Charlie Gubb signs with Widnes Vikings

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 119887
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Charlie Gubb signs with Widnes Vikings

Post by greeneyed » July 26, 2018, 5:35 pm

Leigh Centurions leave departing Canberra Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Departing Canberra Raiders prop Charlie Gubb's career is in limbo as English club Leigh look to renege on his contract. He could get a lifeline from the Widnes Vikings with initial talks having already taken place. Gubb signed a contract with the Centurions for the rest of this season and also 2019 after the Raiders released him so he could secure his future.

Meanwhile, it's believed Raiders prop Dunamis Lui is on the verge of re-signing for three years.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4ztpg.html
Image

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1279
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Coastalraider » July 26, 2018, 5:47 pm

3 years for Lui!!!! What the hell kind of contract is that for a fringe first grader when we have youth coming through!!

LastRaider
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 916
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by LastRaider » July 26, 2018, 5:53 pm

Classic Raiders thing to do that, offer a NSW Cup equivalent forward a 3 year contract. Probably be something stupid like $1.2m as well


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

FROG
Alan Tongue
Posts: 692
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by FROG » July 26, 2018, 6:19 pm

I'm OK with the Lui resigning on the basis it's for what he is worth which would have to be under 300k a year. Do I have confidence that our management will sign him for what he is worth? No, I don't.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16659
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by edwahu » July 26, 2018, 6:23 pm

3 years for Lui is nuts.

raiderskater
John Ferguson
Posts: 2222
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Wighton, Baptiste
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by raiderskater » July 26, 2018, 7:36 pm

Coastalraider wrote:
July 26, 2018, 5:47 pm
3 years for Lui!!!! What the hell kind of contract is that for a fringe first grader when we have youth coming through!!
3 years for a solid, experienced forward who'll put in when you ask. Yeah, I'm down with that. the young guys need experienced players to support them.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29007
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by -TW- » July 26, 2018, 7:37 pm

I really hope it's 2+1 in the clubs favour

3 flat is ridiculous

User avatar
papabear
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5895
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by papabear » July 26, 2018, 7:39 pm

Sadly lui has been our best middle all year

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15528
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by -PJ- » July 26, 2018, 7:53 pm

I'm very surprised at the length of Lui's extension..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Brew
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6452
Joined: June 4, 2005, 11:35 am
Favourite Player: Blake Austin
Location: Bondi Junction

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Brew » July 26, 2018, 8:14 pm

-PJ- wrote:I'm very surprised at the length of Lui's extension..
My mind went elsewhere ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15528
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by -PJ- » July 26, 2018, 8:17 pm

Brew wrote:
July 26, 2018, 8:14 pm
-PJ- wrote:I'm very surprised at the length of Lui's extension..
My mind went elsewhere ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Back on topic thanks Brew..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

magoo
Alan Tongue
Posts: 611
Joined: March 9, 2015, 12:19 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead
Location: maroochydore

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by magoo » July 26, 2018, 8:40 pm

Brew wrote:
July 26, 2018, 8:14 pm
-PJ- wrote:I'm very surprised at the length of Lui's extension..
My mind went elsewhere ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
:roflmao

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21111
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Seiffert82 » July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.

sprintman
Simon Woolford
Posts: 434
Joined: July 11, 2015, 5:57 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Canberra

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by sprintman » July 27, 2018, 2:36 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.
Most intelligent comment on here for weeks, if not months

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 29095
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by dubby » July 27, 2018, 7:48 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.

Yeah I can't fault Lui at all. He's been very good. And competition for spots is a good thing
Image

User avatar
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13001
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Green eyed Mick » July 27, 2018, 8:42 am

sprintman wrote:
July 27, 2018, 2:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.
Most intelligent comment on here for weeks, if not months
Agree. He's not going to break the bank and he's been more consistent and performed better than a number of forwards on substantially more money.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Steve Walters
Posts: 7687
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Roger Kenworthy » July 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Green eyed Mick wrote:
July 27, 2018, 8:42 am
sprintman wrote:
July 27, 2018, 2:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.
Most intelligent comment on here for weeks, if not months
Agree. He's not going to break the bank and he's been more consistent and performed better than a number of forwards on substantially more money.
We'd say 90% of the players on our roster wouldn't break the bank, yet the bank is broken.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30340
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Matt » July 27, 2018, 9:22 am

dubby wrote:
July 27, 2018, 7:48 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.

