith

10. Troy Thompson 15. Josh Miller 16. Terry Martin 17. Mark McLinden

Coach Matt Elliott

Crowd: 10,839

greeneyed
Don Furner

From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 15, 2019, 11:58 am

Twelve man demolition

The Canberra Raiders had their most surprising season since 1987 in 2003. The Green Machine opened the season with a seven game winning streak, and up until Round 22 were in the top two in every week except one. The play was often criticised as "boring" - as it emphasised simple dummy half running from the likes of Brad Drew. But the play did become more expansive as the season progressed. And nothing pleased the fans more than winning football games.

The horrible away record of 2002 was turned around, the Raiders winning 10 from 13 matches played outside Canberra, and six from 11 at home - the Raiders sacrificing one home game to play the Warriors in Wellington.

One of the most surprising victories came one Sunday at Brookvale Oval in Round 22. The Raiders were running equal first, second on points differential. The Sea Eagles were running 12th. But then hooker and captain, Simon Woolford was sent off after just eight minutes for a high tackle on Luke Williamson. Canberra faced further adversity in the match with injuries to another key play maker, Mark McLinden (lacerated hand) and lock Tyran Smith (ribs).

But the Raiders led 26-0 at half time, and withstood a Manly comeback after half time, eventually piling on an incredible 51 points. Brad Drew came off the bench to cover at dummy half. Joel Monaghan was a star, scoring four tries. The courageous performance maintained the Raiders unexpected position on the ladder.

"We're not a team that can't do without some players. I've got a good armoury at my disposal," coach Matt Elliott said after the match.

"We're not a team that's going to fall apart without one player."

2003 Round 22 – Canberra Raiders 51 (Joel Monaghan 4, Jason Bulgarelli 2, Jamaal Lolesi, Adam Mogg, Clinton Schifcofske tries; Clinton Schifcofske 6, Brad Drew goals; Brad Drew field goal) defeated Manly Sea Eagles 16 (Steve Menzies 2, Mitch Creary tries; Ben Walker 2 goals) at Brookvale Oval

Canberra Raiders: 1. Clinton Schifcofske 2. Joel Monaghan 3. Adam Mogg 4. Jason Bulgarelli 5. Jamahl Lolesi 6. Jason Croker 7. Mark McLinden 8. Ryan O'Hara 9. Simon Woolford (C) 10. Luke Davico 11. Ruben Wiki 12. Ian Hindmarsh 13. Tyran Smith

14. Sean Rutgerson 15. Troy Thompson 16. Brad Drew 17. Alan Tongue

Coach Matt Elliott

Crowd: 10,485

greeneyed
Don Furner

From the Viking Vault

Post by greeneyed » January 16, 2019, 5:39 am

Record win over the Tigers, while Rapana scores four

68 68-0 V Parramatta, Bruce Stadium, August 22, 1993
62 66-4 V Easts, Bruce Stadium, April 15, 1990
62 74-12 V Penrith, Canberra Stadium, August 10, 2008*
56 66-10 V North Queensland, Bruce Stadium, April 14, 1996
56 56-0 V Brisbane, Canberra Stadium, August 1, 2009
*Highest ever score

54 60-6 V Wests Tigers, Canberra Stadium, April 23, 2016

Round 8 of 2016 - ANZAC Round - had everyone digging out the record books. It was - and is - the sixth biggest win in Canberra Raiders history. 60 points posted. The equal fourth biggest loss in Tigers history. It was difficult for Raiders fans to believe after Canberra had conceded 76 points in the previous two weeks against the Eels and the Sharks.

After the 40-16 loss to the Sharks in Round 7, coach Ricky Stuart had made some stinging comments about his team’s performance.

"There's a situation there where we've got a winger and a centre showing the whole team how to play, and it's embarrassing," he said. "We were shocking. We had five players [performing] today and I can't wait to have the other 12 follow their lead."

Stuart then named an extended bench for the Round 8 match against the Tigers - and ultimately dropped Frank Paul Nuuausala for Clay Priest, who didn't even have a Raiders contract a week earlier. Stuart had the players’ attention and their minds were right on the job.

The Tigers clash coincided with the night of the Forever Green former players reunion, and it turned into an 11 try romp. Some outstanding tries were scored, but the best came in the first half. Josh Hodgson ran out of dummy half in Raiders’ own end. Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana were loitering mid field and Hodgson set Leilua away - while Rapana backed up, streaking away to score a breath taking 70 metre try.

Josh Hodgson was masterful producing three line break assists and three try assists. Jordan Rapana ended up with four tries to his name. Ricky Stuart, pleased with his winger, produced a great tongue in cheek comment after the game.

"I sent a message down there at one stage to Jordy... Mal's here tonight, I don't want you getting five, because Mal's the only bloke who's got five at the Raiders."

Rapana joined a list of players, including John Ferguson and Brett Mullins, with four.

Ricky Stuart admitted after the match that he had needed to give the team a shake up a little earlier in the season.

"To be quite honest I was probably a bit soft in some of my [selection] decisions where we were going OK at the start of the season, a couple of blokes needed a rattle up then. I see that as a mistake of my own now, I shouldn't have done it after a 40-point loss."

But he certainly had an impact... and it was the start of bigger things to come in 2016.

Round 8 2016 - Canberra Raiders 60 (J. Rapana 4, J. Leilua Kelemete 2, S. Boyd, J. Croker, A. Sezer, P. Vaughan, E. Whitehead tries; J. Croker 8 goals) defeated Wests Tigers 6 (C. Lawrence try; J. Rankin goal) at Canberra Stadium
Halftime: Canberra 22-6

Canberra Raiders: 1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker (C) 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Sam Williams 7, Aidan Sezer 8. Shannon Boyd 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Joe Tapine 17. Clay Priest

Coach Ricky Stuart

Crowd: 13,420

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno » January 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

I wish I was Ruben Wiki