Yeah I can't fault Lui at all. He's been very good. And competition for spots is a good thing
Had a Barry Crocker vs Sharks. But he has been better than solid since returning from the ACL injury.

Is he worth a 3yr deal? Hmmm... probably not, be we have the same problem brewing in 2020 that we had this yr. Too many off contact. So, with that in mind, 3 yrs is probably better than 2, but as TW said, if its 2+1, even better again.

User avatar
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13001
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Green eyed Mick » July 27, 2018, 9:34 am

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
July 27, 2018, 9:12 am
Green eyed Mick wrote:
July 27, 2018, 8:42 am
sprintman wrote:
July 27, 2018, 2:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
July 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Lui has earned his paycheck a hell of a lot more than a couple of other highly paid from rowers in this team.
Most intelligent comment on here for weeks, if not months
Agree. He's not going to break the bank and he's been more consistent and performed better than a number of forwards on substantially more money.
We'd say 90% of the players on our roster wouldn't break the bank, yet the bank is broken.
We offered Austin a reported $700K a year. Thats pretty compelling evidence that Don and Ricky are **** useless ****.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30340
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Matt » July 27, 2018, 9:39 am

^^^yep

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by Pigman » July 27, 2018, 6:10 pm

Unless you know the money, how can you complain about the 3 years for Liu

I mean what if it’s 3 years, 500k?
Then locking a solid back up, squad filling FG down for 3 years makes a **** ton of sense

I get that’s probably not the case but I’d generally push back against criticism of this until we know a ball park figure of his salary


Edit: that being said the reaction is understandable. If you did nothing but assume Stuart, Mulholland and Furner paid massive overs for everyone, you’d rarely be surprised
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12646
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by bonehead » July 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

Pigman wrote:Unless you know the money, how can you complain about the 3 years for Liu

I mean what if it’s 3 years, 500k?
Then locking a solid back up, squad filling FG down for 3 years makes a **** ton of sense

I get that’s probably not the case but I’d generally push back against criticism of this until we know a ball park figure of his salary


Edit: that being said the reaction is understandable. If you did nothing but assume Stuart, Mulholland and Furner paid massive overs for everyone, you’d rarely be surprised
this.

I've been pretty happy with what he's brought so far, happy to keep him as well so long as it's NRL bench money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16659
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Leigh Centurions leave departing Raiders prop Charlie Gubb in limbo

Post by edwahu » July 27, 2018, 6:36 pm

Pigman wrote:
July 27, 2018, 6:10 pm
Unless you know the money, how can you complain about the 3 years for Liu

I mean what if it’s 3 years, 500k?
Then locking a solid back up, squad filling FG down for 3 years makes a **** ton of sense

I get that’s probably not the case but I’d generally push back against criticism of this until we know a ball park figure of his salary


Edit: that being said the reaction is understandable. If you did nothing but assume Stuart, Mulholland and Furner paid massive overs for everyone, you’d rarely be surprised
Yeah fair call, I just assume its on good money these days.

Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Posts: 71
Joined: November 30, 2017, 9:34 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Charlie Gubb signs for the Widnes Vikings for the remainder of the 2018 SL season

Post by Goobeeful » July 28, 2018, 10:47 am

Charlie Gubb signs for Widnes Vikings

Widnes Vikings have signed NRL forward, Charlie Gubb, from Canberra Raiders for the remainder of the 2018 season.

Charlie Gubb says: “It’s been a bit of a surreal 24 hours, but I’m excited by the opportunity that has emerged to join Widnes Vikings,"

“I had a few different opportunities to consider, but I was excited by the one presented to me by James Rule and Widnes Vikings. I know that the Vikings have some quality players and some very exciting young talent, so I’m looking forward to joining them in the fight to sustain their Super League status.”

He continues, “I’ve heard great things about the club and its supporters, so it will be a great honour to wear the Vikings shirt and represent the team.”

Read more: http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/news/art ... ns-for-the

Ex Raider Charlie Gubb joins Widnes Vikings: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zu59.html

Post Reply